The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I screwed the pooch! :)

We placed a cache in Julian yesterday (it was our 1st anniversary and we spent the weekend up there).

Well I subbmitted the new cache and deleted the coords....and GC dropped the new cache. :)

Soooo if anyone is heading up the hill please let me know...you can beta test the cache and give me the coords. :) And I would be happy to reimburse you for a piece of pie or??? :)

I think it's time for an event!!!

We could call it MTRP Armistice, or Cache Wars Seize Fire, or The Empire Strikes back (oops, not that one).

We would need a place with circular tables so everyone is equal...like the Knights of the Round Table (those English kunigits). Is there a Round Table Pizza in Santee or vicinity? Are we sick of pizza yet???

I was thinking of a no-frills night-hike event at MTRP.

Anyone interested?

Hmmm...a night hike offers plenty of opportunity for surreptitiously dropping a few more mines, er, I mean caches... :)

:):) I'm in....I mean John and I are in....yippee!!! I love those hills...and at night you won't be able to see how steep they are!!! Can we climb them all????

...and now that John is "in" the odds of a cache or two being "accidently" dropped along the way has just gone up... :)

So much for a cease fire... :D

What time of night are we talking about here?

Sorry, it'll be past your bedtime :D ; sorry, couldn' resist!

8p'ish to whenever, on a Friday or Saturday night, and on a near-full to full moon. I gotta check my calendars. Next full moon weekend is May 12.

What I'm thinking of doing is starting the event at top of the Fortuna saddle, then cachers can make their way up any number of routes to grab caches on the way up as they see fit, then head north as a group, to North Fortuna and east down the access road by the 52, maybe take a trip north of the 52 under the "west" bridge and return under the "east" bridge to the parking area across the grasslands, etc...

This way if folks want to park at the end of Clairemont to grab caches in the west valley, they can do that, and return from the end of North Fortuna or head with the main group and hitch a ride back to Clairemont. Additionally, cachers afraid of the dark :D, or those with curfews :) , can start early to get most of their caching done by daylight, then head home after they sign in at the event.

We could call it MTRP Armistice, or Cache Wars Seize Fire, or The Empire Strikes back (oops, not that one).

We would need a place with circular tables so everyone is equal...like the Knights of the Round Table (those English kunigits). Is there a Round Table Pizza in Santee or vicinity? Are we sick of pizza yet???

Anyone interested?

Hmmm...a night hike offers plenty of opportunity for surreptitiously dropping a few more mines, er, I mean caches... :)

:D:) I'm in....I mean John and I are in....yippee!!! I love those hills...and at night you won't be able to see how steep they are!!! Can we climb them all????

...and now that John is "in" the odds of a cache or two being "accidently" dropped along the way has just gone up... :)

So much for a cease fire... :)

What time of night are we talking about here?

Sorry, it'll be past your bedtime :D ; sorry, couldn' resist!

8p'ish to whenever, on a Friday or Saturday night, and on a near-full to full moon. I gotta check my calendars. Next full moon weekend is May 12.

What I'm thinking of doing is starting the event at top of the Fortuna saddle, then cachers can make their way up any number of routes to grab caches on the way up as they see fit, then head north as a group, to North Fortuna and east down the access road by the 52, maybe take a trip north of the 52 under the "west" bridge and return under the "east" bridge to the parking area across the grasslands, etc...

This way if folks want to park at the end of Clairemont to grab caches in the west valley, they can do that, and return from the end of North Fortuna or head with the main group and hitch a ride back to Clairemont. Additionally, cachers afraid of the dark :D, or those with curfews :) , can start early to get most of their caching done by daylight, then head home after they sign in at the event.

Y'all gonna die ....

We placed a cache in Julian yesterday (it was our 1st anniversary and we spent the weekend up there).

Well I subbmitted the new cache and deleted the coords....and GC dropped the new cache. :)

Soooo if anyone is heading up the hill please let me know...you can beta test the cache and give me the coords. :) And I would be happy to reimburse you for a piece of pie or??? :)

You may be able to download the track from your GPS into your mapping program (assuming you have one) and figure out the cache coordinates pretty close from looking at your track. RM

Beware of spies from the East... :)

Do not give the "other coast" people any help on TT's puzzles....Jeff has used some of his puzzles out there and they are trying to back door him. I have received e-mail from a few of them.

