The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Thanks for the link LLOT!

Actually, the REI one looks good too - has the tripod mount and weighs quite a bit less:

Tracks Sherlock Walking Staff vs REI Hiker Vibra Stop Staff

Price: $49.00 vs $57.00

Weight: 16.5 ounces vs 10.6 ounces

Shaft material Aluminum vs Aluminum

Maximum length 57.5 inches vs 57 inches

Minimum length 42.5 inches vs 27.5 inches

Item 471038 vs Item 703524

Hmm, that's something to mention to Santa (but not via that #$#$% puzzle cache!) :P

For 65 bucks this one also has a camera mount and it folds up to 19" long and weighs 10oz!

......but if I break the REI one in half I can it back to REI!

For the record, I got mine at REI. I actually go it for free using my REI year end points. It's a pretty good deal when you buy stuff for your company and get a bunch of REI points in the process. :D

My pole is Leki but I don't see it on their website anymore. Ok, enough bragging about my pole. :D

Speaking of getting something does anyone know where Santa can find a good deal on a hiking stick? I'd like one that you can screw your camera into like the one RM has!

I have a walking stick that can be used as a monopod. I got it at REI. The brand is "Tracks" and their web page is: www.trackspoles.com.

I've had one of "Tracks" walking sticks with the camera mount / compass for several years (1994) and like it, however it has taken a back seat to trecking poles. It has weathered the years well, zero problems.

I got mine from Adventure 16

Jeff

Edited by drexotic

Tiff is nagging me about a either a virtual or a reverse cache...

Your spouse "nagging" about doing a cache? Wish I could get my wife to do that!

No kiddin'....I'm jealous.

Mine does that opposite of that......

"Are you doing that geocaching thing this Saturday too?"

"Ummm.....yes, but I'll do all those chores on Sunday!" :P

I would gladly do my chores on Tuesday for a cache today.. :D

......but if I break the REI one in half I can it back to REI!

Which is very important! I wish I bought my GPSr at REI! (assuming that return policy is true!) :anibad:

I just went and bought one of the REI staffs - couldn't wait to figure out that puzzle cache! :laughing:

I'll put it to the test on Saturday!

Tiff is nagging me about a either a virtual or a reverse cache...

Your spouse "nagging" about doing a cache? Wish I could get my wife to do that!

No kiddin'....I'm jealous.

Mine does that opposite of that......

"Are you doing that geocaching thing this Saturday too?"

"Ummm.....yes, but I'll do all those chores on Sunday!" :mad:

I would gladly do my chores on Tuesday for a cache today.. :laughing:

Do you also like hamburgers?! :anibad:

Speaking of getting something does anyone know where Santa can find a good deal on a hiking stick? I'd like one that you can screw your camera into like the one RM has!

I have a walking stick that can be used as a monopod. I got it at REI. The brand is "Tracks" and their web page is: www.trackspoles.com.

I've had one of "Tracks" walking sticks with the camera mount / compass for several years (1994) and like it, however it has taken a back seat to trecking poles. It has weathered the years well, zero problems.

I got mine from Adventure 16

Jeff

I too prefer a pair of hiking/trekking poles to a staff. I've got a very nice walnut staff with tripod head that I haven't used in a decade. I find the two-pole option very effective for maintaining pace and balance, even for running mountain trails, for climbing up or down, and especially for backpacking. As an alternative to a staff tripod, you might check out Groovy's approach ...

-GD :laughing:

09cf2a2d-6da5-47ca-81c6-cf68de2be35d.jpg

I too prefer a pair of hiking/trekking poles to a staff.  I've got a very nice walnut staff with tripod head that I haven't used in a decade.  I find the two-pole option very effective for maintaining pace and balance, even for running mountain trails, for climbing up or down, and especially for backpacking.  As an alternative to a staff tripod, you might check out Groovy's approach ...

-GD  :lol:

redx.jpg

Since I switched to trekking poles, I've wondered about a tripod set up as well. I have this small tripod that only weighs 2ozs that I can set up several different way. I suppose with one other trekking pole and the built in velcro strap, I can build my own full size tripod.

Someday when I upgrade to a DSLR (yeah, when) I'll need the larger tripod, a whopping 4ozs.

437690.jpg

REI ultrapod

I too prefer a pair of hiking/trekking poles to a staff.  I've got a very nice walnut staff with tripod head that I haven't used in a decade.  I find the two-pole option very effective for maintaining pace and balance, even for running mountain trails, for climbing up or down, and especially for backpacking.  As an alternative to a staff tripod, you might check out Groovy's approach ...

-GD  :lol:

redx.jpg

Since I switched to trekking poles, I've wondered about a tripod set up as well. I have this small tripod that only weighs 2ozs that I can set up several different way. I suppose with one other trekking pole and the built in velcro strap, I can build my own full size tripod.

Someday when I upgrade to a DSLR (yeah, when) I'll need the larger tripod, a whopping 4ozs.

