The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I don't remember which thread this was discussed in but an online friend of mine sent me this link.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/12/07/lights.html

Wow, that was a real light display. It looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down for all those Griswold types out there! :P

Yes it's Dan-oh's house! :P Dave didn't you or somebody post a link back on the other thread where you can buy the controllers to do that?

That was Harmon.

Doing my best Sienfield low-talker impersonation, iTrax & FoxTail interviewed me for this weeks PodCacher Podcast. I've been promoted as a "San Diego caching legend". :lol: Who, me?

If you haven't ever listened to one of their podcasts, download any one of their weekly shows. They've cover topics from ranging from tools of the trade, hints and tips to their caching proposal. Sometimes I'll listen at my desktop, on my MP3 player or even burn a CD. Its a very cool show, excluding this week :rolleyes:

I listened to the latest Dan-oh Podcast today with my iTunes player. The one button subscribe feature makes it a breeze to listen! Anyhow, good job Dan-oh! :P It was interesting to hear the stories behind some of your caches. I have had the fortune or agony of doing most of them. I agree with you that too many caches are being placed for the "heck of it." It would be nice if each cache had at least one redeeming quality (cool location, cool container, cool puzzle, cool whatever, etc.). I'm sure you guys know what I mean. It will be interesting to see what happens to caching in the next few years.....

I don't remember which thread this was discussed in but an online friend of mine sent me this link.

Wow, that was a real light display. It looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down for all those Griswold types out there! :rolleyes:

Yes it's Dan-oh's house! :lol: Dave didn't you or somebody post a link back on the other thread where you can buy the controllers to do that?

That was Harmon.

Use Omron CPM2C programmable logic controllers (PLCs).

Wow, that was a real light display. It looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down for all those Griswold types out there! :rolleyes:

Yes it's Dan-oh's house! :lol: Dave didn't you or somebody post a link back on the other thread where you can buy the controllers to do that?

That was Harmon.

Thanks Harmon! It's hard to find older posts sometimes as fast as these things move....

Anyhow I checked the website out but the pricing is hidden unless you fill out some forms.... So do you have any idea about how much one of those puppies runs (one that could control ~10-12 objects)?

That was Harmon.

Thanks Harmon! It's hard to find older posts sometimes as fast as these things move....

Anyhow I checked the website out but the pricing is hidden unless you fill out some forms.... So do you have any idea about how much one of those puppies runs (one that could control ~10-12 objects)?

About $250.00 or $300.00 bucks I'm afraid. We used them for automation of Sandy Creek Ranch operations and for some of the State prison projects like the pepper-spray water cannon. Very reliable and interesting to program with built-in timers, counters, and much more. Mostly they are used for factory automation.

They fit on DIN rails and are small enough for a shirt pocket. Associated power supplies and expansion units also clip onto a DIN rail. Very nifty product that's easy to program using PLC Ladder Logic.

Models run from four inputs and six outputs up to sixteen inputs and outputs.

Edited by SD Rowdies
You might wanna go support our local podcasters in the general forums. Getting a hard time there.

You might not know this but Jeremy is the owner of GC.com.

So I don't think you'll get very far on that one..... :rolleyes:

Yeah, I think that would be tilting at windmills (is that a phrase!?). Jeremy probably just viewed all of iTrax and Foxtail's posts and in that context, yikes. :lol: No easy answers to that one.

"tilting at windmills" (is that a phrase!?).

Tilting is the knightly art of trying knock another knight off his horse.

"Tilting at windmills" comes from the book "Don Quixote" where the hero applies his knightly skills against windmills that he imagines are giants. It means to "fight imaginary foes".

I am assuming that Jeremy is not imaginary (but then again, it was only days ago -- in this very forum -- that my belief in Santa Claus was so cruelly crushed...) :rolleyes:

"tilting at windmills" (is that a phrase!?).

Tilting is the knightly art of trying knock another knight off his horse.

"Tilting at windmills" comes from the book "Don Quixote" where the hero applies his knightly skills against windmills that he imagines are giants. It means to "fight imaginary foes".

Thanks, LLOT! I'm fresh out of appropriate metaphors but I hope iT & Ft can safely maneuver the gray area between promoting their site and spamming the forums! :rolleyes:

I ran across this website while trying to work on a couple puzzles today. It might be helpful for those out there that avoid puzzle caches. Of course I couldn't find any solutions for the TucsonThompsen puzzles (although some are listed). :)

There are 27 solutions in the database

Looks like they have a long ways to go to solving all the puzzle caches....

"Lost Hiker"

:):) I wonder if they billed poor Curtis for services he received? :D:o

Obviosly not a geocacher though or he would have followed his breadcrumbs. Unless he ran out of betteries...

Frank

Good gosh, what a dork. Wonder if he is related to that Cedar Fire dope? Guess not since he didn't signal for help by burning down the entire county.

Can it be that there are 44-year old people that haven't caught on to the sun, the moon, and the North Star? Yeah, that's right, there's one of them for sure.

Wonder what he actually was trying to do?

"Lost Hiker"

:)  :) I wonder if they billed poor Curtis for services he received? :D  :o

Obviosly not a geocacher though or he would have followed his breadcrumbs. Unless he ran out of betteries...

Frank

Good gosh, what a dork. Wonder if he is related to that Cedar Fire dope? Guess not since he didn't signal for help by burning down the entire county.

Can it be that there are 44-year old people that haven't caught on to the sun, the moon, and the North Star? Yeah, that's right, there's one of them for sure.

Interesting that when you Google "Curtis Rowe" and Temecula, you find that the Golf Pro at Temecula Creek Inn, which is near there, has that same name. :) Coincidence?

And the plot thickens...where is Nancy Drew when you need her.

Edited by Trovamo
"Lost Hiker"

Frank

Hey Harmon...

I guess since I am only 43 I don't fall under your comments right? :)

I'll admit, I am a dork though, the only differnence is at the Poway Cave cache, I called John instead of a helicopter! :D

Besides, I like the way John looks in his Superman outfit! :)

"Lost Hiker"

Frank

Interesting that when you Google "Curtis Rowe" and Temecula, you find that the Golf Pro at Temecula Creek Inn, which is near there, has that same name. :) Coincidence?

And the plot thickens...where is Nancy Drew when you need her.

Since the Temecula Creek Inn is on the East side of the freeway, and he was on the West, that must have been one REALLY lost ball he was looking for! :D

If he had started West in that canyon while it was still light, and didnt' call until after dark, he could have been pretty far up the gap by then. I wondered if he could have been a new cacher going for Rainbow Gap. But, then again, there is a road fairly close to that, so it would seem hard to get that lost...

I ran across this website while trying to work on a couple puzzles today. It might be helpful for those out there that avoid puzzle caches. Of course I couldn't find any solutions for the TucsonThompsen puzzles (although some are listed). :)

There are 27 solutions in the database

Looks like they have a long ways to go to solving all the puzzle caches....

Oh dear! :) Now all it takes is one person to solve a puzzle and suddenly the rest of the world has the answer handed to them on a silver platter. I can't say that I like this development at all. :D

Ironically, they've listed "The GeoCacher Who Knows" (GCQNJ7). (No solution is posted yet.) I'd hate to think anyone has to resort to a solutions database to solve this one (because you already know the answer! :o )

"Lost Hiker"

:)  :) I wonder if they billed poor Curtis for services he received? :o  :D

Frank

Hey Harmon...

I guess since I am only 43 I don't fall under your comments right? :D

I'll admit, I am a dork though, the only differnence is at the Poway Cave cache, I called John instead of a helicopter! :)

Besides, I like the way John looks in his Superman outfit! :)

Well you make a good point. Nothing like walking in the other guy's shoes before judging him, especially just before Santa comes.

No, wait, Santa is dead isn't he? Serves him right for what he brought me for Christmas in 1941. That was the first time I actually said "Why I oughta ....

Edited by SD Rowdies
Anyone notice the new "Print to PDF" link on the cache pages? Very nice.

Adelos

I noticed that listed on the cache pages but this is what I see next to it.

** Become a Premium Member today! **

I can see this helping those of us that aren't premium members.... I already emailed someone to send me a PDF of a page I can't see. :)

Oh dear! :) Now all it takes is one person to solve a puzzle and suddenly the rest of the world has the answer handed to them on a silver platter. I can't say that I like this development at all. :)

Ironically, they've listed "The GeoCacher Who Knows" (GCQNJ7). (No solution is posted yet.) I'd hate to think anyone has to resort to a solutions database to solve this one (because you already know the answer! :o )

I don't see it as a bad thing. I know people that skip puzzle caches all together because of the ones that are a pain to solve. This will give them a chance to do some of the caches. The people who do puzzles the hard way will continue to do it that way since they will consider this cheating.

I believe I have the coordinates for your "The GeoCacher Who Knows" at home already so I don't need that one. I guess I have no excuse for not going and getting that one. It is only a few miles away from my work....

I am just waiting for someone to fill in the answers to all the TT caches. :D

"Lost Hiker"

:D:) I wonder if they billed poor Curtis for services he received? :):o

Frank

By the way, let me give a warm welcome to Trovamo, (Frank and Millie), to our boards! :)

They are a couple of my homies from up in Murrieta!

You can all meet them at our event in Feb!

"Lost Hiker"

:D  :) I wonder if they billed poor Curtis for services he received? :D  :)

Frank

Hey Harmon...

