The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Duganrm, if you're willing to play navigator I could definitely use one. I pick up the car at 9:00 AM Sunday. Although it looks like you've already hit many of the caches I'd like to... are there any that you have on your list that you're just waiting for someone to tag along with? I don't mind hiking a few miles or going underground, and snakes don't bother me. And if there's a nice view I'm there. Having never been to the desert, perhaps there are some there I should shoot for?

I think Forbidden Forest looks really cool, and would love to do that as a group hunt one of the nights I'm there. Some of the puzzle caches look really neat too (ie Local Treasure) but I'm not sure I'll be able to crack them with the limited time I have available.

I am not worried about if I have already done the cache or not (already started making plans to return to where I went last weekend). I do it more to get out of the house. There are only a few caches in San Diego that I don't plan on doing. Since you are only in town for a short period, I would rather hit the ones that interest you. I am slowly working on all the different puzzles around the county if there are ones of those that you are interested in.

Forbidden Forest isn't far from where I work so I plan to come watch (and maybe laugh) at you guys while you do it. :smile:

Duganrm, if you're willing to play navigator I could definitely use one. I pick up the car at 9:00 AM Sunday. Although it looks like you've already hit many of the caches I'd like to... are there any that you have on your list that you're just waiting for someone to tag along with? I don't mind hiking a few miles or going underground, and snakes don't bother me. And if there's a nice view I'm there. Having never been to the desert, perhaps there are some there I should shoot for?

I think Forbidden Forest looks really cool, and would love to do that as a group hunt one of the nights I'm there. Some of the puzzle caches look really neat too (ie Local Treasure) but I'm not sure I'll be able to crack them with the limited time I have available.

I am not worried about if I have already done the cache or not (already started making plans to return to where I went last weekend). I do it more to get out of the house. There are only a few caches in San Diego that I don't plan on doing. Since you are only in town for a short period, I would rather hit the ones that interest you. I am slowly working on all the different puzzles around the county if there are ones of those that you are interested in.

Forbidden Forest isn't far from where I work so I plan to come watch (and maybe laugh) at you guys while you do it. :smile:

might want to solve "The MiddleFinger" if you are heading to the forest...really simple puzzle if you are a computer nut. La Jolla area might just be the place to cache. great view and quite a few caches.

Was anyone in the Clevenger Canyon area yesterday afternoon? I was zooming through on my way back from the desert at around 4.30pm and there was a rescue going on at one of the trailheads (Clevenger Cyn north trails I think) - firemen and lots of rubberneckers. Hope it was nothing serious, I can't find anything about it in the news...

The 78 wasn't a very good stretch of road to be on yesterday. There was a speed trap setup in the morning (at least 5 police cars) and then it was closed down near the Wild Animal Park last night when I was trying to come home from the Temecula event. Usually the North County Times will have info on things like this but they are slow to update.

might want to solve "The MiddleFinger" if you are heading to the forest...really simple puzzle if you are a computer nut. La Jolla area might just be the place to cache. great view and quite a few caches.

that's a cool puzzle! being a computer geek I figured it out in 3 minutes, but I love the idea. Might have to steal that for use back here. :smile: Definitely one to grab if I make it to the Forbidden Forest.

I see the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches appear to be pretty popular, can they be reached with a cheap rental car?

that's a cool puzzle! being a computer geek I figured it out in 3 minutes, but I love the idea. Might have to steal that for use back here. :smile: Definitely one to grab if I make it to the Forbidden Forest.

I see the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches appear to be pretty popular, can they be reached with a cheap rental car?

Several of the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches are located on a well-graded dirt road that passenger cars have little or no trouble with. Other cowboy caches are along a paved section of Old Highway 80. Only worry is if there's a really heavy rain coming down in buckets.

You'll find the cowboy caches a bit unusual 'cause some ol' cowpokes that have spent a lot of time in prisons contrived them.

Harmon

Don't forget to pack your 15' ladder so you can do #3. ;)

I might have trouble getting that past airline security :blink: Hmmm... Maybe I could toss a chair from the hotel room in the trunk of the rental car, put it on the car's roof when I get there and stand on that... :blink:

;) That might be a tad unstable . . . and you could fall. :blink: Harmon knows all about falling from dangerous heights. He might caution against such a setup . . . :blink:

Oh yeah, that little thang.

66c920aa-46fe-43b5-bf9b-bf781dfff5cb.jpg

In my case the ladder was ... uh ... twenty ... no, umm ... twenty-four feet tall ... you know, more or less. Here's a tip, don't let them run the cast out under your toes. Drives you nuts 'cause y' can't wiggle 'em down as well as up. Also, the casts come in bold colors as you can see. I had purple, red, blue, yellow and a black robo-boot.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Wish you nothing but sunny skies when you get here!

Say, we have a couple of highly-qualified San Diego Geocachers that are really good at finding storm-drain caches during rain storms. Maybe you want to hook up with them? That would keep rain from falling on you.

Ha ha ha... you been reading my profile? :blink: I've definitely learned my lesson about storm drains in the rain. The log part 1 and the log part 2

By the way, Passing Wind actually profited from his storm-drain adventure. His hydraulic escapade earned him a spot in the Yrium Memorial Series collector card lineup.

444289e1-e1ba-4c2f-93f3-4c6accce2693.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Don't forget to pack your 15' ladder so you can do #3. :blink:

Bwah-hah-hah-hahhh!

DocDiTTo,

Trust me.....you don't NEED a ladder. If you don't mind standing and beating up the ol' rental car (and honestly, isn't that what they are there for) then you can get this one. The Cowboys say that you need a ladder. And it's probably safer to do it that way.

Less manly. But safer.

:blink:

--TT--

Don't forget to pack your 15' ladder so you can do #3. :blink:

Bwah-hah-hah-hahhh!

DocDiTTo,

Trust me.....you don't NEED a ladder. If you don't mind standing and beating up the ol' rental car (and honestly, isn't that what they are there for) then you can get this one. The Cowboys say that you need a ladder. And it's probably safer to do it that way.

Less manly. But safer.

:blink:

--TT--

...and this is a man that shattered his elbow in 17 places that is giving advice: TT aka Black Knight ;)

9fcfbef8-a7fa-47cf-8cb9-691e88d92d43.jpg

Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you.

DR. BOGGIS: Well, I am King!

DAN-OH: Oh, King, eh, very nice. And how d'you get that, eh? By exploiting the workers! By 'anging on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever going to be any progress with the--

SNAKE: Dan-Oh, there's a lovely cache down here.

You guys can borrow my 12' folding ladder. 15' is recommended, but I reached the loot with the 12 footer.

791d28ea-bf82-4d73-bcda-aff17e001ef5.jpg

FlagMan scoring it. After that a really high wind blew the hide away. Now the new hidey hole is actually easier to reach.

Of course there are other more daring approaches.

2e64d2fe-58e4-4de5-9898-15c5456909e2.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Don't forget to pack your 15' ladder so you can do #3. :P

Bwah-hah-hah-hahhh!

DocDiTTo,

Trust me.....you don't NEED a ladder. If you don't mind standing and beating up the ol' rental car (and honestly, isn't that what they are there for) then you can get this one. The Cowboys say that you need a ladder. And it's probably safer to do it that way. Less manly. But safer. :P

--TT--

...and this is a man that shattered his elbow in 17 places that is giving advice: TT aka Black Knight :P

790fbe51-7e3c-4a04-9ecd-58b40fa04598.jpg

You guys can borrow my 12' folding ladder. 15' is recommended, but I reached the loot with the 12 footer.

791d28ea-bf82-4d73-bcda-aff17e001ef5.jpg

FlagMan scoring it. After that a really high wind blew the hide away. Now the new hidey hole is actually easier to reach.

Of course there are other more daring approaches.

2e64d2fe-58e4-4de5-9898-15c5456909e2.jpg

Oh, I was thinking up a light post or a tree... didn't consider that. We don't usually have that kind of cool stuff to cache near around here. hmmm.... I'll have to think that one over a bit.... might be a way. I'm just nuts enough to try it, anyway.

And before I forget.... anyone want to team up on the Forbidden Forest? Doesn't have to be Sunday night, but it can be. I'll only have a vehicle on Sunday though. Of course, I'll happily hitch a ride with any stranger willing to walk into the deep, dark woods with me at night. :P:P:P

Doc, I know Team Fatman has been wanting to visit the Forbidden Forest. He'll be at the campout, but should be available that following week. I think he told me he had a day off that week.

I am able and willing to drive you down there and back, but I can't stay long. There are several other caches in the area you may want to visit; maybe someone else can step in and offer you a ride back to the hotel.

Doc, I know Team Fatman has been wanting to visit the Forbidden Forest. He'll be at the campout, but should be available that following week. I think he told me he had a day off that week.

