The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I'm not sure if any of you have been following this thread over in the main forums or not.

Raine at Groundspeak is finishing up testing on a new way to plot caches along a route. Basically, you can use Google Earth to plot a to and from route of your travels. Save that as a kml file, upload the kml file to the geocaching site, and it will give you a query along your route. They are going to keep other parts of the query functions active for this as well so you can specify distance off your route, and cache types and ratings as well.

That will be tons easier than the way I have been doing that!

This is an awesome feature. Cant wait. Currently I am using a couple filters an the GSAK to build it up. Pretty cool.

I'm not sure if any of you have been following this thread over in the main forums or not.

Raine at Groundspeak is finishing up testing on a new way to plot caches along a route. Basically, you can use Google Earth to plot a to and from route of your travels. Save that as a kml file, upload the kml file to the geocaching site, and it will give you a query along your route. They are going to keep other parts of the query functions active for this as well so you can specify distance off your route, and cache types and ratings as well.

That will be tons easier than the way I have been doing that!

This is an awesome feature. Cant wait. Currently I am using a couple filters an the GSAK to build it up. Pretty cool.

I agree! Great feature!

As long as this thread is devolving :D:D , has this happened to anyone??

Read this log.

I would have been major upset if I was bringing my kids to this park. :D:)

You didn't recognized the couplers, er couple did you? :) Whew! That was close, er, I mean . . . :D

Seriously, you're right, of course, it is supposed to be a "public" park. There is even a children's play area. I'm not sure, but I might have called the cops--especially if I thought that children might see.

As crazy as this sounds, does anyone know how one can download all caches in California? This is a gross example, but the idea still applies. Get more than 500 queries.. rather than specify a zip code zone.. I am finding that even the zip in my area of interest is over 500 caches so I miss some.. I am starting to plot routes but I can not plan them without the data in my database. Any ideas? I heard of geotoad, but that looks like it may create a lot traffic on the geo-servers.

As crazy as this sounds, does anyone know how one can download all caches in California? This is a gross example, but the idea still applies. Get more than 500 queries.. rather than specify a zip code zone.. I am finding that even the zip in my area of interest is over 500 caches so I miss some.. I am starting to plot routes but I can not plan them without the data in my database. Any ideas? I heard of geotoad, but that looks like it may create a lot traffic on the geo-servers.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the gc.com route gizmo will be released before you need it! :blink:

Maybe you'll get lucky and the gc.com route gizmo will be released before you need it! :blink:

Ya, I saw that.. Pretty cool and I can't wait to try it! Hey, by the way,

Have a Happy Fathers Day! :o

Maybe you'll get lucky and the gc.com route gizmo will be released before you need it! :o

There are about 80,000 caches in CA! :blink:

Happy Father's Day!

Edited by TrailGators

If you need your route soon, email Raine at Groundspeak.com. If you route your trip in GoogleEarth, save it as a .kml file, and then email it to him with your parameters, he'll generate the caches you need for your trip.

Like C4 says, if you know your route and can send either a Google Earth .kml file, or a .gpx file to Raine at GC.com, he will send you a file of the caches. They are working on a new feature for the website, but it isn't ready for prime time yet.

When I went to Colorado, I used Mapsource to get the coordinates of places along the way. Since I didn't know what highways I was going to take, I created and ran about 15 new Pocket Queries, based on those widely-spaced locations, in the days leading up to my departure.

The process was time-consuming . . . but then I have a lot of time on my hands . . . :blink:

Since I didn't think I would be taking any hikes, I limited the PQs to caches with a Difficulty of '2' and under and a Terrain rating of '2' and under.

I created a preparation for a road trip tutorial in my blog.

:o:o:PHappy Fathers Day, Guys!! :):):P

Ok folks, I need more training. :o:blink:

We're going to go on a trip & I want to pick & choose which caches we download. How does one get the caches one wants into gsak? :P:):o

Please "use little words" & in-depth instructions. :) I'm sure I'm not the only one that would like this info. :P

Another way, which I haven't tried myself, is to load the Google Earth Geocaching Browser and just "fly" along your route adding caches you want to a bookmark list, then get your gpx file from that. I'm sure the actual steps involved are described somewhere in the forums.
We're heading over to Ireland, London and Paris this Friday, so if anyone has any trackables that would like to get across the pond, get them to me by Thursday and I will see what I can do...
So kiss me and smile for me,

Tell me that you'll wait for me,

Hold me like you'll truly let me go.

f0ff3242-96fa-4a36-9248-1e11d936bb6b.jpg

'Cause I'm leaving on a jet plane

Don't know when I'll be back again -

Oh Babe, I'd love to go

Edited by SD Rowdies
We're heading over to Ireland, London and Paris this Friday, so if anyone has any trackables that would like to get across the pond, get them to me by Thursday and I will see what I can do...

