The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Avast all ye landlubbers and scallywags o' tha MTRP wars. "bout two months ago, I were searchin' fer Electrific View at Cowles when I noticed a small trail leadin' up from tha cache. Soz I decided ta follow it ta see where it be leadin'. Tha trail led to tha fire road, where I were met by a Park Ranger who were none too amused by me trailblazin'. Tha Bilge Rat wrote me up a citation, tha official charge bein' "Destruction of Habitat - Off Trail". This were a misdemeanor charge which required a mandatory appearance before tha judge downtown. This mornin' were me day o' reckonin'. Bein' it were me first offense, they took it down from misdemeanor to infraction, and fined me a total of $174.00. Now this ol' pirate ain't complainin' 'cause, well hell, I were guilty!! I'm postin' this info fer ye all ta consider when ye be a scurryin' about searchin' fer plunder in tha' MTRP zone! Tha park rules permit a cache to be located no more than 30 feet off trail, but ye best not be tramplin' any vegetation in tha process! Anything further than 30' an ye could be facin' tha same fate as me! Happy huntin' lads and lasses!! Jes be careful, eh? Arrrrr.

Avast all ye landlubbers and scallywags o' tha MTRP wars. "bout two months ago, I were searchin' fer Electrific View at Cowles when I noticed a small trail leadin' up from tha cache. Soz I decided ta follow it ta see where it be leadin'. Tha trail led to tha fire road, where I were met by a Park Ranger who were none too amused by me trailblazin'. Tha Bilge Rat wrote me up a citation, tha official charge bein' "Destruction of Habitat - Off Trail". This were a misdemeanor charge which required a mandatory appearance before tha judge downtown. This mornin' were me day o' reckonin'. Bein' it were me first offense, they took it down from misdemeanor to infraction, and fined me a total of $174.00. Now this ol' pirate ain't complainin' 'cause, well hell, I were guilty!! I'm postin' this info fer ye all ta consider when ye be a scurryin' about searchin' fer plunder in tha' MTRP zone! Tha park rules permit a cache to be located no more than 30 feet off trail, but ye best not be tramplin' any vegetation in tha process! Anything further than 30' an ye could be facin' tha same fate as me! Happy huntin' lads and lasses!! Jes be careful, eh? Arrrrr.

Thanks for posting that! Sorry to here that you got nailed for doing something that we all have done at one time or another. I had no idea that you could get a $174 fine for hiking up an unmarked trail! ;) Personally that penalty seems too way harsh to me but I guess that's the way it is.... :wacko:

Edited by TrailGators

Thanks for posting that! Sorry to here that you got nailed for doing something that we all have done at one time or another. I had no idea that you could get a $174 fine for hiking up an unmarked trail! ;) Personally that penalty seems too way harsh to me but I guess that's the way it is.... :wacko:

Of all the recent new MTRP caches there are only about four I know of that are too far from a trail. Considering how many new caches there are that's pretty good but do think it over before you take the risk of going off trail.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Night hunting folks! the park is open 24/7 but I have yet to see a Ranger past 5p.

Sorry to hear hear your fate B-S.

Re Gas - for your vehicle that is...

I think I posted this before; don't hurt to do it again!

Edited by Chuy!

I was contacted by another cacher looking for a foster home.

Buckeyes_in_Texas (BiT)

He wrote: "I will have some free time to cache on Thursday and Friday, then again on Sunday and maybe Monday...I will have a good amount of time on Sunday....I most likely will be on foot."

I would like to take him out, but The State of Oklahoma (or my Sooner wife) will not allow me to have a Texan in my car as long as I have Oklahoma plates ; ).

Can any of you help him out?

Has anyone noticed a greater number of ticks this spring? The last three weekends that I've gone out with Sirius Blackdgo (AKA Dempsey, our black Lab), he's attracted ticks, and I've plucked a few off of myself on two of those trips.

I'm pretty good at removing the ticks, thanks to an earlier post on one of the GC threads, but does anyone recommend any repellants over others?

Has anyone noticed a greater number of ticks this spring? The last three weekends that I've gone out with Sirius Blackdgo (AKA Dempsey, our black Lab), he's attracted ticks, and I've plucked a few off of myself on two of those trips.

I'm pretty good at removing the ticks, thanks to an earlier post on one of the GC threads, but does anyone recommend any repellants over others?

Sonrisa is on "Front Line Plus" She has not had a tick in two years...however comma I have had quite a few.

Sonrisa is on "Front Line Plus" She has not had a tick in two years...however comma I have had quite a few.

Well duh, take the stuff yourself. A spoon full of sugar makes the medicine go down.

Prevention and awareness are the best repellants! See this link for some advice from lyme.org. Thanks for keeping us aware (especially those of us that take little ones out on the trails). I have brought a few home (Red October), but never had a bite.

I recommmend not being the one that is in the front! :mad: I set a personal best and had 26 on me after retrieving one cache in Puzzle Valley a few weeks back! :mad: Miragee, Jahoadi and John flicked them off me one by one. Luckily they got all of the little buggers. I hate trying to find them later when they crawl up your :( ! I got 6-7 more the rest of that day and have had several others since. They are bad this year!

"The best way to avoid insect bites -- and the diseases insects transmit -- is to apply a DEET repellent to your exposed skin and treat your clothing with permethrin. The effectiveness of this combination is confirmed by many studies, such as the one reported by the Medical Letter (May 1989) that demonstrated 100% protection against mosquito bites. In a similar study done by the U.S. Army in Alaska, the combination afforded 99.9% protection."

Stuart R. Rose, MD, author, International Travel Health Guide

I recommmend not being the one that is in the front! :( I set a personal best and had 26 on me after retrieving one cache in Puzzle Valley a few weeks back! :mad: Miragee, Jahoadi and John flicked them off me one by one. Luckily they got all of the little buggers. I hate trying to find them later when they crawl up your :mad: ! I got 6-7 more the rest of that day and have had several others since. They are bad this year!

According to San Diego County Department of Environmental Health:

"In San Diego County the Western Black-legged tick's life cycle takes place during the rainy season, October-April. " My guess is that they are prevalent a little later this year due to the late rains we have had. But I am no expert... just an occasional victim

They have a really good page on prevention of Lyme disease that is specific to San Diego County. Most Lyme Disease resources focus on the north-east due to the high amount of infections there.

http://www.co.san-diego.ca.us/deh/chd/vector/vlyme.html

Fun reading... :D

Lets go geocaching in Montana! ahh, I guess I should check to see if there are any there first! I will guess there are more in SD county (maybe city) than the state of Montana!

You all need to come caching with me in Castle Rock, CO.

The $2.72 is right down the street from my house. :mad:

7065a555-c781-4e33-95f9-31e65354df9e.jpg

It just cost me 53 bux to fill up my tank in my regular transportaion. Holy moly! I haven't filled up the Jeep yet. I gotta admit...thank goodness we left the motorhome in the desert this last weekend for this weekend's event. I can only imagine how much that would be to go back and forth and to fill up the 75 gallon gas tank in that beast! :mad: Although, it is worth it! :( Love my MH!

Lets go geocaching in Montana! ahh, I guess I should check to see if there are any there first! I will guess there are more in SD county (maybe city) than the state of Montana!

Better yet, move to Bagdad. Iraqi citizens pay five cents per gallon.

Cool site........however, i don't understand, the more rural you are, the less the costs are....however, just getting out there takes quite a bit doesn't it? I do understand why Hawaii would be pricey....by the way, Hawaii not showing on gasbuddy! :mad: I do know that to fly (commercially) up to Montana would be more expensive then to fly to Hawaii.....I believe that's the case...will have to double check that now.....however, gas is cheaper??? Hmmmmm......

Those were the good old days: :mad:
The price increase brought the cost of a gallon of gasoline from the equivalent of less than 5 cents to about 40 cents. It is meant to be the first in series of jumps over the next year designed to raise the price of fuel to the average in Persian Gulf states, which a U.S. official said Tuesday was about 93 cents per gallon.

Those were the good old days: :)
The price increase brought the cost of a gallon of gasoline from the equivalent of less than 5 cents to about 40 cents. It is meant to be the first in series of jumps over the next year designed to raise the price of fuel to the average in Persian Gulf states, which a U.S. official said Tuesday was about 93 cents per gallon.

I wonder who the increased profits are going to?

Ever noticed how pump prices rise as soon as the crude oil price on the futures markets rises, but strangely there is a slight delay in the pump prices falling again when the crude price falls (as it did yesterday)?? :D

Edited by Dr. Boggis
OK boys and girls - Change your user name now of forever hold your current name.

Read This

So what are you saying??

Some of us have names we might not want to be permanently branded with?? :huh:

I knew that tattoo parlor was a mistake last New Year's Eve!

-PuPuHead

Looks like I better change mine then... :P The kids have split off, so team of team adelos is with an I. hehee

For anyone who has Cox Cable, there is a short segment on Geocaching featured on the San Diego Insider. It seems to repeat several times a night through Saturday May 6 (check the TV schedules). We have not seen it yet as we do not have Cox so all I know is they filmed us for 3 hours and it is a 4 minute program.

I found this listing on the San Diego Insider...

seniors go crazy for a new treasure hunting pastime;

Channel: CA4SD 4 Airing Time: Thu 4/27, 8:00 PM (30 minutes)

Future airings of San Diego Insider:

• Sun 4/30 8:00 PM 4 CA4SD (Cablecast)

• Sun 4/30 10:00 PM 4 CA4SD (Cablecast)

• Mon 5/1 6:00 PM 4 CA4SD (Cablecast)

• Tue 5/2 4:30 PM 4 CA4SD (Cablecast)

• Tue 5/2 6:30 PM 4 CA4SD (Cablecast)

...since it's for seniors I guess at least Harmon will be interested :)

Edited by habu!
:):lol: Ok, new subject I'm adding to all our usual forums!! Don't forget the CITO event ( GCTXYA)this Saturday and the desert campout event (GCVCGH) this weekend.. The CITO event is kind of a re-do of one we had earlier, but that was when it was raining, no snowing and we had to "suspend" it. Jahoadi and I are heading out east very early in the morning Saturday. ^_^:)
The kids have split off, so team of team adelos is with an I.