I am able and willing to drive you down there and back, but I can't stay long. There are several other caches in the area you may want to visit; maybe someone else can step in and offer you a ride back to the hotel.

thanks! I'm going to send out an email with my mobile phone number to you and some of the others I've chatted with on here, it will make finalizing plans easier. I know how stuff changes at the last minute sometimes, so that should make it easier on everyone. And feel free to give my number to anyone you know, I'm up for caching pretty much any evening and I have a lot of free time on Wednesday afternoon/night. One thing I would like to do is hit my 500th cache while I'm out there. Only 38 to go, and I'll probably pick up a few more around here before then so that should definitely be possible. :P

thanks! I'm going to send out an email with my mobile phone number to you and some of the others I've chatted with on here, it will make finalizing plans easier. I know how stuff changes at the last minute sometimes, so that should make it easier on everyone. And feel free to give my number to anyone you know, I'm up for caching pretty much any evening and I have a lot of free time on Wednesday afternoon/night. One thing I would like to do is hit my 500th cache while I'm out there. Only 38 to go, and I'll probably pick up a few more around here before then so that should definitely be possible. :P

Dude...I will go out with you...let me know your schedule...I recomend all of the "Dak-Girls" caches.

I still need to do some of them.

Dude...I will go out with you...let me know your schedule...I recomend all of the "Dak-Girls" caches.

Thanks!

I get in about 6:30 Saturday night (Mar. 11th), not sure if I'll be up for much caching though, as it would be 9:30 "my" time, and after spending 9 hours in planes and airports I'll probably be tired and starving. I might hit a few downtown caches though, depends on how I feel.

Sunday I have a rental car scheduled, so I'm planning to spend the whole day caching. If one of you guys has a more suitable cache-mobile and doesn't mind driving, I'll cancel the rental and pay for your gas instead. (Running around the desert in a Ford Focus just seems wrong on so many levels).

I know a lot of locals will be at the cacher campout Sunday, but DuganRM mentioned he might be interested in running around with me then. And if someone else wants to go, all the more fun in my opinion.

Monday and Tuesday I have meetings most of the day until about 5:00, but I'll be ready for more caching after that (and maybe a quick bite to eat). Wednesday morning duty calls, but I get out of meetings around noon and intend to spend the rest of the day caching. I'd like to hit some of the caches in the southwestern part of the state then. Thursday AM I fly back home.

I'll email my cell phone number to you, Chuy, Duganrm, and Jahoadi and John so we can get in touch when I get out there.

I'd LOVE to hit some of the DAK Girls caches; they look absolutely great. In a perfect world I think I'd make Forbidden Forest my 500th find, but who knows how it'll all work out. I'm definitely looking forward to this trip.

...and this is a man that shattered his elbow in 17 places that is giving advice: TT aka Black Knight

Pat,

Let's be fair. It was ONLY 15 pieces. 14 of which have healed up nicely with one floater still hanging around in my triceps somewhere.

And it was a little more than a "flesh wound"

(oh you know it's time for a token re-appearance of your fav photo) :anibad: <barf mode>

http://img.Groundspeak.com/user/aac1496d-8...53b10be4a93.jpg

</barf mode>

BTW...Saw "Spamalot" on Broadway last month. Very very funny! Must see if you're a Python fanatic!

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen

Sweet...I will be at the camp-out but would love to go/take you during the week.

Thanks!

I get in about 6:30 Saturday night (Mar. 11th), not sure if I'll be up for much caching though, as it would be 9:30 "my" time, and after spending 9 hours in planes and airports I'll probably be tired and starving. I might hit a few downtown caches though, depends on how I feel.

Sunday I have a rental car scheduled, so I'm planning to spend the whole day caching. If one of you guys has a more suitable cache-mobile and doesn't mind driving, I'll cancel the rental and pay for your gas instead. (Running around the desert in a Ford Focus just seems wrong on so many levels).

I know a lot of locals will be at the cacher campout Sunday, but DuganRM mentioned he might be interested in running around with me then. And if someone else wants to go, all the more fun in my opinion.

Monday and Tuesday I have meetings most of the day until about 5:00, but I'll be ready for more caching after that (and maybe a quick bite to eat). Wednesday morning duty calls, but I get out of meetings around noon and intend to spend the rest of the day caching. I'd like to hit some of the caches in the southwestern part of the state then. Thursday AM I fly back home.

I'll email my cell phone number to you, Chuy, Duganrm, and Jahoadi and John so we can get in touch when I get out there.

I'd LOVE to hit some of the DAK Girls caches; they look absolutely great. In a perfect world I think I'd make Forbidden Forest my 500th find, but who knows how it'll all work out. I'm definitely looking forward to this trip.

...and this is a man that shattered his elbow in 17 places that is giving advice: TT aka Black Knight

Pat,

Let's be fair. It was ONLY 15 pieces. 14 of which have healed up nicely with one floater still hanging around in my triceps somewhere.

(oh you know it's time for a token re-appearance of your fav photo) B)

Bloody hell Jeff, I know there's a time difference to remember, but I've only just got back from lunch!!

:anibad:

Pat,

(oh you know it's time for a token re-appearance of your fav photo) :anibad:

Bloody hell Jeff, I know there's a time difference to remember, but I've only just got back from lunch!!

B)

Jeff that's FG!

Pat,

(oh you know it's time for a token re-appearance of your fav photo) :anibad:

--snip the barf mode --

BTW...Saw "Spamalot" on Broadway last month. Very very funny! Must see if you're a Python fanatic!

--TT--

How long did it take to cache after that? wow..

I had to change my day off to next tuesday, but I can meet you both on wed. to do the forbidden forest. I work in encinitas so I can be there by 5. :anibad:

Pat,

(oh you know it's time for a token re-appearance of your fav photo) :rolleyes: <barf mode>

aac1496d-8912-44e5-b75e-853b10be4a93.jpg

</barf mode>

--TT--

Oh boy that reminds of when I was about 9 mor 10 and my Mom worked for a veterinarian. They would do all their surgery at night and I would get to watch. Sometimes staying up until 1 or 2 in the Morning, lots of neat stuff :anibad:B):anibad::)

Umm...let's see.

PJ Mon's Rainforest Cache found: 1/23/2005

Arm Broken 1/23/2005.

Surgery 1/23/2005 (propofol is some good shi.......)

Discharged 1/25/2005

Next cache found: 1/29/2005

So about six days out of commission.

OK...I've torqued Pat enough. I'll remove the photo. :anibad:

--TT--

Umm...let's see.

PJ Mon's Rainforest Cache found: 1/23/2005

Arm Broken 1/23/2005.

Surgery 1/23/2005 (propofol is some good shi.......)

Discharged 1/25/2005

Next cache found: 1/29/2005

So about six days out of commission.

OK...I've torqued Pat enough. I'll remove the photo. B)

--TT--

Actually Jeff, it's gross but it's also cool at the same time. The more I looked at it, the more I got used to it. It's just that first glance that really gets you. It's actually very impressive with what surgeon's can do!

"We can rebuild him, make him better than he was before." :anibad:

Edited by TrailGators

I received my Bike Dog coin today. I'm impressed with final results. It is one hefty smashed penny! I'm just curious, how do I activate the coin to turn it into a travel bug? I went to the travel bug activate screen but I don't have an activation code. Am I going to the right place?

Pat,

(oh you know it's time for a token re-appearance of your fav photo) :D <barf mode>

</barf mode>

--TT--

Oh boy that reminds of when I was about 9 mor 10 and my Mom worked for a veterinarian. They would do all their surgery at night and I would get to watch. Sometimes staying up until 1 or 2 in the Morning, lots of neat stuff :):):)<_<

Meatloaf again?

I received my Bike Dog coin today. I'm impressed with final results. It is one hefty smashed penny! I'm just curious, how do I activate the coin to turn it into a travel bug? I went to the travel bug activate screen but I don't have an activation code. Am I going to the right place?

I usually don't like to quote my own posts here but I have two reasons to do so. One, the answer I needed was provided by Conerstone 4 and I thought someone else might benefit from it, the other was to try and get the page to bump over to the next number so we wouldn't have to look at gross TT elbow images.

so...the answer to my question is. Go to the GeoCoin club page and fill out the information. Simple. ;)

I wish people would stop quoting that TT post so I wouldn't have to look at that awful picture anymore. I can't wait for this page to roll over. I hope none of you wiseacres quote that post when the new page comes up! RM

*Totally* agree with you there. No more. ;)

Next the pictures of somebodies bum will re-surface. ;)

Pat,

(oh you know it's time for a token re-appearance of your fav photo) :D <barf mode>

</barf mode>

--TT--

Oh boy that reminds of when I was about 9 mor 10 and my Mom worked for a veterinarian. They would do all their surgery at night and I would get to watch. Sometimes staying up until 1 or 2 in the Morning, lots of neat stuff :):P;);)

Meatloaf again?

Not sure why, but always thought they used screws, not wire. Oh, BTW Jeff, you got way too much fat in that elbow. Better start doing some curls. :):D