Oh Babe, I'd love to go

Is that what they mean over there by the term "Ugly American?" :blink::o:o:P

Edited by TrailGators

Oh Babe, I'd love to go

Is that what they mean over there by the term "Ugly American?" :blink::o:o:P
Ugly yes, but ain't 'e got th' sweetest eyes? Edited by SD Rowdies

Oh Babe, I'd love to go

Is that what they mean over there by the term "Ugly American?" :laughing::laughing:

:laughing::laughing:

Ugly yes, but ain't 'e got th' sweetest eyes?

Yes they are! :P How come you don't have French fries up your nose? :laughing:

I really think Tom should take Uncle Harmy along! :lol:

Edited by TrailGators

Oh Babe, I'd love to go

Is that what they mean over there by the term "Ugly American?" :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Ummmm . . . doughnuts. Is there anything they can't do?

Edited by Snake & Rooster

As living on the East Coast has but one benefit, I'd thought I'd share that all with you:

I get to see Prime Time first.

And I'm watching the Treasures Hunters show...

Lemme just say, there is a team from SD and it's pretty clear why Tom, and J&J did not make the cut.

Politely put, let's just say that they....couldn't fill out the demographic for San Diego. :laughing:

And I"m thoroughly unimpressed with the puzzles in it so far.

The puzzle crew could probably have busted them in about...oh five minutes on a bad day.

Praise indeed.

--TT--

As living on the East Coast has but one benefit, I'd thought I'd share that all with you:

Lemme just say, there is a team from SD and it's pretty clear why Tom, and J&J did not make the cut.

Politely put, let's just say that they....couldn't fill out the demographic for San Diego. :laughing:

The puzzle crew could probably have busted them in about...oh five minutes on a bad day.

Praise indeed.

--TT--

An intriguing comment, Jeff. Now I suppose I will have to watch it anyway :laughing:

Oh Babe, I'd love to go

Is that what they mean over there by the term "Ugly American?" :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
Ummmm . . . doughnuts. Is there anything they can't do?

Want some donuts little girl?

quote]

Want some donuts little girl?

Harmon,

Remember. 70's era conversion vans drive on the LEFT side of the road, so the sliding door may be on the

wrong side for you.

Replace bags of candy with pints of Guiness though, and should have no problems. :laughing:

--------------------------

Ireland?!?! Lucky sod! Get to Galway if you can. And definitely under all dire circumstances tour the Guiness brewery in Dublin.

Do NOT order black and tans while in the Republic.

--TT--

Harmon,

Remember. 70's era conversion vans drive on the LEFT side of the road, so the sliding door may be on the

wrong side for you.

Replace bags of candy with pints of Guiness though, and should have no problems. :laughing:

--------------------------

Ireland?!?! Lucky sod! Get to Galway if you can. And definitely under all dire circumstances tour the Guiness brewery in Dublin.

Do NOT order black and tans while in the Republic.

--TT--

TT,

Thanks pal. I don't know what I would do without youngsters like you to help me through these high-priced modern times.

Back in my day a DQ Dilly Bar would get y' all th' female affection a guy could want. Thank gosh th' Geobabes still fall for my ol' DQ trick even though I do have t' spring for two Dilly Bars at a time. Don't laugh, fixed income has its limitations.

Lemme see now, Galway, left side of th' road, no Black & Tans, Guiness Brewery in Dublin, got it, my bags are packed and I'm ready to go ....

Wonder how soon FlagMan will call?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

If anyone be hikin' up Iron Mountain soon, I need a lil' help. I jes got a note sayin' that me micro container at Belly Trimmer V - Iron Mtn. has fallen out of the "holder" it was in and is laying on the ground. I won't be able to get back up there for a couple weeks due to my schedule. Any help would be appreciated! If ye haven't found the hide yet and aren't familiar with it, email me for particulars. Arrrrr.

Praise indeed.

--TT--

An intriguing comment, Jeff. Now I suppose I will have to watch it anyway :laughing:

Ditto that! They gave them all the solutions! The cylinder had the simplest of substitution ciphers spelled out for them, then Mount Rushmore -- first thing that popped into my mind -- the order of the presidents as shown in the sculpture -- c'mon! I'm bored already. At least they didn't eliminate the eye candy...

Praise indeed.

--TT--

Ditto that! They gave them all the solutions! The cylinder had the simplest of substitution ciphers spelled out for them, then Mount Rushmore -- first thing that popped into my mind -- the order of the presidents as shown in the sculpture -- c'mon! I'm bored already. At least they didn't eliminate the eye candy...

And after watching, I now understand your comment, TT. FlagMan and John & Jess never had a chance. There are some real, how shall I put this . . . scatter-brains, on the show. If you don't get the puzzle, all you have to do is guess answers until they tell you that you got it. Not much of a challange. I don't see a big difference between this and Amazing Race. <insert yawn>

Praise indeed.

--TT--

And after watching, I now understand your comment, TT. FlagMan and John & Jess never had a chance. There are some real, how shall I put this . . . scatter-brains, on the show. If you don't get the puzzle, all you have to do is guess answers until they tell you that you got it. Not much of a challange. I don't see a big difference between this and Amazing Race. <insert yawn>

:laughing::laughing:WE watched it also and both John and I agreed..Jess is much prettier than those dumb bartenders and way smarter too.

Politely put, let's just say that they....couldn't fill out the demographic for San Diego. B)

Praise indeed.

--TT--

An intriguing comment, Jeff. Now I suppose I will have to watch it anyway :lol:

:laughing::tired:WE watched it also and both John and I agreed..Jess is much prettier than those dumb bartenders and way smarter too.

I watched too. I thought the gals from San Diego were "grad students"....Anyhow, I agree with you! ;) The puzzles would be a difficulty of level one for us. It seems obvious that Air Force or CIA are going to run away with this thing. They seem pretty competitive. I hope the puzzles get tougher each week!.

Could my neighbors please educate a San Diego newbie on how to pronounce "Jamul" (ha-mool, I'm guessing, but where's the accent?) and "Kumeyaay" (no clue -- how many syllables are in that "yaay")?

I do know how to pronounce that wealthy coastal neighborhood where the seal pups are: from the distant past I recall Red Skelton's routine about the rich folks in "La Ho-ya" who "hump into their Haguars, get out on the freeway, and drive like Jell." :laughing: Thanks.

Could my neighbors please educate a San Diego newbie on how to pronounce "Jamul" (ha-mool, I'm guessing, but where's the accent?) and "Kumeyaay" (no clue -- how many syllables are in that "yaay")?

I do know how to pronounce that wealthy coastal neighborhood where the seal pups are: from the distant past I recall Red Skelton's routine about the rich folks in "La Ho-ya" who "hump into their Haguars, get out on the freeway, and drive like Jell." :laughing: Thanks.

You're right on the ha-mool, with the emphasis on the mool.

Kumeyaay is Ku'-my-yay...or close to that.

Edited by Toby's Gang

I do know how to pronounce that wealthy coastal neighborhood where the seal pups are: from the distant past I recall Red Skelton's routine about the rich folks in "La Ho-ya" who "hump into their Haguars, get out on the freeway, and drive like Jell." :unsure: Thanks.

Try saying Jamacha while you're at it! First time I went down to that area I was looking for Hammashaw Blvd. :laughing:

I do know how to pronounce that wealthy coastal neighborhood where the seal pups are: from the distant past I recall Red Skelton's routine about the rich folks in "La Ho-ya" who "hump into their Haguars, get out on the freeway, and drive like Jell." :unsure: Thanks.

Try saying Jamacha while you're at it! First time I went down to that area I was looking for Hammashaw Blvd. :laughing:

Just think of the word "Jamul" as something that you would shout at a camel.

"Jamul! Jamul!"

Hello all

My company insists that I go GeoCaching in N.E. Illinois next week, 26-28. Oh ya...I got to do about 3 hrs of work while I'm there too.

The Kids got me a Vista Cx to take along too. I'll be taking back a few TB, Anybody have somthing to head'n east? I'll see what I can do.

Gene

Oh Babe, I'd love to go

...AT LEAST HE GOT RID OF THE PINK BAGGIE HE WORE IN AN EARLIER POSE :):rolleyes:

Oh Babe, I'd love to go

...AT LEAST HE GOT RID OF THE PINK BAGGIE HE WORE IN AN EARLIER POSE :):rolleyes:

So is the Uncle Harmy TB going to Ireland? :rolleyes:

Hey, we ran into Team Fatman while driving around Encinitas today! Nice to "meet" you (well, until all those people in a hurry started to honk at us!) and nice to see those plates finally getting some "recognition!" :) We'll probably run into you more often as we are thinking of moving out there!

So is the Uncle Harmy TB going to Ireland? :)

"Ah, lass, would ya' like to see m'lucky charms...?"

( :P Ummm...it might be better to leave the Uncle Harmy Lucky Leprechaun TB here... :huh: )

So your sayin' that th' Irish have all th' trouble they need are y'?

Not to worry, I can tell, they're not gonna call so I'll be left standing at th' gate.

Maybe I should have worn my Von's baggie-hat. Style is everything I suppose. Don't laugh, grand children love the look. Well, you know, between ages three and three and a day.

Edited by SD Rowdies