The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Are all of the SD geocachers accounted for today? Tragic story on SignOnSanDiego:

(snip)

The Border Patrol agents, trained in search and rescue and swift-water rescue, found the hikers a few hours later, Kite said. One of the hikers died and the others were stabilized and taken to area hospitals[/b].[/color]

There was a report on the news tonight of four illegals found in that area, one of them dead. That's a commonly attempted bypass route for Los Coyotes due to the INS checkpoints in that area. Perhaps the two reports concern the same incident.

It sure sounds like they are referring to the same incident, Harmon. It's a tragedy all the same, but I'm still relieved to know noone here was involved.

Are all of the SD geocachers accounted for today? Tragic story on SignOnSanDiego:

(snip)

The Border Patrol agents, trained in search and rescue and swift-water rescue, found the hikers a few hours later, Kite said. One of the hikers died and the others were stabilized and taken to area hospitals[/b].[/color]

There was a report on the news tonight of four illegals found in that area, one of them dead. That's a commonly attempted bypass route for Los Coyotes due to the INS checkpoints in that area. Perhaps the two reports concern the same incident.

It sure sounds like they are referring to the same incident, Harmon. It's a tragedy all the same, but I'm still relieved to know noone here was involved.

Yes, thank goodness. Nothing yet on the Sheriff-report web page. I'm sure that they haven't had time to post their report. Where the heck was the BRAs when we need them, especially with Barbara BRA going into police work.

WOW :(

Yesterday!

Looks like I missed all the fun. :rolleyes:

I got in last night, it wasn't raining and really wasn't too cold. Not like I've always dreamed California would be, but it wasn't too bad. Kinda reminds me of home. B)

Dude,

When are we going caching?

I sent you an email a couple days ago... does Tuesday evening work for you? I'm running around with Dugan today, and Chuy said he'd hit a few with me tomorrow. Jahoadi & John had mentioned going out Wednesday afternoon, but I haven't heard anything definite from them as far as a time. Tuesday during the day I have meetings, but after 5 I'm free. If that doesn't work for you, let me know. The more time I spend outside of this hotel, the happier I'll be. :tired:

I don't know if anyone noticed it but there is now a version of Cachemate for the Pocket PC. I was toying with the idea of using my daughters Pocket PC for caching after having smashed my Palm Pilot last weekend. When I tried to load GPXSonar, I was unsuccessful because it requires PPC 2003 and my daughters PDA only has PPC 2002.

I went to do some reading in the Software forums to see if there was another option and I ran into this thread. I now have Cachemate loaded on the PPC and it works great. It has some added functionality that the Palm version doesn't have, including being able to read GPX files directly. Just dump them into the PPC and you are good to go. Another nice thing is that it sorts out your founds and unfounds and puts them into the right category when you load the GPX file.

If you have already registered Cachemate, you can register the PPC version for free. Here are a few screen shots:

e197c375-8b83-42cb-aa43-8eb337bba55d.jpg

Shows Bugs, checked ones are founds and shows which ones you have added notes to.

f25e66d4-5ed8-419f-808a-518908cf67e0.jpg

05c3da19-8820-4396-9bb8-232d85f318b0.jpg

I don't know if anyone noticed it but there is now a version of Cachemate for the Pocket PC. I was toying with the idea of using my daughters Pocket PC for caching after having smashed my Palm Pilot last weekend. When I tried to load GPXSonar, I was unsuccessful because it requires PPC 2003 and my daughters PDA only has PPC 2002.

I went to do some reading in the Software forums to see if there was another option and I ran into this thread. I now have Cachemate loaded on the PPC and it works great. It has some added functionality that the Palm version doesn't have, including being able to read GPX files directly. Just dump them into the PPC and you are good to go. Another nice thing is that it sorts out your founds and unfounds and puts them into the right category when you load the GPX file.

So, she wants a new PPC, eh? :rolleyes:

Thanks for including me in your fun today Dugan, Miragee, and Bikehead! I had a blast! There are definitely some really cool areas and caches around here. I'm looking forward to hitting a few more before I head home!

df47f20b-a304-45ee-b6ba-7f75c27cb92d.jpg

Hi DocDitto, glad you had fun! SD is a great area to cache in. I see that you found Local Treasure! That is a really fun one!

