The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Have any of you guys heard of the California DeLorme Challenge?

You basically have to find (or have found) one cache on every page of the DeLorme California Atlas & Gazetteer!

Sounds like a fun challenge! :)

The following states besides California have a similar challenge: Delaware/Maryland, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.

Edited by TrailGators
Have any of you guys heard of the California DeLorme Challenge?

You basically have to find (or have found) one cache on every page of the DeLorme California Atlas & Gazetteer!

Sounds like a fun challenge!  :)

The following states besides California have a similar challenge: Delaware/Maryland, Idaho, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington.

Wow! Moun10Bike did an awesome job on the Washington DeLorme Challenge cache page!

I checked and the California Delorme Challenge is only for Northern California. I don't think there is a Southern California challenge yet. If there isn't I'd be willing to team up with somebody to make one! There are 110 25x35 mile pages in the DeLorme SoCal/Central Cal book. I could just chop it off and only do a 50 cache SoCal challenge and let the Central CA guys do their own challenge....

Edit: I'm contacting Moun10Bike to find out how he made those cluster maps with the DeLorme grids. That is definitely the way to go on this! :)

Edited by TrailGators
I ordered some ammo cans in November but they never turned up. Gah.

If you ever cache in Escondido there is an army surplus store up here that sells ammo boxes for only 5 bucks a pop! :)

Also, 4 bucks in El Cajon.

And in between Escondidon and El Cajon, Industrial Liquidators on Convoy south of Clairmont Mesa Blvd has the narrow ones for $2.99 and the wide ones for $4.99 (though they only had the narrow ones when I visited last week).

-Tony

3.  And this is the most important,,,,TODAY IS SPLASHETTE'S BIRTHDAY!!!!!  LOOKIN' GOOD GIRLFRIEND!

Don't know about #1. I prefer skirts.

Yes, Happy Birthday, Splashette. So are you and $kimmer and Harmon taking a trip to The Womb today in commemoration of #39? :)

-GD

Happy Birthday Splashette, The Womb......do it, do it.

A BIG HAPPY BIRTHDAY SPLASHETTE!!!!!!! :):lol::lol::lol:

Happy Birthday, Janie! Doesn't life just get better and better with more birthdays?! Wish you many happy more!

Robyn & Kathy of Team Reid

OK YOU LONG TIME CACHERS>

I went to log a travel bug that I got yesterday out in the desert......only to find that the last place it was logged was in Del Mar. How do I properly take it and move it to the next place?

1. Go to the travel bug page and grab it.

2. Post a note to the cache page where you found it and drop the bug in the cache.

3. Delete your note on from the cache page (the bug will stay in the cache).

4. Go to the travel bug page and retrieve it from the cache you put it in.

5. Delete the log on the travel bug page where you grabbed it in step 1.

Done

I don't have the story yet but something happened at the new Ghost of Cypress Creek cache. The cache page warns against such things but I think its OK to say it again...stay away from storm drains immediately before and after a rain. I hope the guys are OK.

Dan-oh

January 2 by D-Jollymon (1194 found)

WARNING! Do not attempt this cache today. Due to the rain and a sudden flash flood in the tunnel, two geocachers, D-Jollymon and Passing Wind are hurt. They are both a little banged up and are recovering but should be back soon. Once again, please do not attempt this cache while it is raining.

The cache page warns against such things but I think its OK to say it again...stay away from storm drains immediately before and after a rain

When I saw this cache get published and I read the warning, my first thought was "There seems to be a loophole. It doesn't say anything about staying away during a rain storm."

But I stayed away anyway. I concluded that a loophole was probably not a good place to be during a rainstorm. I may be insane, but I'm not crazy. <_<

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
I don't have the story yet but something happened at the new Ghost of Cypress Creek cache.  The cache page warns against such things but I think its OK to say it again...stay away from storm drains immediately before and after a rain.  I hope the guys are OK.

Dan-oh

WARNING! Do not attempt this cache today. Due to the rain and a sudden flash flood in the tunnel, two geocachers, D-Jollymon and Passing Wind are hurt. They are both a little banged up and are recovering but should be back soon. Once again, please do not attempt this cache while it is raining.

I think D-Jollymon's first line sums it up..."FTF fever beat out common sense". It looks like it took more than a band-aid but no permanent injuries. I'm glad that they're OK

D

Tue, 3 Jan 2006 08:19

Dan,

FTF fever beat out common sense and put Jason and I in the ER. J got

10 stiches, bruised tailbone and swollen ankle. I have a bad gash on my

butt and my hands and legs are beaten pretty bad. I have to go back to

acute care tomorrow morning to see if I need a tetnus shot.

Dang.....PW and I shoulda went to your event and we wouldn't have gotten into

this adventure!! Thanks for checkin up on me. Sorry I didn't get back

sooner but I passed out while waiting in the ER. Dang percocet. Have a

happy New Year!

Dave

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld

I don't have the story yet but something happened at the new Ghost of Cypress Creek cache.  The cache page warns against such things but I think its OK to say it again...stay away from storm drains immediately before and after a rain.  I hope the guys are OK.

Dan-oh

I think D-Jollymon's first line sums it up..."FTF fever beat out common sense". It looks like it took more than a band-aid but no permanent injuries. I'm glad that they're OK

D

Dan,

happy New Year!

Dave

I was hoping no one would try. I went and looked at the start of the tunnel yesterday during the rains and it was just pouring out of the opening. No way to get in that is for sure. I AM GLAD THE GUYS ARE GOING TO BE OK.........thanks Dan-oh for passing this on.

OK YOU LONG TIME CACHERS>

I went to log a travel bug that I got yesterday out in the desert......only to find that the last place it was logged was in Del Mar. How do I properly take it and move it to the next place?

1. Go to the travel bug page and grab it.

2. Post a note to the cache page where you found it and drop the bug in the cache.

3. Delete your note on from the cache page (the bug will stay in the cache).

4. Go to the travel bug page and retrieve it from the cache you put it in.

5. Delete the log on the travel bug page where you grabbed it in step 1.

Done

Thanks Rocketman. I will do that as I want the journey to be there.

Dan-oh

D

Dan,

happy New Year!

Dave

I was hoping no one would try. I went and looked at the start of the tunnel yesterday during the rains and it was just pouring out of the opening. No way to get in that is for sure. I AM GLAD THE GUYS ARE GOING TO BE OK.........thanks Dan-oh for passing this on.

;) Oh My Gosh!!!!! I just cringe to think of this. D-Jollymon Dave, and PW-Jason, I hope you guys are ok. ;)<_<:o Jahoadi and John

;) Oh My Gosh!!!!! I just cringe to think of this.  D-Jollymon Dave, and PW-Jason,  I hope you guys are ok. <_<  :o  ;)  Jahoadi and John

:P I just hate to hear when anybody gets hurt! Get better guys!

After getting an email from PW, and talking with someone that talked to D-Jollymon yesterday, I am really glad that things turned out as well as they did.

It could have been a lot worse. They once again defied Harmon's oft quoted warning on these forums! (Y'all gonna die!) :P

I'm glad you guys are safe! Get well soon, we have a Moun10Bike coin to place ya know! :P

Dan-oh

D

Dan,

happy New Year!

Dave

36412537-b2f8-45f4-b275-fc10eb89467b.jpg

That's it gang, no more messing around in flash floods. Hate to think that we'd have to send the B.R.A. forensic team out for one or more of our own kind.

Still inquiring minds want more gory details about the incident; for example, are your GPS receivers and PDAs o.k.? ... and what about the container and logbook for cryin' out loud? Don't suppose y' took photos during the incident did y'?

From now on all of you young whipper-snappers behave, y' hear? Lordy, this is a major setback in your marital relations too. Wives never ever let you off the hook for a corker like this one. Mmm, mm, mmh.

Just don't forget that there's only two things you can say to your sweet bride right now that won't get you into some sort of trouble - "Yes dear," and "Navajo White."

Did y' learn anything?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

(Dan-oh @ Jan 3 2006, 05:09 AM)

(Dan-oh @ Jan 2 2006, 07:52 PM)

Dan-oh

D

•••••••••••••••••••••••••

Well, thankfully I didn't live up to my handle yesterday. PW got quite a scare. I think he's learned a lesson. He's got no permanent injuries, but I think he'll have a very manly 10" scar on his shin (10 stitches) and his sprained ankle will limit him to drive-thru caches for at least a little while. Hey, maybe there should be E.R. caches set up for unfortunate cachers, then at least they can bag one while waiting for crutches.

I wouldn't go as far as D-Jollymon's wife to say those two shouldn't play together anymore, but they definitely need some adult supervision.

Edited by Caching Widow
•••••••••••••••••••••••••

Well, thankfully I didn't live up to my handle yesterday. PW got quite a scare. I think he's learned a lesson. He's got no permanent injuries, but I think he'll have a very manly 10" scar on his shin (10 stitches) and his sprained ankle will limit him to drive-thru caches for at least a little while. Hey, maybe there should be E.R. caches set up for unfortunate cachers, then at least they can bag one while waiting for crutches.

I wouldn't go as far as D-Jollymon's wife to say those two shouldn't play together anymore, but they definitely need some adult supervision.

Thanks for checking in. When I heard it was Jason with the 10 stitches, you were on my call list. Since Dave sent me an email, it looks like he got away easier. I have some second hand info about 3 ft of water and lost electronics. All that and a trip to the ER? You got yourself an E-ticket ride!

Honestly, I'm glad he's home and will cache another day.

We'll still need a full report, medical pictures and 8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arows on the back.

I'm still waiting for the full report also. He seems reluctant to talk about the details. He's sleeping it off today. I picked up some Vicodan for the pain, which seems pretty bad. Although, he IS a man so it may not be that bad.

As for electronics, I think his cell phone is toast, and I haven't seen his GPS around either.

I think the worst part for PW was when PW Son saw the bandages and was a little sacred to hug him. I think I need to make him and DJ a "Victim of Addiction" shirts.

Well, thankfully I didn't live up to my handle yesterday. PW got quite a scare. I think he's learned a lesson. He's got no permanent injuries, but I think he'll have a very manly 10" scar on his shin (10 stitches) and his sprained ankle will limit him to drive-thru caches for at least a little while. Hey, maybe there should be E.R. caches set up for unfortunate cachers, then at least they can  bag one while waiting for crutches.

Bless you CW, you're being a saint it seems.

Of course you will look after him just as my sweet bride nursed and scolded me through my five months on crutches for a broken ankle in the line of duty.

Experience is the name we give to our mistakes.

Does he fold laundry and do dishes? He'll need something to keep his mind occupied.

Best wishes for complete recovery,

Harmon

By the way, here's a little something to cheer him up.

649d2ccd-4e54-43ce-bbcb-f1966c3eb5ae.jpg

There's quite a story about where that fallen angel came from and how it turned out to be a TB by the way. I'll save that story for another time.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Anyone else having problems viewing the pictures on puzzle cache webpages? I have at least two new puzzles, You In and International Dog and Bone, that I cannot view the pictures. This makes solving the puzzle impossible. I see that both have the pictures on a website other than GC.com. I am using Internet Explorer and hitting refresh multiple times, but no luck. I only accidently discovered that there are pictures on either of these pages. Until I figured out there was a problem, I was staring at blank pages and wondering how everyone else was solving them.

Maybe everyone can post the pictures on the webpage itself?

1.  I LOVE guys in kilts, especially when you group 'em. You find them that way mostly in their native environment, Scotland.

...and Ireland! B)

Northern Ireland is full of Scotts, yes?

True! Actually my Dad's side has some Scotts that settled in Northern Ireland and then came here. So does that make me Scottish or Irish?

My name is Scottish (Galbraith), we have our own clan, tartan and everything, but the part of the clan we descend from have lived in Ulster for a few hundred years. It's not that far across the Irish Sea at the top end of Ireland, just ask Finn MacCool!

Anyone else having problems viewing the pictures on puzzle cache webpages? I have at least two new puzzles, You In and International Dog and Bone, that I cannot view the pictures. This makes solving the puzzle impossible. I see that both have the pictures on a website other than GC.com. I am using Internet Explorer

There's your problem right there B)

Edited by Dr. Boggis
Anyone else having problems viewing the pictures on puzzle cache webpages? I have at least two new puzzles, You In and International Dog and Bone, that I cannot view the pictures. This makes solving the puzzle impossible. I see that both have the pictures on a website other than GC.com. I am using Internet Explorer and hitting refresh multiple times, but no luck. I only accidently discovered that there are pictures on either of these pages. Until I figured out there was a problem, I was staring at blank pages and wondering how everyone else was solving them.

I have seen display problems as well. Even on cache pages without pictures. When I view the source code of the page in error, the image link is completely gone. It appears to be ok if you refresh a couple time. I seemed to have fixed it by setting my browser to reload on evey visit. B)

Dan-oh

D

Dan,

happy New Year!

Dave

Amazing! I am glad that everyone is ok. FTF fever is a real thing.. since I don't get it often, I think I will be ok.

Adelos

Anyone else having problems viewing the pictures on puzzle cache webpages? I have at least two new puzzles, You In and International Dog and Bone, that I cannot view the pictures. This makes solving the puzzle impossible. I see that both have the pictures on a website other than GC.com. I am using Internet Explorer

I knew I'd get this. Like it or not though, IE is here to stay and it works best for my home banking, so it stays.

Really I'm just wondering if anyone else besides me is having the problem.

I knew I'd get this. Like it or not though, IE is here to stay and it works best for my home banking, so it stays.

I don't see any photos on You In, but something seems wrong with that page - I don't see anything below the cache description (using IE).

On edit - now I see it, but I also see a <![endif]> after it?

Edited by TFTC
I just noticed that my hiking boots are starting to fall apart again. So do any of you guys have any recommendations hiking boots for moderate trails and a place to get a good deal on them?

I picked up some new shoes yesterday at WalMart for $20. B) I don't expect them to last all that long but they fit (which is tough to find for me).

I finally got a nerd light to use when night caching. B) I also picked up some cheap toys for swag and some little notebooks for caches in need. I had trouble finding cammo duct tape and golf pencils. I forgot to grab some small ziploc bags.

Yes, I'll admit to having the same problem. On those same two caches, to, by the way. Sort of intermittent. Very strange....

Yes, I'll admit to having the same problem. On those same two caches, to, by the way. Sort of intermittent. Very strange....

Haha, just looking at those two caches made my brain hurt. Maybe one of my new year's resolutions should have been not to look at puzzle cache pages. B)

The good news is they both look fine now. B)

There was a thread that started around Christmas time under "Geocaching.com Web Site" that sounds remarkably similar to what you are describing. The thread ends on Dec 28th without any resolution.

Dan-oh

D

Dan,

happy New Year!

Dave

First pictures in from the ER:

1abe3d5b-32b3-4e66-94a2-7760813a2f0b.jpg

Yeah, sorry for the cheap gag. FWIW, I have no problems seeing the images on either cache page (or home banking, for that matter), using Firefox (on both Mac OSX and WinXP). Plus I have an extension that removes virtually all adverts from webpages, one that adds links to google maps from any set of coords on a webpage, and one that constantly updates the weather in the bar at the bottom! B)

I think the problem with 'You In?' was a MS Word -> HTML issue. I think I cleaned it up. If not, feel free to increase the difficulty to a 3. B)

Isn't this issue due to the fact that it is a Premium Member cache so you have to be logged in to view it?

I just noticed that my hiking boots are starting to fall apart again. So do any of you guys have any recommendations hiking boots for moderate trails and a place to get a good deal on them?

This is what Santa Claus got me:

694876_1184Lrg.JPG

Apparently, he has some helpers at REI !!!

So when the boots wear out, do you get to take them back & get new ones for free?? B)B)

I'm still waiting for the full report also. He seems reluctant to talk about the details. He's sleeping it off today. I picked up some Vicodan for the pain, which seems pretty bad. Although, he IS a man so it may not be that bad.

As for electronics, I think his cell phone is toast, and I haven't seen his GPS around either.

I think the worst part for PW was when PW Son saw the bandages and was a little sacred to hug him. I think I need to make him and DJ a "Victim of Addiction" shirts.

Didn't someone start a forum for war wounds? B) Lets see: TT, Harmon, DJ & PW. Who else? B) And would you quit it!?!?!?! B)

BTW, you're going to have to sell an awful lot of shirts & coins to pay for his new electronics. :DB)