The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

On another subject...

Does anyone know any hunters that have one of those "Game Cameras"?

The type you can set out and have them shoot pics when something is moving in the field of vision...

A little more specificity, please. How is it to be use? Inside or out? I can't offer what I believe you want, but I may have an alternative . . .

In the last week, three coins, and a WJTB have gone missing within a day, or a couple of days of them being dropped in caches. I'm looking for a way to drop a coin or two as bait, and, well now you know why I want a camera. :)

Well about 6 or 7 tomorrow morning we are pulling out to start full timing it again.

I sure hope you folks can get the bid for the mega event,maybe that would be a big enough draw for us to return,LOL.

Mama wants to go to Nashville to see the Grand Ole Opery, HHHmmmm sounds like fun HEH HEH with all the caches there, the only thing is I don't care for the weather going east this time of year and or the later months.

I'm looking at the pacific coast of Baja between San Quintin and Punta Abreojos. There are a few beaches we can get a 32ft MH onto so maybe we will go down there for a few months, do a little fishing, beachcombing, and I have 3 stunt kites I haven't flown in quite awhile.

Wherever we go we will keep the SD crowd in our hearts and minds.

Did anyone else notice that Garmin is giving away t-shirts on their blog for testimonials:

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/06/...y_winners_.html

We need to get some geocaching stories out there!

Yep, got one already!

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/06/...s_the.html#more

blog_teether_jason_elenaritter2.jpg

CONGRATS Slueths!!! That makes two San Diego geocachers that have won!!

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/07/...s_the.html#more

patriotic_rock_1.jpg

Well about 6 or 7 tomorrow morning we are pulling out to start full timing it again.

I sure hope you folks can get the bid for the mega event,maybe that would be a big enough draw for us to return,LOL.

Mama wants to go to Nashville to see the Grand Ole Opery, HHHmmmm sounds like fun HEH HEH with all the caches there, the only thing is I don't care for the weather going east this time of year and or the later months.

I'm looking at the pacific coast of Baja between San Quintin and Punta Abreojos. There are a few beaches we can get a 32ft MH onto so maybe we will go down there for a few months, do a little fishing, beachcombing, and I have 3 stunt kites I haven't flown in quite awhile.

Happy Trails!

Keep in touch. I'll check your logs from time to time to see where you are travelling. :)

Happy Trails!

Keep in touch. I'll check your logs from time to time to see where you are travelling. :)

Knock on wood for the best of good times Vagabond. Do keep in touch with us.

0d7c5de8-c0e6-4113-9518-dc200cba4cb2.jpg

Good thing Sandy and I came along that day, no way you would have found that Lowe's hide without us.

Happy Trails!

Knock on wood for the best of good times Vagabond. Do keep in touch with us.

0d7c5de8-c0e6-4113-9518-dc200cba4cb2.jpg

Good thing Sandy and I came along that day, no way you would have found that Lowe's hide without us.

SNORT SNORT

well we are now running wireless for the first time, so I guess all we have to do is look for the hot spots, until we get the sat.dish.

And we will keep you all posted hopefully with some wonderful pics

Sign me up!

I'm thinking Mission Bay.

-Cool in the summer

-Campland by the Bay

-Lots of Hotels close by

-Lots of open space for a picnic

Just ideas.

D!

I just looked at Campland by the Bay's site, and this could be a perfect spot. 650 camping and RV sites is more than enough. They also have a large area for parties!

Does anyone know how far ahead they reservse spaces? Memorial weekend in San Diego is going to be busy!

On another subject...

The type you can set out and have them shoot pics when something is moving in the field of vision...

A little more specificity, please. How is it to be use? Inside or out? I can't offer what I believe you want, but I may have an alternative . . .