I guess since I am only 43 I don't fall under your comments right? :D

I'll admit, I am a dork though, the only differnence is at the Poway Cave cache, I called John instead of a helicopter! :)

Besides, I like the way John looks in his Superman outfit! :o

Well you make a good point. Nothing like walking in the other guy's shoes before judging him, especially just before Santa comes.

No, wait, Santa is dead isn't he? Serves him right for what he brought me for Christmas in 1941. That was the first time I actually said "Why I oughta ....

I got lost in a remote woods in northern Wisconsin once while hunting by myself. I stayed in too long on a cloudy day and it got dark faster than I thought it would. Anyhow, I confidentally walked out in what I thought was the right direction but ended up going a couple of miles deeper in to the woods. It's easier to lose your bearings when it's dark out with no flashlight (Yes I know now...I should have had the 10 essentials). That happened way before they had cell phones so I was on my own. Anyhow, it wasn't fun to say the least. I could see how some could panic in that situation. Anyhow, instead of walking and making noise I decided to stand still and wait for the sound of a passing car on the county truck road that I knew was somewhere out there to get my bearings. I eventually heard a car in the distance (that I wouldn't have heard if I was walking) and I got a new bearing towards that road and got out! The funny part is that I wasn't even 44 yet! I'm 22 days away from 45 does that still make me a dumb 44 year old! :)

Anyhow, my point is that guy that got rescued should have sat still and listened for the highway 15. Heck, it was only half a mile away! It's hard to believe that he couldn't hear it! B)

OK, never mind that. Did anyone else pick up on this statement? "Rowe said he had parked his car on the shoulder of the freeway and had been hiking."  :)WHAT??????????

I suppose if you're too stupid enough to not listen for the highway a half a mile away then you're stupid enough to park on the highway and go hiking! :D

Maybe it's just me but I say that there's more to the story than we've heard.

First of all the guy is 44-years old and we know what that can mean, maybe his mistress dumped him and so he's craving attention and figured out a way to get some. :) My bet is that he has one of those kinky divorce-do hair styles. Anyway, here's the Sheriff's report for your consideration.

Subject: RESCUED LOST HIKER IN RIVERSIDE COUNTY

Date of Occurrence: Sunday, December 11, 2005

Time of Occurrence: 9:30 P.M.

Location of Incident: Riverside County

SYNOPSIS:

On 12-11-05 at around 2130 hours the San Diego Sheriff's Department and ASTREA received a request from Riverside Sheriff's Office (RSO) to assist them with a lost/stranded hiker. The hiker, Curtis Rowe (44 years) of Temecula, called RSO from his cell phone and reported that he was somewhere west of I-15 and about 1/2 mile north of the San Diego/Riverside County line.

Rowe parked his car on the shoulder of the freeway and hiked for about 2 & 1/2 hours. It was now dark and he was without food, water, or any overnight gear. Deputy Paul LaCroix from the Fallbrook Sheriff's Station responded, as well as ASTREA-3 with D. Weldon as pilot and D. Kimball as the Observer. Deputy Lacroix acted as a liaison with RSO who was in contact with Rowe via cell phone. Rowe was subsequently able to direct ASTREA to his position, on top of a rugged boulder strewn mountain.

Deputy Weldon was able to perform a "toe in" landing with one skid on the ground and the front of the second skid on the ground, on top of a large boulder. The stranded hiker was loaded onto the helicopter and flown to safety. He was not injured.

Information Source: Deputy Darryl Kimball, Sheriff's ASTREA, El Cajon.

NOTE: "Without food and water for 2-1/2 hours ..." good gosh, I've waited that long for a table at Denny's. "Without overnight gear ..." we know what that means don't we?

Edited by SD Rowdies
I don't see it as a bad thing. I know people that skip puzzle caches all together because of the ones that are a pain to solve. This will give them a chance to do some of the caches. The people who do puzzles the hard way will continue to do it that way since they will consider this cheating.

I can certainly understand that view and I don't even completely disagree with it. In some ways, it's really no different than participating in a find on a cache that one person in the group has solved or getting the answer from someone at an event cache.

At the same time, though, I tend to feel that not everything in life was meant to be quite so easy. Some caches are deliberately designed to be a challenge (whether that be a TT puzzle or a DAK Girls storm drain or a monumental hike into the Anza-Borrego). Somehow, having the answer freely available on the Internet feels too easy.

I am curious (and I'll probably ask them) whether these folks would respect the wishes of a cache owner who writes to them and asks not to have his or her cache listed.

By the way, if anyone wants help on any of my puzzles, you don't have to go to "Spoilers.Com". I'll help you through it at any level that it takes for you to be successful.

stupid forum errors.

Be careful young person or I will have to challenge you to a distance walk of about.......oh......26.2 miles!!!!! <_<:mad::P:D

On the other hand i am still trying to figure out what possessed this person to get out of his car on the freeway and go hiking!!!! Doesnt sound like he is the brightest bulb on the tree this year. Oh well.