The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I know that many in our San Diego Caching Community have climbed the significant peaks of the county.  I thought that this list of local peaks would be of interest and I would be interested in knowing how many of the list you all may have bagged?

Jeff / drexotic

[Now where did I put that spell checker??!!??]

OK, someone must know how to turn that table into a GPX file...

Not me.......

I didn't know that anyone used UTM besides geo-puzzlers.... :grin:

I know that many in our San Diego Caching Community have climbed the significant peaks of the county.  I thought that this list of local peaks would be of interest and I would be interested in knowing how many of the list you all may have bagged?

Jeff / drexotic

The SD chapter if the Sierra Club also has the peak list in a little different format. Its interesting that they list Cuyamaca Peak as the high point (6512') when its actually the highest publicly accessible peak.

I believe the true high point is Hot Springs Moutain (6533') on indian land, yes?

Guess my second question is: Does anyone have a program that will convert the UTM coordinates to a format that GPS Coordinate Grabber can convert to something usable?

Jeff / drexotic

does anyone know if mapsource or mapsend can import an excel file? managed to convert the list into excel. was thinking one of the mapping programs can import it. then change your corrdinates to min deg sec.

The SD chapter if the Sierra Club also has the peak list in a little different format. Its interesting that they list Cuyamaca Peak as the high point (6512') when its actually the highest publicly accessible peak.

I believe the true high point is Hot Springs Moutain (6533') on indian land, yes?

You are correct, however, if the San Diego County line stretched just a tad bit more north Rabbit Peak would take the trophy standing at 6666'. Sounds like a nice resting place for a geocache..... :grin:

PassingWind

The SD chapter if the Sierra Club also has the peak list in a little different format.    Its interesting that they list Cuyamaca Peak as the high point (6512') when its actually the highest publicly accessible peak. 

You are correct, however, if the San Diego County line stretched just a tad bit more north Rabbit Peak would take the trophy standing at 6666'. Sounds like a nice resting place for a geocache..... :grin:

PassingWind

Here is a description of the ascent of Rabbit's peak.

Better put a weekend aside to place that cache!

Jeff / drexotic

The SD chapter if the Sierra Club also has the peak list in a little different format.    Its interesting that they list Cuyamaca Peak as the high point (6512') when its actually the highest publicly accessible peak. 

PassingWind

PW....you must be crazy!! :grin:

PassingWind

Here is a description of the ascent of Rabbit's peak.

Better put a weekend aside to place that cache!

Jeff / drexotic

That (rather scary) article says it's not so high: "Rabbit Peak marks the southern end of the Santa Rosa mountains. It rises to an elevation of 2019 meters (6623') "

PassingWind

PW....you must be crazy!! :grin:

"MUST" be? O please.

:grin: Concerning the rules for placing caches in the Rancho Cuyamaca State Park. I talked to the superintendant about the rule pertaining to checking caches every month. She was quite flexable and the new rule is check your cache every six months. Also she mentioned that later this spring she will come up with a list of areas where caches can be hidden off trail in areas that are not sensitive. If you want to place a cache in the park make sure you check with park at park headquarters near the Paso Pacacho campground. :grin::(:)

Update on the Bikedog Memorial coin:

We are waiting for manufacturer to get us the final die artwork for the coins. We should have coins in-hand by March 1st. The manufacturer gave us a break on the pricing, so all-told, with the tracking numbers, PayPal fees, and shipping, our cost on the coin is about $5.00.

We will be selling them for $10 each, so we hope to be able to put $5000 in Jerry's daughter's trust fund!

The Caching Widow will be posting a link to her website where you can place your orders. Please help us make this a real success.

Thanks,

Dave

You are correct, however, if the San Diego County line stretched just a tad bit more north Rabbit Peak would take the trophy standing at 6666'. Sounds like a nice resting place for a geocache..... :ph34r:

PassingWind

PW....you must be crazy!! :ph34r:

Look who's talking... :ph34r:

I got my badge.....you got yours?

crazy-person-1.jpg

Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges! :ph34r:

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
:huh: Concerning the rules for placing caches in the Rancho Cuyamaca State Park. I talked to the superintendant about the rule pertaining to checking caches every month. She was quite flexable and the new rule is check your cache every six months. Also she mentioned that later this spring she will come up with a list of areas where caches can be hidden off trail in areas that are not sensitive. If you want to place a cache in the park make sure you check with park at park headquarters near the Paso Pacacho campground. :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

Thanks Chuck B! That was nice of you to get that negotiated with the park rangers. :ph34r:

We are waiting for manufacturer to get us the final die artwork for the coins. We should have coins in-hand by March 1st. The manufacturer gave us a break on the pricing, so all-told, with the tracking numbers, PayPal fees, and shipping, our cost on the coin is about $5.00.

We will be selling them for $10 each, so we hope to be able to put $5000 in Jerry's daughter's trust fund!

The Caching Widow will be posting a link to her website where you can place your orders. Please help us make this a real success.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave, can you please post the link to Caching Widow's website? :ph34r:

What is the dude up to now?

Look here, then here.

He posted some finds today, so ...

That's funny. I ran across this guys profile today as well. Check out one of his logs he made a few days ago. Twilight zone

I saw the same webpage today!

You missed his earlier profile where he stated he survived being marooned on an island for three years, and something about being on a Mt Everest-type expedition.

He also posted a DNF, complete with pictures, on the Yukon Diving cache a week before cache was to be hidden (the description clearly stated the date it was to be hidden.) The find attempt seemed suspect; read TT's log entry as he has deleted the DNF post.

He also got some blood boiling here when he posted on the SCG website that San Diego caches lacked creativity..

I've had email conversations and he appears "sane"; I get the feeling he's just an animated character and means no harm.

