The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

X-treme GPSr for X-treme cachers.  ;)  Go Garmin!!!

Yeah, those are very nice with Sirf III and memory cards. They have been talking about them over in the Software Forum for several months. I may have to put my 60cs on EBay. RM

You may want to wait until they work the bugs out of sending waypoints to the GPSr vial GSAK. I imagine there will be a fix in the near future. Personally, I'm glad there are problems, or I'd be tempted to run out and buy it now. :rolleyes:

I think there will be a lot of enhancements coming for GPSs in the next couple of years. So those who can wait the longest will be benefit the most. To be honest the 60CS has plenty of space for the maps I need.

Yeah, those are very nice with Sirf III and memory cards. They have been talking about them over in the Software Forum for several months. I may have to put my 60cs on EBay. RM

You may want to wait until they work the bugs out of sending waypoints to the GPSr vial GSAK. I imagine there will be a fix in the near future. Personally, I'm glad there are problems, or I'd be tempted to run out and buy it now. :rolleyes:

I think there will be a lot of enhancements coming for GPSs in the next couple of years. So those who can wait the longest will be benefit the most. To be honest the 60CS has plenty of space for the maps I need.

B) And after Spamalicious, yours is almost new

That was Dillon Gang's geepus that bit it on that one. ;) I got a new one because my old one had a defect that Garmin couldn't figure out how to repair so they gave me a new one...

Edited by TrailGators
According the the above article, it appears that someone with the last name of "Thayer", as in "Let's Look Over", had something to do with the cancellation!  :rolleyes:  B)

On behalf of Thayer's everywhere, I would like to apologize to C4 that someone usurping the Thayer name had a role in cancelling the party. We regret that it happened and we regret that our good name has been besmirched by the activities of said person. ;)

And for the record, no real Thayer has ever said "Hallelujah, goodie!" ;)B):PB)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
According the the above article, it appears that someone with the last name of "Thayer", as in "Let's Look Over", had something to do with the cancellation!  :rolleyes:  B)

On behalf of Thayer's everywhere, I would like to apologize to C4 that someone usurping the Thayer name had a role in cancelling the party. We regret that it happened and we regret that our good name has been besmirched by the activities of said person.

And for the record, no real Thayer has ever said "Hallelujah, goodie!" :P;)B)

I hope you know I was just kidding. ;)

I was reading that article, and when I saw the last name, I just figured I was going to make a joke. Sorry if I offended you. B)

Not an issue for me. I send waypoints from GSAK to Mapsource and then to the GPS. I always like to see them on the map before I dump them to the GPS. RM

I was reading that article, and when I saw the last name, I just figured I was going to make a joke. Sorry if I offended you. ;)

No apologies needed. No offense taken. I took it as it was intended and intended my response to be taken the same way... B)

Halleluiah! :rolleyes:

(For the record, I have said halleluiah, amen, and any other number of religious words...) B);)

Not an issue for me. I send waypoints from GSAK to Mapsource and then to the GPS. I always like to see them on the map before I dump them to the GPS. RM

That's how I do it too...so where is the best pricing for this bad boy?

If your old one came form REI they will refund the full amount...so no need to go to e-bay....I will be changing my unit and tigger's mango's as soon as REI gets them in.

It seems that most of the GPS discount joints have the 60csx for $499. Not a great price, but I'm sure it will drop.

Also remember if you shared your second unlock code with a friend, you will have to purchase new maps. ;)

Edited by RocketMan
X-treme GPSr for X-treme cachers.  B)  Go Garmin!!!

It seems that most of the GPS discount joints have the 60csx for $499. Not a great price, but I'm sure it will drop.

Also remember if you shared your second unlock code with a friend, you will have to purchase new maps. ;)

.....or have your friend purchase the upcoming version! ;)

Also remember if you shared your second unlock code with a friend, you will have to purchase new maps. B)

.....or have your friend purchase the upcoming version! ;)

:PB)B):P

I am on my 4th Garmin and Sumrall has 1...

Garmin has been great about giving me more unlock codes...

and REI upgraded my maps to V7 for free.

So far, I have found the low of $499.00 online. I will keep an eye out. ;) I wonder if the antenna will support the future 'indoor' gps system.

I made a mistake... :rolleyes:

My new cache should be "44" not "45"...

Beware of Da' Bolts!

Sorry!

Thanks Duncan! for picking up on it....

Congrats to QDMAN for the FTF...with the bad Coords!

;)B) I didn't know and was out there thrashing around!!!! Kind of reminded me of looking for one of QDMAN's caches and when Jahoadi put the wrong coordinates in the GPS or Randy gave out the wrong checksum. All I know is that is wasn't my fault ever B);)

So far, I have found the low of $499.00 online.  I will keep an eye out. :lol:  I wonder if the antenna will support the future 'indoor' gps system.

