The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

For anyone who has Cox Cable, there is a short segment on Geocaching featured on the San Diego Insider. It seems to repeat several times a night through Saturday May 6 (check the TV schedules). We have not seen it yet as we do not have Cox so all I know is they filmed us for 3 hours and it is a 4 minute program.

Just watched the show, how did they contact you? You both are now GEO STARS :blink: Good Job.

We finally got to watch the show last night. I am still not real sure why we were contacted. The "interviewer" has done some geocaching and had done one of our caches. She said she wanted a couple that cached together, and had found and hidden several caches. She lives in our area and I guess we fit what she was looking for. She did not mention anything about being "seniors", I thought she was gearing it towards families. They wanted us to "find" a cache with an ammo can to show "new" cachers how it was done. Since we had to travel too far or hike too far for a cache we had not done, that fit what she wanted, we chose Rocky Point, which is our cache and "pretended" to find it. It was close by, had an ammo can, and a pretty setting that looked like we were away from civilization. We do not manually put coords into our GPS, but they wanted us to do it that way. She also asked for photos we had taken while geocaching and did include some of them. It was fun to help them film it, but rather embarrassing to watch it. We had no say on how it was edited. So, now you can all go find the "Ribbit, Ribbit".

The time has come.

I am activating the Bat signal to summon together the League of Extraordinary Puzzlers.

I hereby summon FlagMan, John& Jess, Team Adelos, Duncan!, Pqcachers, Chuy, Senior Slueths, S&R, and anyone else who has two cents to chip in on this!

The gentleman who brought you "Choreographed Chaos" are back.

Cerebral Codex: (GCVJXQ)

--TT--

The time has come.

I am activating the Bat signal to summon together the League of Extraordinary Puzzlers.

I hereby summon FlagMan, John& Jess, Team Adelos, Duncan!, Pqcachers, Chuy, Senior Slueths, S&R, and anyone else who has two cents to chip in on this!

The gentleman who brought you "Choreographed Chaos" are back.

Cerebral Codex: (GCVJXQ)

--TT--

Saw that! Don't know if I dare venture into the Shire again, though...

Don't know if I dare venture.............

You are more than welcome to participate.

This time, we even tried to make special accommodations for the great distance puzzle solvers out there.

There is no reason that you should miss out on all of the fun.

Well, FlagMan, you've been sanctioned by Dirty Bird himself. That should quiet your furry-footed friend. :lol::lol:

A new player has entered the MTRP Cache Wars (at least for the caches in the "North Forty")...

My plan today was to ride north up Spring Canyon and hit "I Need Water" and the caches north of that one. I was still about 0.25 mi south when I (and everyone else -- there were lots of people out today) was turned around by a Marine patrol. They said that we were on Government Property and that we should be leaving. Being both outmanned and outgunned, I complied. About that time, I met up with T.R. Violin who had caching up that way. He said he had tried to duck behind a bush, but they spotted him and gave him the same message. :lol:

Later, I talked to a mountain biker about it. He said that he had heard that the first time they stop you, they'll just tell you to leave. If they catch you again and they recognize you, they'll take your gear. I can't say if this is really true, but it seems to me that if the Marines were serious about keeping people out, they ought to post the area as off limits. As it is now, there's nothing that says "Stay Out" and as long as that is true, people are going to go up that way...

A new player has entered the MTRP Cache Wars (at least for the caches in the "North Forty")...

My plan today was to ride north up Spring Canyon and hit "I Need Water" and the caches north of that one. I was still about 0.25 mi south when I (and everyone else -- there were lots of people out today) was turned around by a Marine patrol. They said that we were on Government Property and that we should be leaving. Being both outmanned and outgunned, I complied. About that time, I met up with T.R. Violin who had caching up that way. He said he had tried to duck behind a bush, but they spotted him and gave him the same message. :lol:

Later, I talked to a mountain biker about it. He said that he had heard that the first time they stop you, they'll just tell you to leave. If they catch you again and they recognize you, they'll take your gear. I can't say if this is really true, but it seems to me that if the Marines were serious about keeping people out, they ought to post the area as off limits. As it is now, there's nothing that says "Stay Out" and as long as that is true, people are going to go up that way...

O dear, sorry for the inconvenience.

It is true to say that the USMC NAS Miramar property is unposted all the way up Spring Canyon to the spot where I hid the "Live Fire" cache. It is also true that hikers, runners, and mountain-bikers entering from the Mast Boulevard Trailhead do frequent Spring Canyon each and every day of the week, and all the way to the northernmost point of the canyon.

Worth knowing too is that a good part of the southern end of Spring Canyon is indeed San Diego open space. I'm not sure what latitude line defines the boundary in question but I intend to discover that fact.

That said it is important to expect that any U.S. Marines encountered in that area will have an uncompromising attitude about what is right and what is wrong. That attitude is their strength and we, as Americans, depend upon and must respect their strength. When a Marine, no matter what rank or age, believes that you are out-of-bounds then by golly you are definitely out of bounds.

I shall immediately deactivate the caches I've placed within or even questionably near the Miramar property.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Lets go geocaching in Montana! ahh, I guess I should check to see if there are any there first! I will guess there are more in SD county (maybe city) than the state of Montana!

While I only had time to grab a few while we were in Montana this week, there were quite a few up there. The big difference was the fact that there are not many cache and dash types up there. Most of them took advantage of the great scenery.

We had to cut our vacation short since the kids both got sick. So...I'd like to try to tag along with the gang when you all head to Moab later this year!

We had a great time, but I see I missed a lot while I was gone! A full blown war has erupted, and did I read correctly that there were accusations of impropriety with our local approvers contest?!? ^_^

I wish you would have called me while I had Jeremy's ear and we could have cleared it up! :)

7e75c780-2d5b-46b8-b10a-6090e260230c.jpg

...We had a great time, but I see I missed a lot while I was gone! A full blown war has erupted, and did I read correctly that there were accusations of impropriety with our local approvers contest?!? ^_^

If you hurry up, you may still find a sliver of open land to place a cache at MTRP. However, chances are the warring factions had already dropped a mine (cache) and are waiting for the right moment to blow (activate) it. But, if you activate yours sooner, it deactivates theirs - that has happened already.

Welcome back; hope the kids are A-OK.

Edited by Chuy!

...We had a great time, but I see I missed a lot while I was gone! A full blown war has erupted, and did I read correctly that there were accusations of impropriety with our local approvers contest?!? ^_^

If you hurry up, you may still find a sliver of open land to place a cache at MTRP. However, chances are the warring factions had already dropped a mine (cache) and are waiting for the right moment to blow (activate) it. But, if you activate yours sooner, it deactivates theirs - that has happened ready.

Welcome back; hope the kids are A-OK.

Yeah, for sure, having to move sleeper caches has been an unexpected side effect of this MTRP Cache War. That danged Cegrube figured out that I was going to set one or two off way up Spring Canyon and so he rushed out and saturated the place. Well, actually, the old codger begged BBBs into doing his dirty work for him. Shameful.

For a small fee or a bucket full of cache containers I'll mention a small area of MTRP that doesn't have a single cache on it as yet.

Sweet old Harmon,

The people's choice

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thank you to all the Generals, and their many foot soldiers, for the caches in MTRP warzone. Total distance hiked today, 10.03 miles (thanks to T-Bandit working on his "Hiking" merit badge). Lots of caches found but many, many more to go. :o:mad::o:P

Thank you to all the Generals, and their many foot soldiers, for the caches in MTRP warzone. Total distance hiked today, 10.03 miles (thanks to T-Bandit working on his "Hiking" merit badge). Lots of caches found but many, many more to go. :mad::o:P:o

I am very pleased that you enjoyed our 2006 MTRP Cache War activities. The whole idea was to attract Geocachers into a few little-known but delightful regions of the park. It has been ever-so satisfying to see the miles racked up by so many of you, with more to come I'm quite sure.