Thanks,

Dave

Hi Dave, can you please post the link to Caching Widow's website? :ph34r:

She is getting set up now. She will post it once she has it ready to roll!

Look here, then here.

That's funny. I ran across this guys profile today as well. Check out one of his logs he made a few days ago. Twilight zone

You missed his earlier profile where he stated he survived being marooned on an island for three years, and something about being on a Mt Everest-type expedition.

He also posted a DNF, complete with pictures, on the Yukon Diving cache a week before cache was to be hidden (the description clearly stated the date it was to be hidden.) The find attempt seemed suspect; read TT's log entry as he has deleted the DNF post.

He also got some blood boiling here when he posted on the SCG website that San Diego caches lacked creativity..

I've had email conversations and he appears "sane"; I get the feeling he's just an animated character and means no harm.

He's just a goof ball and has been for as long as I have been reading his logs. Nothing new. RM

Look here, then here.

Chuy, you're feelings are right on. I talked to him at the Santee event and since via e-mail; Matt's a good guy (despite the feathers he may have ruffled). End transmission.

D!

Look here, then here.

Chuy, you're feelings are right on. I talked to him at the Santee event and since via e-mail; Matt's a good guy (despite the feathers he may have ruffled). End transmission.

D!

Once apon a time he got his wires crossed & sent me some email where the verbage wasn't very nice. At that time, his profile listed him as a minister. Some minister!

He seems like a really strange duck.

Look here, then here.

D!

Once apon a time he got his wires crossed & sent me some email where the verbage wasn't very nice. At that time, his profile listed him as a minister. Some minister!

He seems like a really strange duck.

You have to admit that some of his antics are somewhat amusing. :ph34r:

Edited by TrailGators

Jeff / drexotic

How's this? I converted the peeks file into a LOC file. I will try to update the names better, but here is the link:

San Diego Peeks (LOC file)

Adelos

Jeff / drexotic

How's this? I converted the peeks file into a LOC file. I will try to update the names better, but here is the link:

Adelos

I knew someone would be able to figure it out! Thanks, Paul!

Jeff / drexotic

Adelos

Please share your method. Thanks, RM

how do you get this file into mapsource ?

First right click on the link and use the "Save Link as" option in your browser.

In Mapsource, click File -> Open. Then change the "Files of Type:" to LOC Files.

I had to change the name from "peeks.xml" to "peaks.loc" when I did the "Save Link As" step.

Edited by TrailGators

Jeff / drexotic

Adelos

I am sure that there are easier tools and free, but I couldn't find any that would do it directly. THANKFULLY gpsbabel is available! I did so many things I got dizzy! I have mapsourse and mapsend, but neither did what I liked.

Basically (lol):

* modified the file a little to split the UTM column 11S into 11 and N

* imported it into TOPO! (not free) by configuring for UTM import

* changed the TOPO configuration to show decimal format dd.dddd

* exported the waypoints from TOPO to a GPS text file

* used the gpsbabel (free) program (GUI) to import the GPS text file and export to into LOC format. This could have been GPX also. When I get home, I will update/add a link to the GPX version.

NOTE: I think I (again) had to modify the GPS text file a little to allow compatability for the gpsbable format, but in the end it FINALLY worked out. Took me about an hour or so to figure it out. :huh:

Paul

PS: Thanks drexotic for the original file to work with.

How's this?  I converted the peeks file into a LOC file.  I will try to update the names better, but here is the link:

Just in case you wanted to take a peek? :)

(Thanks, Paul!)

San Diego Peeks (GPX file)

This link is for a GPX file of the peeks in San Diego! :huh:

Interesting, I uploaded the file into my Mapsource TOPO and the "peek" files show up at least 0.1mi off the given peak coordinates found in the Mapsource TOPO package.

Jeff / drexotic

Adelos

I am sure that there are easier tools and free, but I couldn't find any that would do it directly. THANKFULLY gpsbabel is available! I did so many things I got dizzy! I have mapsourse and mapsend, but neither did what I liked.

Basically (lol):

* used the gpsbabel (free) program (GUI) to import the GPS text file and export to into LOC format. This could have been GPX also. When I get home, I will update/add a link to the GPX version.

NOTE: I think I (again) had to modify the GPS text file a little to allow compatability for the gpsbable format, but in the end it FINALLY worked out. Took me about an hour or so to figure it out. :huh:

Paul

Interesting. :)

I took a quick crack at it yesterday but my work got in the way. I did some parsing in Excel and then saved it back as a text file. The idea was to get it ready to dump directly into GPSBable. I got it close but not all the way there. I think it can be done though. I will have to look it when I have more time. RM

Jeff / drexotic

Adelos

Basically (lol):

NOTE: I think I (again) had to modify the GPS text file a little to allow compatability for the gpsbable format, but in the end it FINALLY worked out. Took me about an hour or so to figure it out. :)

Paul

Interesting. :huh:

I took a quick crack at it yesterday but my work got in the way. I did some parsing in Excel and then saved it back as a text file. The idea was to get it ready to dump directly into GPSBable. I got it close but not all the way there. I think it can be done though. I will have to look it when I have more time. RM

TOPO! basically converted all the numbers for me, so that was really nice. I just started looking at the format of some of the others, so I am sure there was a better method. Anyway, I doubt that I will get to too many of those peaks but it is nice to have on hand.

Paul

X-treme GPSr for X-treme cachers.  ;)  Go Garmin!!!

Yeah, those are very nice with Sirf III and memory cards. They have been talking about them over in the Software Forum for several months. I may have to put my 60cs on EBay. RM

You may want to wait until they work the bugs out of sending waypoints to the GPSr vial GSAK. I imagine there will be a fix in the near future. Personally, I'm glad there are problems, or I'd be tempted to run out and buy it now. :rolleyes: