The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Anybody want to carpool to these events from Escondido?

I figured I could drive to the first one, which is way out in the sticks in Ramona. Then the other carpooler could be the designated driver for the second one! So the plan is to pick up trash at the first one and then to get trashed at the second one! :rolleyes:

HEY!! sticks? :D That's actually a compliment for us wanting to get outta the city.

Might want a high clearance vehicle to cruise through the MTB series by Toby's Gang and a few up the way to the top of Black Mountain.......see the Black Canyon Area Caches bookmarks.

Those down the hill folks just don't understand.... :D

looks like I still need to hit all the caches on that list aside from the Duck Farm.... guess I know what I will be doing after the CITO. :blink:

Anybody want to carpool to these events from Escondido?

I figured I could drive to the first one, which is way out in the sticks in Ramona. Then the other carpooler could be the designated driver for the second one! So the plan is to pick up trash at the first one and then to get trashed at the second one! :rolleyes:

HEY!! sticks? :D That's actually a compliment for us wanting to get outta the city.

Might want a high clearance vehicle to cruise through the MTB series by Toby's Gang and a few up the way to the top of Black Mountain.......see the Black Canyon Area Caches bookmarks.

PW tell me this CITO event doesn't involve another brutal hike! The last CITO event should have been called a CITOPO: Cache in, Trash out, Pass out. :blink:

Should only be a few hours with an orientation and breakfast at the Forest Service Headquarters before we head out

It will be very laid back compared to the Cedar Creek Falls Ironman Clean-up Event. Pretty much picking up trash around the bridge and up at the swimming hole, maybe help spraypaint over some of the graffitti on the bridge. Heck, for those heading out on the truck trails they can cache and trash-out at the same time.

However, if you want to do "Plan B" and run up the Black Mountain Truck Trail with Gecko Dad you can do that too. :D

No thanks! Gators are big and slow moving creatures, nothing like a gecko! :D

You forget to answer my second question.....

Edited by TrailGators

Those down the hill folks just don't understand.... :D

looks like I still need to hit all the caches on that list aside from the Duck Farm.... guess I know what I will be doing after the CITO. :rolleyes:

Or cache during the CITO Event :blink:

Yes...Durango is plenty bueno

PW tell me this CITO event doesn't involve another brutal hike! The last CITO event should have been called a CITOPO: Cache in, Trash out, Pass out. :rolleyes:

By the way, I have a 4x4 Durango. Is that high-clearance enough?

I am pretty sure I know where the bridge is but I have never stopped at the "local swimming hole". I believe this is almost a drive-by CITO (not much of a hike). I have seen passenger cars out on Black Canyon Road before.

Or cache during the CITO Event :rolleyes:

Yes...Durango is plenty bueno

Already had plans to go check for trash a little ways away from the event locations... just don't know if I could explain the drive off to Sutherland Dam to look for more trash....

Will anyone be replacing the 2 missing caches before the event?

I actually "worked" for REI for a couple of days (interesting story...no, I wasn't fired for insubordination).  Anyway, at the employee orientation they explained in very great detail how the company works.  The reason they have such an outstanding return policy and can still have competitive pricing is because REI is a co-op and not a corporation.  Basically the consumers run the company by becoming co-op members and they have the opportunity to vote on the direction of the company and its policies.  The also "vote" through their purchases and those products that are durable, efficient, and customer-friendly are the products stocked at REI stores.  For every purchase made, the members increase their stock in the company and they are paid dividends accordingly.  Kind of a neat way to operate isn't it??

Well . . . I bet I've been shopping at REI longer than any of the rest of you . . . :D I just can't afford to shop there very often anymore . . . :rolleyes:

Anyone want to compare REI membership numbers? :blink: Mine only has six digits. :D

Is anyone here also a member of TerraCaching.com and if so, would you be willing to sponsor us on the web site?

I see you are already sponsored. That didn't take long! Its not who you know, but where you go!

You Betcha :rolleyes:

Do they have many listings in the SD area? I tried looking through the site but it seems you can see almost nothing unless you are a full sposored member...

Is anyone here also a member of TerraCaching.com and if so, would you be willing to sponsor us on the web site?

I see you are already sponsored. That didn't take long! Its not who you know, but where you go!

Do they have many listings in the SD area? I tried looking through the site but it seems you can see almost nothing unless you are a full sposored member...

No, they don't have a lot of listings and most of them are on the top of peaks around Anza Borrego. T.R. Violin has several of the listings in So Cal. RM

It seems that TerraCaching.com is much younger than Geocaching.com and places an emphasis on quality not quantity. I found out about the site from TexasGeocaching.com and the Texas Geocoins LeoGeo was kind enough to bring to CA. Looks like the Terracaches in the SD area are thin in numbers. Maybe we could change that :blink:

Looks like most of the caches are Mtn and desert areas. I see Gecko Dad is also a member with some finds. The closest one to Carlsbad is 75 miles (Mt Laguna) with the following 13 caches up to 95 miles away (Indianhead Peak - Anza Borrego ) Might be fun to find some near existing GC caches!

Looks like most of the caches are Mtn and desert areas. I see Gecko Dad is also a member with some finds. The closest one to Carlsbad is 75 miles (Mt Laguna) with the following 13 caches up to 95 miles away (Indianhead Peak - Anza Borrego ) Might be fun to find some near existing GC caches!

Thanks T&C and KT and others for sponsoring me so quickly on TC! I wonder if I set some kind of record because it only took about 2 minutes to become a full member! :rolleyes: Anyhow, I'll check it out! :blink:

Edited by TrailGators
REI does have a generous return policy . . . which is why their "Used Gear" sale is such a success.

However, since I have seen well-worn and damaged items at that sale, I think their return policy should be a bit less-generous.

Being able to return sandals on which the straps had been cut short, or a GPS cigarette adapter that had been "modified" beyond usability, or four-year-old pants with ripped lining, or a stuff sack that had been abused and torn seems a bit too generous.  :blink:

Maybe REI wouldn't stand for "Really Expensive Inside" if their return policy was a bit less generous . . .  :rolleyes:

They are rated one of the best companies in the world to work for...and financially they are doing quite well. Why change what is working.

Yes...some people will always take advantage of a generous return policy...but because of that same policy REI has gained a tremendously loyal following.

To me it is a no-brainer...If I need to buy something...and REI sells it...I buy from REI. However comma I would never return a pair of pants or shoes that were worn out. But I have gone through sevral GPSRs in less than a year. Not only do I not have to worry about the MFGs warranty I do not have to ship it across the country to get it repaired and do not have to wait for a replacement.

So the bottom line is, I save money and do not lose valuble caching time.

For me hindsight is 20-20... :D

I just got my "repaired" 60CS back from Garmin and now the piece of crap won't acquire any satellites. Now I really wish I had bought the thing at REI!

Edit: I finally got it to work!!!! I had to stand outside for a loooong time. Then I picked the option for new location and it seemed to help and after about 5 more minutes it locked in. I turned it on and off and it acquired again after about 3 minutes or so...

Edited by TrailGators
Anyone want to compare REI membership numbers? :blink: Mine only has six digits.  :rolleyes:

the last four digits of our phone #. My dad got us a lifetime family membership in Portland when I was in the 8th grade, I'm 43 now. That would have been '75 I geuss

Back then it was just a big warehouse full of gear and hippies. Concrete floor. Don't recall any trendy advertising or fancy displays. But there was a wealth of info enabling a novice to make informed purchasing decisions. I still use the REI-brand backpack frame Dad bought for me the day he bought the membership, though I'm on the 3rd pack for it. Made the first pack from a Frostline kit, remember them?

Edited by Team T&S

I'm surprised you have a four digit number. I think I got my membership in '74.

I do remember the Frostline kits, although I don't think I ever made anything from one. However, I did order ripstop and coated nylon from REI to make things from "scratch." :rolleyes: I still have a sleeping bag cover I made way back then . . .

Thanks T&C and KT and others for sponsoring me so quickly on TC! I wonder if I set some kind of record because it only took about 2 minutes to become a full member! :rolleyes: Anyhow, I'll check it out! :D

Terracaches are generally in the 4 or 5-star terrain category (e.g. summit of Indianhead, summit of Sunset Mountain, summit of Marble Mountain). Well worth the effort to see some very special places. You'll be lucky to get more than one in an entire hiking day although there are some "clusters", such as three at Rosa Point, Marble Mountain, and Mile High Mountain. At this time of year, you can should expect to start in the dark and may not get back until dark, at least on the serious ones. There are also more accessible Terracaches (Grapevine Mountain, Wilson Peak) that are still good 4-star workouts. There are only 24 within 100 miles of the Gecko pad. I've done 5 and missed another three on climbs before I knew there were Terracaches present.

BTW, I'm very interested in doing Sunset Mountain some time this season.

-Gecko Dad

Edited by Team Gecko

Maybe I better check...I haven't actually made a purchase in years. But I'm pretty sure its just "4633". Maybe being in Portland or it being a family membership makes a diff.

I just went online and filled out the form to find my number. Thanks for making me question it, it's about time I git my butt in there and looked around. The last time I was even in one was in Boise in 92.

Edited by Team T&S

Thanks T&C and KT and others for sponsoring me so quickly on TC! I wonder if I set some kind of record because it only took about 2 minutes to become a full member! :rolleyes: Anyhow, I'll check it out! :D

Terracaches are generally in the 4 or 5-star terrain category (e.g. summit of Indianhead, summit of Sunset Mountain, summit of Marble Mountain). Well worth the effort to see some very special places. You'll be lucky to get more than one in an entire hiking day although there are some "clusters", such as three at Rosa Point, Marble Mountain, and Mile High Mountain. At this time of year, you can should expect to start in the dark and may not get back until dark, at least on the serious ones. There are also more accessible Terracaches (Grapevine Mountain, Wilson Peak) that are still good 4-star workouts. There are only 24 within 100 miles of the Gecko pad. I've done 5 and missed another three on climbs before I knew there were Terracaches present.

BTW, I'm very interested in doing Sunset Mountain some time this season.

-Gecko Dad

I'd like to do some of those but I need to get back into good shape first. The Sunday football couch potato routine will make it tough to do those kind of hikes right now. The hardest hike I've ever done (probably a breeze to many of you guys) is 12.5 miles roundtrip with a vertical gain of 2500 feet. The tough part was the altitude headache from running out of water on the way up. Anyhow, that one only took 4.5 hours, so an all day hike sounds like a quantum leap tougher than that one.

Edit: I finally got it to work!!!! I had to stand outside for a loooong time. Then I picked the option for new location and it seemed to help and after about 5 more minutes it locked in. I turned it on and off and it acquired again after about 3 minutes or so...

In the old days (but not as old as Miragee's REI number :rolleyes: ), it would typically take about 12-20 minutes for a GPS to acquire satellites when first powered on. The toughest thing was acquiring the first satellite. Once it had that, it could decode ephemeris data that told it what other satellites should be in view and the next two or three satellites could be acquired faster. Now a days, the GPSr manufacturers have developed various tricks to shorten the acquisition time but if a lot of time and/or distance has passed since the unit was turned on, it's going to take longer than normal to find and lock onto a set of satellites..

Edit: The Etrex that I just got (courtesy of the Jeep contest) woke up thinking that it was in Taiwan (I looked at the map display)...it took about 10 minutes to figure out that it "...wasn't in Kansas anymore..."

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer

In the old days (but not as old as Miragee's REI number :rolleyes: ), it would typically take about 12-20 minutes for a GPS to acquire satellites when first powered on. The toughest thing was acquiring the first satellite. Once it had that, it could decode ephemeris data that told it what other satellites should be in view and the next two or three satellites could be acquired faster. Now a days, the GPSr manufacturers have developed various tricks to shorten the acquisition time but if a lot of time and/or distance has passed since the unit was turned on, it's going to take longer than normal to find and lock onto a set of satellites..

Thanks for the info! For those of you that had to pull out the dictionary (like me); an ephemeris is a table giving the coordinates of a celestial body at a number of specific times during a given period. Anyhow, I'm just happy to have my geepus back, now I can get back out there!

Edited by TrailGators
I'd like to do some of those but I need to get back into good shape first. The Sunday football couch potato routine will make it tough to do those kind of hikes right now. The hardest hike I've ever done (probably a breeze to many of you guys) is 12.5 miles roundtrip with a vertical gain of 2500 feet. The tough part was the altitude headache from running out of water on the way up. Anyhow, that one only took 4.5 hours, so an all day hike sounds like a quantum leap tougher than that one.

that sounds much closer to my level than the all day hike. You aren't the only one out of shape here. :rolleyes:

Yikes! I didn't realize that the TerraCaches were so difficult. We hiked Mission Trails Park North & South Fortuna this weekend and that exhausted us. By the end, Capie, who thinks every little rabbit, bird, or lizard is a mountain lion ready to pounce, was thinking "Just eat me and get it over with!" :rolleyes: We made it back to the car at 4:55 PM as the ranger was starting to write a ticket. Close call.

We came across this interesting box and at first thought it was a geocache that I forgot to enter into the GPSr. Not the case. Anyone else stopped to read the logs?

48860868-e527-47fd-9462-225322bca8ab.jpg

I'm surprised you have a four digit number. I think I got my membership in '74.

I do remember the Frostline kits, although I don't think I ever made anything from one. However, I did order ripstop and coated nylon from REI to make things from "scratch." :rolleyes: I still have a sleeping bag cover I made way back then . . .

Frostline? Are they the ones where you can buy a kit to make a ski jacket, etc? In high school, in home ec & "bachelor survival" classes, about 2/3rd of the people made their own winter jackets. We had candles (for singeing the edge of the nylon) & down all over the room.

<snip>

What do you think...???

I think that cache maintenance issues should go straight to the cache owner and cache suitability problems shoud go to the approver, via email. Forums are for things that concern the entire caching community.

I also think concerns about other cachers should be taken care of via email as well.

Its that whole "dirty laundry in public" thang. icon_puke_r.gif

Yikes! I didn't realize that the TerraCaches were so difficult. We hiked Mission Trails Park North & South Fortuna this weekend and that exhausted us. By the end, Capie, who thinks every little rabbit, bird, or lizard is a mountain lion ready to pounce, was thinking "Just eat me and get it over with!" :D We made it back to the car at 4:55 PM as the ranger was starting to write a ticket. Close call.

We came across this interesting box and at first thought it was a geocache that I forgot to enter into the GPSr. Not the case. Anyone else stopped to read the logs?

48860868-e527-47fd-9462-225322bca8ab.jpg

Nice poles.....where's the snow ? :rolleyes:

Anyone want to compare REI membership numbers? :D Mine only has six digits.  :rolleyes:

the last four digits of our phone #. My dad got us a lifetime family membership in Portland when I was in the 8th grade, I'm 43 now. That would have been '75 I geuss

Back then it was just a big warehouse full of gear and hippies. Concrete floor. Don't recall any trendy advertising or fancy displays. But there was a wealth of info enabling a novice to make informed purchasing decisions. I still use the REI-brand backpack frame Dad bought for me the day he bought the membership, though I'm on the 3rd pack for it. Made the first pack from a Frostline kit, remember them?

"big warehouse full of gear and hippies"

Still is.......

Wow, that is quite a hike . . . I don't think I've every hiked that far except for many years ago in the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park.

I'm glad you got the Geepus working again. :D (That's the nickname for mine also. :rolleyes: )

Now, to get in shape for those desert caches, come out to Jamul and do my caches on Mt. McGinty, and/or the "Couch" series by LostGuy51 in Hollenbeck Canyon. B)

Wow, that is quite a hike . . . I don't think I've every hiked that far except for many years ago in the Maze District of Canyonlands National Park.

I'm glad you got the Geepus working again. :D (That's the nickname for mine also. :rolleyes: )

Now, to get in shape for those desert caches, come out to Jamul and do my caches on Mt. McGinty, and/or the "Couch" series by LostGuy51 in Hollenbeck Canyon. B)

There are a bunch down that way I'd like to do. I still have 3-4 SCC caches to do including the one that you need to bring a ladder. It is quite a haul to get down there from up north but I'll do it one of these days! B)

<snip>

What do you think...???

I think that cache maintenance issues should go straight to the cache owner and cache suitability problems shoud go to the approver, via email. Forums are for things that concern the entire caching community.

I also think concerns about other cachers should be taken care of via email as well.

Its that whole "dirty laundry in public" thang. icon_puke_r.gif

Kick ’em when they’re up

Kick ’em when they’re down

Kick ’em when they’re stiff

Kick ’em all around

Dirty little secrets

Dirty little lies

We got our dirty little fingers in everybody’s pie

We love to cut you down to size

We love dirty laundry

I agree and you all can have this song stuck in your heads for the rest of the day too! :rolleyes:

Edited by TrailGators

I actually just got "sponsored" for terracaching.com. I'm not sure what it's all about but it seems to be the caching site for those who only want extreme challenges. And it has more of a community policing system it seems. It does take several veiled jabs at GC.com on its front page, so that's a little off-putting.

But I'm going to go after my 1st TerraCache after work tonight. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt, but it seems to have a small chip on its shoulder at the get-go.

</my $0.02>

--TT--