In the last week, three coins, and a WJTB have gone missing within a day, or a couple of days of them being dropped in caches. I'm looking for a way to drop a coin or two as bait, and, well now you know why I want a camera. :)

Ah, sneaky. I'm afraid I cannot help with that, unless . . . I have an idea, if you don't get anyone else chiming in with a camera. I'll talk with you privately about it.

I have a concern...

Although I am newish to Geocaching, I worry for the future of caching in Penasquitos. There are 2 young men setting out caches and changing their usernames without much aforethought. One of them has changed his username and RELOGGED all of his finds from the previous username, but using TODAY'S DATE. Yes, they are enthusiastic and I have been able to get 2 FTF from the caches, but something does not seem right. Some of you have been to these caches and some have posted notes. I call upon your experience and knowledge.

I have no problem with the name change...but I think it would be polite/cool to use the correct date and delete the old log.

But in looking at QuicklyQuigKing's logs I notice they are logging there own caches and they said they signed the log in a virtual cache...makes me wonder if they really did the virtual...however comma...I resigned my job as the chief of the Geo-cache Police.

So have a nice day and happy caching!

Not only that, they logged 4 fairly difficult virtuals in 3 states in one day! Not too shab! But I ain't no geo-cop either! :) But Trailgators does require a photo for San Jacinto Peak so he's got da badge!

4.gif (3/4.5)

virtual.gif 10 Dec 02Hot Spring Petroglyphs by bobnpaty (GCB3A4)

Arizona Today*

4.gif (1/5)

virtual.gif 9 Jun 03Gateway to the Submerged Forest by Team PL (GCG8M7)

California Today*

4.gif (1/4)

virtual.gif 26 Jun 03San Jacinto Peak by Trailgators (GCGBWX)

California Today*

4.gif (1/1)

virtual.gif 22 Dec 02Flower Labyrinth by David & Diana (GCB79B)

North Carolina Today*

Alrighty,

First, I did not do the the virtual caches with QuicklyQuigKing of San Jacinto nor the North Carolina caches. Any caches that I logged from 6/25/06 - 7/14/06 were done by me alone as he was on vacation. We will resume doing caches together. However, I do not believe in logging my own caches. I believe there is nothing to worry about with the future of Penasquitos caching, however there is not a lot of caches in the main part of Rancho Penasquitos, and there should be more. This is my personal opinion. QuicklyQuigKing changed his username so I believe logging the caches under this name was ok. After all, isn't the visiting of the cache what really matters :o

Let's all have a good time caching, ok?

O.K. Folks time for some serious San Diego Area Geocaching Discussions...

The date is May 26th, 2007. The event is Geowoodstock V.

THE BIG QUESTION: If Geowoodstock 5 were held in San Diego how much help and support would there be?

:) How cool would that be to have GW V in San Diego! You can count on Team Reid for major help/support. Just let us know when the planning parties (I mean meetings) are and we'll be there!

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid :o

THE BIG QUESTION: If Geowoodstock 5 were held in San Diego how much help and support would there be?

:o How cool would that be to have GW V in San Diego! You can count on Team Reid for major help/support. Just let us know when the planning parties (I mean meetings) are and we'll be there!

GB! and TM are in...well we are in if we are in town.... :)

Your not the only one, first comes lamp-post micros and now this, the sport is taking a turn for the worse:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...01-5fa746ab4d15

The thread:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...0entry2341541

PW

:o How cool would that be to have GW V in San Diego! You can count on Team Reid for major help/support. Just let us know when the planning parties (I mean meetings) are and we'll be there!

GB! and TM are in...well we are in if we are in town.... :)

the gang's all here and willing to help

In the last week, three coins, and a WJTB have gone missing within a day, or a couple of days of them being dropped in caches. I'm looking for a way to drop a coin or two as bait, and, well now you know why I want a camera. :lol:

Your not the only one, first comes lamp-post micros and now this, the sport is taking a turn for the worse:

The thread:

PW

This coin theft thing was going on last summer too. Someone stole a coin of Cornerstone's we left in the Wegie Cache. Then it suddenly stopped and I thought it was safe again. Now this. I wonder if it is someone who vacations in SD during the summer?

Does anyone know if the two femaile hikers pulled off of Poway Mtn by helicopter today were cachers? Or were they just hikers?

The news is sketchy so far. I'd guess not, but there is insufficient information to say for sure...

POWAY ---- A helicopter crew rescued two hikers felled by heat exhaustion in a remote area of eastern Poway Saturday afternoon , firefighters said.

The two female hikers were part of a group that began hiking the rugged Iron Mountain Trail off of Highway 67 around 8:30 a.m. Shortly before noon, temperatures climbed into the triple digits and the hikers grew weak with symptoms of heat exhaustion, Poway fire Capt. Shawn Tierney said.

"It's extremely hot out there, they began to feel weak and were not able to go on," Tierney said. The Poway fire department sent helicopter and ground crews to the scene two miles up the trail and the hikers were transported by air to Pomerado Hospital for treatment.

The hikers are reportedly women aged 17 and 23 from the Oceanside area, Tierney said.

In the last week, three coins, and a WJTB have gone missing within a day, or a couple of days of them being dropped in caches. I'm looking for a way to drop a coin or two as bait, and, well now you know why I want a camera. :D

The thread:

PW

This coin theft thing was going on last summer too. Someone stole a coin of Cornerstone's we left in the Wegie Cache. Then it suddenly stopped and I thought it was safe again. Now this. I wonder if it is someone who vacations in SD during the summer?

IMHO, once you place ANYTHING in a cache, you might as well have tossed it in the wind. It's the same thing with TBs. I have activated over 250 TBs and if I expected any of them to continue to travel about the way they are intended, I would end up being greatly disappointed. Some of them actually do travel, and to great distances. But most of them get lost or stolen. Too bad we aren't an honest species. But my philosophy is something to the effect that the placement of a TB is a way of thanking the owner of a cache for a good placement, and a way to thank GC.com by way of a financial contribution to ensure continuation of the sport. TBs and coins do seem to attract cachers more so than non-trackable swag, so placement encourages cachers to visit caches with bugs and coins. But we would be fooling ourselves to think for a moment that we can exercise any sort of control over any swag left in a cache after the fact.

Several years ago there were Cache Pirates who were very brazen about their intentions to steal caches and travel bugs. This bad behavior caused quite a stir, but in the end there was little anyone could do about it short of refraining from putting TBs in caches. Perhaps we have reached a point in time where placing trackables is not safe. The pirates eventually got tired of their little larcenous game, and slunk away into the swamps. And they rarely hit any cache that took any sort of effort (mental or physical) to find, so putting valuable items in difficult caches is probably still safe.

Anyway, I wish we were all as honest as the folks we all pal around with in this sport. Obviously, there are those out there who have discovered an easy way to steal a collection of coins through this sport. Take away the bait and the rats will eventually die off. So I would suggest limiting the placement of any valuable swag in caches that are considered too difficult to find for the anonymous thieves. After all, they should be a prize of sorts anyway, right? Which suggests they should only go in a deserving cache, however we all might individually make that call.

On the positive side of things, a couple years ago we released four travel bugs (FlagMan, FlagMom, FlagSon Evan and FlagSon Andrew) in Las Vegas (our then vacation spot), each with a goal to go to some distant part of the world that was going to be the location of our next vacation. Well, the FlagMan TB actually made it to England, and was in London when we were there (FlagSon Evan is currently in Japan and I think the other two disappeared). It was only though my own stupidity that I failed to grab him while we were just there. I had planned to get him and I somehow missed the notification when he was placed in a London cache three days before we left. I thought he was still logged into an event cache, but he had actually been released just a few miles from our hotel and easily reached using the Tiube. Now THAT TB did exactly what he was supposed to do, thanks to all the great cachers out there all over the world! Too much fun!! :D

:D How cool would that be to have GW V in San Diego! You can count on Team Reid for major help/support. Just let us know when the planning parties (I mean meetings) are and we'll be there!

