07058834-0ce7-417b-b1ad-87fc4089e8ef.jpg

Any Suggestions for a Cache Name?

Bikedog Memorial Cache?

Bikedog Rides On?

Others?

Thanks,

Rocket Man

Thanks Dave, this is an awesome idea.

I vote for "Its all good" Bikedog Memorial cache. This was one of his favorite sayings.

Howling Wolf

Here is the ammo can for the CO Bikedog Memorial Cache:

Bikedog Memorial Cache?

Bikedog Rides On?

Others?

Thanks,

Rocket Man

I vote for "Its all good" Bikedog Memorial cache. This was one of his favorite sayings.

Howling Wolf

That was a timely response Doug. I just got through hidding the cache and I am ready to name it. "It's All Good" Bikedog Memorial Cache will be the name. I will post it here when it gets listed. Thanks, Dave

Bikedog Memorial Cache?

Bikedog Rides On?

Others?

Thanks,

Rocket Man

Howling Wolf

That was a timely response Doug. I just got through hidding the cache and I am ready to name it. "It's All Good" Bikedog Memorial Cache will be the name. I will post it here when it gets listed. Thanks, Dave

A memorial cache is a great idea! I wish I could have meet him. It is good to remember!

Adelos

Here is a brief update. There is a bikedog wake planned for Saturday January 21st at 1pm in Elfin Forest (close to Escondido and San Marcos). Directions will follow later this week.

A memorial trust account is being set up at a local financial institution where donations will be accepted for his 13 year old daughter's benefit. Again details will follow once it is set up.

His wife, Nancy, has been blown away by your collective outpouring of prayers and well wishes.

Thanks to Rocket Man for placing the "Its All Good" Bikedog Memorial Cache in Colorado today.

Thanks to Caching Widow for creating the Bikedog memorial coin, it looks great.

Howling Wolf

Bikedog Memorial Cache?

Bikedog Rides On?

Others?

Thanks,

Rocket Man

Howling Wolf

Awesome!

Nice job done Dave! :laughing: I was thinking of places around here that would be good spots for a memorial cache. I'm thinking on the top of Bernardo Mountain. Once the mitigation period is over that would be a good prominent spot for a memorial cache!

Someone just logged FTF on the Bikedog cache. It was approved at 2:00 am (CO admin must be dedicated) and the person that just logged it mentioned seeing the sunrise, so they must have been early.

I think that if you can get a cache approved on Bernardo Mountain, that would be a great spot since Bikedog and Howling Wolf had the original cache up there.

Dave

If you would like to attend Bikedog's Memorial Party (and yes it will be memorable!), please send me an email (howling.wolf@sbcglobal.net) and I will send you an evite with the details. It is scheduled for next Saturday the 21st at 1pm in Elfin Forest.

Doug Dittrich (Howling Wolf)

Edited by Howling Wolf
If you would like to attend Bikedog's Memorial Party (and yes it will be memorable!), please send me an email (howling.wolf@sbcglobal.net) and I will send you an evite with the details.  It is scheduled for next Saturday the 21st at 1pm in Elfin Forest.

Doug Dittrich (Howling Wolf)

Sadly, we will not be able to attend the Memorial Party but will be there in spirit. I feel so fortunate to have met up with Jerry in the field a number of times over the past several years. His upbeat spirit and infectious smile were his ever present signature. Little could I imagine that the moment he handed me one of his new smashed pennys after sharing a find at the Sutherland Dam cache (GCR4FX) following the Black Canyon CITO event would be the last I would see him. Yesterday, Ruscal and I shared humerous Bikedog stories along the way during our long Palo Verde/Pyramid Peak hike. Guess I will have to let that conversation serve as a Gecko-form of memorial event. Bless you, Jerry, for brightening our lives. And bless your family in the weeks and months to come.

-Gecko Dad

Well, Happy Cache-iversary to Me!

I can't believe it's been a whole year since my brother said, "Have you ever heard of geocaching?" I replied in the negative, he told me what it was, pulled out a cache page and sat photo, and we found Spooky Hill.

My life hasn't been the same since. I've met wonderful people, corresponded with more of the same, been to places I never knew existed, learned how frustrating puzzles can be, learned how much fun frustrating others can be, improved my health, got on the local news, and finally found a reason to put the QDmobile in 4WD mode.

I can't wait to see what the next year has in store. Thanks, everybody! :)

I can't believe it's been a whole year since my brother said, "Have you ever heard of geocaching?" I replied in the negative, he told me what it was, pulled out a cache page and sat photo, and we found Spooky Hill.

My life hasn't been the same since. I've met wonderful people, corresponded with more of the same, been to places I never knew existed, learned how frustrating puzzles can be, learned how much fun frustrating others can be, improved my health, got on the local news, and finally found a reason to put the QDmobile in 4WD mode.

I can't wait to see what the next year has in store. Thanks, everybody! :)

I remember my first year. I did 300 caches and was so proud of that! Congrats on the 460 in the first year. You will probably double that this year now that you know what you are doing!

I can't wait to see what the next year has in store. Thanks, everybody! :lol:

Happy Anniversary QDMan! :) I am right behind you.. well, a few months anyway.

Adelos

Ok San Diego cachers!

I just made a visit to a local K-Nic cache, and scored an FTF.

Now, although that was fun, it was no reason to make an announcement here. :grin:

However, while I was there, I left behind an honest-to-goodness, Version 3 Moun10Bike coin! Yes, it is really there, for now at least.

I attached a tag to it, requesting that it be kept in San Diego county. I thought it would be fun to try and keep it in play for a while.

For anyone that wants to watch it, here is the TB#, TBNTA4.

Add it to your watchlist, and let the games begin!

Hi all! Kawikaturn just gave us a phone call and gave us the news about Bikedog, which we hadn't heard yet. Our condolences to all Geocachers for the loss of a brother.

But, Dave also asked us to post our newest news, which is our new Geocacher, Flutter. Flutter (Who's given name is Cian) was born on December 19, 2005 at 7:32am. We finally got back out on the trails for a couple finds the other day with him. You can see his first "Out of Womb" cache find and a picture of him releasing his first TB at:

Roller Coaster Hill

Here is a picture of Flutter hanging out with some wildlife!

Congrats to QDman. We only had about 140 finds at our 1 year ann, and we aren't much farther along as of now!

Hope everyone is doing well. We don't get to the Forums very often, but will try to stop by a little more often and keep in touch. See you on the trails!

Hi all! Kawikaturn just gave us a phone call and gave us the news about Bikedog, which we hadn't heard yet. Our condolences to all Geocachers for the loss of a brother.

But, Dave also asked us to post our newest news, which is our new Geocacher, Flutter. Flutter (Who's given name is Cian) was born on December 19, 2005 at 7:32am. We finally got back out on the trails for a couple finds the other day with him. You can see his first "Out of Womb" cache find and a picture of him releasing his first TB at:

Roller Coaster Hill

Congrats to QDman. We only had about 140 finds at our 1 year ann, and we aren't much farther along as of now!

Hope everyone is doing well. We don't get to the Forums very often, but will try to stop by a little more often and keep in touch. See you on the trails!

Hey, I recognize that! :lol:

Do you know where that wildlife has been?!? :lol:

Pretty cute! (Flutter not the squirrel!) :grin:

Ok San Diego cachers!

I just made a visit to a local K-Nic cache, and scored an FTF.

Now, although that was fun, it was no reason to make an announcement here. :grin:

However, while I was there, I left behind an honest-to-goodness, Version 3 Moun10Bike coin! Yes, it is really there, for now at least.

I attached a tag to it, requesting that it be kept in San Diego county. I thought it would be fun to try and keep it in play for a while.

For anyone that wants to watch it, here is the TB#, TBNTA4.

Add it to your watchlist, and let the games begin!

Well, that didn't take long! :lol:

John&Jess made the grab, but keep your eyes open, I'm sure it will be back in circulation soon!

For those that might be interested in Space/Rockets, we have a very important launch scheduled for tomorrow. We will be launching NASAs New Horizons spacecraft form Cape Canaveral tomorrow (hopefully) on its way to Pluto. This is the first ever mission to Pluto, our farthest planet. Here are some interesting facts:

- This will be the the most powerful Atlas rocket ever launched employing 5 "strap on" solid rocket motors.

- The New Horizons spacecraft will be the fastest thing to ever leave the earth, traveling at 36,000 miles per hour. It will pass the moon in 9 hours (It took Apollo 3 days).

- It will take New Horizons 9 years to get to Pluto at a distance of 3.1 billion miles.

- New Horizons will have to "slingshot" around Jupiter to get the extra speed to make it to Pluto in 9 years.

- The spacecraft will have a 5 month fly-by of Pluto, taking data on the way past. It won't have enough energy to go into orbit around Pluto.

- After leaving Pluto, the spacecraft will explore Kuiper Belt beyond Pluto.

You can read details of the mission here starting on page 4. If you are interested in the launch, you can read the Mission Status here. And if you want to watch the launch live, you can do so here (click on the "View Webcast" button on the right side of the page). The launch window opens up around 10:24 am and closes around 12:24 pm Pacific Time.

Go Atlas - Go Centaur

Edit: There is a lot of good stuff on the NASA Page also.

And, don't forget to check out Tiffany Nail. :grin:

Edited by RocketMan
For those that might be interested in Space/Rockets, we have a very important launch scheduled for tomorrow.  We will be launching NASAs New Horizons spacecraft form Cape Canaveral tomorrow (hopefully) on its way to Pluto.  This is the first ever mission to Pluto, our farthest planet.  Here are some interesting facts:

- This will be the the most powerful Atlas rocket ever launched employing 5 "strap on" solid rocket motors.

- The New Horizons spacecraft will be the fastest thing to ever leave the earth, traveling at 36,000 miles per hour.  It will pass the moon in 9 hours (It took Apollo 3 days).

- It will take New Horizons 9 years to get to Pluto at a distance of 3.1 billion miles.

- New Horizons will have to "slingshot" around Jupiter to get the extra speed to make it to Pluto in 9 years.

- The spacecraft will have a 5 month fly-by of Pluto, taking data on the way past.  It won't have enough energy to go into orbit around Pluto. 

- After leaving Pluto, the spacecraft will explore Kuiper Belt beyond Pluto.

You can read details of the mission here starting on page 4.  If you are interested in the launch, you can read the Mission Status here.  And if you want to watch the launch live, you can do so here (click on the "View Webcast" button on the right side of the page).  The launch window opens up around 10:24 am and closes around 12:24 pm Pacific Time.

Go Atlas - Go Centaur

Edit:  There is a lot of good stuff on the NASA Page also.

Thanks for sharing that Dave! Unfortunately, I won't get to watch the launch tomorrow but look forward to reading about it's progress. It gives you an idea how vast our solar system is when you know that Pluto is ~8700 times farther away than the moon! :grin:

Edited by TrailGators
...It will pass the moon in 9 hours (It took Apollo 3 days).

OK, that's fast!

Congrats, Flutterbyes, beautiful little neocacher you got there.

Thanks, everybody. I couldn't have done it without you...unless I placed caches and then went out to find them. Hey, I could probably cut my DNF's in half that way! :grin:

Roller Coaster Hill

We think it's great that Flutter's first cache was ours! :lol:

Congratuations on the new addition! By the way, we've seen that wildlife too! (After our 3rd visit. :grin: )

May your new bundle of joy bring many years of happiness! And of course the fun stuff.... artwork for the fridge, 3 a.m. wake ups on Christmas morning, report cards......and the graduations, preschool, jr. high and high school....it all goes SO fast!

On another note:

With the recent burst of new caches in San Pasqual Valley, it's been great fun to see the FTF flury.....some hard core cachers out there. Some logs posted at 2 a.m. in the morning! I most enjoyed reading D-Jollyman's posts.....had to have a desginated driver take him.....wow! That is true love!

On another note:

With the recent burst of new caches in San Pasqual Valley, it's been great fun to see the FTF flury.....some hard core cachers out there. Some logs posted at 2 a.m. in the morning! I most enjoyed reading D-Jollyman's posts.....had to have a desginated driver take him.....wow! That is true love!

I thought about joining in the search last night as well but common sense and work this morning kept me away. After reading about the mud involved in the other caches, I know I made the right choice. :grin:

On another note:

With the recent burst of new caches in San Pasqual Valley, it's been great fun to see the FTF flury.....some hard core cachers out there.  Some logs posted at 2 a.m. in the morning!  I most enjoyed reading D-Jollyman's posts.....had to have a desginated driver take him.....wow!  That is true love!

I thought about joining in the search last night as well but common sense and work this morning kept me away. After reading about the mud involved in the other caches, I know I made the right choice. :grin:

I guess that answers my question.... I was pretty sure that it was a swamp down in there. I guess some of us didn't get to play in the mud enough when we were kids! :lol: Now, I will have to go up into the attic to find my knee high LaCrosse outdoorsman boots!

Edited by TrailGators

I can't wait to see what the next year has in store. Thanks, everybody!  :lol:

QD,

Congrats!

Actually, I'm coming up on my anniversary, too.

On February 9 it will be 4 years that I've been caching. I went to a couple caches in Escondido that are now disabled (the first was Barking Cache in the dog park), then went out to Vista to find the Arroyo Vista caches. Thanks to David K, some of these are still active. Tuna was the first out there, and RocketMan, bikedog, vagabond, and some other folks I know were there before me. However, many of the other early people never seemed to have cached much again.

More than half the caches I found in my first year are now archived. I'd like to say the quality of the caches has improved... I'd like to say that. :lol:

Who invented the lamp-skirt cache hide anyway. :grin:

Parsa

I got this from Fkrexcal and had to share. This was in Popular Mechanics in 1954. I guess that steering wheel thing is so you can drive to geocaches while on the computer. Or maybe it is for those modern computer games. <_<

eaa6552e-48f1-444f-aa17-3fbd5aced7c1.jpg

Hmmmmm.... Bears very little resemblance to my laptop....

On another note:

With the recent burst of new caches in San Pasqual Valley, it's been great fun to see the FTF flury.....some hard core cachers out there.  Some logs posted at 2 a.m. in the morning!  I most enjoyed reading D-Jollyman's posts.....had to have a desginated driver take him.....wow!  That is true love!

I thought about joining in the search last night as well but common sense and work this morning kept me away. After reading about the mud involved in the other caches, I know I made the right choice. :P

What is this "common sense" of which you speak? :D<_<:blink:

D!

Who invented the lamp-skirt cache hide anyway.  <_<

The first time I found a lamp-skirt cache, I thought "How cool is this?" Needless to say, it didn't take long for the thrill to wear off (but then again, I still go after them...)

I call this the "Buffalo Effect". Here's how it works: You are driving your car in South Dakota for the first time. It isn't long before you see a buffalo beside the road. You slam on the brakes, stop the car, grab the camera and shoot 50 frames in about 30 seconds. 48 hours later, having passed approximately 47,000 more buffalo, your reaction varies from boredom to out-and-out anger (because some idiot in front of you has just slammed on his brakes with no warning.) In Hawaii, this is also known as the "Cattle Egret Effect".

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
Who invented the lamp-skirt cache hide anyway.  :blink:

The first time I found a lamp-skirt cache, I thought "How cool is this?" Needless to say, it didn't take long for the thrill to wear off (but then again, I still go after them...)

I call this the "Buffalo Effect". Here's how it works: You are driving your car in South Dakota for the first time. It isn't long before you see a buffalo beside the road. You slam on the brakes, stop the car, grab the camera and shoot 50 frames in about 30 seconds. 48 hours later, having passed approximately 47,000 more buffalo, your reaction varies from boredom to out-and-out anger (because some idiot in front of you has just slammed on his brakes with no warning.) In Hawaii, this is also known as the "Cattle Egret Effect".

We've got the same thing at the zoo, the Peacock Effect. The Peacocks are allowed to wander the zoo grounds, they pick up spilled popcorn, create a crowd in front of my bus... It's like people have never seen those nasty birds before. Oh, sure, they look pretty... <_<

"With teletype interface and the Fortran language, the computer will be easy to use."

Which 1954 geek wrote THIS? :blink: Fortran easy to use??? :P I did teach it years ago but I would have never described it as an easy language to use.

Anyone care to predict the future of computers (or even geocaching) in another 50 years? (I'm sure it will be just as amusing) <_<

Edited by princess toadstool
"With teletype interface and the Fortran language, the comptuer will be easy to use."

Which 1954 geek wrote THIS? :blink: Fortran easy to use??? :P I did teach it yeasr ago but I would have never described it as an easy language to use.

Anyone care to predict the future of computers (or even geocaching) in another 50 years? (I'm sure it will be just as amusing) <_<

Hey! I took Fortran when I was a freshmen in college!

I was thinking the same thing about computers 50 years from now! :D

I got this from Fkrexcal and had to share.  This was in Popular Mechanics in 1954.  I guess that steering wheel thing is so you can drive to geocaches while on the computer.  Or maybe it is for those modern computer games.  <_<

eaa6552e-48f1-444f-aa17-3fbd5aced7c1.jpg

It's a hoax folks - sort of. See here for the whole story.

It was an altered photo entered in a contest. See the other contestants.

I like this entry:

onoff.jpg

Anyone care to predict the future of ... geocaching in another 50 years?

My prediction...

There will be massive collisions of hover cars driven by FTF-crazed geocachers. Cachers will complain in their log entries that the cache was 234.8mm away from the listed coordinates. ToyotaJeep Inc. will have a contest where you submit holo-vids of Aquamarine HoverJeep Travel Bugs. The release of the Alpha Centauri geocoin (500 in gold-pressed latinum and 25 in unobtainium) will sell out in 9.045 nano-seconds. Flagman will publish a puzzle cache that requires demodulating the subspace particle-wave emissions of gravitons. And new cachers will be hiding caches under lamp-skirts.