I grew up only a couple hours south of you in Potomac, Md. I did some caching up in Greensburg, PA a few months ago. Anyhow, I'll be headed to Vegas tomorrow for a couple of days, but maybe I can cache with you next time you're out in the area! :rolleyes:

Thanks for including me in your fun today Dugan, Miragee, and Bikehead! I had a blast! There are definitely some really cool areas and caches around here. I'm looking forward to hitting a few more before I head home!

df47f20b-a304-45ee-b6ba-7f75c27cb92d.jpg

It was hanging out with you guys yesterday... I appreciate you showing me a bunch of different things. Hope to see you down here again soon. Don't forget your sunglasses :rolleyes:

Today at breakfast I was talking to some others who are in San Diego for the same conference I am. The conversation turned to how we spent our free time. "I visited Sea World" was the response from one young lady. "I went on a whale watch" was another man's reply. "Seaport Village" said another.

I just looked at them and smiled...

"I visited a WWII bunker on Point Loma, crawled through a 4' storm drain under a highway, saw the sunset from Sunset Cliffs, toured the woods on the UCSD campus after dark, went down to the Southwestern most point of the US, hiked well over 6 miles on Tuesday, was questioned by a police officer on Coronado Wednesday, and had a great time with a bunch of local people every day I was here."

They didn't say too much (just kinda looked at me like I was nuts), but all of a sudden I think Sea World, whale watching, and Seaport Village seemed kinda boring.

THANK YOU all of you who helped make my first visit to Southern California so memorable and full of adventure.

But especially to Duganrm, GoBolts!, Chuy, Miragee, and Jahoadi and John: You guys are the best. I really enjoyed meeting and caching with each of you, and I really appreciate the way you made the "guy from back east" feel welcome. It's people like you who really make this hobby fun and worthwhile. Not many folks are willing or able to take time out of their own busy schedules to help a complete stranger participate in this hobby/obsession the way you guys did. You guys are great, and I really think that San Diego is blessed with some of the nicest people on earth. Thanks for making my visit here so awesome!

My flight home takes off around noon, and thus ends this adventure. You've got some excellent caches and cachers here in SD, and I'm looking forward to the day (whenever it might be) that I can return. Until then I'll see you here in the forums.

Take care, and keep on cachin'!

--Doug

cd198f34-f9f2-467c-aada-76a7803ec7b4.jpg

I've gotta head up to Chico for business tomorrow, so of course, I plotted out some caches for the drive from Sacramento to Chico.

Look at this Google Earth shot of Yuba City! I should bring John&Jess with me...well, at least Jess anyway! :(

e7db8f33-ba8b-4d86-955c-9e65263b0ff1.jpg

Nothing good comes out of "Yuba City".

:(

I've gotta head up to Chico for business tomorrow, so of course, I plotted out some caches for the drive from Sacramento to Chico.

Look at this Google Earth shot of Yuba City! I should bring John&Jess with me...well, at least Jess anyway! :(

Those aren't mystery caches! They mark the location of people who don't know why they live there!!

Looks like a numbers padding day :D:D:(:(

Hey guys got a quick question, I want to take a 1-2 mile hike tommorow and am taking the girlfriend and the dog, what would be a decent little hike, that I could get a bunch of caches along the wayalso, just maybe one that has stood out for you guys, thanks for the help, and also If you could hook me up with directions or waypoints to the starting point,

Thank you

(DKZ) EL CHORIZO

Hey guys got a quick question, I want to take a 1-2 mile hike tommorow and am taking the girlfriend and the dog, what would be a decent little hike, that I could get a bunch of caches along the wayalso, just maybe one that has stood out for you guys, thanks for the help, and also If you could hook me up with directions or waypoints to the starting point,

Thank you

(DKZ) EL CHORIZO

Mission Trails Park has a BUNCH of caches....plus several trails with varied degrees of difficulty.

If the weather clears, the views from Mt. McGinty will be fantastic.

"No Hinty on McGinty "is the one on the top.

There are 10 other caches to find up there . . . although it is a tad longer than two miles . . .

Oh, by the way, those other ten are mine, and they are lonely. :lol:

Hi Miragee,

Which cache is the first cache to hit on the way up to No Hinty on McGinty? The Nutbag and I might head up there soon to keep them company. :lol:

Tinfoil-Hat Head

Originally, it would have been "Agave Grande," then on to "Just Showin' The Way," but that is the hard way now.

From "You Can Cache," which leads you to the parking in the cul-de-sac, head up towards "Lonely Tree with a View." Then you go up the road to "Just Hangin' Out Enjoying the View," and across to "Can You See Mt. Helix," and so on.

You will get "Just Showin' the Way" and "Agave Grande" on the way back. :lol:

Several pages back in the Event thread, TrailGators posted a Google Earth image . . . I think . . . :lol:

Let me know when you are coming and I might join you for part of the hike. I need to replace the container at "Just Hangin' Out . . ."

Thank you

(DKZ) EL CHORIZO

Old Highway 80 or Oakoasis are also options.

Thank you

(DKZ) EL CHORIZO

The Oakoasis loop is what I thought of when I read this request...

Another nice loop trail with several caches is the Visitor's Center Loop trail at MTRP...

Thank you

(DKZ) EL CHORIZO

The Oakoasis loop is what I thought of when I read this request...

Another nice loop trail with several caches is the Visitor's Center Loop trail at MTRP...

The only problem with MTRP is that the clay will build up on your boots when its wet, this only adds 5 # or so to each so if thats not a prob let er rip

We had this same problem near Black Mountain this morning. :P

LLOT, I figured you'd be out there to get Tom's new cache off your 5 mile radar! :) Duganrm and I almost put one in that old Samurai ourselves when we were last out there... We cleared out all the caches on that mountain that day. It was nice while it lasted. Of course clearing any area of caches is like digging a hole in sand! :D The bright side is that new caches gives you a great reason to go back to some very cool areas! :D So I also need to go back to Woodson...Iron Mountain...Gower........Daley Ranch....and so on and so on....... :lol:

Edited by TrailGators
Oh . . . if I place another one on Mt. McGinty, will you come back down this way? :mad:

Just kidding, just kidding. :mad:

Sure add that one to the list.....hahaha! But I'll still have a long list of places I've never been and still want to go to first. I would also like to get out to the desert while the colors are peaking during the next 2-3 weeks. I see that there is another event out there so I'll probably go out to that. I definitely want to hit the Fish Creek area and those caches when I go out there.

Did anyone have problems with their GPSr today, I did 12 Caches and at least 10 of them it was all over the place. Went with Fattboy to do a Cache with his GPSr and it was way off. Just wondering how every one else did?

SKILLET

There were some anomalies throoughout the day, but it always settled down, and I didn't have any problem finding stuff, except for cegrube's new feedbag cache...

Did anyone have problems with their GPSr today, I did 12 Caches and at least 10 of them it was all over the place. Went with Fattboy to do a Cache with his GPSr and it was way off. Just wondering how every one else did?

SKILLET

Mine gave me a couple problems while caching today. I had it tell me I was on top of a cache and then after a minute of searching it told me I was 70' off.

Can I use this as an excuse for a DNF on The Vulture's Revenge cache? :mad:

SKILLET

Mine gave me a couple problems while caching today. I had it tell me I was on top of a cache and then after a minute of searching it told me I was 70' off.

Can I use this as an excuse for a DNF on The Vulture's Revenge cache? :mad:

Had a little cocktail before Geocaching did we? Hmm?

LLOT, I figured you'd be out there to get Tom's new cache off your 5 mile radar! :mad: Duganrm and I almost put one in that old Samurai ourselves when we were last out there... We cleared out all the caches on that mountain that day. It was nice while it lasted. Of course clearing any area of caches is like digging a hole in sand! B)
Yep, this'll be the fifth time in a year that we've cleared off that mountain... :P

Oh . . . if I place another one on Mt. McGinty, will you come back down this way? :mad:

I'm still waiting for LLOT to come find the original set . . . :D

I'm still waiting for you to fill up McGinty -- I can still see some gaps in Google Earth... :D

My GPSr was pretty solid today -- except for that new cache up by Black Mountain. On that one, my GPSr had us about a third of a mile off... :D:):D

There were some anomalies throoughout the day, but it always settled down, and I didn't have any problem finding stuff, except for cegrube's new feedbag cache...

Funny thing on that Feedbag cache -- it was our second FTF today and our second cache that we found after the cache owner gave us corrected coordinates. :D

Maybe there were some anomalies today... :D