The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

That picture at the top of this page just cracks me up every time I view this thread. I am going to miss it when the page turns over. RM

I nominate the photo for Most Favorite. Does anybody know what the cache is near or in it? ... not that I have to go or anything! /pun!

Hmmm, I am heading up to Wisconsin in a few weeks so I could try it out along Hwy 94! But my family yells at me whenever I try stop for a cache....
Don't tell them that you're stopping for a cache. Tell 'em it's a potty stop. :wub:
"Hey kids these bushes look like a good spot to go! No wait! I think this tree looks like a good spot! No wait! I think under these rocks over here look like a good spot! Yes this is the spot! Ahhhhh! "

So I get in car and drive 20 more miles then I see another cache coming up on my GPS which is hidden between my legs....

"Hey kids you won't believe this but I have to go again! Hey! I see I nice guardrail coming up that looks like a really good spot for me to go!" :wub:

"Daddy? Why are you stopping to go potty in the Home Depot parking lot?" :wub::wub::wub:

...and this is a man that shattered his elbow in 17 places that is giving advice: TT aka Black Knight

Pat,

Let's be fair. It was ONLY 15 pieces. 14 of which have healed up nicely with one floater still hanging around in my triceps somewhere.

And it was a little more than a "flesh wound"

(oh you know it's time for a token re-appearance of your fav photo) :P <barf mode>

aac1496d-8912-44e5-b75e-853b10be4a93.jpg

</barf mode>

BTW...Saw "Spamalot" on Broadway last month. Very very funny! Must see if you're a Python fanatic!

--TT--

Oh boy that reminds of when I was about 9 mor 10 and my Mom worked for a veterinarian. They would do all their surgery at night and I would get to watch. Sometimes staying up until 1 or 2 in the Morning, lots of neat stuff :wub::wub::wub::wub:

I missed seeing this one. :wub::wub:

...and this is a man that shattered his elbow in 17 places that is giving advice: TT aka Black Knight

Pat,

Let's be fair. It was ONLY 15 pieces. 14 of which have healed up nicely with one floater still hanging around in my triceps somewhere.

And it was a little more than a "flesh wound"

(oh you know it's time for a token re-appearance of your fav photo) :wub: <barf mode>

photo removed...

</barf mode>

BTW...Saw "Spamalot" on Broadway last month. Very very funny! Must see if you're a Python fanatic!

--TT--

Oh boy that reminds of when I was about 9 mor 10 and my Mom worked for a veterinarian. They would do all their surgery at night and I would get to watch. Sometimes staying up until 1 or 2 in the Morning, lots of neat stuff :wub::wub::wub::wub:

I missed seeing this one. :wub::P

I didn't. There goes a perfectly good plate of bacon and eggs. Thanks for helping me with me diet!

D!

OK, San Diegans, this is my plan: I intend to hit 400 caches at the same time I hit 100 puzzle caches. That would be cool, no? A puzzle percentage of 25% would be sweet. I just learned of puzzle canyon so it should be possible. I think I'll make a push to solve some more local ones (I live in Clairemont) and the DAK girl semi-puzzles. Wish me luck!

That does remind me of a question, though. If I have logged something labeled Traditional ("Code Name: Floppy") that is clearly a puzzle, and I convince the owner to change it to be a puzzle, do my stats update immediately, or is the stat based on the moment you log it?

OK, San Diegans, this is my plan: I intend to hit 400 caches at the same time I hit 100 puzzle caches. That would be cool, no? A puzzle percentage of 25% would be sweet. I just learned of puzzle canyon so it should be possible. I think I'll make a push to solve some more local ones (I live in Clairemont) and the DAK girl semi-puzzles. Wish me luck!

That does remind me of a question, though. If I have logged something labeled Traditional ("Code Name: Floppy") that is clearly a puzzle, and I convince the owner to change it to be a puzzle, do my stats update immediately, or is the stat based on the moment you log it?

Even if you solve all the puzzles in Puzzle Valley it will take you several trips to find them because most of them involve hikes. Getting 15-20 puzzles down there in a day would be a realistic goal.

Anytime a cache is reclassified it instantly shows up in your stats with the new classification. Note that only admins can change the classification. For example, I had a traditional cache I converted to a virtual 2.5 years ago because at that time the rangers decided not to allow traditional caches in that park. So everyone that found that cache prior to that date lost one tradtitional find and gained one virtual find.

Edited by TrailGators

Once a cache type is set, it's not possible for an owner to change it. Admins can change the cache type, but they are reluctant to do so because it will affect everyone's stats. If it makes you feel better, there are a few puzzle caches out there that aren't really puzzles. It tends to average out over time. By the way, some of the DAK Girls multis also involve puzzles so there's no way to score all the puzzles as puzzles unless you keep your own private count.