Jeff has asked if we would not help them!

How much are those "other coast" people offering for hints, and how much is TT offering to keep quiet? I, for one, have a price, you know.... :)

:) What is your price for Cegrube's puzzle in MTRP?? :)

You may be able to download the track from your GPS into your mapping program (assuming you have one) and figure out the cache coordinates pretty close from looking at your track. RM

You are the man!

Do not give the "other coast" people any help on TT's puzzles....Jeff has used some of his puzzles out there and they are trying to back door him. I have received e-mail from a few of them.

How much are those "other coast" people offering for hints, and how much is TT offering to keep quiet? I, for one, have a price, you know.... :)

Well, I suppose if someone would serve as my Geo-valet and go log me in to the 50+ new caches that have popped up since the War began, I would probably allow a hint or two... I HAD MTRP COMPLETELY CLEARED BEFORE THE WAR!! I'M ABOUT READY TO GO ON THE WARPATH MYSELF!! Why I oughta...

Edited by FlagMan

Well, I suppose if someone would serve as my Geo-valet and go log me in to the 50+ new caches that have popped up since the War began, I would probably allow a hint or two... I HAD MTRP COMPLETELY CLEARED BEFORE THE WAR!! I'M ABOUT READY TO GO ON THE WARPATH MYSELF!! Why I oughta...

Now you've gone and done it again "I HAD MTRP COMPLETELY CLEARED ...."

Who started that latest MTRP mess anyway?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thanks B)

How much are those "other coast" people offering for hints, and how much is TT offering to keep quiet? I, for one, have a price, you know.... :P

I think it was Flagman's Cache that started the war, so I blame Flagman!

D!

Edited by Duncan!

Thanks B)

How much are those "other coast" people offering for hints, and how much is TT offering to keep quiet? I, for one, have a price, you know.... :P

I think it was Flagman's Cache that started the war, so I blame Flagman!

D!

Clear thinking D! I second the motion.

But wait, didn't you plant that Flagman cache?

Harmon

I spent the last two days working with a bunch of Lockheed Martin spacecraft folks (interesting bunch :blink: ). They have more acronyms than Carter Has Pills (And I thought us Launch Vehicle types had the acronym market cornered).

Anyway, we have been working on the proposal for GPS III, the next generation of the Navstar Global Positioning System. After all I have learned about this technologically advanced spacecraft, I will feel kind of silly walking around in parking lots with my GPS'r lifting lamp post skirts :yikes: . I haven't told the group of scientists that all of their efforts on the improved technology will help us to look for Tupperware in the woods :anicute: .

Lockheed is currently in production on the GPS IIR-M satellite that provides a much stronger military and civilian signal than the previous versions. The first one was launched in September. Here is a pic of the IIR-M bird:

9160.jpg

Edited by RocketMan

Happy Fun ball has noticed the "war".

Happy Fun Ball is not amused.

Happy Fun Ball reserves the right to activate pre-placed caches he left behind....and make them nasty puzzles.

DO NOT TAUNT HAPPY FUN BALL.

cap30.jpg

--TT--

I AGREE!!!! Don't taunt the happy fun ball..

Whatever!

He has nothing...He does not remember where he hid them...and if he did, there is probably a cache 10' away. And if all else fails, I will fly over there and kick his East coast donkey. :blink:

Or...I'll just give all the West Coast secrets to his East Coast puzzles :yikes::anicute:

Edited by GoBolts!

Happy Fun ball has noticed the "war".

Happy Fun Ball is not amused.

Happy Fun Ball reserves the right to activate pre-placed caches he left behind....and make them nasty puzzles.

DO NOT TAUNT HAPPY FUN BALL.

cap30.jpg

--TT--

I AGREE!!!! Don't taunt the happy fun ball..

Discontinue use of Happy Fun Ball if any of the following occurs: Itching, vertigo, dizziness, tingling in extremities, loss of balance or coordination, slurred speech, temporary blindness,

profuse sweating, or heart palpitations.

Good golly that explains everything, those are General Cegrube Marx's old-age symptoms to the letter.

Harmon

MTRP Allied Forces

Edited by SD Rowdies

I spent the last two days working with a bunch of Lockheed Martin spacecraft folks (interesting bunch :P ). They have more acronyms than Carter Has Pills (And I thought us Launch Vehicle types had the acronym market cornered).

