The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Check out the logs for this cache HERE.Start reading a few logs before Redrox' entry....

Glad we did this one before it turned into an outhouse.

Here's th' "poop" on another Geocaching fecal-matter incident. Many of you are familiar with the Sandy Creek Cowboy cache named "La Fantasma de Los Cruces." Once upon a time a bicycling time trial was held along Old 80 near the cache location. A few days later a finder's log-entry was posted saying that some fine person had used the cache hidey hole to relieve themself. Yep, right down the hole onto the top of the container.

Us ol' cowboys decided to wait a while for things to dry up before we dropped by the old Buckman Hotel ruin to clean things up. While we were waiting FishnJack showed up to score a find and actually cleaned up the mess in the process.

Now FishnJack and Roxanne are firmly fixed in my Geocaching memories. Way to go you two.

By the way, if you aren't familiar with "La Fantasma de Los Cruces" then shame on you.

Note: Apparently the "Gross Page" is back.

Another one that I was fortunate enough to find before someone logged it in a different way! :P

Check out the logs for this cache HERE.

Start reading a few logs before Redrox' entry....

Kinda like Redox's Sign the "Log" cache (GCP555) but for real :P

Nick

Roxanne, inquiring minds want to know what your exact words were when you slipped into the poo?

Edited by SD Rowdies
Check out the logs for this cache HERE.

Start reading a few logs before Redrox' entry....

Kinda like Redox's Sign the "Log" cache (GCP555) but for real :)

Nick

Roxanne, inquiring minds want to know what your exact words were when you slipped into the poo?

I called her last night right after I got her email. I won't repeat her exact words, this being a family forum and all. Now, I'm not saying Roxy isn't a lady or anything, but some of the tale won't look good in print.

Here are a few highlights...

She was bringing along 2 young ladies on their first caching expedition!

When she slipped and fell, she said, "Be careful, it's really muddy in here!"

To which they replied, "It's not muddy over here!" They then shone their flashlights on her, and let out a collective, "EEEWWW!"

Redrox stayed calmed, and tried to handle it as a matter of a typical caching hazard. She walked to her car, got some bottled water, and tried to wash her shoes off. She described it as, "Trying to wash butter off a friggin' Thomas' English Muffin!"

She then called it quits and headed home, turned on the heater in the car, forgot she had the floor vents on, and received some more unwanted "Aroma Therapy."

LOL :P

Hello all,

I have a question for local cachers, I have a miltary based travel bug that has been moving around that I brought back from utah with me, but wanted to place it in a miltary based cache, and I figured san diego should have quite a few of those, so if anybody knows any good military cachces please let me know thanks :P

Midway between... and Our American Heroes are two that come to mind.

Edited by Chuy
Changing the subject from the crappy one you guys have been discussing.....

I just checked the current weather for Ocotillo....

ddc641f0-2593-446d-80fa-f3481890f0be.jpg

Hopefully they are wrong!

Look on the bright side, you can just hop up Palomar and go sledding!

Friday

shsn.jpg

Chance Snow Showers

Friday

Night

nsn.jpg

Likely Snow Showers

Saturday

shsn.jpg

Snow Showers

Saturday

Night

nsn.jpg

Likely Snow Showers

Sunday

shsn.jpg

Likely Snow Showers

I heard that there may be snow in highly unusual places this weekend, like the Mojave desert and Joshua Tree!

I don't mean to be a BUGGER, But I am new to geochaching... In fact so New I found my first one today! Although very simple, I was so excited I posted it in Congrats forum in the uk on accident.

I am sorry for intruding on your conversation, But I was hoping for some tips on getting closer range with my gps. (garmin etrex legend) can you offer suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

:D:D

I don't mean to be a BUGGER, But I am new to geochaching... In fact so New I found my first one today! Although very simple, I was so excited I posted it in Congrats forum in the uk on accident.

I am sorry for intruding on your conversation, But I was hoping for some tips on getting closer range with my gps. (garmin etrex legend) can you offer suggestions.

Thanks for your help.

Cool...welcome what do you do in the Navy?

I know nothing about the Legend...

Thanks for your help.

What is the problem you are having? I have used the next step up from the Legend since just after I started caching (the Etrex Vista).

Thanks for your help.

I used a Legend for two years. The Legend has WAAS which improves accuracy but I never found that the extra accuracy was worth the significant drop in battery life. Plus the more you cache you more you realize that when you get within 10-20 feet of GZ that its better to put the GPS in your pocket and just start looking for good hiding spots in the area! You can see the accuracy at any given spot on the satellite page of the Legend. The accuracy will vary depending on how many satellites are in view of the GPS.

Edited by TrailGators

I heard that there may be snow in highly unusual places this weekend, like the Mojave desert and Joshua Tree!

FYI, this is a good site for forecasts - you can click all around the county instead of having to type anything in:

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/

Forbidden Forest: Let's pick a night!

I know there are some folks looking to join a group for the Forbidden Forest. I'm looking to do it one night next week - Sunday thru Wednesday are the nights I'm there. Team Fatman, anyone else - what night(s) work for you? Anyone else want to join in? The more the merrier, let's get something on the schedule! Does Sunday night work for anyone? Monday?

FYI, this is a good site for forecasts - you can click all around the county instead of having to type anything in:

Thanks!

Here is what that site says about the area around Borrego:

e7de13e9-fb4c-4ca4-bda9-3e11979dd2f1.jpg

The bummer part is, that normally when it rains over on here on the coast, it gets really windy in the desert. We'll make it a good time regardless of the weather!

Woo Hoo, we sure will! :D

But seriously, which areas should we avoid if it gets appreciably wet? Many of the caches require that you drive down long washes for miles. I'd hate to have deep mud puddles form behind me when I come back from some of these areas after a few hours. I'm not in a Jeep! For example would going to the Basilisk be a bad idea in a non-Jeep?

Edited by TrailGators

Thanks!

The bummer part is, that normally when it rains over on here on the coast, it gets really windy in the desert. We'll make it a good time regardless of the weather!

But seriously, which areas should we avoid if it gets appreciably wet? Many of the caches require that you drive down long windy washes for miles. I'd hate to have deep mud puddles form behind me when I go to some of these areas for a few hours. I'm not in a Jeep! For example would going to the Basilisk be a bad idea in a non-Jeep?

Y'all gonna die!

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thanks!

But seriously, which areas should we avoid if it gets appreciably wet? Many of the caches require that you drive down long windy washes for miles. I'd hate to have deep mud puddles form behind me when I go to some of these areas for a few hours. I'm not in a Jeep! For example would going to the Basilisk be a bad idea in a non-Jeep?

Y'all gonna die!

Harmon aren't you gonna die with us? :D

Thanks!

Woo Hoo, we sure will! :lol:

Y'all gonna die!

Harmon aren't you gonna die with us? :laughing:

Too old to die.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thanks!

Woo Hoo, we sure will! :(

Y'all gonna die!

Harmon aren't you gonna die with us? :lol:

Too old to die.

You can't be too old cause you just hiked up McGinty and the Fortunas! :laughing:

BTW do you notice this large blob of quotes starting to form here? :o

Edited by TrailGators

Thanks!

Woo Hoo, we sure will! :o

Y'all gonna die!

Harmon aren't you gonna die with us? :laughing:

Too old to die.

You can't be too old cause you just hiked up McGinty and the Fortunas! :(

BTW do you notice this large blob of quotes starting to form here? :lol:

I had noticed but don't quote me on that...

Thanks!

Woo Hoo, we sure will! :huh:

Y'all gonna die!

Harmon aren't you gonna die with us? :anicute:

Too old to die.

You can't be too old cause you just hiked up McGinty and the Fortunas! :wub:

It looks like the weather forecast has changed a little since last night.

Saturday has gone from "likely Rain Showers Windy" to "Chance Rain Showers!" Woo Hoo!

It looks like the worst part is now going to hit Friday night....

3f0ea0f5-807c-4e3f-ace2-dbf2176cfac9.jpg

Thanks!

Woo Hoo, we sure will! :huh:

Y'all gonna die!

Harmon aren't you gonna die with us? :anicute:

Too old to die.

You can't be too old cause you just hiked up McGinty and the Fortunas! :wub:

It looks like the weather forecast has changed a little since last night.

Saturday has gone from "likely Rain Showers Windy" to "Chance Rain Showers!" Woo Hoo!

It looks like the worst part is now going to hit Friday night....

3f0ea0f5-807c-4e3f-ace2-dbf2176cfac9.jpg

That's great news as I'm driving down from Los Angeles to give the 4x4 stuff a try. Can't wait.

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR ALL OF EXTREME SOUTHWESTERN

CALIFORNIA.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT.

HIGH RIP CURRENT RISK FOR COASTAL SAN DIEGO COUNTY...SEE LAXSRFSGX.

STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS IN THE MOUNTAINS AND NORTHERN DESERTS...SEE

LAXNPWSGX.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...FRIDAY THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

A COLD WINTER STORM WILL BRING WET...WINDY WEATHER FRIDAY THROUGH

SUNDAY. THE RAIN WILL BEGIN AS EARLY AS FRIDAY...WITH THE HEAVIEST

RAINS ARRIVING FRIDAY NIGHT AND SATURDAY. ONE TO TWO INCHES OF RAIN

WILL FALL IN THE COASTAL AND VALLEYS AREAS. ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS

WITH HAIL AND HEAVY DOWNPOURS WILL BE POSSIBLE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO

SATURDAY. THE HEAVY DOWNPOURS COULD CAUSE FLASH FLOODING...AND

MUDSLIDES AND DEBRIS FLOWS WILL BE POSSIBLE IN AND BELOW THE BURN

AREAS. SEE LAXSPSSGX FOR DETAILS.

IN THE MOUNTAINS THE COMBINATION OF STRONG WINDS...HEAVY SNOW...AND

DENSE FOG WILL RESULT IN HAZARDOUS TRAVEL THIS WEEKEND. TEMPERATURES

IN THE 20S AND 30S...ALONG WITH STRONG WINDS COULD BE A DEADLY

COMBINATION FOR UNPREPARED HIKERS AND CAMPERS THIS WEEKEND. A WINTER

STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR FRIDAY THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT FOR THE

MOUNTAINS AND HIGH DESERTS DUE TO THE STRONG WINDS WITH GUSTS TO 50

MPH...AND HEAVY SNOW EXPECTED...SEE LAXWSWSGX.

THE STORM WILL ALSO BRING INCREASING SURF AND A HIGH RIP CURRENT

RISK THURSDAY NIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT. THE STRONG WINDS AND A

LARGE...SHORT PERIOD SWELL OVER THE COASTAL WATERS WILL POSE A

HAZARD TO SMALL CRAFT THURSDAY THROUGH SATURDAY...SEE LAXCWFSGX

.SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...THE SKYWARN WEATHER SPOTTER NETWORK

WILL LIKELY BE ACTIVATED FOR THIS STORM.

should be an interesting weekend.

CALIFORNIA.

LAXNPWSGX.

I'm a little concerned with getting our motorhome over the mountains, especially if it's going to snow. I'm pulling my son out of school at noon tomorrow so that we can get an early start out there so here's hoping we can avoid the ugly weather. Worse comes to worse, I'll come out in the Jeep just for the day on Saturday...Besides....the chili is simmering on the stove as I type this.....it's gotta be eaten now! :rolleyes:

Doesn't Mother Nature know that the weather like this is supposed to happen during the week? Not during our weekends? Geez.........

CALIFORNIA.

LAXNPWSGX.

Y'ALL GONNA DIE.

Yeowsers.

Edited by TFTC
Thanks for the advice...

You all sound like a bunch of really ""Unique"" individuals!!!

Yea, some of these folks are REAL "individuals"!!! :mad: Right, Harmon? :rolleyes:

Are you using UTM? Don't! We were waaaay off using that. Thankfully we ran across TT doing the same cache & he set us straight. :smile:

Edited by HelBob Duo
Forbidden Forest: Let's pick a night!

I know there are some folks looking to join a group for the Forbidden Forest. I'm looking to do it one night next week - Sunday thru Wednesday are the nights I'm there. Team Fatman, anyone else - what night(s) work for you? Anyone else want to join in? The more the merrier, let's get something on the schedule! Does Sunday night work for anyone? Monday?

I vote for weds. night

Y'ALL GONNA DIE.

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

A MAJOR LATE WINTER STORM TAKING AIM AT SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.. A LARGE...COLD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL BE DEVELOPING OVER THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST THIS WEEKEND. A STRONG POLAR JET STREAM WILL DEVELOP OVER THE EAST PACIFIC AS THE STORM DEEPENS...SENDING COLD AND UNSTABLE AIR INTO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BEGINNING ON FRIDAY.. AND CONTINUING THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT. SHOWERY WEATHER IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THURSDAY NIGHT OR FRIDAY AS THE FIRST IN A SERIES OF IMPULSES RACES SOUTHEAST AHEAD OF THE STORM. PRECIPITATION IS NOT EXPECTED TO BE HEAVY...BUT SNOW LEVELS COULD FALL AS LOW AS 3500 FEET...WITH STRONG WINDS IN THE MOUNTAINS. A WIND ADVISORY HAS BEEN POSTED FOR MOUNTAIN AND HIGH DESERT AREAS THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.

A SECOND...STRONGER DISTURBANCE WILL APPROACH THE AREA ON FRIDAY NIGHT AND MOVE THROUGH ON SATURDAY. THIS COULD BE ACCOMPANIED BY HEAVIER RAIN...SNOW AND THUNDERSTORMS...WITH SNOW LEVELS FALLING LOCALLY TO 2000 FEET IN THE HEAVIER CONVECTIVE SHOWERS...AND STRONG WINDS IN THE MOUNTAINS. THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD LINGER INTO SUNDAY AS COLD...MOIST...AND UNSTABLE AIR CONTINUES TO FLOW IN FROM THE WEST. CURRENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT SIGNIFICANT SNOWS WILL FALL IN AREA MOUNTAINS OVER THE WEEKEND AND SPILL INTO THE HIGH DESERTS AS WELL.

A WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR LATE FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT FOR THE MOUNTAINS AND HIGH DESERTS. PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS MAY CREATE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES. OVER A FOOT OF SNOW IS LIKELY AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS BY SUNDAY MORNING. THE COMBINATION OF COLD...SNOW...AND WIND COULD BE DEADLY FOR UNPREPARED HIKERS OR CAMPERS IN REMOTE AREAS. TRAVEL IN THE MOUNTAINS WILL LIKELY BECOME EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS AS WELL. IF THE STORM DEVELOPS AS FORECAST...THERE COULD BE PERIODS OF SNOW IN THE HIGHER INLAND VALLEYS...FOOTHILLS...AND HIGH DESERTS...INCLUDING THE CAJON PASS AND THE MORONGO PASS. FOR THE COASTAL AREAS...NUMEROUS SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED WITH CHILLY DAYS. SOME OF THE SHOWERS COULD PRODUCE LOCALLY HEAVY DOWNPOURS OF RAIN AND SMALL HAIL OR ICE PELLETS. THIS TYPE OF SYSTEM OFTEN PRODUCES ISOLATED WATERSPOUTS AS WELL. PRELIMINARY ESTIMATES ARE FOR ONE TO TWO INCHES OF RAIN TO FALL OVER THE COAST AND VALLEYS...WITH LOCALLY GREATER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE ON THE MOUNTAIN FOOTHILLS. LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN ON RECENTLY BURNED AREAS COULD CAUSE MUD AND DEBRIS FLOWS AND LOCAL FLASH FLOODING. ABOVE 4000 FEET...MOST OF THE PRECIPITATION WILL FALL AS SNOW. IF THE STORM CONTINUES TO DEVELOP AS FORECAST...FURTHER STATEMENTS AND WEATHER WATCHES WILL LIKELY BE ISSUED OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS. ANYONE PLANNING TRAVEL OVER SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA THIS WEEKEND...ESPECIALLY THOSE HEADING TO THE MOUNTAINS...SHOULD STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST FORECASTS ON NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE TV OR RADIO STATION.

$$ JAD

Y'ALL GONNA DIE.

A MAJOR LATE WINTER STORM TAKING AIM AT SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA.. A LARGE...COLD AREA OF LOW PRESSURE WILL BE DEVELOPING OVER THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST THIS WEEKEND. A STRONG POLAR JET STREAM WILL DEVELOP OVER THE EAST PACIFIC AS THE STORM DEEPENS...SENDING COLD AND UNSTABLE AIR INTO SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BEGINNING ON FRIDAY.. AND CONTINUING THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT. SHOWERY WEATHER IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP THURSDAY NIGHT OR FRIDAY AS THE FIRST IN A SERIES OF IMPULSES RACES SOUTHEAST AHEAD OF THE STORM. PRECIPITATION IS NOT EXPECTED TO BE HEAVY...BUT SNOW LEVELS COULD FALL AS LOW AS 3500 FEET...WITH STRONG WINDS IN THE MOUNTAINS. A WIND ADVISORY HAS BEEN POSTED FOR MOUNTAIN AND HIGH DESERT AREAS THROUGH FRIDAY MORNING.

A SECOND...STRONGER DISTURBANCE WILL APPROACH THE AREA ON FRIDAY NIGHT AND MOVE THROUGH ON SATURDAY. THIS COULD BE ACCOMPANIED BY HEAVIER RAIN...SNOW AND THUNDERSTORMS...WITH SNOW LEVELS FALLING LOCALLY TO 2000 FEET IN THE HEAVIER CONVECTIVE SHOWERS...AND STRONG WINDS IN THE MOUNTAINS. THE PRECIPITATION SHOULD LINGER INTO SUNDAY AS COLD...MOIST...AND UNSTABLE AIR CONTINUES TO FLOW IN FROM THE WEST. CURRENT INDICATIONS ARE THAT SIGNIFICANT SNOWS WILL FALL IN AREA MOUNTAINS OVER THE WEEKEND AND SPILL INTO THE HIGH DESERTS AS WELL.

A WINTER STORM WATCH HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR LATE FRIDAY MORNING THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT FOR THE MOUNTAINS AND HIGH DESERTS. PERIODS OF HEAVY SNOW AND STRONG AND GUSTY WINDS MAY CREATE BLIZZARD CONDITIONS AT TIMES. OVER A FOOT OF SNOW IS LIKELY AT HIGHER ELEVATIONS BY SUNDAY MORNING. THE COMBINATION OF COLD...SNOW...AND WIND COULD BE DEADLY FOR UNPREPARED HIKERS OR CAMPERS IN REMOTE AREAS. TRAVEL IN THE MOUNTAINS WILL LIKELY BECOME EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS AS WELL. IF THE STORM DEVELOPS AS FORECAST...THERE COULD BE PERIODS OF SNOW IN THE HIGHER INLAND VALLEYS...FOOTHILLS...AND HIGH DESERTS...INCLUDING THE CAJON PASS AND THE MORONGO PASS. FOR THE COASTAL AREAS...NUMEROUS SHOWERS ARE EXPECTED WITH CHILLY DAYS. SOME OF THE SHOWERS COULD PRODUCE LOCALLY HEAVY DOWNPOURS OF RAIN AND SMALL HAIL OR ICE PELLETS. THIS TYPE OF SYSTEM OFTEN PRODUCES ISOLATED WATERSPOUTS AS WELL. PRELIMINARY ESTIMATES ARE FOR ONE TO TWO INCHES OF RAIN TO FALL OVER THE COAST AND VALLEYS...WITH LOCALLY GREATER AMOUNTS POSSIBLE ON THE MOUNTAIN FOOTHILLS. LOCALLY HEAVY RAIN ON RECENTLY BURNED AREAS COULD CAUSE MUD AND DEBRIS FLOWS AND LOCAL FLASH FLOODING. ABOVE 4000 FEET...MOST OF THE PRECIPITATION WILL FALL AS SNOW. IF THE STORM CONTINUES TO DEVELOP AS FORECAST...FURTHER STATEMENTS AND WEATHER WATCHES WILL LIKELY BE ISSUED OVER THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS. ANYONE PLANNING TRAVEL OVER SOUTHWESTERN CALIFORNIA THIS WEEKEND...ESPECIALLY THOSE HEADING TO THE MOUNTAINS...SHOULD STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST FORECASTS ON NOAA WEATHER RADIO OR YOUR FAVORITE TV OR RADIO STATION.

$$ JAD

Patrick,

You would not want to do Basilisk in those conditions. It could be very dangerous given enough rain. Caches in higher ground would be a better bet if no lightning. Also avoid large puddles, as some of the soils out there get mighty slick in the low areas. Traveling in small groups of vehicles is a good idea in case someone gets stuck. I carry my sleeping gear, food, and water with me in case I can't make it back to camp. This promises to be a fun weekend people will be talking about for years to come! B)

Russ

So here's what I'm thinking:

1. Black Beard's Grotto
  2. Indiana Jones: Lost City of Atlantis
  3. Gateway to the Submerged Forest
  4. Yukon Diving
  5. La Cucaracha Rio
  6. The Womb

And if there's still time, we can finish with some of the caches on Sunrise Highway.

Anyone with me?

B)B)B):)

So here's what I'm thinking:

1. Black Beard's Grotto
  2. Indiana Jones: Lost City of Atlantis
  3. Gateway to the Submerged Forest
  4. Yukon Diving
  5. La Cucaracha Rio
  6. The Womb

And if there's still time, we can finish with some of the caches on Sunrise Highway.

Anyone with me?

:):)B)B)

At least the storm might remove some of the local residents of La Cucaracha Rio B)

Y'ALL GONNA DIE.

JAD

Patrick,

You would not want to do Basilisk in those conditions. It could be very dangerous given enough rain. Caches in higher ground would be a better bet if no lightning. Also avoid large puddles, as some of the soils out there get mighty slick in the low areas. Traveling in small groups of vehicles is a good idea in case someone gets stuck. I carry my sleeping gear, food, and water with me in case I can't make it back to camp. This promises to be a fun weekend people will be talking about for years to come! B)

Russ

Say, maybe this is a good time to mention that I've got a fourteen-foot Soar inflatable that I'd be willing to sell at a reasonable price. Comes with two-stroke pump, paddles, and extra seat.

Y'all gonna die ....

Harmon

Patrick, You would not want to do Basilisk in those conditions. It could be very dangerous given enough rain. Caches in higher ground would be a better bet if no lightning. Also avoid large puddles, as some of the soils out there get mighty slick in the low areas. Traveling in small groups of vehicles is a good idea in case someone gets stuck. I carry my sleeping gear, food, and water with me in case I can't make it back to camp. This promises to be a fun weekend people will be talking about for years to come! B) Russ

I went camping in Palm Springs one time when it was super windy. Besides getting sand blasted, the wind broke two poles in my tent and we didn't sleep a wink. I told myself that I'd never put myself through that again. We still talk about that trip and it has been years! B) So I'll probably bail on this weekend if conditions don't look like they are going to improve. Sometimes the weather guys are off the mark. If not, perhaps next week the weather will be better and I can hit those all the cool caches out there! :)

Patrick, You would not want to do Basilisk in those conditions. It could be very dangerous given enough rain. Caches in higher ground would be a better bet if no lightning. Also avoid large puddles, as some of the soils out there get mighty slick in the low areas. Traveling in small groups of vehicles is a good idea in case someone gets stuck. I carry my sleeping gear, food, and water with me in case I can't make it back to camp. This promises to be a fun weekend people will be talking about for years to come! B) Russ

I went camping in Palm Springs one time when it was super windy. Besides getting sand blasted, the wind broke two poles in my tent and we didn't sleep a wink. I told myself that I'd never put myself through that again. We still talk about that trip and it has been years! :) So I'll probably bail on this weekend if conditions don't look like they are going to improve. Sometimes the weather guys are off the mark. If not, perhaps next week the weather will be better and I can hit those all the cool caches out there! B)

I don't think you need to think about the "weather guys"...I just returned from there...and the weather Sucks! Plus with the snow...it's hard to get there or back. B)

Edited by GoBolts!
I've been hitting this site pretty regularly to check out the road conditions. We're monitoring it and we'll go for it around noon - 1....... that is, if all seems well. :wub:

http://cad.chp.ca.gov/

That's a handy site!

ADDITIONAL DETAILS

11:56AM ^CLOSURE S1 WILL BE CLOSED BTWN 79 AND MM 27/5 DUE TO WHITE OUT CONDITIONS FOR THE ENTIRE WEEKEND

11:22AM INFO; CT IS SALTING THE PINE VALLEY BRIDGE NOW

10:57AM PER 71, MONTEZUMA VALLEY RD IS FREE OF SNOW AT THIS TIME

10:51AM 79 AT SUNRISE, HEAVY DOWNPOUR OF SNOW

10:40AM 1039 CORDS LN 29

10:36AM FYI, SUNRISE HWY IS CO ROADS RESP

10:33AM 83; SUNRISE AT MM 16, 1 INCH OF SNOW ACROSS THE ENTIRE RDWY, ALSO WINDY

10:13AM K1; FOR THE WEST END SNOW IS DOWN TO ABOUT 79 JEO , AND FROM 79 TO PINE VALLEY BRIDGE, DENSE FOG WITH VISIBILITY TO 150 FT

9:49AM SNOW IS PRETTY BAD, IF PLOWS CAN NOT KEEP UP, MAY HAVE TO CLOSE THIS PORTION

9:33AM 51; ACTIVATING SNOW DETAIL SO IT WILL BE IN PLACE BY 0800 ON 03/11

9:20AM 52; SUNRISE HWY // CO ROADS DOING GOOD JOB KEEPING UP ON SNOW-FOR TIME BEING OK

7:10AM CT 652-2 1097 PLOWING IT NOW

7:09AM 2 INCHES OF SNOW ON BANNER GRADE-NEED TO BE PLOWED

6:45AM VERY ICY AND VEHS BACKED UP 1/2 MIEL

6:41AM CT CREWS ARE 97 WITH SNOW PLOWS AT CRESTWOOD & PINE VALLEY

6:39AM VEHS USING THE #2 LANE, AND CHUNKS OF SNOW ALSO

6:39AM 61; FROM PINE VALLEY TO BUCKMAN SPRINGS, 1-2 INCHES OF SNOW IN THE #1 LANE

6:36AM SNOW ON SR79 JNO S2 ROADS HAS POSTED "ICY CONDITIONS" SIGN

6:33AM PER STA M 84 HEAVY FOG AND ICY ROADS IN ALPINE

5:56AM 71; ON S22 SNOW DOWN TO MM 9

Edited by TFTC