The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I just heard on the radio they have closed Sunrise Highway for the whole weekend. :wub:

The road between Descanso and Julian might be a tad treacherous as well if that is the case. :unsure:

hrtpmpfxr posted this website on the cache event page.

http://www.sdcdpw.org/#ROAD

The chains requirement on Hwy 78 and 79 in Julian might be a stumbling block for most of us.

Does 4 wheel drive make up for chains?

I just heard on the radio they have closed Sunrise Highway for the whole weekend. :wub:

The road between Descanso and Julian might be a tad treacherous as well if that is the case. :unsure:

The chains requirement on Hwy 78 and 79 in Julian might be a stumbling block for most of us.

We were lucky to get back thismorning. :wub:

Note that S2 and S22 also have 2" snow. Don't quite know how else to get there if all the roads have snow...

Ranchita/San Felipe

S2 & S22 - 2" snow - Strong Winds in Borrego

If they are requiring chains, they will let 4 WD vehicles through without them on but sometimes they check to make sure you have them with you. Just showing them any old set of chains will usually do the trick. RM

If they are requiring chains, they will let 4 WD vehicles through without them on but sometimes they check to make sure you have them with you. Just showing them any old set of chains will usually do the trick. RM

Driving down steep icy roads can be very tricky even for 4x4's! I remember a 10 mile stretch of I94 one time that had 50 cars slide off the road because the road so deceivingly slippery. That road was not steep at all abd those guys drive on snow and ice all the time! So those going out there need to be extremely careful going down the grade!

I once drove from Carlin, NV to Eureka, NV on a snow-covered road that hadn't been plowed yet. :wub:

I was stupid! :unsure:

It was very treacherous and took more than four hours to travel the 90 miles. I drove very, very carefully and made it. However, I did see one vehicle off the road in a ditch. It was a 4WD.

I echo what TG says. Be very careful driving on the wet and slippery roads.

So here's what I'm thinking:
  1. Black Beard's Grotto
  2. Indiana Jones: Lost City of Atlantis
  3. Gateway to the Submerged Forest
  4. Yukon Diving
  5. La Cucaracha Rio
  6. The Womb

And if there's still time, we can finish with some of the caches on Sunrise Highway.

Crud! There goes half of my plan. I guess we'll have to stick to the coastal and tunnel caches this weekend. :unsure:

:wub:

Driving down steep icy roads can be very tricky even for 4x4's!

It's best to remember that while only some cars have Four Wheel Drive, almost all cars have Four Wheel Braking! :wub:

(When we lived in Colorado, there was never any problem getting replacement body parts for the back ends of 4WD vehicles. The auto junk yards always had a good selection in any color you needed. Replacement hoods and grills, however, were pretty scarce!)

FYI, this is a good site for forecasts - you can click all around the county instead of having to type anything in:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/

Thanks!

Here is what that site says about the area around Borrego:

e7de13e9-fb4c-4ca4-bda9-3e11979dd2f1.jpg

The bummer part is, that normally when it rains over on here on the coast, it gets really windy in the desert. We'll make it a good time regardless of the weather!

Brutal forecast. This weekend I was supposed to be camping at Agua Caliente with the Ecke YMCA Indian Princesses. We were looking forward to the Mud Caves and some caches (we've always stayed at Blair Valley, and the girls absolutely love caching there - in addition to the official geocaches, we usually plant 3 or 4 temporary caches filled with girl swag like beads and plastic jewelry).

Given the forecast, we decided to bag it. It's going to be a movie weekend for us. I can't imagine anything less fun than sitting in a tent in the cold rain with 20 MPH winds and snow 500 feet above us, and then hauling all that wet stuff home. Instead, I'll enjoy a glass of wine or two and catch up on many months of GC Forums that I've missed.

Good luck in Ocotillo!

Tycho

Given the forecast, we decided to bag it. It's going to be a movie weekend for us. I can't imagine anything less fun than sitting in a tent in the cold rain with 20 MPH winds and snow 500 feet above us, and then hauling all that wet stuff home. Instead, I'll enjoy a glass of wine or two and catch up on many months of GC Forums that I've missed.

Good luck in Ocotillo!

Tycho

Totally agree with you there Tycho! :wub:

Looking at the bright side there is another event next weekend in the desert to look forward too! :unsure:

At the end of the month I'm going to be backpacking with my kids in the Cleveland Nat'l Forest. We're going to be taking the Tenaja Trail - Fisherman's Camp Loop. This might be a stretch, but I'm trying to find out if anyone has a GPX file of that route, or knows a way to make one.

I've got two days left on the 14 day trial of TRails.com, and I can download a gpx file over their Topos. Since I'm going to be indoors all weekend, I have time to goof around on the computer and convince my wife that I'm doing something beneficial as long as it LEADS to a recreational activiity. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Tycho

What mapping software do you have? You can create a .gpx file in Mapsource. That .gpx file can be used with the Arc/Poly filter in GSAK to locate caches along a specific route, or trail.

I've got mapsource, but I need a pre-run route or bread crumb trail to overlay the hiking loop. I'm not opposed to manually setting a route, but I don't have Topo maps.

Ok, I'm getting a little scared now.. all this talk of snow... this is NOT in/immediately around SD, right? i looked at the weather and it looks like 60 is the average temp around SD right now... if there's snow to worry about, I'm gonna have to repack my suitcase before I head to the airport at 10:00 tomorrow...

what's the scoop? I thought CA was supposed to be nicer than PA in the winter! Have I been lied to all these years? :(<_<

Ok, I'm getting a little scared now.. all this talk of snow... this is NOT in/immediately around SD, right? i looked at the weather and it looks like 60 is the average temp around SD right now... if there's snow to worry about, I'm gonna have to repack my suitcase before I head to the airport at 10:00 tomorrow...

what's the scoop? I thought CA was supposed to be nicer than PA in the winter! Have I been lied to all these years? :(<_<

Lat time in snowed in downtown San Diego was 1952. The Horten Fountain looked terrific covered in snow.

Hehe, the difference is, our snow is avoidable! You won't find any between the ocean and around 3000' above sea level. It's there if you want it and not if you don't! :(

Hehe, the difference is, our snow is avoidable! You won't find any between the ocean and around 3000' above sea level. It's there if you want it and not if you don't! <_<

whew! I'll pass on the snow. We get enough here to fill my quota. I guess I can leave the shorts at home though, and probably should pack a few more long sleeve shirts... <sigh>

From all the weather reports, I expected snow at my house this morning -- 2400' of elevation -- but it is just gray, damp, and only 38° outside. <_< (It is only 48° in here -- it will take a while for my little heater to warm this room up.)

The Sandy Creek Cowboy caches are at an even higher elevation, but in a few days, the weather should be warm and sunny again.

32.gif

You have to find at least some of the SCC caches. :(

Ten-day Forecast

From all the weather reports, I expected snow at my house this morning -- 2400' of elevation -- but it is just gray, damp, and only 38° outside. <_< (It is only 48° in here -- it will take a while for my little heater to warm this room up.)

The Sandy Creek Cowboy caches are at an even higher elevation, but in a few days, the weather should be warm and sunny again.

32.gif

You have to find at least some of the SCC caches. :(

Ten-day Forecast

SCC caches are very fun! :(

They are forecasting showers for next Saturday too..... :)

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA

1150 AM PST SAT MAR 11 2006

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN DIEGO HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR..

CENTRAL SAN DIEGO COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF ESCONDIDO

* UNTIL 115 PM PST

* AT 1145 AM PST...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS

OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR ESCONDIDO...AND MOVING

EAST TO NORTHEAST AT 30 MPH. DOPPLER RADAR SHOWS THE STORM HAS

SIGNS OF ROTATION. LARGE AMOUNT OF ACCUMULATING SMALL HAIL CAN BE

EXPECTED WITH THIS STORM.

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN PRODUCE A :( TORNADO :) WITH LITTLE ADVANCE

WARNING. IF A TORNADO APPROACHES MOVE TO A PLACE OF SAFETY AWAY FROM

WINDOWS.

LAT...LON 3328 11713 3304 11718 3297 11664 3328 11665

-----------------------------------

RUN FOR THE DESERT!!! <_<:(

~Jess

EXPECTED WITH THIS STORM.~Jess

We just got the hail out by the WAP!

It was wild! <_<

See my photos on the "This Just In" thread!

Edited by TrailGators

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE SAN DIEGO CA

1150 AM PST SAT MAR 11 2006

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN DIEGO HAS ISSUED A

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING FOR..

CENTRAL SAN DIEGO COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST CALIFORNIA

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF ESCONDIDO

* UNTIL 115 PM PST

EXPECTED WITH THIS STORM.

* SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS CAN PRODUCE A :( TORNADO :o WITH LITTLE ADVANCE

WARNING. IF A TORNADO APPROACHES MOVE TO A PLACE OF SAFETY AWAY FROM

WINDOWS.

LAT...LON 3328 11713 3304 11718 3297 11664 3328 11665

-----------------------------------

RUN FOR THE DESERT!!! :):(

~Jess

There is lightning and thunder up here, and the ground is getting white. <_< I would escape to the desert . . . but I think the roads are closed. :huh:

ba8d952e-4ab0-422f-8059-06a0f265eedb.jpg

Edit to add appropriate quote and picture . . .

Edited by Miragee

It was wild! <_<

My yard in La Mesa looked just like that!! Cool thunder too.

If I have to stay indoors much longer, I think I'm going to scream!!!

Why are you indoors? It's nice out here on the coast - we're kinda missing all the exciting weather everyone else is getting. :rolleyes:

Here's today's alternative to geocaching at 11:45 in La Costa...

969b1c93-b03d-4c5a-a2f7-d59664ba4c6c.jpg

72fe4523-2069-483a-ba38-19a5954125e5.jpg

Why are you indoors? It's nice out here on the coast - we're kinda missing all the exciting weather everyone else is getting. :rolleyes:

Great pictures! Haha! :D

By the way, regarding your Tenaja trail question earlier you could use Google Earth to see the trail and get the coords for several waypoints along the trail that you could input into your geepus! :huh:

Why are you indoors? It's nice out here on the coast - we're kinda missing all the exciting weather everyone else is getting. :huh:

What the heck! We're missing all the fun (Del Mar area) :rolleyes:

By the way, regarding your Tenaja trail question earlier you could use Google Earth to see the trail and get the coords for several waypoints along the trail that you could input into your geepus! :rolleyes:

That's what I think I'll end up doing. I was hoping for a sort of bread crumb trail that a previous hiker might have had (something like I did for the Top of La Costa caches last week - see link). Since there aren't any geocaches out there, I wouldn't expect any of the cachers to readily have a .gpx of a bread crumb trail for this loop.

By the way, regarding your Tenaja trail question earlier you could use Google Earth to see the trail and get the coords for several waypoints along the trail that you could input into your geepus! :rolleyes:

That's what I think I'll end up doing. I was hoping for a sort of bread crumb trail that a previous hiker might have had (something like I did for the Top of La Costa caches last week - see link). Since there aren't any geocaches out there, I wouldn't expect any of the cachers to readily have a .gpx of a bread crumb trail for this loop.

Actually there are a bunch of caches long Highway 74. A group of us did those about a year ago. That is a very cool area! Below is a Google Earth view of the Tenaja area. Have fun! 638e5042-3477-47dc-9e86-8e7230428a4c.jpg

At the end of the month I'm going to be backpacking with my kids in the Cleveland Nat'l Forest. We're going to be taking the Tenaja Trail - Fisherman's Camp Loop. This might be a stretch, but I'm trying to find out if anyone has a GPX file of that route, or knows a way to make one.

I've got two days left on the 14 day trial of TRails.com, and I can download a gpx file over their Topos. Since I'm going to be indoors all weekend, I have time to goof around on the computer and convince my wife that I'm doing something beneficial as long as it LEADS to a recreational activiity. Any thoughts would be welcomed.

Thanks!

Tycho

Ask this guy? http://www.djlang.net/GPS.htm

It was wild! :rolleyes:

Wot! no "Arrgh?"

It was wild! :huh:

Wot! no "Arrgh?"

pirate3.jpg

ARRGH! Shiver me frozen timbers, matey! :rolleyes:

Why are you indoors? It's nice out here on the coast - we're kinda missing all the exciting weather everyone else is getting. :huh:

Great pictures Steve. I have to know, are those kids boogie boarding on snow or hail. It it's snow, Encinitas got more snow than Denver today. We got none. :rolleyes:

Great pictures Steve. I have to know, are those kids boogie boarding on snow or hail. It it's snow, Encinitas got more snow than Denver today. We got none. :rolleyes:

It's hail, and those kids started boogie boarding up beyond those cars at the top of the pic. The hail was pretty large and hard and acted like ball bearings for the boogie boards. For a few minutes they were flying. Then it started melting.

