The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I just noticed that my hiking boots are starting to fall apart again. So do any of you guys have any recommendations hiking boots for moderate trails and a place to get a good deal on them?

This is what Santa Claus got me:

694876_1184Lrg.JPG

Apparently, he has some helpers at REI !!!

So when the boots wear out, do you get to take them back & get new ones for free?? B)B)

B)

Edit to add appropriate quote.

Edited by Miragee
Anyone else having problems viewing the pictures on puzzle cache webpages? I have at least two new puzzles, You In and International Dog and Bone, that I cannot view the pictures. This makes solving the puzzle impossible. I see that both have the pictures on a website other than GC.com. I am using Internet Explorer and hitting refresh multiple times, but no luck. I only accidently discovered that there are pictures on either of these pages. Until I figured out there was a problem, I was staring at blank pages and wondering how everyone else was solving them.

Maybe everyone can post the pictures on the webpage itself?

I put in a link to the puzzle just in case the image doesn't show up.

D!

I'm still waiting for the full report also. He seems reluctant to talk about the details. He's sleeping it off today. I picked up some Vicodan for the pain, which seems pretty bad. Although, he IS a man so it may not be that bad.

As for electronics, I think his cell phone is toast, and I haven't seen his GPS around either.

I think the worst part for PW was when PW Son saw the bandages and was a little sacred to hug him. I think I need to make him and DJ a "Victim of Addiction" shirts.

Didn't someone start a forum for war wounds? B) Lets see: TT, Harmon, DJ & PW. Who else? B) And would you quit it!?!?!?! B)

BTW, you're going to have to sell an awful lot of shirts & coins to pay for his new electronics. :DB)

My injuries happened on New Years Eve out in the desert going after a Kawikaturn cache.

I was on my dirt bike riding towards the cache when I was egged on to ride a willy. I overachieved this and had to seperate myself from my bike which was about to flip out of control. I landed on the ground and slid at the speed of 30-40 mph. My knee guards didnt really help too much. I had scrapes and a busted lip. My bike suffered worse damage. At least $100 in repairs. Busted Headlight, broken odometer and busted rear wheel well plastic.

Mini Stonehenge

Anyone else having problems viewing the pictures on puzzle cache webpages? I have at least two new puzzles, You In and International Dog and Bone, that I cannot view the pictures. This makes solving the puzzle impossible. I see that both have the pictures on a website other than GC.com. I am using Internet Explorer and hitting refresh multiple times, but no luck. I only accidently discovered that there are pictures on either of these pages. Until I figured out there was a problem, I was staring at blank pages and wondering how everyone else was solving them.

Maybe everyone can post the pictures on the webpage itself?

Isn't this issue due to the fact that it is a Premium Member cache so you have to be logged in to view it?

I think it might be happening only, or mostly to caches that have pictures on servers other than GC, Harmon. Whatever the cause, it sure complicates those puzzles. At least . . . that is my current excuse. :lol:

I just noticed that my hiking boots are starting to fall apart again. So do any of you guys have any recommendations hiking boots for moderate trails and a place to get a good deal on them?

I picked up a pair of North Lake Gortex hiking boots a year ago that I love. They were comfortable out of the box and the only time my feet got wet were when I wore them in water up to my waist :lol:

I picked up a pair of North Lake Gortex hiking boots a year ago that I love. They were comfortable out of the box and the only time my feet got wet were when I wore them in water up to my waist ;)

I was there when he did it, and he still tried to convince us his feet were dry! :lol:

The timing couldn't be worse for joking around about underground tunnels, given the horrific events in West Virginia.  My heart goes out to those poor families and all they went through the last several days.

I had heard 12 of 13 had survived last night on the news and had not heard the tragic update until this morning: "Joy gave way to grief and anger on Wednesday when a West Virginia coal town learned that 12 of 13 miners trapped in a mine explosion had died, three hours after friends and family were mistakenly told that all but one had survived." I'll be sure to say a prayer for those families....

Edited by TrailGators
The timing couldn't be worse for joking around about underground tunnels, given the horrific events in West Virginia.  My heart goes out to those poor families and all they went through the last several days.

I had heard 12 of 13 had survived last night on the news and had not heard the tragic update until this morning: "Joy gave way to grief and anger on Wednesday when a West Virginia coal town learned that 12 of 13 miners trapped in a mine explosion had died, three hours after friends and family were mistakenly told that all but one had survived." I'll be sure to say a prayer for those families....

It is so very sad.......

<snip>

Were PW and D-J actually in that small tube when they got whisked away?!?

I seriously doubt they were that far when they got into trouble. Tom is in a side tunnel that takes in street water from 1 or 2 gutter inlets. The main tunnel is the diverted Cypress Canyon creek so I assume it carries most of the water.

Weather for the next 10 days look good to go so have at!

The timing couldn't be worse for joking around about underground tunnels, given the horrific events in West Virginia. My heart goes out to those poor families and all they went through the last several days.

That was an incredible tradgedy, and a completely bewildering example of miscommunitcation. I truly feel for the families that are affected by this.

However, I don't think our discussions here are in any way making light of the situation there. Forutunately, our story here had a happy ending. I didn't realize until I just heard from Jason how closely we came to a tragic end to our story here. I am going to edit my other post in deference to them. The experience is still to fresh in their minds to see any humor in it.

That was an incredible tradgedy, and a completely bewildering example of miscommunitcation. I truly feel for the families that are affected by this.

However, I don't think our discussions here are in any way making light of the situation there. Forutunately, our story here had a happy ending. I didn't realize until I just heard from Jason how closely we came to a tragic end to our story here. I am going to edit my other post in deference to them. The experience is still to fresh in their minds to see any humor in it.

I am so glad they are alive!!!! I went and looked at the start of the tunnel on Monday and the water was just pouring out of there......How are PW and D-J doing?

Someone needs to go out and find Energy Ridge (GCRV44). It is bugging me that there is no FTF yet. It is almost getting to me enough to go out there after work one night to get it. :rolleyes: Once the FTF is taken care of, I can take my time to go get it. (although not too long since it is now closest cache to my house that I still need to find)

Someone needs to go out and find Energy Ridge (GCRV44). It is bugging me that there is no FTF yet. It is almost getting to me enough to go out there after work one night to get it. :rolleyes: Once the FTF is taken care of, I can take my time to go get it. (although not too long since it is now closest cache to my house that I still need to find)

I'm resisting FTF Fever - it's my only New Year's Resolution :)

I'm resisting FTF Fever - it's my only New Year's Resolution :)

Its been found by Cegrube today.

<snip>

I went and looked at the start of the tunnel on Monday and the water was just pouring out of there......How are PW and D-J doing?

PassingWind just emailed me back. It sounds like he's a bit shaken-up and scared after his ride. Injuries were (limited to) serious bruising, 10 stitches and a very bad swollen ankle. D-Jollymon came away better with bruising though I haven't heard from him directly.

All in all, it sounds like the injuries will heal with time

<snip>

I went and looked at the start of the tunnel on Monday and the water was just pouring out of there......How are PW and D-J doing?

PassingWind just emailed me back. It sounds like he's a bit shaken-up and scared after his ride. Injuries were (limited to) serious bruising, 10 stitches and a very bad swollen ankle. D-Jollymon came away better with bruising though I haven't heard from him directly.

All in all, it sounds like the injuries will heal with time

Thank you Dan-oh for letting us know. I will continue to keep them in my prayers.

So Caching Widow,

Are you saying he has a pain in the arse or are you saying he is a pain in the...? 

Yes. And yes.

The bruises on his avatar are an understatement. He looks and feels like he's been in a car accident. I don't think he'll be able to walk normal for two weeks and he's gonna have a wicked scar on his shin. He had to drive my mom-mobile to work today because he can't use his left leg to shift his manual truck without crying. You can definitely tell when his pain meds are wearing off. He was up 1.5 hours in the middle of the night waiting for the new dose to kick in so he could get back to sleep.

I told him if he ever does anthing this stupid again, I'm going to have to clip his wings. I think this lesson may actually sink in this time.

D-Jollymon has a pain in the arse too, but I'll let him post his own pix. :rolleyes:

Edited by Caching Widow
So Caching Widow,

Are you saying he has a pain in the arse or are you saying he is a pain in the...? 

Yes. And yes.

The bruises on his avatar are an understatement. He looks and feels like he's been in a car accident. I don't think he'll be able to walk normal for two weeks and he's gonna have a wicked scar on his shin. He had to drive my mom-mobile to work today because he can't use his left leg to shift his manual truck without crying. You can definitely tell when his pain meds are wearing off. He was up 1.5 hours in the middle of the night waiting for the new dose to kick in so he could get back to sleep.

I told him if he ever does anthing this stupid again, I'm going to have to clip his wings. I think this lesson may actually sink in this time.

D-Jollymon has a pain in the arse too, but I'll let him post his own pix. :laughing:

I have a booty shot but I'm not going to but it on the thread....i'll put it on my profile page if anyone wants to check it out.

So Caching Widow,

Yes. And yes.

D-Jollymon has a pain in the arse too, but I'll let him post his own pix. :laughing:

I have a booty shot but I'm not going to but it on the thread....i'll put it on my profile page if anyone wants to check it out.

TMI! But looks like some serious pain! :unsure:

How far did you guys travel backwards or down?

Edited by TrailGators
So Caching Widow,

Yes. And yes.

TMI! But looks like some serious pain! :unsure:

Gory details dang it!

So Caching Widow,

Yes. And yes.

D-Jollymon has a pain in the arse too, but I'll let him post his own pix. :(

Aw crap! Now I'll never get that image out of my head! :(

You know what they say about curiousity! Why did I look! :(

By the way Dave, what are you holding? :blink:

<snip>

Yeeeouch! Reminds me of Niedermeyer's hazing techniques: "Thank you sir, may I have another...."

Edited by FlagMan

Yikes! Just got back to NJ and see the accidents galore in the forums.

God speed for a quick and painless recovery to Dave and Jason.

Is it me, or does SD seem to have its disproportionate share of really bad accidents? Are we all just that clumsy/intrepid/idiotic and/or are the hides getting exceedingly more brutal?

I don't see the OC or anywhere else really having the per capita accident rate with caching that SD does.

ANd thanks to all who came to the event on the 30th. Made my short stay in SD that much better to run into all you guys again.

Hope to be back out again soon!

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen
So Caching Widow,

Yes. And yes.

TMI! But looks like some serious pain! :blink:

Gory details dang it!

We got to the creek and it was roaring down the hill as the water hit the rocks that were cemented into the wash to slow the flow down. We couldn't cross because of the force of the water so we crossed above the entrance and came down the other side where we could wade to the tunnel as the water was slower. Once inside it was slow going as we were walking as high on the right side as we could without slipping. My left foot would be a bit lower than the right to provide stability on during the walk up. We came to the first area that had side tunnels dumping water into the main one. The water was coming in with such a rush that we had to jump across the fast moving water in the tunnel to get by the incoming side rush. This happened every side spot we hit.

We got all the way up to the area where we were to go up the side entrance and the flow was VERY heavy now and seemed to be getting worse. I waded across the massive flow and PW jumped and made it up to the square area. I didn't want some of the electronics I had in my jacket pocket to get wet so I put them in my backpack as I waited in the center rush of the water.

All of a sudden both of my feet began to slip, ever so slightly. I tried to bear down and get a better grip somehow but I started to slide even more. I was trying to slide/walk to the side and get up on the wall but it was to late. The creek had me and there was nothing I could do. I fell into the water with my GPSr and digital camera in my Gortex rain jacket and my backpack over one shoulder. I tried to put the backpack on but it was useless. I had my headlamp on me and my 1million candlelight flashlight in my hand as I sped down the 2-3 feet deep ride of terror. Every side tunnel I passed I had to hold my breath as massive amounts of water were spewing into the tunnel. I lost my headlamp and let go of the big flashlight so I could try and grab something. The lights floated down ahead of me...illuminating my watery nightmare. I choked on the water coming from the sides and tried to see what was coming up. I sped through the 1/4 mile of tunnel quickly and was thinking I could try and stop at the end.

I saw the entrance getting bigger and bigger.

The rocks came quickly as I exited the tunnel. I don't remember much of the last deadly 200 yards. This is where we should have been knocked unconcious. I can't get to sleep at night because I think of what could have happened. The rocks flipped me but somehow I managed to keep my head from hitting them. My breath was knocked out and I wondered how long it would be until I felt one of my extremities break. The rocks stopped making impact with my body as I go to the bottom of the creek where it was deeper. I couldn't move my legs in the deeper water so I used my arms to swim to the reeds that lined the stream. Barely able to grip the plants, I managed to pull my self up on the floating debris and crawl over to the cement side. Laying there in so much pain I could barley move. I had no idea where PW was but as I looked up he was 10 yards away with a bloody nose and laying on the ground as I was. He had a nasty slice in his shin.

I tried to move my arms and legs. The arms were fine but my hands/fingers were cramped/frozen from trying to stop myself in the tunnel.

We exited the creek where the fence ends and slowly made our way up the hill. PW had lost a boot, I had lost my backpack with wallet, Palm, TB's, other flashlight, keys to truck and my shorts. I could barely move up the hill in my boxers.

PW gave me a ride home in the back of his Xterra as I was wet and couldn't sit down. I just rolled myself into a ball to try to keep warm and ward off the shivers.

I went to the Emergency Room that night and passed out in the waiting area. Finally got to see the doc just before midnight. He gave me some med's for the night. Went back to the hospital the next morning and got my Tetnus shot and more meds.

Not a fun time for me....or PW.

So Caching Widow,

Yes. And yes.

TMI! But looks like some serious pain! :blink:

Gory details dang it!

We got to the creek and it was roaring down the hill as the water hit the rocks that were cemented into the wash to slow the flow down. We couldn't cross because of the force of the water so we crossed above the entrance and came down the other side where we could wade to the tunnel as the water was slower. Once inside it was slow going as we were walking as high on the right side as we could without slipping. My left foot would be a bit lower than the right to provide stability on during the walk up. We came to the first area that had side tunnels dumping water into the main one. The water was coming in with such a rush that we had to jump across the fast moving water in the tunnel to get by the incoming side rush. This happened every side spot we hit.

We got all the way up to the area where we were to go up the side entrance and the flow was VERY heavy now and seemed to be getting worse. I waded across the massive flow and PW jumped and made it up to the square area. I didn't want some of the electronics I had in my jacket pocket to get wet so I put them in my backpack as I waited in the center rush of the water.

All of a sudden both of my feet began to slip, ever so slightly. I tried to bear down and get a better grip somehow but I started to slide even more. I was trying to slide/walk to the side and get up on the wall but it was to late. The creek had me and there was nothing I could do. I fell into the water with my GPSr and digital camera in my Gortex rain jacket and my backpack over one shoulder. I tried to put the backpack on but it was useless. I had my headlamp on me and my 1million candlelight flashlight in my hand as I sped down the 2-3 feet deep ride of terror. Every side tunnel I passed I had to hold my breath as massive amounts of water were spewing into the tunnel. I lost my headlamp and let go of the big flashlight so I could try and grab something. The lights floated down ahead of me...illuminating my watery nightmare. I choked on the water coming from the sides and tried to see what was coming up. I sped through the 1/4 mile of tunnel quickly and was thinking I could try and stop at the end.

I saw the entrance getting bigger and bigger.

The rocks came quickly as I exited the tunnel. I don't remember much of the last deadly 200 yards. This is where we should have been knocked unconcious. I can't get to sleep at night because I think of what could have happened. The rocks flipped me but somehow I managed to keep my head from hitting them. My breath was knocked out and I wondered how long it would be until I felt one of my extremities break. The rocks stopped making impact with my body as I go to the bottom of the creek where it was deeper. I couldn't move my legs in the deeper water so I used my arms to swim to the reeds that lined the stream. Barely able to grip the plants, I managed to pull my self up on the floating debris and crawl over to the cement side. Laying there in so much pain I could barley move. I had no idea where PW was but as I looked up he was 10 yards away with a bloody nose and laying on the ground as I was. He had a nasty slice in his shin.

I tried to move my arms and legs. The arms were fine but my hands/fingers were cramped/frozen from trying to stop myself in the tunnel.

We exited the creek where the fence ends and slowly made our way up the hill. PW had lost a boot, I had lost my backpack with wallet, Palm, TB's, other flashlight, keys to truck and my shorts. I could barely move up the hill in my boxers.

PW gave me a ride home in the back of his Xterra as I was wet and couldn't sit down. I just rolled myself into a ball to try to keep warm and ward off the shivers.

I went to the Emergency Room that night and passed out in the waiting area. Finally got to see the doc just before midnight. He gave me some med's for the night. Went back to the hospital the next morning and got my Tetnus shot and more meds.

Not a fun time for me....or PW.

Wow, Dave, that is really unbelievable.

In all seriousness, I am really glad you both made it out ok. It could have been so much worse.

Aw crap! Now I'll never get that image out of my head!  ;)

After looking at that, I had to immediately look at another image that RocketMan sent me yesterday to re-burn the memory cells in my brain with a much better image! :(

Send me the picture! Quick! :blink:

I sent it to you....now post that one on your profile page! :(

The Simpsons will never be quite the same! :(

Edited by TrailGators

D-Jollymon,

We are all so very grateful that you and hopefully your adventurous sidekick are able to write about your frightening experience. It's good to know that both of you are already getting better and feeling better.

Next chance y' get, don't do that again o.k.? Memorial caches are nice but you two guys are way too young for that.

Hug and kiss your sweet bride and lovely children and tell them that you love them more than anything else. Just accept the fact that you can never, ever live this one down.

On the other hand all of us macho guys are foolishly envious of the fact that you have so outdone the rest of us for a place in San Diego Geocaching adventure lore. Well, you know, maybe not all that envious. Sure made my silly little broken ankle look like a minor bruise. Thanks a lot fella.

When PW & CW get around to commemorating your wild ride with a Geocoin let me suggest a squashed penny.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
D-Jollymon,

We are all so very grateful that you and hopefully your adventurous sidekick are able to write about your frightening experience. It's good to know that both of you are already getting better and feeling better.

I'll second that motion! Glad you guys are OK!

I'll guarantee that you guys won't do that again....just like I won't ride a skateboard down a really long steep hill again... :blink:

Edited by TrailGators
D-Jollymon,

I'll second that motion! Glad you guys are OK!

I'll guarantee that you guys won't do that again....just like I won't ride a skateboard down a really long steep hill again... :blink:

Hey, you got photos of that accident?