Furthermore it has been terrific to see this outburst of Geocaching fun and games take on an element of spontaneous participation. I'm constantly amazed at what one can trigger by writing a few words down with pencil, pen, or keyboard. Yes indeed, I know how to start something like the 2006 MTRP Cache War but how th' heck do you stop it?

When will it stop you might wonder? Right now I'm letting that old codger Cegrube catch his breath before administering my coup de gras. He ain't seen nothin' yet.

Sweet old Harmon,

The people's choice

Edited by SD Rowdies

My plan today was to ride north up Spring Canyon and hit "I Need Water" and the caches north of that one. I was still about 0.25 mi south when I (and everyone else -- there were lots of people out today) was turned around by a Marine patrol. They said that we were on Government Property and that we should be leaving. Being both outmanned and outgunned, I complied. About that time, I met up with T.R. Violin who had caching up that way. He said he had tried to duck behind a bush, but they spotted him and gave him the same message. :laughing:

It is true to say that the USMC NAS Miramar property is unposted all the way up Spring Canyon to the spot where I hid the "Live Fire" cache. It is also true that hikers, runners, and mountain-bikers entering from the Mast Boulevard Trailhead do frequent Spring Canyon each and every day of the week, and all the way to the northernmost point of the canyon.

Worth knowing too is that a good part of the southern end of Spring Canyon is indeed San Diego open space. I'm not sure what latitude line defines the boundary in question but I intend to discover that fact.

That said it is important to expect that any U.S. Marines encountered in that area will have an uncompromising attitude about what is right and what is wrong. That attitude is their strength and we, as Americans, depend upon and must respect their strength. When a Marine, no matter what rank or age, believes that you are out-of-bounds then by golly you are definitely out of bounds.

I shall immediately deactivate the caches I've placed within or even questionably near the Miramar property.

Harmon

So which cache is to far north, based on the patrol? I Need Water (GCVF3F)? Last thing I want is to run into a patrol or Marine exercise while hiking... Is there someone (Marines) that can give us a general area to stay out of? MTRP actually shows its border stopping at the 52.

We could plant caches could "No Mans Land" as marks, or something of the like.. to help future hikers.

Paul

Edited by Team Adelos

MapPoint and MapQuest both show Miramar Marine Corps Air boundaries, but both are obviously wrong as they show boundaries south of the 52. I say status quo but respect commands made by Marine patrols and respectfully point out you did not see any marked boundaries, but that you will move on; don't forget to thank them for serving our country.

My plan today was to ride north up Spring Canyon and hit "I Need Water" and the caches north of that one. I was still about 0.25 mi south when I (and everyone else -- there were lots of people out today) was turned around by a Marine patrol. They said that we were on Government Property and that we should be leaving. Being both outmanned and outgunned, I complied. About that time, I met up with T.R. Violin who had caching up that way. He said he had tried to duck behind a bush, but they spotted him and gave him the same message. :laughing:

Harmon

So which cache is to far north, based on the patrol? I Need Water (GCVF3F)? Last thing I want is to run into a patrol or Marine exercise while hiking... Is there someone (Marines) that can give us a general area to stay out of? MTRP actually shows its border stopping at the 52.

We could plant caches could "No Mans Land" as marks, or something of the like.. to help future hikers.

Paul

FlagMan is checking on this and will post his findings. From what I can see the San Diego open space covers about half of the length of Spring Canyon north of Highway 52 and that would put those most-northern caches out of bounds, starting maybe with "I Need Water."

Gosh, this is so exciting.

Edited by SD Rowdies
MapPoint and MapQuest both show Miramar Marine Corps Air boundaries, but both are obviously wrong as they show boundaries south of the 52. I say status quo but respect commands made by Marine patrols and respectfully point out you did not see any marked boundaries, but that you will move on; don't forget to thank them for serving our country.
This might help:

MTRP includes a portion of Camp Elliott, an area used by the U.S. military from 1917 to 1960. The area was first used as an artillery target during World War I training exercises and later as part of U.S. Marine Corps Camp Elliott when it was used for infantry, tank, and artillery training during World War II and the Korean War. Between 1960 and 1963, approximately one-third of Camp Elliott was declared excess land by the military and was given to the City of San Diego and San Diego State University. The discovery of unexploded ordnance on these lands led to an intensive sweep by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) in 1993. The ordnance sweep resulted in the removal of tons of unexploded materials from MTRP. Military lands continue to abut MTRP, as Marine Corps Air Station (MCAS) Miramar is located north of the project site, immediately north of SR-52.

On Saturday, at least, the "boundary" was a quarter mile south of "I Need Water" . There wasn't anyone running around restricting movement south of where I got stopped.

But this is part of the problem, isn't it? Right now, the boundary is wherever and whenever you run into a patrol. In otherwords, it's luck of the draw. :o

Hopefully, we'll have a better answer soon.

This thread has got to be the funniest thread I have read in a while.

Either that, or I'm just really tired right now!

I almost spit my coffee out of my mouth when I got down to Brainnat's comment: "When I meet a stranger at a cache site who appears to be a geocacher, I'll often ask "are you looking for what I'm looking for?". I can see how this approach can be problematic in certain parks." :unsure:

Thanks for the eductation C4. I will NEVER back into a parking space ever again! ;)

Happy Anniversary Everyone!!

On May 3rd, 2000 a container of goodies was hidden by a someone outside of Portland, Oregon - in celebration of the removing of Selective Availability. By May 6th the cache was visited twice, and logged in the logbook once...

On May 3rd, 2000 a container of goodies was hidden by a someone outside of Portland, Oregon - in celebration of the removing of Selective Availability. By May 6th the cache was visited twice, and logged in the logbook once...

5ec9d005-fb83-4d7c-ab4c-fdeac581d11a.jpg

Wow, and the rest is becoming history. Happy Anni' ... I brought the cake.

Edited by SD Rowdies

5ec9d005-fb83-4d7c-ab4c-fdeac581d11a.jpg

Wow, and the rest is becoming history. Happy Anni' ... I brought the cake.

Mmmmm on the cake! Happy Anniversary all! :laughing:

Here's to the pioneers of Geocaching (again!)

Anyone know who was San Diego's first Geocacher?

Jeff

Here's to the pioneers of Geocaching (again!)

Anyone know who was San Diego's first Geocacher?

Jeff

Not GoodDogSD? He hid San Diego's first cache GC5B. What came first, the hider or the finder?

D!

Not GoodDogSD? He hid San Diego's first cache GC5B. What came first, the hider or the finder?

D!

You're right, it's GoodDogSD as he found LAX - the first Ca cache, on Aug 22, 2000, two months before GDannyboy found the SD cache.

GoodDogSD was a very early cacher. His number is 6.

GDannyboy's number is 410.

My number is 8722.

LAX was hidden by James Coburn (aka Iryshe)

Iryshe's number is 2.

Does Iryshe look familiar to anyone? :)

D!

You're right, it's GoodDogSD as he found LAX - the first Ca cache, on Aug 22, 2000, two months before GDannyboy found the SD cache.

My number is 8722.

Iryshe's number is 2.

Ask Cornerstone4.

D!

My number is 8722.

Iryshe's number is 2.

Ask Cornerstone4.

:)

Actually, I had noticed that cache before, and made the connection. It was when I was working on TG's puzzle cache that had the older cachers names in it. When I was going through their past logs, one of them had logged the LA cache, and I had found the connection to the Iryshe account. Anyway, useless info that I gleaned while on a wild goose chase for the solution to Pat's puzzle! :P

Edited by Cornerstone4

D!

My number is 8722.

Iryshe's number is 2.

Ask Cornerstone4.

:)

Actually, I had noticed that cache before, and made the connection. It was when I was working on TG's puzzle cache that had the older cachers names in it. When I was going through their past logs, one of them had logged the LA cache, and I had found the connection to the Iryshe account. Anyway, useless info that I gleaned while on a wild goose chase for the solution to Pat's puzzle! :)

:P

Here's some info that may reveal who that is....."The early ancestors of the IRISH family are believed to be French "Norman", the name originally being D'Ireys. The family moved to Germany, where the "D" was dropped, leaving the name IREYS. During the German wars, about the year 900, the Ireys family moved to England. The family was living in England before the Norman conquest by William the Conqueror in 1066. Here they had established themselves at Ireys, the family seat, in Dorset County, England. The name was changed to IRYSHE, and one of the members of the family became Sheriff of London, holding that office for nine years. From about the year 1100 through the 1600 the name IRISH has been recorded as IREYS, D'IRYSHE, IRYSHE, IRISHE and IRISH."

Edited by TrailGators

Here's some info that may reveal who that is....."The early ancestors of the IRISH family are believed to be French "Norman", the name originally being D'Ireys. The family moved to Germany, where the "D" was dropped, leaving the name IREYS. During the German wars, about the year 900, the Ireys family moved to England. The family was living in England before the Norman conquest by William the Conqueror in 1066. Here they had established themselves at Ireys, the family seat, in Dorset County, England. The name was changed to IRYSHE, and one of the members of the family became Sheriff of London, holding that office for nine years. From about the year 1100 through the 1600 the name IRISH has been recorded as IREYS, D'IRYSHE, IRYSHE, IRISHE and IRISH."

Honk! It was Vincent Van Gogh (seen here in a family portrait that he named "Irises"

103027fe-466e-4a03-b890-a4f86e31fe8a.jpg

Here's some info that may reveal who that is....."The early ancestors of the IRISH family are believed to be French "Norman", the name originally being D'Ireys. The family moved to Germany, where the "D" was dropped, leaving the name IREYS. During the German wars, about the year 900, the Ireys family moved to England. The family was living in England before the Norman conquest by William the Conqueror in 1066. Here they had established themselves at Ireys, the family seat, in Dorset County, England. The name was changed to IRYSHE."

Honk! It was Vincent Van Gogh (seen here in a family portrait that he named "Irises"

[snip]

:laughing: Gong!

barris.jpg

Has anyone noticed the new beta maps? Sweet! Finally!

Map

I hadn't noticed that! Sweet!!! ;);):P

And...

...until just now, I had not noticed that the map on the cache description page is now also Google Maps driven (you can click on "Hyb" to see the photo view, zoom in, zoom out, etc.) And if you click on the cache marker on the map, it brings up the new "beta map" view so that you can see other caches in the area.

I like it!

It's just come to my attention that the P&K Sunset Cache has just been disabled due to the fact that it is gone. The owner, "puppy" is now in England and has no plans or ability to replace it.

I thought that by posting this here, there might be someone who would step forward and offer to adopt/replace this cache. Any takers?

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

It's just come to my attention that the P&K Sunset Cache has just been disabled due to the fact that it is gone. The owner, "puppy" is now in England and has no plans or ability to replace it.

I thought that by posting this here, there might be someone who would step forward and offer to adopt/replace this cache. Any takers?

Well, that's near work for me, but I'm going to be going back to the UK (permanently) later in the year too, so it would only need a new adopter in a few months anyway. Otherwise I'd be happy to adopt it.

Well, that's near work for me, but I'm going to be going back to the UK (permanently) later in the year too, so it would only need a new adopter in a few months anyway. Otherwise I'd be happy to adopt it.

You aren't going to find any better gas prices in England Dr. Boggis...

Don't you mean "petrol"? :P

It's a bummer to hear that you are leaving us Toby. I'm sure we'll all get together and tip a few pints before you go! :ph34r:

Edited by TrailGators