The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

It was a beautiful day today at Bikedog's life celebration party. Jerry certainly had a lot of friends. It was nice chatting with old and new geocaching friends. Thanks to Flagman for producing some handsome sets of Bikedog cards and placing them in some of Jerry's caches. Also thanks to Jerry's friends who put on the kind of party he would have enjoyed. RIP Jerry!

"Its all good"

Ruscal and Birdlegs

Edited by RUSCAL

Howdy y'all.

For those interested, I received the following from ChuckB regarding cache placement in Rancho Cuyamaca State Park:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

State of California • The Resources Agency Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governor

DEPARTMENT OF PARKS AND RECREATION Ruth Coleman, Director

Cuyamaca Rancho and Palomar Mountain State Parks Geocaching Policy

General Provisions:

All requests for geocache placement in the Cuyamaca Rancho and Palomar Mountain State Parks must be in writing and submitted to the Park Superintendent at 12551 Highway 79, Descanso, CA 91916 for approval and authorization. Written approval from the park for each geocache placement is required BEFORE the physical cache is placed in the park. Any geocaches not meeting the guidelines in this policy will be removed. State Parks reserves the right to amend this policy. The park phone number is 760-765-0755.

Required Information:

1. Proposed geocache location on a park map, GPS coordinates included

2. Name and contact information for persons(s) requesting authorization

3. Geocache container and site descriptions

4. Picture and/or example of cache container

5. Picture of proposed cache site

6. List of proposed container contents.

Geocache Placement Requirements:

-Geocache name must be clearly visible on the exterior of all geocache containers. - An “Official Geocache” green and black sticker is preferred.

-Alternatively, “Official Geocache” and cache name must be written on the

side of the cache in ½ inch letters.

-Caches need to be public, no “members only” caches or “subscriber only” caches.

-Geocache must not contain any food items.

-Geocache must not contain any inappropriate, offensive, or hazardous materials.

-Caches must be placed adjacent to already existing trails, within six feet of the center of the trail. No natural or man-made features may be disturbed or moved.

-Sensitive plant and cultural areas are off limits for caches.

-Cache must be in a secure, waterproof container.

-General park rules and rules regarding geocaching must be available on any online postings for the cache.

Requirements for Geocache Owners:

Cache must be checked once a month and maintained as a family-friendly cache.

When a cache is removed, the responsible party will deactivate or archive any online postings for the removed cache within 3 days of removal.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once a month, huh?

D!

Are those rules something new?

Maybe we can get some different volunteers to go up check on all those caches each month!  ;)

Yep, new rules. I had several in the park that were archived. Not sure if I'll place any more...

D!

Bummer! Which caches did you just lose? The Palomar ones? Guess I need to get up there before those disappear. I just recently did the Palomar Divide caches and all those were OK....

Maybe we can get some different volunteers to go up check on all those caches each month!  ;)

Yep, new rules. I had several in the park that were archived. Not sure if I'll place any more...

D!

Bummer! Which caches did you just lose? The Palomar ones? Guess I need to get up there before those disappear. I just recently did the Palomar Divide caches and all those were OK....

Sorry, no. It was several in RCSP a year or two ago. I'm pretty sure the caches I have in Palomar are not in the SP. Maybe I should check...

D!

D!

Sorry, no. It was several in RCSP a year or two ago. I'm pretty sure the caches I have in Palomar are not in the SP. Maybe I should check...

D!

I just did and they are OK! The park in Palomar itself is pretty small. Cuyamaca on the other hand is very large but there are only two active caches left in the park and they are both down by the lake.

Too bad because Cuyamaca looks like an awesome area:

54e5590a-977c-4a10-a1c2-3e28b382c1f8.jpg

Edited by TrailGators
I just did and they are OK! The park in Palomar itself is pretty small. Cuyamaca on the other hand is very large but there are only two active caches left in the park and they are both down by the lake.

Those rules look pretty close to the same ones the SDRP have....

It looks like there may be 2 physical caches in the Cuyamaca Park. One is called Fishing Buddies at the lake and the other seems to be right on the border titled Cuyamaca Rancho State Park Cache (won't mention by who <_<). The other cache in the park is an earthcache so it shouldn't cause any problems.

It looks like there may be 2 physical caches in the Cuyamaca Park. One is called Fishing Buddies at the lake and the other seems to be right on the border titled Cuyamaca Rancho State Park Cache (won't mention by who <_<). The other cache in the park is an earthcache so it shouldn't cause any problems.

SDRP doesn't have the rule about the cache being six feet from the center of the trail...

SDRP doesn't have the rule about the cache being six feet from the center of the trail...

I recently scouted the conditions at the site of our old Cuymaca Peak cache at the foundation boulders for the old fire lookout at the summit. I figured out a way to (barely) comply with the 6 feet rule (note the reference is to CENTER of the trail, not the edge) but more importantly, it isn't feasible for me to get up there monthly. For now, I'll have to pass on replacing it. Sorry.

-Gecko Dad

How things looked from the summit looking WNW back in September 2002 (before the Cedar fire).

38443_200.jpg

Did anyone notice or mention the new GC option for additional waypoints on a cache listing? I just edited parking cordinates for Uno Dos Tres (Uno)!

Very cool and useful feature recently added.

Yeah, it's nice that they finally added that capability. I downloaded the GPX file for your cache and I see that the parking coords are included in the GPX file also. Here is what the cache/parking waypoint look like in GSAK when you open the GPX file:

b98a5dc5-c63b-474b-99e7-62619422fab4.jpg

I guess that I should mention that I am using the latest Beta of GSAK. I don't know if the latest released version 6.5.1 supports the extra waypoints but it probably does.

Edited by RocketMan

I had to contact and communicate directly with Park/Land Officials on all my earthcache submissions to get them approved, it's required by the Geological Society for pre- approval before final submission to GC.com....a lot of hoops to go through but well worth incorporating all of the party's because of the educational and historical value they provide.

PassingWind

It looks like there may be 2 physical caches in the Cuyamaca Park. One is called Fishing Buddies at the lake and the other seems to be right on the border titled Cuyamaca Rancho State Park Cache (won't mention by who :P). The other cache in the park is an earthcache so it shouldn't cause any problems.

I had to contact and communicate directly with Park/Land Officials on all my earthcache submissions to get them approved, it's required by the Geological Society for pre- approval before final submission to GC.com....a lot of hoops to go through but well worth incorporating all of the party's because of the educational and historical value they provide.

PassingWind

Too bad they are not allowed anymore.... <_<

That is way cool also. Is there a limit to the number of waypoints one can add? (not that I would want to, but it would be handy for some caches I know of (Wild animal park) Figures RocketMan is 10 steps ahead! Thanks RocketMan. Too bad it is 815 miles away!

That's a good point! I wouldn't want the number of caches I load chopped way down by having tons of parking and other waypoints loaded into my geepus.....

That is way cool also. Is there a limit to the number of waypoints one can add? (not that I would want to, but it would be handy for some caches I know of (Wild animal park) Figures RocketMan is 10 steps ahead! Thanks RocketMan. Too bad it is 815 miles away!

That's a good point! I wouldn't want the number of caches I load chopped way down by having tons of parking and other waypoints loaded into my geepus.....

You worried that 1000 isn't enough! <_<

You can exclude the additional waypoints when importing into GSAK (so if you want them for a specific cache, you'd have to load it separately, I guess).

You worried that 1000 isn't enough! <_<

I've been covering large areas lately and have been going 40-60 miles away from my home coords. So it's nice to have all the caches loaded in and around my home coords and the ones on the way and around those remote areas. I don't want to dink around making caches along a route I just want to load two PQs and go caching! :P

Anyhow, TFTC answered my question. Thanks TFTC!

You can exclude the additional waypoints when importing into GSAK (so if you want them for a specific cache, you'd have to load it separately, I guess).

How? I don't see that option in the "Load" dialog box. RM

It looks like there may be 2 physical caches in the Cuyamaca Park. One is called Fishing Buddies at the lake and the other seems to be right on the border titled Cuyamaca Rancho State Park Cache (won't mention by who :D). The other cache in the park is an earthcache so it shouldn't cause any problems.

PassingWind

Too bad they are not allowed anymore.... :D

:D The policy approved by the superintendant of Rancho Cuyamaca Stated Park was based on the San Dieguito River Park geocaching regulations with changes to reflect the problems in the park. Due to the Cedar fire a lot of the plants and trees are still in a tender state. Thus the six feet from the center of the trail. Don's cache location on top of Cuyamaca Peak would probably be okayed since there is no trail in that area and a lot of paved area. As for the once a month rule I would not place a cache their either under that rule, so I will talk to the superintendant to see if we can get that changed. What would be a fair and reasonable time to check caches? Six months, three months or what? Also the six feet from the center of the trail is subject to change as the plants stabelize. Another thing. I was told that no caches would be allowed on Stonewall because it is now considered a sacred Indian site. ;):D:D

As for the once a month rule I would not place a cache their either under that rule, so I will talk to the superintendant to see if we can get that changed.  What would be a fair and reasonable time to check caches? Six months, three months or what?  Also the six feet from the center of the trail is subject to change as the plants stabelize.

The cache actually would get checked every time someone visited it. If someone DNFs it they could require that it be temporarily be archived until it is checked. I know that instead of making a rule to check it, they could make a requirement for no bushwhacking and that you provide spoiler hints and photos that would help stop certain people from trampling all over the area. I also think we could get everyone to take extra care while caching in these environments.

Edit: Another idea would be to require all caches in the area to include some standard verbiage on the cache page that they would provide...

Edited by TrailGators

Got a little tired of seeing the Broncos get their butts kicked, so we spent a little time watching a Fox out our back window. We saw him come in and nab a rat. Very Cool.

Waiting to Pounce

d27c04ea-3d24-4a8f-b2e2-8950d50ec8dc.jpg

Got his Prey

ccab0768-8534-4f21-95cd-da5e7adb6e8c.jpg

Gulp

d5b65fb6-a020-4239-b9ba-4997c5de8758.jpg

All Done

c724dcc0-b2a1-4a13-a081-94857a371296.jpg

Unfortunately I missed the shot of him up in the air when he pounced. RM

In the Load GPX dialog box, toward the right hand side, there's a checkbox labeled "Exclude 'Waypoints' when loading Geocaching.com GPX files" - I'm assuming that's the option?

In the Load GPX dialog box, toward the right hand side, there's a checkbox labeled "Exclude 'Waypoints' when loading Geocaching.com GPX files" - I'm assuming that's the option?

That's Strange. I don't see it.

51ad046a-6a9d-4e68-9eba-f22cbe39f7d7.jpg

Howdy y'all.

For those interested, I received the following from ChuckB regarding cache placement in Rancho Cuyamaca State Park:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

State of California

D!

The caches on the Palomar Devide are on Cleveland National Forest.

The new policy affects State parks, not Federal.

Thanks D for the info; tough standards!

Edited by Chuy
The caches on the Palomar Devide are on Cleveland National Forest.

The new policy affects State parks, not Federal.

Thanks D for the info; tough standards!

From what I can tell, there are only 2 caches that are in the new rules area of Palomar.

Beam Me Up Scotty! (GCF057) and Acient Oak Tree Cache (GC5312).

Got a little tired of seeing the Broncos get their butts kicked, so we spent a little time watching a Fox out our back window.  We saw him come in and nab a rat.  Very Cool.d27c04ea-3d24-4a8f-b2e2-8950d50ec8dc.jpg

Beautiful animal! Fox sitings have been very rare for me. You guys were lucky today! It's kind of funny how much they act like dogs!

Dave~

The Fox pics are awesome!!! Wow!

The Broncos must have been taking 'choke' lessons from t he Chargers.

We were rootin' for them tho!

Thanks for all of your pictures, we enjoy them, and you guys don't seem so far away.

The Splashes

I have had numerous requests for copies of the DVD that was played during Bikedog's Memorial Party on Saturday. The DVD is approximately 60 minutes long and contains a sampling of the things he loved in life. I will be happy to make a copy and send it to you for a minimum $10 donation to Jerry's memorial fund for the benefit of his daughter, Danielle. Please send a check to the following address made out to the "Gradisher Memorial".

Doug Dittrich

7996 Grado El Tupelo

Carlsbad, CA 92009

Thank you,

Howling Wolf

There is a travelling cache, The Postcard Cache, making its rounds in San Diego. Essentially, the finder takes the cache; hides it somewhere, and emails the owner with the new coords.

Needless to say it can get a bit frustrating for those attempting to locate the cache only to find it has been picked up.

The owner has said the locals can agree not to move it for a few days. So, I propose we not move the cache on odd-numbered days. Of course, not everyone reads the forums or reads all the logs, but we can deal with that. 6 of the last 7 finders have visited the forums.

Motion made; discussion or second the motion?

There is a travelling cache, The Postcard Cache, making its rounds in San Diego. Essentially, the finder takes the cache; hides it somewhere, and emails the owner with the new coords.

Needless to say it can get a bit frustrating for those attempting to locate the cache only to find it has been picked up.

The owner has said the locals can agree not to move it for a few days. So, I propose we not move the cache on odd-numbered days. Of course, not everyone reads the forums or reads all the logs, but we can deal with that. 6 of the last 7 finders have visited the forums.

I second the motion! :)

There is a travelling cache, The Postcard Cache, making its rounds in San Diego.  Essentially, the finder takes the cache; hides it somewhere, and emails the owner with the new coords.

The owner has said the locals can agree not to move it for a few days.  So, I propose we not move the cache on odd-numbered days.  Of course, not everyone reads the forums or reads all the logs, but we can deal with that.  6 of the last 7 finders have visited the forums.

I second the motion! :D

And I motion that people quit posting notes on the cache page...counted seven (not counting the owners notes) since it was last logged all about moving and placing and disabling... :) yikes!

"this needs to be moved when found"...

"Remember though, part of the fun is trying to be a first finder before it is moved to a different location."...

~Jess (and yes, I realize we got the handoff on this cache from FlagMan but I had to go all the way to NY and NJ to get it with him!!)

:D

Edited by John&Jess