You could always be an army of one... :)

I have the same problem, but decided to leave my name plural in case any of the troops rejoin me someday. Yes I know...it's wishful thinking..... :lol:

Army of one.. :)

I am keeping the Team for the same reason.. not to mention that everyone already know my puzzles by that. No need to confuse anyone! ^_^

For anyone who has Cox Cable, there is a short segment on Geocaching featured on the San Diego Insider. It seems to repeat several times a night through Saturday May 6 (check the TV schedules). We have not seen it yet as we do not have Cox so all I know is they filmed us for 3 hours and it is a 4 minute program.

It's the same Channel 4 SD that shows the Padres games, so it's available on Time Warner cable too (even though the pictures are provided by Cox).

It's the same Channel 4 SD that shows the Padres games, so it's available on Time Warner cable too (even though the pictures are provided by Cox).

It is my understanding that Time Warner people get only the Padre games, not San Diego Insider...for now anyway. If anyone gets it on Time Warner, let us know. I can't even check as we only have basic cable.

It is my understanding that Time Warner people get only the Padre games, not San Diego Insider...for now anyway. If anyone gets it on Time Warner, let us know. I can't even check as we only have basic cable.

Here's a question for you.

Who are the "seniors" are that have "gone crazy" for Geocaching?

:wub::) Ok, new subject I'm adding to all our usual forums!! Don't forget the CITO event ( GCTXYA)this Saturday and the desert campout event (GCVCGH) this weekend.. The CITO event is kind of a re-do of one we had earlier, but that was when it was raining, no snowing and we had to "suspend" it. Jahoadi and I are heading out east very early in the morning Saturday. :laughing::wub:

I'm heading out there Friday night. I'm not sure what time I'll be there because I have to work...until 5...can you believe that?! Darn job gets in the way of all my fun.

:wub::) Ok, new subject I'm adding to all our usual forums!! Don't forget the CITO event ( GCTXYA)this Saturday and the desert campout event (GCVCGH) this weekend.. The CITO event is kind of a re-do of one we had earlier, but that was when it was raining, no snowing and we had to "suspend" it. Jahoadi and I are heading out east very early in the morning Saturday. :P:laughing:

I'm heading out there Friday night. I'm not sure what time I'll be there because I have to work...until 5...can you believe that?! Darn job gets in the way of all my fun.

Just tell you're employer you'll have your leash on. Cell phone works great out there! :wub: Oh and if you have a Blackberry...that's even better....mobile office. Looking forward to seeing you all out there. Were headed out tomorrow as well.

Yep, we have Time Warner and it's showing at 8pm tonight (and presumably all those other times too). Do you want me to tape it for you? We don't really use videotapes any more but I'm sure I could dig one out and try to remember how to record it!

Introducing YMS #30 of 30, SlabyFam

f942e9e5-a50b-4290-b11b-329a797358d1.jpg

Once again, thanks to Harmon for the design work. Seems he needed a brief respite from the War anyway...

This is the last of the Yrium Memorial Series of cards. Time to think of a new concept. Anyone have any bright ideas?

Introducing YMS #30 of 30, SlabyFam

f942e9e5-a50b-4290-b11b-329a797358d1.jpg

Once again, thanks to Harmon for the design work. Seems he needed a brief respite from the War anyway...

This is the last of the Yrium Memorial Series of cards. Time to think of a new concept. Anyone have any bright ideas?

O'm'gosh, another midnight mission to Max's park I suppose.

Once again I was merely the graphic designer working from FlagMan's terrific concept. This final release turned out to be the most demanding YMS layout in my experience. Photoshop users might be interested to know that it had an aggregate of well-over twenty layers, not all making it into the final production of course. A major challenge was having to change the color of the Budweiser wagon, now the ammo-can wagon, from red to green because that involved a lot of very precise and tedious selection work. Danged red-trimmed wheels and spokes for one thing.

Being asked to handle many of the YMS compositions has been a rare treat for me. I treasure the experience. Come to think of it we failed to do a YMS card for Max.

Thanks Tom,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Just watched the show, how did they contact you? You both are now GEO STARS :wub: Good Job.

Jolly good show!!! Now I can mark one more DNF off my list. Can I have your autograph???

bill

Yep, we have Time Warner and it's showing at 8pm tonight (and presumably all those other times too). Do you want me to tape it for you? We don't really use videotapes any more but I'm sure I could dig one out and try to remember how to record it!

OK, well despite the guide saying it would be San Diego Insider, what they actually showed was half an hour of adverts for Time Warner. Will see if it's on again another time.

Just watched the show, how did they contact you? You both are now GEO STARS :wub: Good Job.

Wow that was sweet....Will you sign your card for me?

BZ on a job well done!