The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hi gang!

Just sit right back and I'll share a tale, a tale of a fateful trip!  :huh: . . .

Wow! I'm so glad it turned out okay.

As Gobolts! can attest because he had to help me with it on our trip up to Lawson 4, I carry a really heavy fanny pack that has in it a flashlight, four extra batteries, food, my camera, and lots of other caching-related necessities (swag, pen, tweezers, Leatherman tool, etc.)

However, I don't own a cell phone . . . it would be nice if Santa would get one for me . . . B)

Oh . . . that's right, Santa doesn't exist . . . B)

Over the top? Not if you want to be safe.

I guess that is my main point. Earlier this week, I would have scoffed at you! This was basically an easy hike, and within sight of the Poway grade for most of it. How lost can you get? I even looked at my sweatshirt on the front seat and decided to leave it.

I had my keys in my pocket, my stick, my gps and a flashlight, with only enough batteries for one of them. Considering the postition I got myself into, I was woefully unprepaired. Still, until I experieced this first-hand, I wouldn't have believed it was possible to get in such a predicament.

All I kept thinking was how I made fun of the surveyors that got lost on Palomar the other day! :huh:

I mean really, how can THAT happen? B)

I upped my standards ...Now up yours!

I prefer your nonsensical posts about arriving to events in your dirigable to these seemingly hostile posts. I guess since most of the SD crowd don't spend too much time on Rich's site, maybe you didn't expect it to become a public fracas.

I only have 401 finds, so I can't speak from too much experience, but I have found your basic lamp post finds just about everywhere I have been caching.

The nerve of that guy, why I oughta ....

you oughta what?

We did over 34 urban caches I logged 5

and the beer root cache had so many homeless people and trash standing/laying around I thought it was a soup kitchen!

I'll be back in town Dec. 22 visiting friends/family at the USMC base & La Mesa

if any SD cachers would like to meet with me (to kick my a**!) or show me some fun well placed caches I'd be happy to do either!

:P I loved the Beer Root cache, but apparently the area has changed since I found the cache. It was not in that condition when I was there. :P The change to that location is not the cache owner's fault . . . :D

Most of my caches involve a hike and take you to some spectacular views, however this one, that has a great view, is closer to town.

Take a Lichen to this View

This is a fun container:

Steele Canyon Park

This one takes you to a very creative construction:

Hobbit's Gone Wild

If you really, really want to have some fun, and see some unbelievably-great creativity, you just have to find the Sandy Creek Cowboy Caches.

I don't think there is a series of caches anywhere that could be more fun than those!! :)

There are many more great caches included in my still-to-be completed Bookmarks, although not all of them are "local" caches. I guess I'll have to work on a Bookmark list just for those. :D

Memorable Cahes

Caches with a View

Edited by Miragee
Just sit right back and I'll share a tale, a tale of a fateful trip! 

[snip]

You are lucky C4 and it's great to hear that nothing bad happened to you! Way to go John! :P

Don’t feel bad Dave. Iam sure all of us have done things while caching, but won’t admit it.

Mine was climbing over rocks during the summer in a rattlesnake-infested area wearing flip-flops.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Once is awhile we need a “wake up call” that our sport can be dangerous and we need to be careful out there.

John deserves some kind of Geocaching hero award!

Nick

GrnZoom

The nerve of that guy, why I oughta ....

you oughta what?

We did over 34 urban caches I logged 5

and the beer root cache had so many homeless people and trash standing/laying around I thought it was a soup kitchen!

if any SD cachers would like to meet with me (to kick my a**!) or show me some fun well placed caches I'd be happy to do either!

We have some absolutley grand caches in Mission Trails Regional Park. I am not sure where you are from but I have traveled a lot and cached in a couple of states and I find our caches some of the best, but I would not go on a public forum and complain about caches as it is hurtful to people. Geocaching to me is a fun, high energy sport where you may or may not find the cache,you meet a lot of interesting people (SC Rowdies who keep telling us we are going to die trying to find Snail Rock) and there is always an adventure associated with each cache. I have learned to look at life as the cup being half full and there is a silver lining behind every cloud then to judge things so sharply.

I hope you will come to see us and enjoy the grand and glorious area of San Diego. So in the mean time.....see you when you get to town. The group of us will be happy to show you around.......

Wow! Congratulations on the coin!  :P

Thanks!

John&Jess are in the final stages of the contest right now.

Go to The Quest Page and then click on the leader board link. Right now, they are at #158. (They started way after I did, or I would have been chasing them!)

It was a real blast competing in the quest, and if they do another, I highly recommend it!

Do they post this before it starts? Looks real interesting.

Hi gang!

Just sit right back and I'll share a tale, a tale of a fateful trip!  :P . . .

Wow! I'm so glad it turned out okay.

As Gobolts! can attest because he had to help me with it on our trip up to Lawson 4, I carry a really heavy fanny pack that has in it a flashlight, four extra batteries, food, my camera, and lots of other caching-related necessities (swag, pen, tweezers, Leatherman tool, etc.)

However, I don't own a cell phone . . . it would be nice if Santa would get one for me . . . :D

Oh . . . that's right, Santa doesn't exist . . . :P

NO SANTA.......HOW CAN THAT BE???? SIGH........I just saw him.......he is taking a letting to the North Pole for me....

Alright you lot, be nice to each other while we're back in Blighty, and have a Merry Christmas[*] and Happy New Year! Wonder how many pages of this thread I'll have to catch (or should that be cache?) up on when we get back on Dec 31st?!? Hope to do a few UK caches, but I've had to preload them all so if I go somewhere unexpected I might be without data.

CHEERS and see you in 2006!!

[*] or similar non-denominational winter celebration

Alright you lot, be nice to each other while we're back in Blighty, and have a Merry Christmas[*] and Happy New Year! Wonder how many pages of this thread I'll have to catch (or should that be cache?) up on when we get back on Dec 31st?!? Hope to do a few UK caches, but I've had to preload them all so if I go somewhere unexpected I might be without data.

Righto! ... please give my best to the Royal Family.

<snip>

So whatcha say San Diegans, how bout we take him up on it?

No, no! Not that!

Put together your best list in bookmark form and we'll take the good Doctor caching, San Diego style. And if Dr Haz would let us know his prefered flavor of caches, we'll taylor the list to a T. Is it mega-hike, 4WD, ultra-camo, bizzare placement, themed story of mind bending multi? We got 'em all!

Oh, and how far do you want to travel from the La Mesa area?

Edited by Dan-oh
So whatcha say San Diegan, how bout we take him up on it?

No, no!  Not that!

Put together your best list in bookmark form and we'll take the good Doctor caching, San Diego style.  And if Dr Haz would let us know his prefered flavor of caches, we'll taylor the list to a T.  Is it mega-hike, 4WD, ultra-camo, bizzare placement, themed story of mind bending multi?  We got 'em all!

Oh, and how far do you want to travel from the La Mesa area?

Take him to CHUD twice and bring him back once.

Might be good to introduce him to the concept of Pocket Queries so's he can tailor his own list and eliminate all of our crappie San Diego caches.

Ain't it fun to be judged?

Edited by SD Rowdies
I'm sorry San Diego Geo cachers

I've seem to have offended you! :P

(open moth insert foot)

Please forgive 

My wife just read my post over at SCGC and said I was a Jerk and should try harder to get along with others...!

my bad..

(can I still get a key to the city?)

hazz...

Penance: Place another cache like the last two! They ROCK! :P

Oh, and when are you gunna bag the Yukon?

Edited by FlagMan

(open moth insert foot)

Please forgive 

My wife just read my post over at SCGC and said I was a Jerk and should try harder to get along with others...!

my bad..

hazz...

Hazz,

Personally I have enjoyed the stimulating exchange. For my part I was just "funnin'" with you like an ol' cowboy is want to do now and then.

When I write "Why I oughta ..." just think of Gabby Hayes of western movie fame. Truth is he actually just said "Why I ...."

Lively debate about Geocaching is a good thing. To some degree I once felt the same as you about the explosion of urban micros; however, going after them has taken me to some of the nicest places in our county. Besides, I can't help myself.

For my part I hope to meet you one day, shake your hand, and have a laugh together about this crazy recreation of ours.

My best to you and yours for a wonderful holiday season. Hmm, can I say "Holiday season?" Is that o.k.?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

(open moth insert foot)

Please forgive 

my bad..

hazz...

Try some of these SD caches out too! :P

Bitmap's Favorites

Chuy's Favorites

Dan-oh's Favorites

EMC's Favorites

Flagman's Favorites

LLOT's Favorites

Miragee's Favorites

Passing Wind's Favorites

QDMan's Favorites

RLCSpeaker's Favorites

Trailgator's Favorites

Hopefully someday GC will be able to create a consolidated favorites list! :D

Edited by TrailGators

I was out hiking on my lunch break today (to a cache, of course!) and pondering C4's adventures. It occurred to me that while there's been a lot of discussion about being prepared (and valuable discussion it is), there is another aspect that also deserves mention.

