The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Well I now have the 60 CSX in hand the Mapsource topo downloaded to the PC no prob.  But the city select V 7.0 turns out to be some sort of a special dvd that my pc doesn't recognize.  Garmin is sending me a second disc to try.  Meanwhile I'm waiting for Clyde to come up with the patch for GSAK so I can load multiple caches.  Sure got spoiled, since right now I have to hand punch in each co-ord.

City Navigator is on DVD.....Is City Select now on DVD too?

YEP

Well I now have the 60 CSX in hand the Mapsource topo downloaded to the PC no prob.  But the city select V 7.0 turns out to be some sort of a special dvd that my pc doesn't recognize.  Garmin is sending me a second disc to try.  Meanwhile I'm waiting for Clyde to come up with the patch for GSAK so I can load multiple caches.  Sure got spoiled, since right now I have to hand punch in each co-ord.

YEP

So what's the difference between the two?

I know Navigator has larger map segments.....

Edited by TrailGators

YEP

I know Navigator has larger map clusters.....

I think that's it. It's funny because on the CN page, Garmin says:

"Version 7 now includes larger map segments for easier map selection and downloading — so there's less chance you'll miss an area when planning your next trip!"

When they should say: Version 7 screws all of the Garmin low memory GPS owners over so they will have to upgrade to the new units with the expandable memory!

YEP

I know Navigator has larger map clusters.....

I think that's it. It's funny because on the CN page, Garmin says:

"Version 7 now includes larger map segments for easier map selection and downloading — so there's less chance you'll miss an area when planning your next trip!"

When they should say: Version 7 screws all of the Garmin low memory GPS owners over so they will have to upgrade to the new units with the expandable memory!

How large are the segments?

I'm seriously thinking about getting an iQue next time...The IQue has a larger color screen and does all the paperless stuff in one unit!

Well I now have the 60 CSX in hand the Mapsource topo downloaded to the PC no prob.  But the city select V 7.0 turns out to be some sort of a special dvd that my pc doesn't recognize.  Garmin is sending me a second disc to try.

Yep, the v7 City Select NA I got last October was on DVD.

You should be able to send your GSAK query to MapSource first, and then download from MapSource to your GPSr until Clyde can fix it. It would be easier than punching them in by hand :lol:

That's what I do with my Street Pilot 2610. GSAK doesn't like this GPSr, for some bizarre reason. GSAK is the only software that I have that'll download waypoints to the 60CS and not to the 2610! :wacko:

But it doesn't really matter since it takes only 10 seconds more to have GSAK export to MapSource (and launch it) and then download from MapSource. It's so easy that, frankly, I don't care whether GSAK ever talks directly to the 2610. :lol:

I have both.  In California the segments are similar.  I haven't looked around, but folks on the east coast complain there is a drastic difference out there.

Which version of CN do you have. I have been told that the segment size was increased drastically in V7. RM

City Nav 7 has much larger segments than City Nav 6. It's now much harder to juggle them to maximize the area contained in my 60CS.

Even so, it's not that big a deal. I can still load all of San Diego and Los Angeles at once. Or I can load the entire state of Colorado with room to spare... (That's on the 60CS. On the 2610, I have a mongo CF card. Segment size is irrelevant when you can load the whole country.)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

I know Navigator has larger map segments.....

This is an amazingly hard peice of information to get. Given the high price differential, you'd think that Garmin would highlight what the differences are. But it seems like they go out of their way to hide this difference... :wacko:

For the most part, both City Select and City Nav have the same basic map data.

The main difference is that City Navigator has a higher amount of supplementary information for each route segment and point of interest (POI). Theoretically, it can use this information to generate higher quality routes (especially if you have a vehicle where route differences are important -- like bicycles and tractor-trailers.)

BTW, go to Gilsson Technologies and browse around. They have all sorts of information that you won't find on the Garmin (and presumably Magellan) webpages. (It's where I got the scoop on City Nav and City Select.)

Well I now have the 60 CSX in hand the Mapsource topo downloaded to the PC no prob.  But the city select V 7.0 turns out to be some sort of a special dvd that my pc doesn't recognize.  Garmin is sending me a second disc to try.

Yep, the v7 City Select NA I got last October was on DVD.

I have v6 of both.

My wife uses a 2610 for work; I use the 60CS.

I'm thinking of getting the v7 upgrade for $50 to use on both.

I had no issues with incompatibility when installing Mapsource v7 on dvd. The segment sizes appear to be the same size as earlier versions as well. I looks like Garmin may be going the way of factory installing the whole North America maps, so segment size won't be an issue. The Quest II has them pre-installed. It is a car Gps that will go portable for Geocaching limited by the rechargable batteries run time. With removable batteries it would be sweet. I used a Quest I for about 5 months with good results. It came with the maps on dvd, so had to install map segments up to the 115mb capacity. The batteries last all day, but not for 2 days. I lost the unit on Paloverde Peak somewhere. ;) I may just replace it with another Quest I for around $350.00 with Mapsource 7 included. The CX would be near $600.00 with maps. Pretty expensive for somthing that is subject to much abuse and chance of loss!

Quite an update to the Forum. Lots of new things to explore.

Wow, you can toggle multiple quotes. I'm glad Search and My Assistant are back online.

Who is this Marko Ramius that' been approving our new caches?

Nice card Flagman and company.

Edited by Chuy

Who is this Marko Ramius that' been approving our new caches?

Mark Ramius is a Capt. in the Soviet Navy, played by Sean Connery in The Hunt for Red October.

Now retired from the Soviet Navy he work for Groundspeak.

Nick

Looks like it is just a new account setup to approve caches. I noticed a couple in my area that got approved by him this afternoon.

Where's the avators?

Anyhoo, I've bought the motor home and turned in the retirement letter (woo!! woo!! NO MORE WORK!!!!!!! :D:D:lol: ) and plan to hit the road March 8.

I've 18 caches in and about SD county that need adopted. Any takers?

WOW!! Congratulations!! You will be back to visit us in SD right ?

BTW.....Nice Motor Home :D

kmh.jpg

Where's the avators?

Anyhoo, I've bought the motor home and turned in the retirement letter (woo!! woo!! NO MORE WORK!!!!!!! :D:D:D ) and plan to hit the road March 8.

Sounds like we need a Bon Voyage event cache for this! :lol:

I'll be spending winter months in AZ and summer months on the Oregon coast with some traveling in the south and north west in between, definitely to include SD to visit my geocaching friends... at least that's my plans this week (my plans are like jello though :D but I kinda like that :D )

Of course, my motor home doesn't have that cool back porch like PWs model.

Richard, thanks for the offer.

Where's the avators?

Anyhoo, I've bought the motor home and turned in the retirement letter (woo!! woo!! NO MORE WORK!!!!!!! :D:D:D ) and plan to hit the road March 8.

I would like "Where Do You Call Home?"...I was co-STF with Duncan! The FTF guy is on the east coast. That cache cost me a pair of shorts.

Sorry to see you go...but happy retirement!

Dave and Sumrall

PS Any other caches that are unclaimed I will also take.

Edited by GoBolts!

Misdirection: Bridge View GCR3Q6)

Cattail View (GCQM4K)

Above Dishwasher Pond (GCQM4E)

Stop On A Path GCQM4G)

princess toadstool's Birthday (GCQH9P) Chuy

Midsummer Night Cache (GCPDTE)

Not Again (aka the Sandwich Cache) (GCP9V3)

Kramer's Hole-In-One (GCP4VV)

Instant Cash (GCNWPR) - co-hide with Miragee - maybe Miragee should have 1st dibs.

Leave A Message (GCNJBT)

Tired of Waiting (GCNJBP)

Where Do You Call Home? (GCNA2N) - Gobolts

Time Out (GCN134)

TT's MTRP Nuisance Cache #2: Red Queen Principles

Duck Blind by princess toadstool (GCMAN3)

TT's MTRP Nuisance Cache #1 (GCM10F) Duganrm - but he must find it first!

Here are her active caches.

Claim them while you can.

Copy and paste the list with your choice.

Princess Toastool will have final say.

I'd like Princess Toadstool's Birthday cache since I was FTF.

You better not leave without saying "C ya later"!

Edited by Chuy

Cattail View (GCQM4K)

Stop On A Path GCQM4G)

Instant Cash (GCNWPR) - co-hide with Miragee - maybe Miragee should have 1st dibs.

Leave A Message (GCNJBT)

Time Out (GCN134)

Here are her active caches; claim them while you can. copy and paste the list with your choice.

I'd like Princess Toadstool's Birthday cache since I was FTF.

Leave A Message (GCNJBT)

Misdirection: Bridge View GCR3Q6) - TrailGators

Cattail View (GCQM4K)

Stop On A Path GCQM4G)

Leave A Message (GCNJBT) - TrailGators

Time Out (GCN134)

UPDATED

Dang you guys are ORGANIZED!! I'm impressed.

GoBolts! definitely gets Where Do You Call Home as losing a pair of shorts certainly rates adoption rights :D

So far I'm in agreement with the rest of the list, Chuy.

By the way. can anyone tell me what I need to do to put the caches up for adoption? :D

So GoBolts! found that one in his underwear? :D

Edited by TrailGators

I'll be spending winter months in AZ and summer months on the Oregon coast with some traveling in the south and north west in between, definitely to include SD to visit my geocaching friends... at least that's my plans this week (my plans are like jello though :D but I kinda like that :D )

Of course, my motor home doesn't have that cool back porch like PWs model.

Richard, thanks for the offer.

:lol: I'm soooo jealous! You might say I'm green with envy! :D (ok, ok. Bad joke.)

You'll be doing what we've been wanting to do. I can't retire for, what, 12 years, at least! :huh:;)

Edited by HelBob Duo

Misdirection: Bridge View GCR3Q6) - TrailGators OK

Cattail View (GCQM4K)

Stop On A Path GCQM4G)

princess toadstool's Birthday (GCQH9P) Chuy OK

Instant Cash (GCNWPR) - Open - Miragee says this is too far from home w/o a Jeep!

Leave A Message (GCNJBT) - TrailGators OK

Where Do You Call Home? (GCNA2N) - Gobolts OK

Time Out (GCN134)

Princess Toastool will have final say. AS ALWAYS :D

Dang you guys are ORGANIZED!! I'm impressed.

GoBolts! definitely gets Where Do You Call Home as losing a pair of shorts certainly rates adoption rights :D

So far I'm in agreement with the rest of the list, Chuy.

By the way. can anyone tell me what I need to do to put the caches up for adoption? :D

Sorry to see you go, Nancy! We'll all be waiting for news of your adventures. I'm not particularly looking to add more caches to my inventory, but I would be happy to take these, unless someone else out there is interested:

Cattail View (GCQM4K)

Stop On A Path GCQM4G)

-FlagMan.

Cattail View (GCQM4K)

Stop On A Path GCQM4G)

Leave A Message (GCNJBT)

Time Out (GCN134) drexotic

You better not leave without saying "C ya later"!

I'd like to take over Time out. I live close and I had quite an experience finding it. I emailed PT as well. Thanks, Jeff / drexotic

Sorry to see you go, Nancy! We'll all be waiting for news of your adventures. I'm not particularly looking to add more caches to my inventory, but I would be happy to take these, unless someone else out there is interested:

Cattail View (GCQM4K)

Stop On A Path GCQM4G)

Unless Flagman really wants them, I would be willing to take these. I would also be willing to take TT's MTRP Nuisance Cache #1 (in the event that Duganrm doesn't find it first! :D )

(This new forum SW has got me thrown a bit, I keep clicking on the wrong things -- some of the changes seem they are solely for the sake of being different :D )

The SD chapter if the Sierra Club also has the peak list in a little different format. Its interesting that they list Cuyamaca Peak as the high point (6512') when its actually the highest publicly accessible peak.

I believe the true high point is Hot Springs Moutain (6533') on indian land, yes?

You are correct, however, if the San Diego County line stretched just a tad bit more north Rabbit Peak would take the trophy standing at 6666'. Sounds like a nice resting place for a geocache..... :D

PassingWind

With photo's and mention of dropping Yrium cards on Rabbit peak it sounds as if you made the trip without incident.

I was hoping that you (PW) would tell us about the trip and contrast your experience with that in the link above!?! (OH come on . . . . Please!!!)

Thanks, Jeff / drexotic

Cattail View (GCQM4K) - Flagman or LLOT

Above Dishwasher Pond (GCQM4E) - Flagman or LLOT

Stop On A Path GCQM4G) - Flagman or LLOT

Instant Cash (GCNWPR) - Open - Miragee says this is too far from home w/o a Jeep!

Time Out (GCN134) - drexotic

Updated list.

OK = P-T has granted the transfer.

Adopt page link.

Edited by Chuy

Cattail View (GCQM4K) - Flagman or LLOT

Above Dishwasher Pond (GCQM4E) - Flagman or LLOT

Stop On A Path GCQM4G) - Flagman or LLOT

Not Again (aka the Sandwich Cache) (GCP9V3) GoBolts! ?

Kramer's Hole-In-One (GCP4VV) GoBolts! ?

Time Out (GCN134) - drexotic

Updated list.

OK = P-T has granted the transfer.

Adopt page link.

I will take Not Again and Kramer's Hole-In-One if no one else does.

(This new forum SW has got me thrown a bit, I keep clicking on the wrong things -- some of the changes seem they are solely for the sake of being different :blink: )

I'm doing the same thing.

Some of the new buttons/features are not too intuitive to me.

I guess we'll get used to it.......

Grrrrrrrr. The old forum had a button where you could go to new posts within a thread. I don't seem to be able to find it in the new format. Has anyone found a way to skip straight to the new posts within a thread?

Cattail View (GCQM4K)

Stop On A Path GCQM4G)

Unless Flagman really wants them, I would be willing to take these. I would also be willing to take TT's MTRP Nuisance Cache #1 (in the event that Duganrm doesn't find it first! :blink: )

(This new forum SW has got me thrown a bit, I keep clicking on the wrong things -- some of the changes seem they are solely for the sake of being different :) )

You guys are welcome to first dibs...

(This new forum SW has got me thrown a bit, I keep clicking on the wrong things -- some of the changes seem they are solely for the sake of being different :blink: )

FYI - They didn't just make changes, they installed all new forum software. Most of the changes are hard coded into the new software, they are not just things that Groundspeak changed. RM

Edited by RocketMan

I just noticed a nice feature of the new forums. You can use a rich text editor which lets you change text size, color and style easily. To activate it, just go to "My Controls" at the top of the forum page, click on Board Settings in the lower left under Options and then select Rich Text Editor under type of editor.

eea61985-144b-4700-a493-6187db67cdc8.jpg

FYI - They didn't just make changes, they installed all new forum software. Most of the changes are hard coded into the new software, they are not just things that Groundspeak changed. RM

What's the "+Quote" button for? It used to reply to someone and include their post. Now "Reply" does that.