Anyway, we have been working on the proposal for GPS III, the next generation of the Navstar Global Positioning System. After all I have learned about this technologically advanced spacecraft, I will feel kind of silly walking around in parking lots with my GPS'r lifting lamp post skirts :huh: . I haven't told the group of scientists that all of their efforts on the improved technology will help us to look for Tupperware in the woods :laughing: .

Lockheed is currently in production on the GPS IIR-M satellite that provides a much stronger military and civilian signal than the previous versions. The first one was launched in September. Here is a pic of the IIR-M bird:

9160.jpg

Rocketman,

That thing looks pretty serious. I had envisioned GP satellites as Sputnik looking things! When it is expended I hope it misses MY house! :anibad:

Anyone interested?

Also bring them by to do my new EVIL hide S.C.U.M. It has a new hiding spot. :huh:

Even EVILer than original hiding place for S.C.U.M. version 2.0 ( :laughing: ), or is it similar hiding technique, but a less private splotch of land? That one was evil; 4 of us were there for about 15 minutes before we decided to call you.

It is more evil come and find out . :anibad:

But I've already logged it...

Also bring them by to do my new EVIL hide S.C.U.M. It has a new hiding spot. :huh:

Even EVILer than original hiding place for S.C.U.M. version 2.0 ( :laughing: ), or is it similar hiding technique, but a less private splotch of land? That one was evil; 4 of us were there for about 15 minutes before we decided to call you.

It is more evil come and find out . :anibad:

But I've already logged it...

Since it's EVIL, it must be OK to do the EVIL thing and log it again... :P:P

(It wasn't me that said that! Honest! Some evil entity took over my keyboard...)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

I spent the last two days working with a bunch of Lockheed Martin spacecraft folks (interesting bunch :anibad: ). They have more acronyms than Carter Has Pills (And I thought us Launch Vehicle types had the acronym market cornered).

Anyway, we have been working on the proposal for GPS III, the next generation of the Navstar Global Positioning System. After all I have learned about this technologically advanced spacecraft, I will feel kind of silly walking around in parking lots with my GPS'r lifting lamp post skirts :laughing: . I haven't told the group of scientists that all of their efforts on the improved technology will help us to look for Tupperware in the woods :huh: .

9160.jpg

Jeez, Dave, that thing looks like a prop from Willy Wonka - what's with the giant candy canes on the top? The serious looking guy has the Oompa-Loompa gloves on, but he's not fooling me by hunching down like that. I can tell he's not a REAL Oompa Loompa scientist!

I spent the last two days working with a bunch of Lockheed Martin spacecraft folks (interesting bunch :laughing: ). They have more acronyms than Carter Has Pills (And I thought us Launch Vehicle types had the acronym market cornered).

Anyway, we have been working on the proposal for GPS III, the next generation of the Navstar Global Positioning System. After all I have learned about this technologically advanced spacecraft, I will feel kind of silly walking around in parking lots with my GPS'r lifting lamp post skirts :anibad: . I haven't told the group of scientists that all of their efforts on the improved technology will help us to look for Tupperware in the woods :huh: .

9160.jpg

Rocketman,

That thing looks pretty serious. I had envisioned GP satellites as Sputnik looking things! When it is expended I hope it misses MY house! :P

Funny, but I always thought they were more round too, and smaller. This looks like a mini Borg cube.

Jeez, Dave, that thing looks like a prop from Willy Wonka - what's with the giant candy canes on the top?

That would be what is known as the "Antenna Farm." One of those antennae sends the signal that you pick up on your GPS'r. Now that's some powerful candy. :D

In January I attended the Commnexus (formerly San Diego Telecom Council) Military Special Interest Group event titled - "Military SIG - GPS - Next Generation Technology and Applications ". Randy Rollo from SPAWAR presented to the very knowledgeable crowd, and quite frankly lost me right after the coffee and muffins at the top of the hour.

I was really impressed with all of the technology (that he could discuss with a civilian audience). Amazing advancements, even if I still have the Willy Wonka image now ingrained in my mind. Have you thought about launching the satellites using fizzy lifting drinks? :D

T - minus 18 minutes if anyone is interested in seeing another Atlas Launch.