This other aspect is goal-itus. This is when achieving a goal trumps wisdom of turning around and trying again on another day. It can afflict even the most well prepared individual. Being well-prepared might (or might not) make the difference between surviving and not surviving an un-wise decision, but it doesn't prevent the decision in the first place. We have all, probably, been afflicted by it at one time or another. (I regret to say that I've made some poor decisions in this regard.) It's most likely to occur when we have an investment (financial, emotional, whatever) in achieving a goal.

Goal-itus is a significant contributor to a large number of mountain climbing fatalities. It also figures in a high number of general aviation accidents. Let me end with this thought. When a peak is so close that you can almost touch it, it is very very difficult to turn around and give up all that hard won altitude -- even in the face of severe lightning storms. But when faced with this decision, keep in mind the following: you can descend and reclimb that mountain many times in your life. Continuing on in the face of adverse weather and/or darkness may be something that you only get to do once!

(Now, if only I can remember to think about this when I'm the one making the decision to turn around... :P )

I was out hiking on my lunch break today (to a cache, of course!) and pondering C4's adventures. It occurred to me that while there's been a lot of discussion about being prepared (and valuable discussion it is), there is another aspect that also deserves mention.

This other aspect is goal-itus. This is when achieving a goal trumps wisdom of turning around and trying again on another day. It can afflict even the most well prepared individual. Being well-prepared might (or might not) make the difference between surviving and not surviving an un-wise decision, but it doesn't prevent the decision in the first place. We have all, probably, been afflicted by it at one time or another. (I regret to say that I've made some poor decisions in this regard.) It's most likely to occur when we have an investment (financial, emotional, whatever) in achieving a goal.

Goal-itus is a significant contributor to a large number of mountain climbing fatalities. It also figures in a high number of general aviation accidents. Let me end with this thought. When a peak is so close that you can almost touch it, it is very very difficult to turn around and give up all that hard won altitude -- even in the face of severe lightning storms. But when faced with this decision, keep in mind the following: you can descend and reclimb that mountain many times in your life. Continuing on in the face of adverse weather and/or darkness may be something that you only get to do once!

(Now, if only I can remember to think about this when I'm the one making the decision to turn around... :P )

Excellent post!

On my first attempt at Lawson 4, prudence did prevail, but not before I ended up at the end of the arrow in this picture.

2338fd5d-78db-4b75-b130-444118b1db6c.jpg

(Which, incidentally, is almost the exact same place my GPSr fell from the other day.)

As it was, I got back to my car at dark, without the help of a flashlight. That two-mile descent was treacherous and scary, especially when I reminded myself it was mountain lion territory as evidenced by ahimsa's picture. :P

884870e4-e524-48ef-b39c-0f40a7d1f1e1.jpg

It is very hard to turn back when that little arrow is pointing the way and the distance keeps decreasing with each step . . . :D Knowing the malady, goal-itis, has a name is the beginning of possibly conquering it . . . :)

Totally off the caching topic, but here goes anyway...

I had placed a bid earlier this week for tickets to tonights Jingle Ball Concert at the Sports Arena. I didn't win, since the bids were beyond my means.

Anyway, the station just called me, and they have 12 front-row seats still available for tonights show. The price is steep at $250 per seat, but it should be a great show, and all proceeds benefit Becky's house, which is a shelter for abused women.

The station number is 866-570-1941.

The acts are:

Switchfoot

B52s

Alannis Morrisette

Train

Hootie and the Blowfish

Los Lonely Boys

Back on topic! :P

Goal-itus is a significant contributor to a large number of mountain climbing fatalities.

Excellent point. Just about every single bad choice I made last night had to do with goal-itis! And I couldn't point to any single choice I made that was worse than the others, it's just that they all piled on each other!

Words of wisdom to be sure! :P

BTW- Chuy, did Snake call you to say he made it back out of the sewers today?

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! :blink:

Thanks for giving me the inspiration to make my favorite list:

kawikaturn's Favorites

Thanks for giving me the inspiration to make my favorite list:

kawikaturn's Favorites

Great list Dave! :lol: I see that I have some more Dak Girls caches that I need to visit. Those seem to be on everybody's list and I haven't done that many of theirs! But the Forbidden Forest was very cool! :cry:

Edited by TrailGators