Edit: Wiz Creations just put out a cache this morning that you can do either as a puzzle or as a multi. It's classed as multi though.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

...and this is a man that shattered his elbow in 17 places that is giving advice: TT aka the Black Knight

Somebody say "The Black Knight?"

The license plate is a nice touch, Harmon.

Every time I do a cache in boulders, that picture of Jeff's elbow jumps unbidden into my mind. It makes me extra cautious--probably not a bad thing.

42fd6e6b-992f-4f46-9bef-57646065ef1d.jpg

Once a cache type is set, it's not possible for an owner to change it. Admins can change the cache type, but they are reluctant to do so because it will affect everyone's stats. If it makes you feel better, there are a few puzzle caches out there that aren't really puzzles. It tends to average out over time. By the way, some of the DAK Girls multis also involve puzzles so there's no way to score all the puzzles as puzzles unless you keep your own private count.

Edit: Wiz Creations just put out a cache this morning that you can do either as a puzzle or as a multi. It's classed as multi though.

Admin...changes cache types all of the time...I can think of three in the last few months...tell the owner to send an e-mail to Marko R. and it will be done....however comma I believe the owner has to want it changed.

However comma comma Please realize that the "?" does not stand for "Puzzle" it stands for "Unknown" and this could be a puzzle or could simply be for an unknown hide or if the owner simply want to keep it a mystery...or...or :wub:

Edited by GoBolts!

Whatever they are--I like 'em! The work of solving the puzzle makes the quest that much sweeter. Or whatever mystery it is hiding. It's interesting how there are even combinations of types, so the cache has to be labeled something. Like the Jenny's Two toned cache is a multi and a puzzle combined.

Just wait, I'm planning to place a few puzzles myself.

Whatever they are--I like 'em! The work of solving the puzzle makes the quest that much sweeter. Or whatever mystery it is hiding. It's interesting how there are even combinations of types, so the cache has to be labeled something. Like the Jenny's Two toned cache is a multi and a puzzle combined.

Puzzles? Somebody else likes puzzles? :wub:

...and this is a man that shattered his elbow in 17 places that is giving advice: TT aka the Black Knight

Somebody say "The Black Knight?"

The license plate is a nice touch, Harmon.

Every time I do a cache in boulders, that picture of Jeff's elbow jumps unbidden into my mind. It makes me extra cautious--probably not a bad thing.

42fd6e6b-992f-4f46-9bef-57646065ef1d.jpg

The Black Night TNLNSL license-plate image was probably the very first of the Photoshop gags posted on a San Diego Forum thread. It was posted right after TTs smashed-elbow accident. Looking back to that day it seems so natural that TT was the first victim.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Puzzles? Somebody else likes puzzles? :unsure:

:o:D No No No No... help us!! Remember the last time T.A teamed up with someone to make a puzzle?...we spent 3 weeks in Puzzle Valley! Paul he was just kidding..he means crossword puzzles in the TV Guide...yeah that's it.

Puzzles? Somebody else likes puzzles? :o

:D:D No No No No... help us!! Remember the last time T.A teamed up with someone to make a puzzle?...we spent 3 weeks in Puzzle Valley! Paul he was just kidding..he means crossword puzzles in the TV Guide...yeah that's it.

:D:DB):unsure:

Puzzles? Somebody else likes puzzles? :unsure:

Oh great! Now, Paul's gonna place another 30 or so puzzle caches... :o

However comma comma Please realize that the "?" does not stand for "Puzzle" it stands for "Unknown" and this could be a puzzle or could simply be for an unknown hide or if the owner simply want to keep it a mystery...or...or :unsure:

I just noticed (because I was creating a new cache) that GC.com is not at all consistant about this label. In one location, it calls them "Unknown". In another, it calls them "Unknown (Mystery)". In a third location, calls them "Mystery or puzzle" and in a fourth location, it is "Mystery/Puzzle".

Take your pick then and call 'em whatever you want to call 'em. :o

Well, get ready to start hunting for GJTB's!! (Green Jeep Travel Bugs)

The contest is starting August 1st.

So are Splashette and Ruscal each getting 10 of them again? :ph34r:

Ohhh, I hope we get 5 each again to distribute!!!

Splashman said that Jeep is the '04 - '05 concept vehicle called the Rescue or the new extended unlimited. He has been saying since then that that's the one he wants, but I don't think they manufacture them yet.

Is that color green????????? OR just gross....yuck............ :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Splashette

So are Splashette and Ruscal each getting 10 of them again? ;)

Ohhh, I hope we get 5 each again to distribute!!!

Splashman said that Jeep is the '04 - '05 concept vehicle called the Rescue or the new extended unlimited. He has been saying since then that that's the one he wants, but I don't think they manufacture them yet.

Is that color green????????? OR just gross....yuck............ :laughing::laughing::ph34r:

Splashette

It's looks gold to me......I think the Rescue is cool looking! Do they make a hybrid? :ph34r:

Anyhow whether it's green or gold or gross it is still a GJTB! :laughing:

Puzzles? Somebody else likes puzzles? :laughing:

Oh yeah, baby. I like puzzles. Geocache puzzles or otherwise. For geocache puzzles I like 'em easy and I 'em tough. I prefer ones where when you get the answer, you know it is right immediately, either because it is obvious, or because you have a checksum. I prefer ones where the hide isn't cammoed to death, because my enjoyment is in the solving, and the journey, not a 45 minute search in some bushes. But that's just me.

I think its great that people put so much time into making the puzzles for so few people that actually find them. I just found Devhead's "You Will Wish You Had Wings" and it looks like it gets visited only 6 times/year.

I found five TT puzzles in one day last weekend, which I was pretty pleased with, but there are still some that elude me. Of about 19 of his that I know of that are around here, I think I've cracked 10 of them. (By the way, Duncan's "TT's San Diego Puzzle Caches" bookmark list is missing "Yada Yada" and "Somewhere in San Diego")

I'm starting to make progress on your puzzles now, Team Adelos! Five found so far. Another 10+ solved and waiting for my 1st puzzle valley trip. Good stuff!

I've found a lot of Duncan's puzzles, also good stuff! The last few should fall shortly! International Dog and Bone was fun. I've had a good time solving Dr. Boggis's puzzles, Devhead's puzzles, Look Over There's puzzles, Polar Bear's puzzles, and most everyone elses. Given that this is essentially a self-regulated venture it's a little surprising that more of the puzzles aren't dumb or poorly designed.

Not everyone likes puzzles, though. That's fine. It's cool that geocaching has enough elements to appeal to different types of people.

So what's the big deal about this? It's a photo contest, essentially, right? And the chance of winning a real jeep is going to be pretty difficult with all those submissions. So what is the big deal? I've been reading about these white jeeps from last year and can't really figure out why everyone get's so excited about them.

Puzzles? Somebody else likes puzzles? :laughing:

Oh yeah, baby. I like puzzles. Geocache puzzles or otherwise. For geocache puzzles I like 'em easy and I 'em tough. I prefer ones where when you get the answer, you know it is right immediately, either because it is obvious, or because you have a checksum. I prefer ones where the hide isn't cammoed to death, because my enjoyment is in the solving, and the journey, not a 45 minute search in some bushes. But that's just me.

---snip---

:laughing::laughing::(;):laughing::)

Paul, don't listen to him. He's delusional. He's been locked up in a small space and forced to write code for months on end. Occasionally, they let him out to attend "lunch meetings". He doesn't really mean it... :D:D:D:D

I've been reading about these white jeeps from last year and can't really figure out why everyone get's so excited about them.

They used to be very rare and difficult to find.

Now I think it's because they are a fun thing for the little kids to find!

Edited by TrailGators

We dropped ours in the mail today.

DaMoores, we missed you last night. You guys are in the first pic on the banner by iTrax and FoxTail that's going to be displayed at the NECC Event.

d9a56e3c-4be9-4c59-8fc9-ee5cf92dea45.jpg

Actually, Team Geogeeks made the banner....I took the pic with DaMoores in it. :laughing: That was our first weekend out there at Skillet's place in the wild wacky weather CITO event! Yeah....where were they last night??

Gecko dad may recognize the fox pic and itrax took the pic of the container and the group pic for the event. I don't know who took the CITO pic. I think it was Passing Wind and then there's me signing the log in Hawaii. (I didn't take that pic.) :laughing:

Edited by Team Geogeeks

Actually, Team Geogeeks made the banner....I took the pic with DaMoores in it. :D That was our first weekend out there at Skillet's place in the wild wacky weather CITO event! Yeah....where were they last night??

Gecko dad may recognize the fox pic and itrax took the pic of the container and the group pic for the event. I don't know who took the CITO pic. I think it was Passing Wind and then there's me signing the log in Hawaii. (I didn't take that pic.) :ph34r:

Actually... didn't John of JD Built make the banner :anicute:

Given that this is essentially a self-regulated venture it's a little surprising that more of the puzzles aren't dumb or poorly designed...

This only applies to FlagMan puzzles... :ph34r:

Hmmm. I must not have done any of FM's dumb ones yet...I wonder which those are? For the record, I can recall TT saying -- in reference to one of FM's puzzles -- "You have done well, my Padawan learner..." :D:anicute:

Actually, Team Geogeeks made the banner....I took the pic with DaMoores in it. :D That was our first weekend out there at Skillet's place in the wild wacky weather CITO event! Yeah....where were they last night??

Gecko dad may recognize the fox pic and itrax took the pic of the container and the group pic for the event. I don't know who took the CITO pic. I think it was Passing Wind and then there's me signing the log in Hawaii. (I didn't take that pic.) :anicute:

Actually... didn't John of JD Built make the banner :D

Yeah, but by default he's a geogeek right??? Being married to him and all. :ph34r: