The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I am taking the family on an easy day trip to the pertoglyphs at Little Blair Valley, Anza Borrego State Park. After that we are going up the the split at Borrego MT. We are going to do some Geocaching along the way. If anyone is interested, email me.

rm975@yahoo.com

Please post times and dates; many of us cache on a day to day basis and will not bother notifying you unless they are certain to go. I fall in this category.

94900309-b01a-4bd0-969e-f61d19f43f96.jpg

Well, gosh darn it! I journeyed up Spring Canyon to go get the northerly caches. I got all the way up to "DELIVERANCE" in spite of the Marines patrolling the ridge above. Then when they went down into the canyon, I went up onto the ridge. The tactic worked well until they spotted me headed toward "Take Cover" and they came up to speak with me.

So here's the scoop. The.KMZ file that TG's friend put together appears to be pretty accurate. There is supposed to be a sign in Spring Canyon that marks the spot where you have to stop and turn around. The signpost is still there (and there is a line of rocks across the trail.) The sign keeps getting stolen. The Marines said that they are going to put up a gate as soon as they can allocate some money. This sign post is very close to the boundary shown in TG's .KMZ file. "Farther Than the Farthest Star" is OK but the terrain rating has gone up if you want to get there without venturing into the "No Go" zone. "C.E.G. Workout #1" and the caches north of there are definitley over the line.

Also, the ridge is definitely off limits. They are very concerned about people being up there due to stray rounds from live fire exercises.

One other thing -- for the most part, they (the Marine MPs) are being pretty friendly (they even made sure that I had enough water before they sent me on my way) but they can cite you for trespassing on military property...

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

Last week at the MTRP Armistice and Barbeque, there was still some discussion as to the actual location of the Miramar boundaries and the incidences in those areas. I was interested too so I asked the engineer at my company to create this map for me.

The lines are based on the San Diego County Assessors maps so the locations aren't guaranteed but they're usually pretty darn close.

The first screenshot shows those boundary lines. The second also shows the caches in the area. Notice how far into Federal land we have gone.

The area labeled Military Reservation is actually the old Camp Elliot so I don't know how this affects us or if the Marines even patrol there.

If you want the kmz file so you can open it in Google Earth, just email me and I'll send it to you.

Remember, this all just my opinion and I'll be out there with everyone else getting those caches.

700c864a-8578-4dc0-9445-c8ff0aafa550.jpg

Based on the information posted by Toby's Gang and several incidents with the MP at MCAS Miramar, several of the caches on the rim trail have been archived. I recognize that various maps show differing boundary lines, but the MPs of Miramar have confronted several cachers and insisted that they leave the rim trial because of the possibility of errant live fire rounds from their training exercises. This is a situation where any error should be on the side of caution, so I am asking that all caches on the rim trail that are farther north from A Cache Too Far? by T. R. Violin (GCR9RJ) be removed and no new caches placed on that trail. The northerly caches in Spring Canyon (down below the rim trail) are probably OK for now, but nothing past "DELIVERANCE" by the BBB by bradybunchboys (GCVKVB) should be placed. That pretty much closes the trails north of 52 to new cache placements, which is probably a good thing based on overall cache density considerations.

Thank you for your understanding and for your contributions to geocaching.

Marko Ramius

Volunteer Cache Reviewer

I thought this was an interesting story in our local Ramona paper about a lady that was bitten by a tick.

Ater reading this remember to go find this one.

Tick bite sends woman on three-week ordeal

By CHUCK PREBLE Ramona Sentinel

Allie McVay did not notice she had been bitten by a tick until several hours after she returned from tend­ing her Mussey Grade garden.

"I felt an itch on my thigh and there it was," said McVay.

A large tick had worked its way up her pant leg and burrowed deep into her skin. "I removed it with some needle-nosed pliers," said McVay.

Being an avid hiker and camper who spends many of her summers in Washington state, McVay has had prior experiences with ticks. The Ramona resident was about to do battle with the effects of this partic­ular bite that would eventually send* her to the emergency room.

Ticks can carry several diseases, but the two most dangerous are Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. Each has similar symptoms and both have been known to cause death. The symptoms include fatigue, chills, fever, headache, depression, swollen lymph nodes, and muscle and joint aches. In the case of Rocky Mountain spotted fever, nausea and a characteristic rash develop. Without medical treatment, kidney fail­ure and shock can lead to death.

Both diseases are spread by the American dog tick, the lone-star tick, and the wood tick. All live in wooded areas and tall, grassy fields and are most active in those areas during the spring and summer. One week after her bite, McVay noticed a rash develop at the bite site.

"I went to my doctor and explained I was bitten by a tick," McVay said. Her doctor conducted a blood test for Lyme disease, but it came back negative. In the case of Lyme dis­ease, the symptoms may not mani­fest for up to 30 days. The doctor did not do a blood test for Rocky Mountain spotted fever and instead referred her to a gynecologist as well as a der­matologist with a suspected diagnosis of fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is a widespread musculoskeleltal pain and fatigue disorder that causes pain in muscles, ligaments and tendons. It has been described as "brain fatigue" in which patients feel totally drained of energy and have difficulty concentrating and sleeping and also suffer with nausea, headaches, stress and depression. "Other symptoms began to mani­fest in me," said McVay. "I became very nauseous, noticed swollen lymph nodes, had no energy, and was very depressed." Within a week, McVay was unable to get out of bed. She would have seven additional blood tests before the doctors, upon her insistence, tested for spotted fever. "That test would turn out to be pos­itive," said McVay. But before the test was conducted, McVay still had a long road to go.

Her doctor suggested putting her on anti-depressant medication. "It did not matter what I told the doctors, and I refused the anti­depressants," she said. "What I needed was antibiotics." McVay talked to her veterinarian and described her symptoms. "The vet hit it right on the money and confirmed what I already knew. I had Rocky Mountain spotted fever."

From her bed, McVay began doing her own research on the disease. "Every Web site I visited contained the same list of symptoms I was experiencing, yet no one in the med­ical field seemed to take me serious­ly:'

During week three, McVay was rushed to the emergency room with severe dehydration. "I thought I was dying and would never see my 3-year-old daughter grow up," McVay said. "I slept all day, had no energy, and was in con­stant pain throughout my body." I It was then she decided to become ~ her own advocate. She demanded her doctor prescribe antibiotics. Reluctantly, her doctor put her on a series of Dicloxicillin.

Within days McVay began to notice a change in her symptoms. Her constant vomiting subsided and muscle cramping began to be less severe. Her depression and slurred speech vanished. "Had doctors lis­tened to me from the start, I would have been placed on antibiotics weeks before," she said.

During her three-week ordeal, McVay dropped 20 pounds and suf­fered what she describes as intense pain. "I thank God for talking to my vet," she laughed.

It is McVay's hope that local vets and doctors get together and discuss Lyme disease and Rocky Mountain spotted fever. "The Vets see ticks all the time and know the symptoms. If a patient comes to a doctor with knowledge of a tick bite, the doctor should lis­ten to their patient and perhaps as a cautionary measure begin antibi­otics," McVay said. "I had to fight for them! You must demand antibi­otics and become your own advo­cate:"

There is no vaccine available to protect humans against Rocky Mountain spotted fever and it is sug­gested to avoid areas where ticks are found. This is easier said than done when one lives in the country.

There are a few precautions offered. One is to wear long sleeves and long pants tucked into socks. After outdoor activities, check your body where ticks are commonly found: behind the knees, between finger and toes, under arms, in and behind ears, on the neck, hairline and top of the head. After removing the tick, save it in a jar for future identification. Be sure you remove the entire tick, which includes the head. If you begin developing a fever, headache, nau­sea and/or a rash, seek medical attention immediately and bring the tick with you.

Allie McVay is doing fine now, but wants the medical community to know that there are ticks out there that can indeed cause death without proper treatment.

"Signs should be posted in county parks alerting the community of potential tick activity," McVay said. "Parents need to inspect themselves and their children after they have played in a field or walked in the woods. No one should have to go what I went through."

Well, gosh darn it! I journeyed up Spring Canyon to go get the northerly caches. I got all the way up to "DELIVERANCE" in spite of the Marines patrolling the ridge above. Then when they went down into the canyon, I went up onto the ridge. The tactic worked well until they spotted me headed toward "Take Cover" and they came up to speak with me.

So here's the scoop. The.KMZ file that TG's friend put together appears to be pretty accurate. There is supposed to be a sign in Spring Canyon that marks the spot where you have to stop and turn around. The signpost is still there (and there is a line of rocks across the trail.) The sign keeps getting stolen. The Marines said that they are going to put up a gate as soon as they can allocate some money. This sign post is very close to the boundary shown in TG's .KMZ file. "Farther Than the Farthest Star" is OK but the terrain rating has gone up if you want to get there without venturing into the "No Go" zone. "C.E.G. Workout #1" and the caches north of there are definitley over the line.

Also, the ridge is definitely off limits. They are very concerned about people being up there due to stray rounds from live fire exercises.

One other thing -- for the most part, they (the Marine MPs) are being pretty friendly (they even made sure that I had enough water before they sent me on my way) but they can cite you for trespassing on military property...

Hey, it's a good idea to stay off of the ridges. I work in San Carlos now & it seems like I'm always hearing munitions going off. :laughing: Hate for one of you to find out where the marines are the hard way... :laughing:;):D

Hey, it's a good idea to stay off of the ridges. I work in San Carlos now & it seems like I'm always hearing munitions going off. :laughing: Hate for one of you to find out where the marines are the hard way... ;):D:laughing:

That's Harmon and Cegrube you're hearing. :angry:

Hey, it's a good idea to stay off of the ridges. I work in San Carlos now & it seems like I'm always hearing munitions going off. ;) Hate for one of you to find out where the marines are the hard way... :D:angry::laughing:

That's Harmon and Cegrube you're hearing. :laughing:

Yeah, old guys have t' watch what they eat.

While out caching last night, we did a cache that took us into a storm drain.

It was a very large corrugated steel drain, and we were a good 250 feet into the tunnel. I looked down at my 60CSx, and the darn thing had maintained a lock all the way in the tunnel! It lost signal for a second when I had everything tucked in my arm for signing the log, but it re-aquired the signal quickly, and accurately tracked us back out.

I was pretty amazed to say the least!

It was a very large corrugated steel drain, and we were a good 250 feet into the tunnel. I looked down at my 60CSx, and the darn thing had maintained a lock all the way in the tunnel! It lost signal for a second when I had everything tucked in my arm for signing the log, but it re-aquired the signal quickly, and accurately tracked us back out.

Yes I have noticed the same thing with my "X" the new receiver/processor in the 60x's and 76x's are incredible...I get a signal inside at my computer and in the heaviest tree cover...under walk ways, under bridges and in tunnels. Also noticed that I get a signal anywhere on a train…my old unit (LOL I said unit) would only work if I held it up to the window. Got to love the "X".

Edited by GoBolts!

Yes I have noticed the same thing with my "X" the new receiver/processor in the 60x's and 76x's are incredible...I get a signal inside at my computer and in the heaviest tree cover...under walk ways, under bridges and in tunnels. Also noticed that I get a signal anywhere on a train…my old unit (LOL I said unit) would only work if I held it up to the window. Got to love the "X".

You guys with those X's need to loan them to us non X'ers so we can try them out. :)

You guys with those X's need to loan them to us non X'ers so we can try them out. :)

I'd have a hard time parting with it to ship it to you...but if come back for a visit, I'd be happy to let you use it for a couple of days...without holding your Rubi as ransom either! :)

You guys with those X's need to loan them to us non X'ers so we can try them out. :(

I'd have a hard time parting with it to ship it to you...but if come back for a visit, I'd be happy to let you use it for a couple of days...without holding your Rubi as ransom either! :(

Thanks for the generous offer. I wouldn't want to take it from you for a couple of days, but maybe on my trip out in late June/early July I can check it out. :(

While sitting at work, on a break, (that's my story) I was thinking about Miragee's fondness for the word View in caches. I went and typed in the keyword "view" and found out there were 5132 caches with view in the title. That got me started so I just kept entering words as they came into my head....

Lake - 4013

river - 3305

stream - 215

ocean - 119, I was kind of suprised with all the great ocean areas that this # was so low.

stroll - 315

hike - 543

bike - 562, we must prefer biking over hiking.

hide - 1216

cache - 33763, seems like a winner.

cash - 257, not much of this available.

Just the ramblings from somebody who had too much time on his hands "during his break". I didn't check but I'm pretty sure Altoids and lamp post should be up there somewhere.

While sitting at work, on a break, (that's my story) I was thinking about Miragee's fondness for the word View in caches. I went and typed in the keyword "view" and found out there were 5132 caches with view in the title. That got me started so I just kept entering words as they came into my head....

Lake - 4013

river - 3305

stream - 215

ocean - 119, I was kind of suprised with all the great ocean areas that this # was so low.

stroll - 315

hike - 543

bike - 562, we must prefer biking over hiking.

hide - 1216

cache - 33763, seems like a winner.

cash - 257, not much of this available.

Just the ramblings from somebody who had too much time on his hands "during his break". I didn't check but I'm pretty sure Altoids and lamp post should be up there somewhere.

I really struggled to NOT use the word "View" in one of my most recent cache names because the views are astounding.

13fd02a1-24fb-4295-8873-d17051ed5d61.jpg

Instead, I called it "Arachnophobes Not Invited." That should bring a lot of visitors, shouldn't it . . . :rolleyes:

:unsure:

I know this isn't the correct thread for paperless talk, but do any of you know how to get a Palm PDA to hot sync with Windows ME? We finally got a PDA and the Palm website says they don't support Windows ME. So..I can't download cachemate or any software into the PDA. I don't know why we got Windows ME...I guess it came with the new computer...don't ask...we don't have a clue. We can't do pocket queries because of AOL....can't get a gmail account because we don't have a cell phone. Have you ever met a couple so non-technical???? thanks, jl

I know this isn't the correct thread for paperless talk, but do any of you know how to get a Palm PDA to hot sync with Windows ME? We finally got a PDA and the Palm website says they don't support Windows ME. So..I can't download cachemate or any software into the PDA. I don't know why we got Windows ME...I guess it came with the new computer...don't ask...we don't have a clue. We can't do pocket queries because of AOL....can't get a gmail account because we don't have a cell phone. Have you ever met a couple so non-technical???? thanks, jl

I know it doesn't answer your question, but I would suggest that your get rid of Windows ME as fast as you can. That was the worst/most unstable operating system that Microsoft ever created. I used it when it first came out and it was horrible. I would go back to whoever sold you that computer and tell them you want Windows 2000 or XP. Or, worst case fork out the $ to upgrade. The money you spend buying the software will be minimal compared to the cost of your time dealing with ME problems and incompatibilities. That's all. RM

One Cheap Source - http://www.indyscomputer.net/catalog/item/...074/2917261.htm

Edited by RocketMan

I know it doesn't answer your question, but I would suggest that your get rid of Windows ME as fast as you can. That was the worst/most unstable operating system that Microsoft ever created. I used it when it first came out and it was horrible. I would go back to whoever sold you that computer and tell them you want Windows 2000 or XP. Or, worst case fork out the $ to upgrade. The money you spend buying the software will be minimal compared to the cost of your time dealing with ME problems and incompatibilities. That's all. RM

Thanks Rocketman. Just so I know we're talking the same thing..We have Windows XP media center edition. This is the one you say we should get rid of? We just bought this computer from Dell less than a year ago. I'm not against changing..the cost of ink and paper we're wasting will pay for the new OS, I just want to make sure I get the "right" thing this time. Thanks again..jodi

Thanks Rocketman. Just so I know we're talking the same thing..We have Windows XP media center edition. This is the one you say we should get rid of? We just bought this computer from Dell less than a year ago. I'm not against changing..the cost of ink and paper we're wasting will pay for the new OS, I just want to make sure I get the "right" thing this time. Thanks again..jodi

NO - Don't get rid of that. Windows XP (the media edition is fine - I have that on my laptop) is what you want and it will work well with your palm and Cachemate. Windows ME is the crappy one! You said ME in your post. You are in good shape if you have XP.

ME is Millennium Edition which came out around 2000 and it is the one that is famous for crashes and problems.

Dave

Edited by RocketMan

Cheapest source I know of for Windows XP: El Cap Is Full It was still there as of yesterday!

But it sounds like you don't have Windows ME anyway. Sounds like you actually do have a version of XP...

Edited by FlagMan

NO - Don't get rid of that. Windows XP (the media edition is fine - I have that on my laptop) is what you want and it will work well with your palm and Cachemate. Windows ME is the crappy one! You said ME in your post. You are in good shape if you have XP.

ME is Millennium Edition which came out around 2000 and it is the one that is famous for crashes and problems.

Dave

The Palm software is really a pretty easy install. You just have to choose what type of connection the handheld will use (serial or USB). If it's a fairly new one it's most likely USB.

After you get it installed try doing a hotsync and I bet it will work. If it's the first time it wil ask you to choose or create a profile for the Palm.

If it doesn't work, restart your computer. You should see the hotsync icon running in the system tray next to the clock.

Cachemate will be even easier. After you download the files, double-click on the cachemate.prc file and then do a hotsync. The software will automatically install on your Palm.

If you want to use the "nearest to" feature of Cachemate you will need to download the MathLib.prc file. It's the same steps to install that.

Just give it a shot. You can't do anything to the computer that can't be undone.

Thanks Rocketman. Just so I know we're talking the same thing..We have Windows XP media center edition.

I have XP Media Center on one of my computers. It works just fine with Cachemate, GSAK, Topo!, Google Earth and all the other tools of the GC trade...

Cheapest source I know of for Windows XP: El Cap Is Full It was still there as of yesterday!

But with this heat, it may not be as cheap as it sounds... :anitongue::ph34r::D

:anitongue: Thanks for all the help...I guess it's just me..maybe. The PDA said the "connection" was no good. It's the same port I use for the GPS so it must be some setting or something I've done wrong. I'll give it another try....

:ph34r: If that doesn't fix it I'll get out my inflatable kayak and go get that free software at the end of El Cap....anyone want to come along?????

:anitongue: Thanks for all the help...I guess it's just me..maybe. The PDA said the "connection" was no good. It's the same port I use for the GPS so it must be some setting or something I've done wrong. I'll give it another try....

With my PDA and GPS I use different ports both are seril ports. I think once you tell a port what it's used for you can't plug something else in unless you tell it each time what it is being used for. Then again what do I know? But I know mine does work.

SKILLET

:ph34r: If that doesn't fix it I'll get out my inflatable kayak and go get that free software at the end of El Cap....anyone want to come along?????

Hate to be sticking my nose into this but I do believe that Palm Desktop is not compatible with Windows XP Media Center Edition.

Palm/Windows Compatibility

Edited by SD Rowdies
Hate to be sticking my nose into this but I do believe that Palm Desktop is not compatible with Windows XP Media Center Edition.

I use Palm Desktop and MCE all the time but...

...I use an old version of Palm Desktop/Hotsync (v4.0.1). Since this is the suggested solution to the aforementioned incompatibility, that may be why it works for me... (It should also be noted that I'm using USB and not an old fashioned serial port.)

Software...can't live with it. Pass the beer nuts.

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

I'm using XP Media with the newest version of Palm software downloaded from their website. So far no problems. Sometimes "not supported" just means they won't help you if it doesn't work.

Please note, we provide no support for use of our software or for synchronization of our devices with these operating systems:

• Windows XP Tablet PC Edition
  • Windows XP Media Center Edition
  • Windows XP Professional x64
  • Windows Server 2003
  • Windows Small Business Server 2003
  • Windows NT Server
  • Any Windows Terminal Server version
  • Dual- or Multiple-CPU computers

Edited by Toby's Gang

...I use an old version of Palm Desktop/Hotsync (v4.0.1). Since this is the suggested solution to the aforementioned incompatibility, that may be why it works for me... (It should also be noted that I'm using USB and not an old fashioned serial port.)

:anitongue::ph34r: I tried loading the 4.0.1 and I still can't get it to work. This PDA has a serial port. Oh well......back to paper......Thanks for all the help. r/ jodi

:anitongue::ph34r: I tried loading the 4.0.1 and I still can't get it to work. This PDA has a serial port. Oh well......back to paper......Thanks for all the help. r/ jodi

Click on the Hotsync icon in the system tray and make sure Local Serial is checked and not USB.

Click on the Hotsync icon in the system tray and make sure Local Serial is checked and not USB.

If that doesn't work click on the icon then setup then select the Local tab. Make sure the correct serial port is selected.

I have media center…and an old palm…

I am using Palm desktop 4.1.4

I use an infrared connection on my computer and a serial connection on Sumrall’s.

All works great…however comma you have to set the palm up for the type of connection you have. If you need more help…I will be back next week and can come over and help.

:):D I tried loading the 4.0.1 and I still can't get it to work. This PDA has a serial port. Oh well......back to paper......Thanks for all the help. r/ jodi

I have media center…and an old palm…

I am using Palm desktop 4.1.4

I use an infrared connection on my computer and a serial connection on Sumrall's.

All works great…however comma you have to set the palm up for the type of connection you have. If you need more help…I will be back next week and can come over and help.

Thanks GOBOLTS! I may just have to take you up on the offer!!! I'll make sure John has cold beer!!!

Thought I would share a picture or two from Geowoodstock IV in Texas. Holding the SDCT Banner is (left to right) The Cablespots from Florida, m.zielinski from Germany, I can't remember the couple in the middle, the grey haired fella is spuchtfink from Germany, CCCooperAgency from Pensylvania (top cacher in the world with 15,000 + caches found) is the one holding the banner on the left, and Mrs. Captain Picard from Texas and GeoPirat from Germany are the ones holding the banner on the right. Roland (Darth Maul 3 is my caching buddy from Germany standing to my left. We signed the logs as HCT (Hanseatic Cache Team).

We had four vehicles in our posse and hit several cache dense areas of Dallas on two different days of caching. None of the Germany guys had ever been off-highway so they were a bit tense the first few times I took them right to a cache (withing 10 feet). Now they all want jeeps! I wonder what anybody that might have heard the radio conversations was thinking hearing German on the local FSR frequencies. I was able to find real German beer so our "happy hours" were a hit with the Germans. They don't like our American beer. They say it tastes like camel p***. I almost have to admit I agree, although I have never done a true comparison... CCCooperAgency didn't even carry a GPS unit on Sunday and she still found the containers quicker than those of us that had the GPS units on several occasions. If you were to add up the total caches from all of us it would be over 27,000 caches found (that includes my meager 1000 contribution).

The middle picture is of Lynn (CCCooperAgency) and I with a TB that is going back to Germany with Darth Maul 3. The third pic is at the Cedar Creek Campground with the Texas Geocacher banner Mrs. Captain Picard and a friendly Texas Geocacher (permission not obtained to release his name).

The fellows from Germany and CCCooperAgency set a new record for 314 finds in a 24 hour period two days before this picture was taken. The old record was something like 268 in 24 hours.

32875a9c-22b4-46ae-81e1-a451eb35c00d.jpge0a23eb4-9218-4694-81ac-559f7c068f0d.jpgcbaa99a2-e4a4-4ee7-8c5b-6d313b705dcb.jpg

THANKS TOM!!! :):D:D

Edited by habu!

Just an FYI...

Hanseatic League (German Hanse),

Commercial alliance of German merchants and cities, active from the mid-12th century to the mid-17th century. At its peak in the mid-15th century, the league comprised at least 80 cities and another 100 or so affiliated towns, and it monopolized all trade in the North and Baltic seas. It grew to be the largest and most successful trade association in medieval Europe in terms of both volume of trade and profit before succumbing to the growing economic might of states such as England and the Netherlands.

Thought I would share a picture or two from Geowoodstock IV in Texas. Holding the SDCT Banner is (left to right) The Cablespots from Florida, m.zielinski from Germany, I can't remember the couple in the middle, the grey haired fella is spuchtfink from Germany, CCCooperAgency from Pensylvania (top cacher in the world with 15,000 + caches found) is the one holding the banner on the left, and Mrs. Captain Picard from Texas and GeoPirat from Germany are the ones holding the banner on the right. Roland (Darth Maul 3 is my caching buddy from Germany standing to my left. We signed the logs as HCT (Hanseatic Cache Team).

We had four vehicles in our posse and hit several cache dense areas of Dallas on two different days of caching. None of the Germany guys had ever been off-highway so they were a bit tense the first few times I took them right to a cache (withing 10 feet). Now they all want jeeps! I wonder what anybody that might have heard the radio conversations was thinking hearing German on the local FSR frequencies. I was able to find real German beer so our "happy hours" were a hit with the Germans. They don't like our American beer. They say it tastes like camel p***. I almost have to admit I agree, although I have never done a true comparison... CCCooperAgency didn't even carry a GPS unit on Sunday and she still found the containers quicker than those of us that had the GPS units on several occasions. If you were to add up the total caches from all of us it would be over 27,000 caches found (that includes my meager 1000 contribution).

The middle picture is of Lynn (CCCooperAgency) and I with a TB that is going back to Germany with Darth Maul 3. The third pic is at the Cedar Creek Campground with the Texas Geocacher banner Mrs. Captain Picard and a friendly Texas Geocacher (permission not obtained to release his name).

The fellows from Germany and CCCooperAgency set a new record for 314 finds in a 24 hour period two days before this picture was taken. The old record was something like 268 in 24 hours.

32875a9c-22b4-46ae-81e1-a451eb35c00d.jpge0a23eb4-9218-4694-81ac-559f7c068f0d.jpgcbaa99a2-e4a4-4ee7-8c5b-6d313b705dcb.jpg

Wow!...sounds like you had a great time. How many people do you think in total attended the event?

WoooooHooooooooo!

Have you washed your left arm yet? Did you get any autographs?

Thanks for sharing the pictures. It sounds like a fun time. How did you hook up with CCooperAgency and the Germans (Just Curious)? RM

Thanks for sharing the pictures. It sounds like a fun time. How did you hook up with CCooperAgency and the Germans (Just Curious)? RM

RM, I wish I could say it was my good looks but... I go caching with the German fellows in Germany when I go over there to work. Lynn was part of that team when they attempted (successfully) to set a new record for caches found in a 24 hour period. It was just lucky for me that she was along the same days I went with my German friends. She rode with me for most of Sunday when we were in the DFW area. They continued their caching excursions to San Antonio, Houston and on to Mexico after we left Geowoodstock.

We had four vehicles in our posse and hit several cache dense areas of Dallas on two different days of caching. None of the Germany guys had ever been off-highway so they were a bit tense the first few times I took them right to a cache (withing 10 feet). Now they all want jeeps! I wonder what anybody that might have heard the radio conversations was thinking hearing German on the local FSR frequencies. I was able to find real German beer so our "happy hours" were a hit with the Germans. They don't like our American beer. They say it tastes like camel p***. I almost have to admit I agree, although I have never done a true comparison... CCCooperAgency didn't even carry a GPS unit on Sunday and she still found the containers quicker than those of us that had the GPS units on several occasions. If you were to add up the total caches from all of us it would be over 27,000 caches found (that includes my meager 1000 con

What an awesome experience to have!!!!! Our banner sure looks great back there, thanks for taking it with

WoooooHooooooooo!

Have you washed your left arm yet? Did you get any autographs?

Wow.............BILL.................thanks for sharing the experience with all of us! Our banner sure looks great back there! We have had many hits lately on our Moab cache from cachers on their way to Geowoodstock, it must have been something to see! Did they do anything fun that we could use at our events here??

The Splashes :antenna:

I hate to chime in with an off-topic subject when I haven't been around lately. Though I haven't done much caching recently, I'm working on a few dastardly concepts.

I'll be sure to announce when I have something new to offer.

The off-topic:

Are there any ex-Napster users or music collectors in the group? I've been part of a CD "trading" site that allows you to directly trade CDs, since you own the rights to a physical disc. I have another 10 invites to LaLa.com that will get you in before the July 4th public opening. I love that I've rejuvinated my stale CD collection with the site. Email me if you want an invite.

Back on-topic rant:

Dang, I hate those thoughtlessly placed caches, micros or otherwise!

Would it kill someone to put more than 5 minutes into a hide?

I hate to chime in with an off-topic subject when I haven't been around lately. Though I haven't done much caching recently, I'm working on a few dastardly concepts.

I'll be sure to announce when I have something new to offer.

The off-topic:

Are there any ex-Napster users or music collectors in the group? I've been part of a CD "trading" site that allows you to directly trade CDs, since you own the rights to a physical disc. I have another 10 invites to LaLa.com that will get you in before the July 4th public opening. I love that I've rejuvinated my stale CD collection with the site. Email me if you want an invite.

Back on-topic rant:

Dang, I hate those thoughtlessly placed caches, micros or otherwise!

Would it kill someone to put more than 5 minutes into a hide?

I wish they let me trade in my old LPs! I have a ton of those in my attic! :D I do have cds I never listen to so please send me an invite! :D

I agree about pointless caches. My rule of thumb is that the cache site should be in a place I would like to visit even if I wasn't caching. Of course there is an exception to my rule if the cache has some other redeeming quality (like cool camo)! :)