Click here to View Webcast.

Thanks RM that was sweet!

Ditto! :D I have to see one of those LIVE someday!

The Centaur upper stage is still in its 85 minute coast with the engine shut down. At 6:10 pm eastern, MES-2 (Main Engine Start 2) will occur and Centaur will finish its mission (hopefully) a few minutes later putting the spacecraft into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO).

2215 GMT (6:15 p.m. EDT)

greypixel.gif

T+plus 108 minutes, 14 seconds. SPACECRAFT SEPARATION! The European ASTRA 1KR television broadcast spacecraft has been deployed from the Centaur upper stage! This is the 79th consecutive successful launch for the Atlas rocket family dating back to 1993.

This is the 79th consecutive successful launch for the Atlas rocket family dating back to 1993.
Wow, talk about "tried and true"! But never routine for us! :rolleyes:

It's actually kind of funny that we call every launch a "test". There is a test conductor and it is run to a test procedure just like any other test that we run. Our launch success record is unsurpassed and I hope we keep it that way. RM

OK boys and girls - Change your user name now of forever hold your current name.

Read This

We are currently on our road trip, and actually attended an open house at GS headquarters yesterday. Got a chance to meet Jeremy and the rest of the crew too. While we were there, they gave an interactive demo of the new feature they are unveiling on the 15th.

While I am not really excited about the Waymarking site, and haven't participated there, I think the new feature has some great potential.

It is kind of a real-life role playing game. The quality of each adventure or "module" will really be dependent on the creativity of the author though. The only drawback for me is I have a Palm, and the new game will only work with a pocket PC.

Anyway, the way they showed it, I think there are a lot of incredible opportunities!

See you when we get home...on toward Yellowstone today!

:unsure:

3 bucks!!!! :P Are they insane?!?!?! :D How is anyone supposed to be able to go caching at such a high price?!?!?!? :D:D:D:ph34r::D:D:o:laughing:

Lets see, I did 14 caches the other day and my fill-up cost was $92.00, So my cost per cache was $6.57! Oh well, I figure it was worth that!

Team Fatman and me did 14 Caches yesterday and this morning I put $14 in to fill it back up. :lol::P That's only $1.00 per Cache. :P:lol: We did 75 miles of driving and that doesn't count the DNF. :D:D If the price keeps going up I'll get knee replacements and go for all the MTRP Caches. The're only one mile from the house. :o

:lol:

3 bucks!!!! :P Are they insane?!?!?! :o How is anyone supposed to be able to go caching at such a high price?!?!?!? :P:D:D:unsure::D:D:laughing::lol:

Lets see, I did 14 caches the other day and my fill-up cost was $92.00, So my cost per cache was $6.57! Oh well, I figure it was worth that!

Team Fatman and me did 14 Caches yesterday and this morning I put $14 in to fill it back up. :D:D That's only $1.00 per Cache. :P:o We did 75 miles of driving and that doesn't count the DNF. :D:D If the price keeps going up I'll get knee replacements and go for all the MTRP Caches. The're only one mile from the house. :D

Better get it done soon Chuys going to be are guide on the 12th of May. :ph34r:

3 bucks!!!! B) Are they insane?!?!?! :huh: How is anyone supposed to be able to go caching at such a high price?!?!?!? :D:D:huh:B):huh::D:ph34r::P

My Dad reports that....after doing the conversion from metric, that he is paying around about $12 a gallon. But...fuel has been at that height since before I left Queensland.

When I was home the other week, it was 93p a litre, so that's $1.66 a litre, which is $6.28 a (US) gallon.

(P.S. I thought HelBob Duo was complaining about the $3 a month subscription fee for gc.com!)

3 bucks!!!! B) Are they insane?!?!?! :huh: How is anyone supposed to be able to go caching at such a high price?!?!?!? :D:D:huh:B):huh::D:ph34r::P

My Dad reports that....after doing the conversion from metric, that he is paying around about $12 a gallon. But...fuel has been at that height since before I left Queensland.

When I was home the other week, it was 93p a litre, so that's $1.66 a litre, which is $6.28 a (US) gallon.

(P.S. I thought HelBob Duo was complaining about the $3 a month subscription fee for gc.com!)

Why is it so freaking high over there? Is there a high tax on gas?

Edited by TrailGators