The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Howdy everyone. We have a quick question regarding caches around Palm Desert and Lake Cahuilla. Has anyone done caches GCJHF0 - GCJ23C and GCJ2TK- GCJ23G ? Do you need a truck or SUV to do these caches or can they be walked?? We aren't sure if our Toyota Matrix will make it to the trailhead. :mad:

The Morrow trail has to be hiked. It is a fun hike! We parked a vehicle on the upper end and drove around and hiked back to the first car. The Boo Hoff trail can be driven! It isn't too rough....

Okay, I know I had talked about geocaching in the snow earlier in this thread...well, I attempted tonight. In Albany, New York......even went out and bought a pair of snowboots here at the local mall for the occasion. All I have to say is....

I LOVE SAN DIEGO. :mad:

I didn't find the cache I went after, however, I did manage to get a cold headache, but my feet were toasty warm! :(

Looking forward to getting home.

c44d523b-3f08-4447-969b-a7d3129349dd.jpg

Okay, I know I had talked about geocaching in the snow earlier in this thread...well, I attempted tonight. In Albany, New York......even went out and bought a pair of snowboots here at the local mall for the occasion. All I have to say is....

I LOVE SAN DIEGO. :(

I didn't find the cache I went after, however, I did manage to get a cold headache, but my feet were toasty warm! :mad:

Looking forward to getting home.

c44d523b-3f08-4447-969b-a7d3129349dd.jpg

Looks like fun! It's hard to believe that you have an 18 year old son! You look like you're ~25 in that shot! Maybe it's the hat! :(

Buggeration, I'm trying to put an HTML link in my sig, but it won't work. What's the code again? (I know this came up months ago, but the search function is broken on the forums and I can't find it by trawling). I've used a href tags in pointy brackets, and URL tags in square brackets, but neither worked.

Buggeration, I'm trying to put an HTML link in my sig, but it won't work. What's the code again? (I know this came up months ago, but the search function is broken on the forums and I can't find it by trawling). I've used a href tags in pointy brackets, and URL tags in square brackets, but neither worked.

*bracket* URL=http://www.mylink.com *bracket* My Link *bracket* /URL *bracket*

update your profile, log out of gc.com & the forums....log back onto both and it should be updated.

PW

This is wayyyyyy off topic but with so many teachers in this group, I thought I'd ask here. My daughter wants to grow crystals and I'm trying to find a source for the chemicals. I know you can grow them from sugar, salt, alum, but I want the more colorful stuff, KMnO4, Copper Sulfate, that kind of thing. IS there anywhere that carries that kind of stuff in small quantities?

Thanks!

PQMommy

This is wayyyyyy off topic but with so many teachers in this group, I thought I'd ask here. My daughter wants to grow crystals and I'm trying to find a source for the chemicals. I know you can grow them from sugar, salt, alum, but I want the more colorful stuff, KMnO4, Copper Sulfate, that kind of thing. IS there anywhere that carries that kind of stuff in small quantities?

Thanks!

PQMommy

What kind of crystal are you trying to cook up?

[bad FlagMan, bad FlagMan. Go sit in the corner until the bell rings...]

Thanks!

PQMommy

What kind of crystal are you trying to cook up?

[bad FlagMan, bad FlagMan. Go sit in the corner until the bell rings...]

She's 8. While I think being an entrepreneur is great, I have no wish to see my kid on CNN :lol:

Thanks!

PQMommy

I have tons of copper (II) sulfate. If you come by after school sometime, I can probably give you a little. You might also try just spiking your clear crystals with food coloring. I think that would work also. Just contact me if you want to come by.

Thanks!

PQMommy

I have tons of copper (II) sulfate. If you come by after school sometime, I can probably give you a little. You might also try just spiking your clear crystals with food coloring. I think that would work also. Just contact me if you want to come by.

Thanks, Parsa, I may take you up on that!

Thanks!

PQMommy

Searching, I found you can get the KMnO4 at Koi fish stores. Probably other such places, too. If you know the names of the chems you want, try ebay.

Introducing YMS #28 - PassingWind:

redx.jpg

Thanks, again, to Harmon for the design work... 

It will take me a couple days to get these released, so stay tuned...

Thats awesome! You worked in all the required elements.

Very funny, in a friendly way. :lol:

Wait a minute! :P I don't see a bruised fanny in that picture. I want to see the bruised fanny! :D (Ok, not really! :lol: )

So what is he sitting on?

It's a really cute rendition of Signal. :D The poor, little guy! :P

*bracket* URL=http://www.mylink.com *bracket* My Link *bracket* /URL *bracket*

update your profile, log out of gc.com & the forums....log back onto both and it should be updated.

PW

Hoorah, thanks Jason :lol:

(those were square brackets, in case anyone was wondering)

I was confused because when you look at the page source code it has them as standard "a href" tags in pointy brackets.

redx.jpg

Thats awesome! You worked in all the required elements.

Very funny, in a friendly way. :lol:

Wait a minute! :P I don't see a bruised fanny in that picture. I want to see the bruised fanny! :D (Ok, not really! :lol: )

So what is he sitting on?

It's a really cute rendition of Signal. :D The poor, little guy! :P

Funny, but Harmon's original version did have the bruised fanny -- you can blame me for the veto. Now if Jason were a plumber, it might have survived...

You should recognize the seat as a whoopie cushion...

444289e1-e1ba-4c2f-93f3-4c6accce2693.jpg

Yep, it's true, in the first version I submitted PW's raw cheeks were there as a darkened background for all to squint and see. FlagMan rightly ruled that the background was too dark in more than one way.

Late one recent night when Geocaching.com was down for maintenance I ran into the sick Signal graphic on their web site. Thank goodness I had enough sense to download a copy of it. I had no idea that I would have a use for it so soon?

For you photo editing devotees notice that I used the Photoshop CS2 Vanishing Point Filter to map graphics onto the side walls of the outlet. What Lesson was that anyway?

It's a real pleasure to work for FlagMan on YMS layouts. He looks after Yrium's intentions and is quick to throw a flag when my efforts go out of bounds for acceptable taste.

We must continue to count our blessings that Flag Man took on the Yrium cards. It pleases me ever so much to see that local Geocachers value the cards, but remember, no fist fighting nor hair pulling at Max's Favorite Park. Well, you know, unless I'm there to watch.

Thanks Tom.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Harmon, ya want some cheeken or what? po lil guy settin in the yard pining away for you....

Steve,

Dang, yes I do. Vector me your way and I'll pick it up. How would Monday work for you?

I've had that container on my mind since we last exchanged messages.

Thanks for being so patient. Finally have my dad out of the hospital and back home in reasonable shape.

Thanks,

Harmon

Thanks!

PQMommy

Searching, I found you can get the KMnO4 at Koi fish stores. Probably other such places, too. If you know the names of the chems you want, try ebay.

hey, ebay worked! who'd have thunk it! if i can't find a local source now at least i have an online one.

steve, thanks again for the offer. i think i will go ahead and purchase it. i wouldn't want to risk your doing something that might get frowned on.

i appreciate the help!

Hello San Diego Cachers!

Two historic San Diego webcam caches almost went out into the trash with some of the "virtuals" during the latest GC.com clean-up. They've now been adopted and are now maintained by me and are now online and up and running.

Have a look at the galleries, do you recognize anyone ?

Who will be the first to "snap" their best shot for the Banter Thread ?

Cheers,

PassingWind

* Mission Beach * - Webcam Cache

916405_1100.jpg

* Ocean Beach * - Webcam Cache

1136713_200.jpg

I just got word that one of the SD bunch has made it to the Colorado Bikedog Memorial Cache. According to one of the locals, Boxboy who just logged the cache:

"Arrived at this cache just as "Look Over There" from San Diego was leaving the cache after paying their respects to Bikedog."

It's funny because I saw three cars parked below the cache and saw a bunch of people up on the hill. Let's Look Over Thayer must have been up there then. :D

RM

I just got word that one of the SD bunch has made it to the Colorado Bikedog Memorial Cache.  According to one of the locals, Boxboy who just logged the cache:

"Arrived at this cache just as "Look Over There" from San Diego was leaving the cache after paying their respects to Bikedog."

It's funny because I saw three cars parked below the cache and saw a bunch of people up on the hill.  Let's Look Over Thayer must have been up there then.  :D

RM

'Tis true. We met Boxboy (and son) just as we were about to depart. Two of the cars were ours and the third was Boxboy's. There were a whole bunch of other folks on the hill as well, but they were just out hiking on a beautiful January day.

Team Taskmaster is not so much closing in on the Mississippi River Cache as bungling and fumbling their way toward it. You would think that with the author in the family we would have an advantage, but noooooooooo. Confidence is high for a find tomorrow, though. Okay, maybe not "high" so much as..."marginal." Today, we ended our hunt with Brando, the littlest Taskmaster, throwing up in the car. Now, I'm not saying it's Dan-oh's cache, but it's an odd coincidence. :D

Actually, this is a great cache, and I hope the rest of the SD puzzle hounds take up the journey. He put in a lot of hard work on this one.

CB, Queen of the Taskmasters

We're tired, we're road-weary, and the Queen may have hypothermia, but we have been to the Mississippi River and lived to tell the tale.

It's a good thing TucsonThompsen isn't in town anymore; he would have some competition for the head evil cacher position! Dan-oh put in quite a showing with this one. We've spent the last hour being amazed at the time, effort, and resources he put into this cache adventure. Thanks, Dan! The whole Team loved it, and Jordan is honored you felt her story worthy. Some spoiler photos, including the ones of my cut up legs, will be coming to you via e-mail or the B.V. Express soon!

CB, Queen of the Taskmasters

Edited by Team Taskmaster
We're tired, we're road-weary, and the Queen may have hypothermia, but we have been to the Mississippi River and lived to tell the tale...

Thats all great but you haven't logged the find yet!

Somehow I suspect the Queen can't reveal the extent of her torment without making the cache easier for the next cachers. Thus is the frustration endured by a puzzle cacher. I'm glad to hear I'm still in the ranks with TT; that warms my heart to no end! icon_smile_evil.gif

OK, so who's next?

For a week or so, when I use Google Earth/GeocachingNetworkKML and click to view the cache (view cache details) it doesn't work?  :D

Any suggestions?

Nick

It is working on my computer so I'm not much help. but it is showing two when the green dot comes up with the name of the cache.

Edited by Team Fatman
We're tired, we're road-weary, and the Queen may have hypothermia, but we have been to the Mississippi River and lived to tell the tale...

Thats all great but you haven't logged the find yet!

Somehow I suspect the Queen can't reveal the extent of her torment without making the cache easier for the next cachers. Thus is the frustration endured by a puzzle cacher.

The truth of it is...I fell asleep on the couch while the King was watching the U.S. whoop Norway in a World Cup friendly. That last waypoint was a taxing one for me. Made Snakes and Ladders seem like a walk in the park...which it was, but nevermind that.

But I must agree that it is difficult to convey how fun yet painful this cache was. I want to do it justice without spoiling the joy for those who follow.

For a week or so, when I use Google Earth/GeocachingNetworkKML and click to view the cache (view cache details) it doesn't work? :D

Any suggestions?

Nick

That happened to me as well. I think something happened to my KML file. I just deleted and reloaded the KML file and it worked fine.

QUOTE (Caching Widow @ Jan 26 2006, 09:59 AM)

Hey, I gotta piece of that action too. Thanks!!!

I just knew that you would be pleased. Keep on keeping that husband of yours in line.

Keeping him in line?!??!?!

That's like trying to catch the wind with a butterfly net.

:rolleyes:

I especially like the PW misprint card. Whoever did those graphics is especially talented.

:(

<snip>

Bwahaha! I doubt thats a back scratcher, eh?

BTW, nice job at 'La Cucaracha Rio'. Its almost like 'Passage to Hogsmead' but d@mn longer! Did you check the 8' corrugated pipe a little further downstream? It goes under the freeway. Purty cool.

edit to add:

I've just read the Queen's log entry twice and just love it! I really dig well written and humorous log entries:

Lesson #4: Look more carefully, and check everywhere. Check again. Keep checking, no matter how cold you are. It’s there, and you’ll feel like a schmo if you have to call someone. You’ll feel like a ragin’ moron if you have to call the cache owner, who will serenely guide you right to it, give you a virtual pat on the head like you are an amusing yet simple toddler, and then hang up cackling like a fiend. Okay, I might have misinterpreted the last two parts of that.

A special thanks to CC and every other writer that submits great logs like these. We all have our special talents. Mine aint' writing though. :rolleyes:

Edited by Dan-oh

I just knew that you would be pleased. Keep on keeping that husband of yours in line.

:rolleyes:

I especially like the PW misprint card. Whoever did those graphics is especially talented.

:(

Fishing for a compliment are we dear?

I'll bite, nice work on the missprint graphic CW.

Edited by SD Rowdies
QUOTE (Caching Widow @ Jan 29 2006, 08:23 PM)

Fishing for a compliment are we dear?

I'll bite, nice work on the missprint graphic. CW

Thank you for biting. You're the sweetest!!

Is this "Woman Stuck Waist-Deep In Mud" anyone we know?

OMG that would be embarrassing. How would you explain what you were doing that got you waist deep in mud?

I was:

(1) catching frogs?

(2) looking for tupperware full of plastic trinkets?

(3) returning to my car, which I left right there? :mad:

(4) Looking for Dan-oh's new cache..... :mad:

Lesson #8b: Bring change and a change of clothes…a COMPLETE change of clothes. One never knows when one might be required to change ALL garments.

Edited by TrailGators