The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

C4 are you bringing that coin to the Black Canyon event tomorrow?

I don't have the coin that I am placing in the wild in my possession yet. He is sending it out to me in Monday's mail.

I do have the one that is part of my collection though. I have a few issues to work out before I can commit to making it tomorrow, but I hope to be there.

Dave

I have dropped a few coins into caches with this very goal in mind. The swiftness in which these coins have disappeared has been highly discouraging. Sure, I expected them to evaporate eventually, but to have them disappear so quickly was very disappointing. :huh::ph34r:

It's quite an ironic thing that most geocoin "travellers" don't actually travel. It's even more so given that there is such a high value placed on coins that are "trackable". (I'm waiting for someone to release a coin that is truly trackable -- one that, when it goes missing, I can type the tracking number into LoJack... :rolleyes: )

Maybe you should lock a steel tire hub or cinder block to the moun10bike coin? You don't see restroom keys being stolen do you? :ph34r:

BathroomKeyOdellPoster.JPG

*****************PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT*************

PSA: This public service announcement is to notify all geocachers in SD that Mission Trails Regional Park now provides free food to all member of geocaching.com These emergency caches of food will be placed at key locations throughout the park in an effort to reduce the number of starvation fatalities suffered by crazed geocachers attempting to find all the caches in the park in one day. Below is an image of one of these emergency caches: :ph34r:

23548a38-8536-4cb4-a43a-d6acfd57aac3.jpg:rolleyes:

PSA: This public service announcement is to notify all geocachers in SD that Mission Trails Regional Park now provides free food to all member of geocaching.com These emergency caches of food will be placed at key locations throughout the park in an effort to reduce the number of starvation fatalities suffered by crazed geocachers attempting to find all the caches in the park in one day. Below is an image of one of these emergency caches: :ph34r:

snip:rolleyes:

Looks like we need to "CIBO" (Cache In Bagel Out) this area ASAP!

Don't worry. We are on it. We are bringing bagels for CITO breakfast tomorrow! :ph34r:

23548a38-8536-4cb4-a43a-d6acfd57aac3.jpg:rolleyes:

O sure, you waited I finished the MTRP caches.

Don't worry. We are on it. We are bringing bagels for CITO breakfast tomorrow! :ph34r:

I'm skipping breakfast tomorrow! :huh:

Well . . . I bet I've been shopping at REI longer than any of the rest of you . . . 

Can you beat 1968? (I was just a kid then and it was my dad's coop number but it was my money and so it still counts...) :o

Trivia question: Where was REI in San Diego before its present location?

I remember the store on University Ave. but the only "store" I had at the beginning was their wonderful catalogue that I would drool over in my little house on Ocean Front Walk.

Can you believe you could rent a place in that location for only $140.00 a month. :laughing:

Yep, it was in the old Sears building.

Well . . . I bet I've been shopping at REI longer than any of the rest of you . . . 

Can you beat 1968? (I was just a kid then and it was my dad's coop number but it was my money and so it still counts...) :P

Trivia question: Where was REI in San Diego before its present location?

Hi Smokey...Welcome to caching!

:laughing::o:P

Thanks, GoBolts. Happened upon geocaching quite by accident. Bought a GPS for backpacking and then.....

What I am leading up to is this...I just worked out a trade with Moun10Bike for another one of his new coins. This is his 3rd version of his coin, so many of you haven't had the opportunity to see one yet. When you log it, you get the same Moun10Bike icon on your stat page as you do with the first 2 versions of his coin though.

Wow, I just took a look at his new coin and it's very nice. I had one of his original coins a few years back and it went missing shortly after I dumped it in a cache. I hope the one you send out lasts a little longer. RM

We had a great time to day at the CITO and it was good to put faces to names. Can't wait for the next one.

On a side note, does anyone have an Etrex Vista? If so, have you ever experienced problems with it turning off randomly even with fresh batteries? Our Etrex tends to turn off without warning. Not too sure what to make of it.

:o

On a side note, does anyone have an Etrex Vista? If so, have you ever experienced problems with it turning off randomly even with fresh batteries? Our Etrex tends to turn off without warning. Not too sure what to make of it.

I am using an Extrex Vista on loan from a coworker. It has the same problem of turning off randomly. My coworker knew of the problem and told me about it before loaning me the unit. He says he got an RMA number from Garmin at some point to get it sent in for repair but he never got around to mailing it in. When I give the unit back to him, he plans on calling Garmin again and getting his RMA number so he can get it fixed.

:)

I am using an Extrex Vista on loan from a coworker. It has the same problem of turning off randomly. My coworker knew of the problem and told me about it before loaning me the unit. He says he got an RMA number from Garmin at some point to get it sent in for repair but he never got around to mailing it in. When I give the unit back to him, he plans on calling Garmin again and getting his RMA number so he can get it fixed.

REI...REI...REI

:mad:

REI...REI...REI

:signalviolin:

Unfortuntely we didn't buy this one at REI :( ..I suppose there is no chance we can just take it there and try..lol.

If it's anything like our 60CS, it's probably turning off because the batteries are momentarily losing contact. It's a known problem with the original 60CS's (which we have) which we've solved (sort of) by putting some padding behind the battery contacts. However, some batteries are longer than others and it still turns off if we bump it when we use "short" ones.

If it's anything like our 60CS, it's probably turning off because the batteries are momentarily losing contact. It's a known problem with the original 60CS's (which we have) which we've solved (sort of) by putting some padding behind the battery contacts. However, some batteries are longer than others and it still turns off if we bump it when we use "short" ones.

I've seen in the GPS Units forums about this fix; it seems to work for most folks.

I've had my Vista for +2 yrs and a 60CS for about 9 months. Knock on wood, I've never had this problem with either unit.

Once, after replacing batteries, I noticed the fresh batteries sat kinda loose on my Vista, so, I just used a pen to bend out the tabs.

Now, the screen blanks out every so often, but the unit remains on. It's probably due to the numerous drops and bumps; I've had two nasty bike spills where the Vista got knocked off the handlebar bracket..

Just back in (and laundry is started) from a camping weeend in Anza Borrego.  I kept the cache list short since it was the entire family but we hit RM's Over the Edge (GCAFFA) cache.  At Indian Canyon, it was our first ever sighting of Big Horn Sheep! 

381ba073-23a4-483d-b073-12eec1521762.jpg

1d91ff7c-f119-4357-a731-026a33eea449.jpg

Somehow I don't think the promise of better images will get me a Canon 300D or a Nikon D50 with a telephoto lens.  Sigh.

Nice photos of a rare siting Dan-oh!

Edited by TrailGators
Just back in (and laundry is started) from a camping weeend in Anza Borrego. I kept the cache list short since it was the entire family but we hit RM's Over the Edge (GCAFFA) cache. At Indian Canyon, it was our first ever sighting of Big Horn Sheep!

381ba073-23a4-483d-b073-12eec1521762.jpg

1d91ff7c-f119-4357-a731-026a33eea449.jpg

Somehow I don't think the promise of better images will get me a Canon 300D or a Nikon D50 with a telephoto lens. Sigh.

Sweet! Thanks for posting these.

Who's want to join me to complete the Proctor Valley Monster Cache? (GCG0A2)

I know Team Adelos wanted to do it at a full moon. I'm thinking next Saturday or Sunday night at about 6 p.m. I'm not sure the moon will be full then but at least there WILL be a moon.

Count me in!!! Is there any better time to cache??? Just don't forget the bee/snake/mountain lion repellant!!! :signalviolin:

I know Team Adelos wanted to do it at a full moon.  I'm thinking next Saturday or Sunday night at about 6 p.m. I'm not sure the moon will be full then but at least there WILL be a moon.

Count me in!!! Is there any better time to cache??? Just don't forget the bee/snake/mountain lion repellant!!! :signalviolin:

I am up for it. Just let me know when. I will try to be down early for other caches in the area first though. :mad:

I have been emailing back and forth with Team Adelos. Next Sunday is the next date he is trying for. (was going to try for yesterday but there were other events already scheduled)

I know Team Adelos wanted to do it at a full moon.  I'm thinking next Saturday or Sunday night at about 6 p.m. I'm not sure the moon will be full then but at least there WILL be a moon.

I am up for it. Just let me know when. I will try to be down early for other caches in the area first though. :mad:

. . .

And now there will be two more caches in Jamul for you to find. I submitted them this evening . . . and one of them has this white jeep in it. :(

Jeep_601.jpg

I know Team Adelos wanted to do it at a full moon. I'm thinking next Saturday or Sunday night at about 6 p.m. I'm not sure the moon will be full then but at least there WILL be a moon.

We have a wedding on Saturday, but maybe Sunday. :signalviolin: I will have to see what is gong on. I never get out as much as I want to! We have been wanting to do that one for some time. Weather has to be good though. I dont think you want to be out there if it is raining...

Adelos

We have a wedding on Saturday, but maybe Sunday. :signalviolin: I will have to see what is gong on. I never get out as much as I want to! We have been wanting to do that one for some time. Weather has to be good though. I dont think you want to be out there if it is raining...

Adelos

sunday is good for part of the Dillon Gang

We have a wedding on Saturday, but maybe Sunday. :mad: I will have to see what is gong on. I never get out as much as I want to! We have been wanting to do that one for some time. Weather has to be good though. I dont think you want to be out there if it is raining...

Adelos

Let's meet Sunday November 19 at 6 p.m. at the trailhead. All are welcome. Bring flashlights or headlamps and whatever monster-scaring devices you have. :signalviolin:

Yup . . . I can't finish editing my cache pages or do the Bug Drop . . .

They are working on it.

I got this...

Server Error in '/' Application.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Geocaching.UI._default.CreateDropdowns() +389

Geocaching.UI._default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +95

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

I got this...

Server Error in '/' Application.

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Source Error:

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Stack Trace:

[NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.]

Geocaching.UI._default.CreateDropdowns() +389

Geocaching.UI._default.Page_Load(Object sender, EventArgs e) +95

System.Web.UI.Control.OnLoad(EventArgs e) +67

System.Web.UI.Control.LoadRecursive() +35

System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain() +750

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.2032; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.2032

We have a wedding on Saturday, but maybe Sunday. :mad: I will have to see what is gong on. I never get out as much as I want to! We have been wanting to do that one for some time. Weather has to be good though. I dont think you want to be out there if it is raining...

Adelos

Let's meet Sunday November 19 at 6 p.m. at the trailhead. All are welcome. Bring flashlights or headlamps and whatever monster-scaring devices you have. :signalviolin:

We may try to get out there also, it sounds like a blast.

I've been wanting to do this cache for a while but I was too scared. I used to live down there and remember all the stories about the monster.

Have you heard the one about the two teenagers that had their car break down...

It looks like it's back up. Everyone hurry and log in at once, let's see if we can knock them out again.

doesn't look like it is working for me. :mad:

Me three....

Me three... :signalviolin:

works for me for the moment.

Not for me...

Luckily I logged my finds already. I try to avoid weekend nights because the server seems to always be slowwwww or dead....

Not for me...

Luckily I logged my finds already. I try to avoid weekend nights because the server seems to always be slowwwww or dead....

I was busy with The Basilisk earlier. Forum was down after I got all the dirt off of me. I could hold off till work tomorrow but that makes it hard to upload pictures. :signalviolin:

Adelos

Let's meet Sunday November 19 at 6 p.m. at the trailhead. All are welcome. Bring flashlights or headlamps and whatever monster-scaring devices you have. :mad:

I've been wanting to do this cache for a while but I was too scared. I used to live down there and remember all the stories about the monster.

If you have not, here it is:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/2...m24monster.html

Edit: I didn't know Harmon was a sexagenarian, is that legal in this state?

Edited by Duncan!

Adelos

Let's meet Sunday November 19 at 6 p.m. at the trailhead. All are welcome. Bring flashlights or headlamps and whatever monster-scaring devices you have. :mad:

If you have not, here it is:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/2...m24monster.html

Edit: I didn't know Harmon was a sexagenarian, is that legal in this state?

Shoot far! ... why is ever'body always pickin' on me?

Truth is that was a weird telephone interview. The reporter called to ask about our group of SD Rowdies hitting that cache late one night. The reporter was definitely hoping for a bunch of weirdos that truly believed in the monster and as a bonus had been abducted by aliens. Oddly enough this is the first time I've seen the resulting article. As I recall it was $kimmer that put us up to the late-night adventure.

Sexagenarians huh? Why I oughta ....

Edited by SD Rowdies