The weathermen (women?) on the news are having a field day today using all those fancy words that they never say, like "rain" and "hail" and the hardest one of all "precipitation". I'm sure that when you have the late March sleet showers in Denver, the newspeople wont put it on the front page.

Dave, you might recognize the corner of the El Camino Creek Elementary teachers parking lot in the picture.

It's hail, and those kids started boogie boarding up beyond those cars at the top of the pic. The hail was pretty large and hard and acted like ball bearings for the boogie boards. For a few minutes they were flying. Then it started melting.

The weathermen (women?) on the news are having a field day today using all those fancy words that they never say, like "rain" and "hail" and the hardest one of all "precipitation". I'm sure that when you have the late March sleet showers in Denver, the newspeople wont put it on the front page.

Dave, you might recognize the corner of the El Camino Creek Elementary teachers parking lot in the picture.

Google Earth also has a nice feature that allows you to plot and measure a path (Tools menu).

Here is another view of that same area with the local caches included. I created a small path just to show the feature.

8a518b7c-9917-4c50-90bd-fe876b25b558.jpg

Snake & Rooster just did Sitton Peak, and S&R placed 4 corners. You might contact them to see if they saved the bread crumbs for that hike.

Are all of the SD geocachers accounted for today? Tragic story on SignOnSanDiego:

SIGNONSANDIEGO NEWS SERVICES

2:54 p.m. March 11, 2006

CARLSBAD – A hiker died Saturday after getting lost in the snow and four others were injured, authorities said.

Border Patrol official Richard Kite said agents received a report around 7:30 a.m. that five people were lost out in the snow near Corte Madera in Pine Valley. He would not comment on the exact cause of death nor identify the hikers.

The Border Patrol agents, trained in search and rescue and swift-water rescue, found the hikers a few hours later, Kite said. One of the hikers died and the others were stabilized and taken to area hospitals.

PineMountian.jpg

Tiff and I were in Pine Valley today on a non-geocaching matter before the storm hit. I was in the Sheriff's office when the "recovered" effect were brought in - local officer extended a little professional courtesy and filled me in. It didn't appear (to me) be a geocacher.

We were cut off on all three roads out of Pine Valley for about 3 hours. The bridge had 2 incidents, one in each direction requiring closure, including a snowplough that got stuck.

So as we were sitting in Pine Valley on a non-geocaching matter, what was I to do for four hours....Tiff knitted, I rumaged up some plunder for a new cache.

We drove out all right and I only have a front wheel drive sedan but those with chains got out around lunch.

Are all of the SD geocachers accounted for today? Tragic story on SignOnSanDiego:

SIGNONSANDIEGO NEWS SERVICES

2:54 p.m. March 11, 2006

CARLSBAD – A hiker died Saturday after getting lost in the snow and four others were injured, authorities said.

Border Patrol official Richard Kite said agents received a report around 7:30 a.m. that five people were lost out in the snow near Corte Madera in Pine Valley. He would not comment on the exact cause of death nor identify the hikers.

The Border Patrol agents, trained in search and rescue and swift-water rescue, found the hikers a few hours later, Kite said. One of the hikers died and the others were stabilized and taken to area hospitals.

There was a report on the news tonight of four illegals found in that area, one of them dead. That's a commonly attempted bypass route for Los Coyotes due to the INS checkpoints in that area. Perhaps the two reports concern the same incident.

Maybe now you guys will listen to me when I say "Y'all gonna die ....

Edited by SD Rowdies

PineMountian.jpg

Tiff and I were in Pine Valley today on a non-geocaching matter before the storm hit. I was in the Sheriff's office when the "recovered" effect were brought in - local officer extended a little professional courtesy and filled me in. It didn't appear (to me) be a geocacher.

We were cut off on all three roads out of Pine Valley for about 3 hours. The bridge had 2 incidents, one in each direction requiring closure, including a snowplough that got stuck.

So as we were sitting in Pine Valley on a non-geocaching matter, what was I to do for four hours....Tiff knitted, I rumaged up some plunder for a new cache.

We drove out all right and I only have a front wheel drive sedan but those with chains got out around lunch.

Say, you could have stayed completely out of the Pine Valley weather by doing a find on my grandson's GCRRVH cache. It's right there in the center of the village.

Love the photo, sunny day in Perth perhaps?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies