The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hey San Diego! I don't know if this is the right place to post but here we go,

Just wanted to let you know we had such a blast 2 weeks ago coming out and doing your caches.

This trip was a bit different in the fact that we only picked caches the where along the coast and more changeling!

We did Carlsbad Village Historic Walk very cool! 11wp's OMG but the weather was perfect!

Noah's Ark great location and fun puzzle

La Jolla View this brought back memories when we where kids playing in the La Jolla surf

Don't Look Down again great location!

Above Fletcher Cove

Ponto Troll Hide Out

The Pitcher Plant I loved the views from here!

Sunset Cache

Top O The Stairs this was a funny one the guy that lives in the house right on top of the cache location watched as we signed the cache from his lazy boy chair! lol but awesome view here

CARLSBAD STATE BEACH nice!

We walked down Torry Pines and Black's beach and watched the gliders and had lunch there

we especially liked Greta Garbo's Phone Thanks Tuna!!

and last but not least The Forbidden Forest OMG! this was a cache to remember!

All told we did about 43 caches for the day took about 150 photos and had a blast!

The Dak girls caches where very fun (I love it when you get dirty on a cache!)

We are planing another trip down and a little more inland (la Mesa etc.) this Spring and will more then likely head Mexico to find some too!

Thanks again for a Great Weekend SD!! You Rock!

Matthew Allen aka HaZzMaTt

Hey San Diego! I don't know if this is the right place to post but here we go,

Just wanted to let you know we had such a blast 2 weeks ago coming out and doing your caches.

<snip>

Thanks again for a Great Weekend SD!! You Rock!

Matthew Allen aka HaZzMaTt

Wow Matt, it sounds like you had a visit much better than a few months ago. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

This is the real HaZzMaTt, isn't it? :P

Wow Matt, it sounds like you had a visit much better than a few months ago. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself.

This is the real HaZzMaTt, isn't it?

Yes! after extensive therapy and adjusting my medications

I'm much more accepting of incompetency and ignorance

and YES I do want Fry's with that! Thank You! :P

Hey guys,

I have my brother coming in from Sal Lake City on saturday and we are going to be caching all day, I am looking for some really cool easier caches that really stood out, also we are going to go into mexico to get the multi cache in tiajuana, Just looking for some really cool local caches around san diego, Thanks guys

(DKZ) EL CHORIZO

Hey guys,

I have my brother coming in from Sal Lake City on saturday and we are going to be caching all day, I am looking for some really cool easier caches that really stood out, also we are going to go into mexico to get the multi cache in tiajuana, Just looking for some really cool local caches around san diego, Thanks guys

(DKZ) EL CHORIZO

Check out the caches by Pathfinder & Snoopy. They often have well-cammoed containers in interesting locations. "View From The Top" is up on Mt. Helix where there is a great view.

I would post links, but the site seems to be down right now . . . :P

Hey guys,

(DKZ) EL CHORIZO

Any Dak-Girls cache.

This is the real HaZzMaTt, isn't it?

Yes! after extensive therapy and adjusting my medications

I'm much more accepting of incompetency and ignorance

and YES I do want Fry's with that! Thank You! :P

:P

Yes...it was funny you told us how much our caches sucked...and you DNF'ed on "Beer Root" (GCKMXN)

"November 28, 2005 by HaZzMaTt... (1611 found)

We looked and looked and all we came up with is trash and homeless garb. could see yellow paint on tree @ zero"

I guess you had better stick to lamp posts! :P

I just noticed that there is a thread search capability now so you can find specific topics/items within the huge threads like this one. The search box is on the bottom left. After the results come up, you can jump to a specific post within the thread by clicking on the Post Preview link. This will be very handy.

5e1026ac-de4b-498d-8067-013099d41ec2.jpg

7b9d8a22-7362-4820-b96b-5e79d2cb94db.jpg

:o

Yes...it was funny you told us how much our caches sucked...<snip>

Uh, yea he did say that and it makes his current comments even more significant. I think we can allow the guy some room on his mea culpa and not require him to stand on the corner and whip himself. :ph34r:

Cornerstone4 asked for input on the interest of a "bikedog memorial coin" to raise money for bikedog's daughter. The response was incredible...so C4 paid for and ordered the coins. The coins have been received but only a few orders have been received...nothing like the verbal pre-orders.

Please support bikedog and his family by purchasing the coins that you said you were interested in....or more.

The coins are beautiful and hefty...bikedog memorial coin

And last but not least thanks to all of you who have purchased coins.

PS C4 did not ask me to post this...However, I know that he is worried because the coins are not selling...and he was hoping to raise money for the family.

256806cf-96e1-4ed3-8d78-8275025ab186.jpg

d2cc6112-f9ff-4920-a849-61a3eb0aa268.jpg

Edited by GoBolts!
Uh, yea he did say that and it makes his current comments even more significant. I think we can allow the guy some room on his mea culpa and not require him to stand on the corner and whip himself.

If it's ok with you

I still wouldn't mind whipping myself !

Orange Whip! Orange Whip, Orange Whip! "Three Orange whip's Please!"John Candy from Blues Bros. the Movie
Nekterbrothers, geocaching team from the Czech Republic, are looking for someone near San Diego, for cooperation on International cache - Twin project - ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e8-bd7fc85c9721 )

If you are interested, please contact us here, by email: adam@holmanovi.cz, or use ICQ: 99314015.

ThanX for you time

CU NBrother Adam

Did you ever get the help you needed with this one?

Nekterbrothers, geocaching team from the Czech Republic, are looking for someone near San Diego, for cooperation on International cache - Twin project - ( http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...e8-bd7fc85c9721 )

If you are interested, please contact us here, by email: adam@holmanovi.cz, or use ICQ: 99314015.

ThanX for you time

CU NBrother Adam

Did you ever get the help you needed with this one?

Yep! FlagMan has answered the call! Quite fun, I might add. I would encourage anyone out there who hasn't done it to take care of the local stuff and then solicit assistance from the oversees community so that you can log these caches....

Cornerstone4 asked for input on the interest of a "bikedog memorial coin" to raise money for bikedog's daughter. The response was incredible...so C4 paid for and ordered the coins. The coins have been received but only a few orders have been received...nothing like the verbal pre-orders.

Please support bikedog and his family by purchasing the coins that you said you were interested in....or more.

PS C4 did not ask me to post this...However, I know that he is worried because the coins are not selling...and he was hoping to raise money for the family.

Do you have any I can buy directly; I don't care to register with the website. I'll take three if you have them, one of each color.

Do you have any I can buy directly; I don't care to register with the website. I'll take three if you have them, one of each color.

I feel the same way (about the web site) - I'd like to buy one just to support the family. I believe only the one in the middle (?) is actually for sale though.

Edited by TFTC

I feel the same way (about the web site) - I'd like to buy one just to support the family. I believe only the one on the right (?) is actually for sale though.

But don't quote me on that! :huh:

Edited by TFTC

It's the copper one on the right that is for sale. From Conerstone4's original post:

"Editing to add this info: The coin on the left was a gift from the manufacturer. They made 5 extra coins with Jerry's name instead of a tracking number. The middle coin is an antique silver finish, and there were only 10 made. The copper one is the one that is for sale."

I registered on the website so I could buy a few of the coins, but I never got a confirmation e-mail, so I can't log on to buy them. Gurrrr

Edit: I finally got activated via manual e-mail with the site owner. I ordered 3 coins: 1 to keep, 1 to give away as swag in the Bikedog Memorial Cache and 1 to send out and track. RM

Edited by RocketMan

:laughing:

Yes...it was funny you told us how much our caches sucked...<snip>

Uh, yea he did say that and it makes his current comments even more significant. I think we can allow the guy some room on his mea culpa and not require him to stand on the corner and whip himself. :D

I agree. But it would be fun to have him stand on a few corners in Escondido and do some Compromising Positions!* :laughing:

*When the cache is active. This one seems to muggled more than most.....

Pilots will tell you that the three most useless things in the world are:

• The altitude above you.
  • The runway behind you.
  • The air in your fuel tank.

To this list, I can add a geocacher item...

The cache you find, but can't log.

Ms. LLOT and I went out to find King Geepius's lost cache box (GCD569) and on the way back, we stopped at Tooth Rock. While there, we spotted an ammo can in a place where we didn't expect to find one. At first, we thought it might be a peak log but when we pulled it out, it said "Geocache" on the side. Inside was some swag, a log book and the standard "Congratulations! You've found it..." paper. It claimed to be the "Tooth Rock Cache" placed 21Jan2006. We weren't even the first to sign the log :) . Someone else had found it earlier in the day so we were only "STF". :P Even so, we were kind of jazzed to be getting an unexpected extra smiley.

The only problem is that this cache doesn't exist -- at least as far as geocaching.com is concerned. My guess is that someone placed the cache up there only to have it rejected due to it being too close to King Geepius (it would be considerably less than 0.1 mi.) . Then they never bothered to retrieve it.

Anyone know anything about this mystery cache?

Pilots will tell you that the three most useless things in the world are:

• The altitude above you.
  • The runway behind you.
  • The air in your fuel tank.

To this list, I can add a geocacher item...

The cache you find, but can't log.

Ms. LLOT and I went out to find King Geepius's lost cache box (GCD569) and on the way back, we stopped at Tooth Rock. While there, we spotted an ammo can in a place where we didn't expect to find one. At first, we thought it might be a peak log but when we pulled it out, it said "Geocache" on the side. Inside was some swag, a log book and the standard "Congratulations! You've found it..." paper. It claimed to be the "Tooth Rock Cache" placed 21Jan2006. We weren't even the first to sign the log :) . Someone else had found it earlier in the day so we were only "STF". :P Even so, we were kind of jazzed to be getting an unexpected extra smiley.

The only problem is that this cache doesn't exist -- at least as far as geocaching.com is concerned. My guess is that someone placed the cache up there only to have it rejected due to it being too close to King Geepius (it would be considerably less than 0.1 mi.) . Then they never bothered to retrieve it.

Anyone know anything about this mystery cache?

Maybe its a Terracache?? Or listed on the Waymarking site?? I'm sure it would have come up on my notifications if it had been listed, and I'm also sure I would have paid some attention to it since King Geepius-Tooth Rock is one of my all-time favorites...

Maybe its a Terracache?? Or listed on the Waymarking site?? I'm sure it would have come up on my notifications if it had been listed, and I'm also sure I would have paid some attention to it since King Geepius-Tooth Rock is one of my all-time favorites...

I've considered the Terracache possibility but I don't know of a Terracache there (but then again I'm not a member -- I can't even keep with all the new caches on geocaching.com... :P ) The "Congratulations" sheet refers to geocaching.com but you are correct, it does not appear to have ever been listed. (Since it's right on the edge of my currently cleared area, I definitely would have noticed it... :) )

I've considered the Terracache possibility but I don't know of a Terracache there (but then again I'm not a member -- I can't even keep with all the new caches on geocaching.com... :P ) The "Congratulations" sheet refers to geocaching.com but you are correct, it does not appear to have ever been listed. (Since it's right on the edge of my currently cleared area, I definitely would have noticed it... :) )

I've also heard that some people hide caches but don't list them right away.....

So consider yourself a beta tester whenever it does get listed! :)

WestcoastAdmin says this was a cache that was rejected in January due to proximity with King Geepius. I guess the cache owner never retrieved it....

WestcoastAdmin says this was a cache that was rejected in January due to proximity with King Geepius. I guess the cache owner never retrieved it....

That's pretty much what I figured. Thanks very much for checking on it. :P

Perhaps there's a Cache Kharma project in the making here. There's room for more caches in this area and there's a lonely ammo can with swag that's just sitting there... :)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
I've also heard that some people hide caches but don't list them right away.....

And sometimes they forget where they put them...something that we can all be grateful for! :):P:)

Actually I think there are two more Nuisance bombs that I planted but never got round to activating. Of course I've lost the coords since, so no biggie.

Oh....I know where they are.....within about 200 ft or so. 'Course....that's gonna rankle even the most ardent cacher if my accuracy is off by that much. Next time I feel like abusing myself by hiking/clearing out for the bazillionth time MTRP, I'll be sure to get those coords again. But in the meantime if someone stumbles across an unlogged ammo can and/or a 3 x 6 tupperware somewhere in the vicinity between the bridge at TierraSanta and Cowles Moutnain with the words TT's MTRP Nuisance Cache on it. Feel free to log it and let me know the exact coords.

Till then.... :)

--TT--

We only have the copper ones available. The bronze finish was a limited 5 pc. run, and the antique silver only had 10 coins made. We sold two on ebay, and gave 4 to the family..,so far.

I didn't plan ahead enough to make this process easier for everyone that isn't into the coin collecting thing, and I apologize for that.

If you still want to purchase some, send me an email. I can either invoice you, give you my paypal address, or give you an address to send a check to.

For those that need activation codes, and don't want to register with the geocoinclub, please send me an email with your tracking numbers. I will match them to activation codes, and then send you the codes ASAP.

Thanks again for all of your support.

Thanks also to John & Jess for brining the coins down to PT's going away party!

Either Passing Wind, or GoBolts! will have some at this weekends campout as well.

Dave

I was sorely tempted to post the following photo to the San Diego Cache Critters Thread as "Blue-Bellied Gecko seen near Travellers Cache (GCJ8ZQ)"

f4041456-e9ed-40cb-94c7-7262d9cfdc09.jpg

But in deference to the desire to keep that thread free of Jackalopes and such, I've posted it here instead.

This picture (along with many others) came from a disposable camera that ErikFox left in Travellers Cache. It's been out of film sine New Years day, so I grabbed it, had the film processed and posted the photos on the cache page. There's quite few familiar faces including Flagman (and Max), D-Jollymon, Fisnjack and TT. (I probably should recognize more of the faces but that's one thing I'm lousy at :anicute: (sorry).

This picture (along with many others) came from a disposable camera that ErikFox left in Travellers Cache. It's been out of film sine New Years day, so I grabbed it, had the film processed and posted the photos on the cache page. There's quite few familiar faces including Flagman (and Max), D-Jollymon, Fisnjack and TT. (I probably should recognize more of the faces but that's one thing I'm lousy at :) (sorry).

#13 is zatyko, and of the two for mmcgr, the second one is him and the lady is minnie, IIRC. Didn't recognize any others you didn't have names for, but I'm sure the crew here can identify the rest...

This picture (along with many others) came from a disposable camera that ErikFox left in Travellers Cache. It's been out of film sine New Years day, so I grabbed it, had the film processed and posted the photos on the cache page. There's quite few familiar faces including Flagman (and Max), D-Jollymon, Fisnjack and TT. (I probably should recognize more of the faces but that's one thing I'm lousy at :laughing: (sorry).

#13 is zatyko, and of the two for mmcgr, the second one is him and the lady is minnie, IIRC. Didn't recognize any others you didn't have names for, but I'm sure the crew here can identify the rest...

Thanks to all who've responded, I've been adding to the list of identified photos. It's been an interesting little project and I hope that I can fill in all the names eventually.

Hello all,

I have a question for local cachers, I have a miltary based travel bug that has been moving around that I brought back from utah with me, but wanted to place it in a miltary based cache, and I figured san diego should have quite a few of those, so if anybody knows any good military cachces please let me know thanks :P

Check out the logs for this cache HERE.Start reading a few logs before Redrox' entry....

Glad we did this one before it turned into an outhouse.

Here's th' "poop" on another Geocaching fecal-matter incident. Many of you are familiar with the Sandy Creek Cowboy cache named "La Fantasma de Los Cruces." Once upon a time a bicycling time trial was held along Old 80 near the cache location. A few days later a finder's log-entry was posted saying that some fine person had used the cache hidey hole to relieve themself. Yep, right down the hole onto the top of the container.

Us ol' cowboys decided to wait a while for things to dry up before we dropped by the old Buckman Hotel ruin to clean things up. While we were waiting FishnJack showed up to score a find and actually cleaned up the mess in the process.

Now FishnJack and Roxanne are firmly fixed in my Geocaching memories. Way to go you two.

By the way, if you aren't familiar with "La Fantasma de Los Cruces" then shame on you.

Note: Apparently the "Gross Page" is back.

Edited by SD Rowdies