437690.jpg

REI ultrapod

I second that motion! I got the same thing from REI and keep it in my swagbag. I used it to strap my camera to a tree in NJ to get a photo of the whole gang on the final leg of FEAR. Very versatile!

Just for the sake of completeness...

Another option that I've used successfully (with both compact cameras and SLRs) for many years is a "clampod". It's basically a C-clamp with pop-out legs and a tripod head. You can use it like the ultrapod or you can clamp it to things (trees, hiking staffs, trekking poles, car windows, mountain bikes, fences, ammo boxes, people, small animals and so-on.) You can usually find this item at camera stores.

Sheesh, all this fancy stuff....Kawikaturn used an empty beer bottle on Compromising Positions  ;)

Beerpod! :back:

One comment I was going to make is that the monopod has the advantage of being able to be jabbed into the ground. So if there is nothing around you can shoot a group photo with it very easily. The other big use of the monopod in geocaching is to probe into holes and bushes! I have been lucky so far not to have been bitten by something! Finally, the last big use of the staff/monopod is when you are going down steep hills. It makes for a very nice anchor to stop you from slipping. I've taken a few spills going down steep rocky hills that I could have avoided if I had had a hiking staff! ;) Anyhow, I have one on order!!!

Edited by TrailGators
I think this is way wrong...but I know others think differently.

:back:  ;)

I think it's a great idea, however, it didn't work. There needs to be a better way to pull that off.

It could be locked by a combo, that only a cacher with under the count can get.. That is one way. I thought it was a cool idea, but it would be nice to see a time limit.

Adelos

Who is the best at cammo jobs? Ok, not to be a competition, but who is good at doing cache cammo's? I need to get some better experience with 'hidden' caches to improve my own. Just looking for ideas that may be out there.. I started messing with cammo tape, and it makes a world of difference. Less obvious.

I bet there is a thread about it..

Adelos

Who is the best at cammo jobs? Ok, not to be a competition, but who is good at doing cache cammo's? I need to get some better experience with 'hidden' caches to improve my own. Just looking for ideas that may be out there.. I started messing with cammo tape, and it makes a world of difference. Less obvious.

Adelos

You haven't been to North County much have you? ;) Dan-oh and Drew5.10 have some great cammo up here! There are also some other good ones too! :back:

Who is the best at cammo jobs?  Ok, not to be a competition, but who is good at doing cache cammo's?  I need to get some better experience with 'hidden' caches to improve my own.  Just looking for ideas that may be out there..  I started messing with cammo tape, and it makes a world of difference.  Less obvious.

Adelos

You haven't been to North County much have you? ;) Dan-oh and Drew5.10 have some great cammo up here! There are also some other good ones too! :back:

Don't forget the TT Nuisance Caches. Also Legacy from D-Jollymon had some good cammo.

Adelos

Dan-oh

Who is the best at cammo jobs?  Ok, not to be a competition, but who is good at doing cache cammo's?  I need to get some better experience with 'hidden' caches to improve my own.  Just looking for ideas that may be out there..  I started messing with cammo tape, and it makes a world of difference.  Less obvious.

Adelos

Dan-oh

Dan-oh

And beware any that have attended his Jedi Knight camo "seminars" as well... :huh::):huh: Drew5.10 has an excellent series, Sticks and Stones is fun too but down for repairs right now, and don't miss Pseudo by condorman either! Bwahh-haww-haaa-ha-ha!

We'll make another trip down to Puzzle Canyon...err, Sweetwater soon if you promise to make one up here to Escondido to have a looksee! :P:D

J&J

Adelos

Dan-oh

Dan-oh

And beware any that have attended his Jedi Knight camo "seminars" as well... :D:huh::) Drew5.10 has an excellent series, Sticks and Stones is fun too but down for repairs right now, and don't miss Pseudo by condorman either! Bwahh-haww-haaa-ha-ha!

We'll make another trip down to Puzzle Canyon...err, Sweetwater soon if you promise to make one up here to Escondido to have a looksee! :huh::P

J&J

Ditto on what J&J said....

Dan-Oh caches,

Drew5.10 caches,

Sticks and Stones by climber x

and...

PSEUDO by condorman

Attempt any of these at your own risk!!

dang it! Dan-oh removed all of his images!

Notice that my profile invites anyone from OUTSIDE the area to email me for more of those pictures. I'm anxious to spread the good word about camo and being creative. The only hook is if you live in San Diego, ya gotta find 'em first! :huh:

*PLUG-PLUG*

If you don't already, tune into Sonny & Sandy's PodCacher Podcasts. Its something great to listen to on the drive and always interesting. As an added bonus, very soon they'll be interviewing a locally renowned camouflage expert! hope I don't sound like a dork!

Ahimsa your travel bug is now in the Field of Dreams geocache. Thought it was appropriate as it is dreaming of getting back to the mainland.

BRA your 2 smashed pennies are in micros.

I am getting a lot of sighseeing in.....and some hiking (big hike of 26.2 miles is tomorrow) in but the muggles are here in abundance. Over 30,000 people are here to do the marathon. I can guarantee you all that I wont be first nor will I be last. I learned 4 marathons ago that they give the same medal to the first person across the line as they do to those towards the rear of the parade HAHAHAHAHA.

Plan for geocaching in future.....navagator to assist!!!!!! It would be a whole lot easier.......TAKE NOTE!!!! HA..... B):(:(

Missed all those 1000 finds today.......but am in a great spot....

While we were out caching and chatting today, someone was pretty adamant that virtual caches were going away at the end of the year. I didn't think they were but rather then debate I figured I'd check the status when I got back....

So here is the current status:

*Existing maintained virtuals on geocaching.com will be grandfathered on the web site, but we do not guarantee they will remain listed forever. We'll see how Waymarking goes.

* Most likely webcam caches and Earthcaches will be moved to the Waymarking site. As with virtuals, existing maintained listings will remain active on geocaching.com for the near future.

We all know that locationless caches will be moved to Waymarking.com in 3 weeks.

Ahimsa your travel bug is now in the Field of Dreams geocache. Thought it was appropriate as it is dreaming of getting back to the mainland.

Thank you, Smiling Lady 13! I have a new Acrobot TB ready to set loose, but I didn't want to leave it sitting up on a mountain. I'll have to find a more reachable ammo can soon!

648248fe-6655-42c0-b55e-9accc0c97bc3.jpg

Thank you, Smiling Lady 13! I have a new Acrobot TB ready to set loose, but I didn't want to leave it sitting up on a mountain. I'll have to find a more reachable ammo can soon!

648248fe-6655-42c0-b55e-9accc0c97bc3.jpg

I like this cute little bugger!!!! I know your other one wont stay in the cache for very long!!!!

ahimsa, can I get one of those cute "acrobat" things from you? I need one for my shelf of useless objects I have found in caches . . . :laughing:

CacheStuffCalendar_546.jpg

WOW you have quite a shelf of stuff. I picked up a couple of things over here.....fill be out finding more tomorrow if my legs work at all........finished the 26.2 in 8 hours......and around 10 minutes.....waiting for the official time. I will see if I can find any things that you could add to the shelf. Thats if the muggle population decreases at all.

Congratulations on completing the Marathon. That is a great accomplishment! :laughing:

#5 it was......now I am ready to get back to geocaching!!!! much more fun.......I like to look in the caches for stuff........Plus after a good day of caching alls I am is hungry not achy.

Great to hear about your marathon! I am training for my first Half Ironman in March and really like to take the opportunity to cache instead of workout sometimes. You don't need to sit in the hot tub and take ibuprofin after caching (most of the time at least). Enjoy your recovery time, you deserve it!

Congratulations on completing the Marathon. That is a great accomplishment! :laughing:

#5 it was......now I am ready to get back to geocaching!!!! much more fun.......I like to look in the caches for stuff........Plus after a good day of caching alls I am is hungry not achy.

Great to hear about your marathon! I am training for my first Half Ironman in March and really like to take the opportunity to cache instead of workout sometimes. You don't need to sit in the hot tub and take ibuprofin after caching (most of the time at least). Enjoy your recovery time, you deserve it!

Wow....Keep up the training........!!! Keep us all informed of how you are doing.

I am happy not to take the Motrin nor jacuzzi after caching......can keep on doing other things that is for sure.

Doing my best Sienfield low-talker impersonation, iTrax & FoxTail interviewed me for this weeks PodCacher Podcast. I've been promoted as a "San Diego caching legend". :P Who, me?

If you haven't ever listened to one of their podcasts, download any one of their weekly shows. They've cover topics from ranging from tools of the trade, hints and tips to their caching proposal. Sometimes I'll listen at my desktop, on my MP3 player or even burn a CD. Its a very cool show, excluding this week :P

I don't remember which thread this was discussed in but an online friend of mine sent me this link.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/2005/local/12/07/lights.html

Wow, that was a real light display. It looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down for all those Griswold types out there! :P

Yes it's Dan-oh's house! :P Dave didn't you or somebody post a link back on the other thread where you can buy the controllers to do that?

Edited by TrailGators
I don't remember which thread this was discussed in but an online friend of mine sent me this link.

Wow, that was a real light display. It looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down for all those Griswold types out there! :D

Yes it's Dan-oh's house! :P Dave didn't you or somebody post a link back on the other thread where you can buy the controllers to do that?

Insane! Now how can you flash the lights to give coordinates? :P

Adelos

Wow, that was a real light display. It looks like the gauntlet has been thrown down for all those Griswold types out there! :D

Insane! Now how can you flash the lights to give coordinates? :P

Adelos

Using Flagman's Static code!!! :D