GPSDiscount has them for 509.00 with the US TOPO CD, carrying case and a pack of rechageable batteries

http://www.gpsdiscount.com/products/index.html?p=919

for newbies like me it is a great deal since I dont have the TOPO maps yet

still a lot of money though :lol:

So far, I have found the low of $499.00 online.  I will keep an eye out. :lol:  I wonder if the antenna will support the future 'indoor' gps system.

GPSDiscount has them for 509.00 with the US TOPO CD, carrying case and a pack of rechageable batteries

You'll also need City Select software to be able to autoroute! Amazon has a package deal for City Select V7 with the auto navigation kit for $140.

Six active threads for the San Diego area is enough. Closing this one. 

Hmmm...it looks like the large San Diego presence in the "West and Southwest" is starting to be noticed by the powers that be...(and yet they refuse to consider "San Diego" as a region in and of itself... :lol: New England has it's own region and yet our huge region -- which contains five of the ten largest states in the US -- seems to be indivisible... :D )

(BTW, don't tell Hemlock, but I count at least 8 or 9 active San Diego threads not counting the ones that were locked. :lol::P )

Has anyone given any thought to starting up a San Diego Geocacher's website? Personally, I like coming here (Groundspeak) for the latest on San Diego scene :D , but there may be some benefits of taking our traffic into our own space. There are also probably some negatives to doing this...

Perhaps some discussion is in order. What'dya think?

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
Six active threads for the San Diego area is enough. Closing this one. 

Hmmm...it looks like the large San Diego presence in the "West and Southwest" is starting to be noticed by the powers that be...(and yet they refuse to consider "San Diego" as a region in and of itself... :lol: New England has it's own region and yet our huge region -- which contains five of the ten largest states in the US -- seems to be indivisible... :D )

(BTW, don't tell Hemlock, but I count at least 8 or 9 active San Diego threads not counting the ones that were locked. :lol::P )

Has anyone given any thought to starting up a San Diego Geocacher's website? Personally, I like coming here (Groundspeak) for the latest on San Diego scene, but there may be some benefits of taking our traffic into our own space. There are also probably some negatives to doing this...

What'dya think?

Hmmm, I didn't know there was a limit....

By the way, some of the threads that are being visited by mainly San Diego cachers are open to others in the WSW or from anywhere else for that matter! :D

I do like the idea of a SoCal group and suggested it before. But they won't do it.....

You'll also need City Select software to be able to autoroute! Amazon has a package deal for City Select V7 with the auto navigation kit for $140.

I'm sick of sharing a GPS with John so we ordered one from Lake Powell for $499 with a $70 gift cert for anywhere plus free shipping..but it's back ordered. Hobbycache is selling them for cheaper but they are also sold out. I think Fisnjak ordered one from offroute and it's in the mail. Jahoadi

contact hobbycache.com about the complete package. that is where i purchased my 60cs, autonav kit (with v7)+ topo for about $620. they really can do wonders with autonav kits and maps. easy to work with and will tell you yes or no if they can save you money.

Hmmm, I didn't know there was a limit....

I didn't know there was an written limit (perhaps I need to reread the Forum Guidlines :lol: ), but obviously the powers feel the need to impose one.

On one hand, I can understand why some people may not be so happy that "West and Southwest" is dominated by San Diego...

...and yet, on the other hand, by the large amount of activity that keeps all these threads alive and pushed to the top of the forum, there is very clearly a need served by the existance of all these threads.

<snip>

Has anyone given any thought to starting up a San Diego Geocacher's website? Personally, I like coming here (Groundspeak) for the latest on San Diego scene :lol: , but there may be some benefits of taking our traffic into our own space. There are also probably some negatives to doing this...

Perhaps some discussion is in order. What'dya think?

SoCalGeocachers has an underutilized SD Area Forum. Granted, the LA/Orange area is different from San Diego but there are more similaraties than differences.

Its a good group but I can only visit so many forums before my eyes start bleeding.

If we all moved over there, it could prolly work out.

Will City Select work with the "X's"? I notice that they didn't mention it in the software compadibility..."only with most MapSource products including BlueChart, City Navigator, U.S. TOPO 24K, U.S. TOPO, and Recreational Lakes with Fishing Hot Spots."

Hopefully it does!!!

Will City Select work with the "X's"?  I notice that they didn't mention it in the software compadibility..."only with most MapSource products including BlueChart, City Navigator, U.S. TOPO 24K, U.S. TOPO, and Recreational Lakes with Fishing Hot Spots." 

Hopefully it does!!!

Good point! RM told me that Garmin was going to move away from City Select. Maybe this is the first step....

BTW City Navigator is only $103 here!

Edited by TrailGators
Will City Select work with the "X's"?  I notice that they didn't mention it in the software compadibility..."only with most MapSource products including BlueChart, City Navigator, U.S. TOPO 24K, U.S. TOPO, and Recreational Lakes with Fishing Hot Spots." 