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid :D

GB! and TM are in...well we are in if we are in town.... :D

:D:D Count us in also B)B)

THE SPLASHES

the gang's all here and willing to help

The date is May 26th, 2007. The event is Geowoodstock V...

But of course! I mean, after all, San Diego is one of the country's premier destinations for conventions of all sorts. Although this may not be a "Convention Center" type convention, it is definitely a "convention" and San Diego certainly has the facilities to host an event like this. I have all kinds of connections in the Hospitality Industry and with all the convention folks, so I can and will certainly help in any way I can. When's the first planning meeting? Do you need some help on the application to the Selection Committee?

I have only ideas for the write up to the selection comittee. First and formost, we need a location. Dave (C4) suggested Lake Skinner for the actual event/picnic and I like the lake but I'm afraid that is too small for folks who want to camp, especially on Memorial Day week end. I have a list of items the selection people want addressed in the application. I will send it to you via email Tom.

I guess one thing to decide right off the bat is whether we should communicate as a planning group via an e-mail distribution list or through a separate thread on the forums or both. It seems this topic should (eventually) probably have its own thread.

I like the idea of a thread. That way, those of us that may or may not be able to help can still "listen in" & if something comes up that we COULD do, we could jump in. :D

Trouble is, is there any way to keep the thread so that just SD cachers see it & no one else? That way, people from other areas that plan on coming to it can't get all of the secrets ahead of time. :D:D

But of course! I mean, after all, San Diego is one of the country's premier destinations for conventions of all sorts. Although this may not be a "Convention Center" type convention, it is definitely a "convention" and San Diego certainly has the facilities to host an event like this. I have all kinds of connections in the Hospitality Industry and with all the convention folks, so I can and will certainly help in any way I can. When's the first planning meeting? Do you need some help on the application to the Selection Committee?

I have only ideas for the write up to the selection comittee. First and formost, we need a location. Dave (C4) suggested Lake Skinner for the actual event/picnic and I like the lake but I'm afraid that is too small for folks who want to camp, especially on Memorial Day week end. I have a list of items the selection people want addressed in the application. I will send it to you via email Tom.

I guess one thing to decide right off the bat is whether we should communicate as a planning group via an e-mail distribution list or through a separate thread on the forums or both. It seems this topic should (eventually) probably have its own thread.

I like the idea of a thread. That way, those of us that may or may not be able to help can still "listen in" & if something comes up that we COULD do, we could jump in. :D

Trouble is, is there any way to keep the thread so that just SD cachers see it & no one else? That way, people from other areas that plan on coming to it can't get all of the secrets ahead of time. :D:D

When Podcacher (Sonny & Sandy) were setting up the geocaching booth for the NECC conference, they used Yahoogroups.com and that worked real well. It made sure the entire group received all the same emails, yet still kept is private.

Google just came out with a Beta of Google Trends, which allows users to see the popularity, including geographical popularity, of keyword searches.

Congrats to San Diego:

Worldwide ranking of #6 for searching "Geocache"; #9 for "Geocaching"; #7 for "Garmin"; #2 for "Magellan"; #9 for "rattlesnake"; and #9 for "hiking".

Pretty cool stuff. Try it out.

Trouble is, is there any way to keep the thread so that just SD cachers see it & no one else? That way, people from other areas that plan on coming to it can't get all of the secrets ahead of time. :):D

When Podcacher (Sonny & Sandy) were setting up the geocaching booth for the NECC conference, they used Yahoogroups.com and that worked real well. It made sure the entire group received all the same emails, yet still kept is private.

I'd be more than willing to help out in any way possible, especially in the planning stages. If I can put together million $$$ rock and roll tours, I can certainly lend some logistics help on GW V.

*Tony

Holy Ammocan, Batman! :)B) B) B):lol: Anyone know happened????

Yeah, I do, but I'll let Jeff fill you guys in when he gets the chance.

Oh BABY, I can't wait! :(

Most of the archived logs read "adios pinelands" or "Unliked and unloved".

And his The New Jersey Thread last had an entry in April 2006.

Nothing good can come from speculation. Read Cowspots reply...

Edited by FlagMan

Holy Ammocan, Batman! :)B) B) B):lol: Anyone know happened????

:(

Yeah, I do, but I'll let Jeff fill you guys in when he gets the chance.

Oh BABY, I can't wait! :)

Most of the archived logs read "adios pinelands" or "Unliked and unloved".

And his The New Jersey Thread last had an entry in April 2006.

Tom, I don't think anybody is speculating from the replies so far...Chuy was simply quoting Jeff's archiving logs. I was just curious, and of course Jeff doesn't owe any of us an explanation. B)

Tom, I don't think anybody is speculating from the replies so far...Chuy was simply quoting Jeff's archiving logs. I was just curious, and of course Jeff doesn't owe any of us an explanation. :)

I can't and won't speculate on what happened (due to insufficient information) but the apparent suddeness of archival and the wording of the logs seem ominous. Jeff doesn't owe any of us an explanation and if he chooses to remain silent, we'll just have to be content with that. That said, he is "family" to the San Diego caching community and we do care about him. Hopefully, that all that seems ominous has a benign explanation.

Tom, I don't think anybody is speculating from the replies so far...Chuy was simply quoting Jeff's archiving logs. I was just curious, and of course Jeff doesn't owe any of us an explanation. B)

I can't and won't speculate on what happened (due to insufficient information) but the apparent suddeness of archival and the wording of the logs seem ominous. Jeff doesn't owe any of us an explanation and if he chooses to remain silent, we'll just have to be content with that. That said, he is "family" to the San Diego caching community and we do care about him. Hopefully, that all that seems ominous has a benign explanation.

There is an explanation, and I am sure Jeff will let everyone know what's going on in due course. Didn't mean anything by my post other than to head off the natural tendency of folks to jump to conclusions. Its probably better right now to just talk about something else.

So how 'bout them Padres! They rack up 28 runs in 4 games and only have one win to show for it! Whassup with that?!?

Edited by FlagMan

It was so hot again today . . . and with the Forums down . . . I didn't know what to do to keep busy, so I went into San Diego to be closer to the water where it was cooler. I walked over to "Don't Fear the Reaper" and discovered it had been muggled . . . B)

That was one of my favorite caches. I got to know that location very well during two lengthy visits trying to find that cache . . .

It was so hot again today . . . and with the Forums down . . . I didn't know what to do to keep busy, so I went into San Diego to be closer to the water where it was cooler. I walked over to "Don't Fear the Reaper" and discovered it had been muggled . . . B)

That was one of my favorite caches. I got to know that location very well during two lengthy visits trying to find that cache . . .

When I visited The Reaper the other day they were setting up for some big event there on the Island, so I actually took some of the surrounding sand and debris and practically covered it because I knew there would be a ton of people there.

Was anything salvaged or is it all just gone?

It was so hot again today . . . and with the Forums down . . . I didn't know what to do to keep busy, so I went into San Diego to be closer to the water where it was cooler. I walked over to "Don't Fear the Reaper" and discovered it had been muggled . . . :laughing:

It saddens me greatly to learn of the likely muggling of "Don't Fear the Reaper." Pulling that trick on my little brother with the help of Tom and Dan was probably one of the greatest experiences I've ever had geocaching, and seeing the look on Jeff's face when he realized that he'd been had was simply priceless.

It was so hot again today . . . and with the Forums down . . . I didn't know what to do to keep busy, so I went into San Diego to be closer to the water where it was cooler. I walked over to "Don't Fear the Reaper" and discovered it had been muggled . . . :laughing:

It saddens me greatly to learn of the likely muggling of "Don't Fear the Reaper." Pulling that trick on my little brother with the help of Tom and Dan was probably one of the greatest experiences I've ever had geocaching, and seeing the look on Jeff's face when he realized that he'd been had was simply priceless.

Quick, Dan-oh, to the bat cave for a new lid and ammo can!

When I visited The Reaper the other day they were setting up for some big event there on the Island, so I actually took some of the surrounding sand and debris and practically covered it because I knew there would be a ton of people there.

I was warned to avoid the Island this weekend since the Over the Line tournament was going on. So did anyone hear the name of the team that won and can it be repeated with kids around? :laughing:

I was warned to avoid the Island this weekend since the Over the Line tournament was going on. So did anyone hear the name of the team that won and can it be repeated with kids around? :laughing:

I don't even know what the Over The Line tournament is or was???

Welcome to San Diego...

It's either a game (See here for the rules) or a wild weekend of debauchery -- a.k.a. "beer, babes and bats on the beach" (See here...) depending on your perspective...

Edit: I guess it's actually two weekends (Jul 15-16 & 22-23)...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

http://www.ombac.org/over_the_line/index.html

from a random news article.

"Organizers said some 20,000 spectators and players showed up at the Fiesta Island event and a total 50,000 are expected over the course of the two-weekend tournament, which is known for its raunchy team names, female chest flashers and alcohol-fueled participants and spectators."

Did anyone else notice that Garmin is giving away t-shirts on their blog for testimonials:

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/06/...y_winners_.html

We need to get some geocaching stories out there!

Yep, got one already!

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/06/...s_the.html#more

blog_teether_jason_elenaritter2.jpg

CONGRATS Slueths!!! That makes two San Diego geocachers that have won!!

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/07/...s_the.html#more

patriotic_rock_1.jpg

Not Technically a San Diego Cacher anymore, but I made it onto the blog too :laughing:

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/2006/06/...e_winners_.html

My steering wheel with my gps on top.

Chris - Nero

They got the fire out quickly but from where I saw all the emergency vehicles, PQGeoTrekkers PARK VILLAGE CACHE might have bit it, not from the fire but from the trampling.

From the Follow-Up to Old News Department:

Here's a couple of pictures that I took of the burn area (from the new 40-MPH Turn cache). According to the log, the Park Village Cache was singed and the log baggy melted. The baggy was replaced and the cache is back in business. No other caches were inside the perimeter.

25087590-65a3-4b2d-b6fb-1d47f35adb14.jpg

342e3535-8b0b-4ec7-8436-6e7551852147.jpg

Quick, Dan-oh, to the bat cave for a new lid and ammo can!

Rescued the bottom half of the cache container. So just need a new lid, an ammo can and some swag and we'll be back in bidness...

I noticed that someone (Clayjar) has a rather negative bookmark list about misusing the scuba

attribute on this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f9-b78e963bb337

I sent him a rather scathing note that says the attribute related to it being a puzzle cache. But to no avail as yet.

Looking at the list, I wonder how some of the traditional caches listed justify using the scuba attribute when

they aren't really a scuba cache? Weird, but I wish bookmark lists weren't used in this way.

I noticed that someone (Clayjar) has a rather negative bookmark list about misusing the scuba

attribute on this cache:

I sent him a rather scathing note that says the attribute related to it being a puzzle cache. But to no avail as yet.

Looking at the list, I wonder how some of the traditional caches listed justify using the scuba attribute when

they aren't really a scuba cache? Weird, but I wish bookmark lists weren't used in this way.

I am one of five users that didn't find the list useful :lol: .

Thanks for the heads up.

attribute on this cache:

I noticed there are other TT caches that made the list.

On another note...it was only 108 in OKC today but not to worry it is supposed to be hotter tomorrow and Friday.

Edited by GoBolts!