Hopefully it does!!!

Good point! RM told me that Garmin was going to move away from City Select. Maybe this is the first step....

Ok...

REI is the only place to buy a GPS or software.

Yes it will cost more...however comma you have a life time warranty...

And no down time...and you don’t have to send it to the manufacture. REI replaces it for any reason (except loss of theft)...say you brake it...or want to upgrade or your wife tells you it is her or the GPS...they will give you back what you paid.

Same for software...including exchanging it for newer versions.

Ok...Here is the GoBolts! Scenario...I have the 76CS my wife has the Vista C...In my year of caching REI has replaced my unit 3 times...and my software was upgraded to V7. Not only did I have no down time...but they gave me back $50. Because they lowered the price since I purchased it.

Also as soon as they have the X's we are going to upgrade...OH no some of you say the software ma be different...no prob REI will take my unit and all of its software and hook me up with the new.

Bottom line...yes I pay a bit more...yes I have to wait a few months for them to stock the new X units. But I have had no down time...the latest software...did not need the extra expense of protective cases...no shipping charges...don't have to worry about selling my old unit...and my unit/software will never be obsolete.

Dang...I just cracked open my box of soap...so I must get down now!

The REI Guarantee

Edited by GoBolts!
<snip>QUOTE]

Ok...

REI is the only place to buy a GPS or software.

Yes it will cost more...however comma you have a life time warranty...

And no down time...and you don’t have to send it to the manufacture. REI replaces it for any reason (except loss of theft)...say you brake it...or want to upgrade or your wife tells you it is her or the GPS...they will give you back what you paid.

Dang...I just cracked open my box of soap...so I must get down now!

The REI Guarantee

And this is precisely why, the next time I buy, I will do as you suggest. I have a deep scratch on the face of my 60CS that I live with. Had I spent the extra bucks at REI, I would have switched it out.

Edited by Snake & Rooster
And this is precisely why, the next time I buy, I will do as you suggest. I have a deep scratch on the face of my 60CS that I live with. Had I spent the extra bucks at REI, I would have switched it out.

I had a nasty scratch on my old 60CS from wearing it on my side and scraping it against a boulder. I was really bummed. While were driving around I kept rubbing the scratch real hard using my thumb. After rubbing the scratch for several minutes I noticed that the scratch was coming out! So I kept rubbing it everytime I got a chance and it eventually came out!

As far as REI, all I can say is hindsight is 20-20....

I had a nasty scratch on my old 60CS from wearing it on my side and scraping it against a boulder. I was really bummed. While were driving around I kept rubbing the scratch real hard using my thumb. After rubbing the scratch for several minutes I noticed that the scratch was coming out! So I kept rubbing it everytime I got a chance and it eventually came out!

As far as REI, all I can say is hindsight is 20-20....

That pink silver polish with the little sponge that one can find under most kitchen sinks works quite well for polishing out scratches in plastic. Might be worth a try in these situations.

In fact, I have used it many times to restore CD-R/RW discs by polishing out moderate scratches. Water doesn't hurt CD-R/RW discs.

Edited by SD Rowdies
--snip--

In fact, I have used it many times to restore CD-R/RW discs by polishing out moderate scratches. Water doesn't hurt CD-R/RW discs.

I am impressed about that recovery. :o

No charge for the hint. As far as CD-R/RW discs I polish them right in the sink and clean under running water.

Make sure that it's the creamy pink silver polish. Figured this out once when I was producing a video and found the music I wanted at a trade-in store. Trouble was the disc was badly scratched but I saved it this way. Been doing so ever since.

This is the same way that cowboys make their spurs so sparkly and ching-chingy. Trouble is that the boots fill up with pink water when they are in the sink and stain your boot socks. Nothin' worse than pink boot socks when y'r out ridin' th' range. I shore hate it when that happens.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Well I now have the 60 CSX in hand the Mapsource topo downloaded to the PC no prob. But the city select V 7.0 turns out to be some sort of a special dvd that my pc doesn't recognize. Garmin is sending me a second disc to try. Meanwhile I'm waiting for Clyde to come up with the patch for GSAK so I can load multiple caches. Sure got spoiled, since right now I have to hand punch in each co-ord.

Well I now have the 60 CSX in hand the Mapsource topo downloaded to the PC no prob. But the city select V 7.0 turns out to be some sort of a special dvd that my pc doesn't recognize. Garmin is sending me a second disc to try. Meanwhile I'm waiting for Clyde to come up with the patch for GSAK so I can load multiple caches. Sure got spoiled, since right now I have to hand punch in each co-ord.

City Navigator is on DVD.....Is City Select now on DVD too?

You should be able to send your GSAK query to MapSource first, and then download from MapSource to your GPSr until Clyde can fix it. It would be easier than punching them in by hand :wacko: