The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

We work at the UCSD Medical School in the Pathology department. Wow there are a whole bunch of lab cachers here :huh:

Don't forget the crime lab. :huh:

I really loved the Questioned Documents course I took while doing my masters.

Thanks, I really loved teaching it. ;-)

Edited by QDman
I was thinking of putting a cache near these turbines and calling it "Blow Me", but I haven't had the guts to do it, yet.

Hopefully they wouldn't approve it.

Approved caches:

Mickey Mouse Balls

Sharks got Balls!

Ducks With Balls

We've Got Big Balls

Got Balls?

Swinging Balls (OK enough of the balls)

It Sucks? It Blows?

The Sucky Thang

This Sucks

Cameltoe Cache

Blow me Away

It has to do with context. There are caches with the words "dick", "slut" and "boob".

Anyone care to share their favourite caches around Carlsbad? Friends of ours live up there and we want to go geocaching with them.

TIA! <_<

I enjoyed "The Batiquitos Lagoon Cache" as my first find. My son and I did it at night which added to the fun. Nscaler hid it a few years ago, and I adopted it when he moved South.

Have fun,

Ruscal

I was thinking of putting a cache near these turbines and calling it "Blow Me", but I haven't had the guts to do it, yet.

turbines280.jpg

When we're out in the Palm Springs area, I try and convince my kids that "those big fans" are making it so windy.

Oh yeah, Calvin's dad is my hero!

ch_bridge.gif

ch_bridge.gif

Do these conversations sound familiar?

Q. Dad, will you explain the theory of relativity to me? I don't understand why time goes slower at great speed.

A. It's because you keep changing time zones. See, if you fly to California, you gain three hours on a five-hour flight, right? So if you go at the speed of light, you gain more time, because it doesn't take as long to get there. Of course, the theory of relativity only works if you're going west.

Q. Why do my eyes shut when I sneeze?

A. If your lids weren't closed, the force of the explosion would blow your eyeballs out and stretch the optic nerve, so your eyes would flop around and you'd have to point them with your hands to see anything.

Q. How do bank machines work?

A. Well, let's say you want 25 dollars. You punch in the amount and behind the machine there's a guy with a printing press who makes the money and sticks it out this slot.

Q. Sort of like the guy who lives up in our garage and opens the door?

A. Exactly.

If so, please seek help. Statistics show that children who had a "Calvin's Dad" are 5.7 times more likely to become a "Calvin's Dad" when they grow up. Break the cycle.

turbines280.jpg

When we're out in the Palm Springs area, I try and convince my kids that "those big fans" are making it so windy.

That is just too funny. I will have to use that one! :anibad:

Adelos

B)  Question:

What's the exact HTML code needed to generate a link in your forum signature ? I've tried several options without success. :anibad:

It should be standard HTML, not the BBcode stuff that works on posts in the forums. So instead of using URL in square brackets, you have to use pointy brackets <> around this:

a href="http://www.mylink.com"

then write what you want the link to underline, then another set of pointy brackets enclosing /a

I've changed my sig to test it...

B)  Question:

What's the exact HTML code needed to generate a link in your forum signature ? I've tried several options without success. :anibad:

It should be standard HTML, not the BBcode stuff that works on posts in the forums. So instead of using URL in square brackets, you have to use pointy brackets <> around this:

a href="http://www.mylink.com"

then write what you want the link to underline, then another set of pointy brackets enclosing /a

I've changed my sig to test it...

OK, that didn't work for me either. Miragee's sig has an extra bit of HTML within the starting tag, saying target="_blank" so I've just put that in mine to try it....

:anibad:  Question:

What's the exact HTML code needed to generate a link in your forum signature ? I've tried several options without success. B)

You use the code with the brackets around it, instead of the HTML '<' and '>' like this, except without the spaces.

[ URL=http://www.URL.com/ ] Name of link [ /URL]

I remember it took me quite a while to figure that out . . . B)

Close To Home 2

Was enabled as of today....It only took 3 e-mails to Admin over the last 6 months....and a few to the, MIA, owner...who never responded.

Man I am a cache adopting fool. :D

PS Read the logs...this cach has quite a history.

Funny, after I had my adventure with this cache, I offered to adpot it. The owner refused my offer. Way to go, Dave!

D!

Be on the look out for the all new "Blonds Run Amuck Commemorative Smashed Penny".  Coming to a cache near you. ;)

Where do you get these made? I assume you don't have your own penny smasher! :D

Put them on the railroad track and cross your fingers. :D

This is what you do in MN when it's winter 8 months out of the year....

Smashed Pennies

Edited by PassingWind

Thought some of you may find this website interesting: HPWREN

High Performance Wireless Research & Education Network cameras. They're pretty helpful for checking on regional conditions (like forest fires!).

And in case your wondering:

Quote:

The primary need for a guidelines update was because of Waymarking.com's soft rollout yesterday. The main change was to add a new section at the end of the Guidelines to deal with cache types that are no longer available for new cache submissions. Everything about locationless, virtuals, webcams and earthcaches now appears in a new section, called "Guidelines that Apply to Grandfathered Cache Types."

Among other things: (1) the maintenance requirements for existing grandfathered caches remain in effect; (2) it's made clear that all locationless caches will be archived and locked at the end of this year; and (3) the present plan for existing virtuals and webcams to remain on the geocaching.com site as "grandfathered" is stated. Note: the text says "Caches which existed before August of 2005 have been allowed to remain as grandfathered caches." This was accurate when Hydee and I were writing the new draft in August, but to match reality, the sentence needs to be changed to read "November of 2005." Sorry for any confusion on that.

There were other changes and clarifications unrelated to the Waymarking.com rollout, but these were minor in comparison.

Edited by PassingWind
Has anyone noticed the new thing on your "My Cache Page", a little link on the side saying "My Stat Bar"?

Great, now I'm off on a distraction to get that in my forum sig :) (which is probably not going to work!) - On edit: it did work, as a link!

Edited by ahimsa
Has anyone noticed the new thing on your "My Cache Page", a little link on the side saying "My Stat Bar"? It controls your little box of stats and the message for your profile link. Even though you could already change the text with a little wangling, they've now made it much easier - have a look! Go to your own My Statbar

Yes, but only because I couldn't find the link to the PQs because they rearranged the page. It would be nice if GC had a little blurb called "What's New" on your profile page. They could also add future enhancements to that same blurb!

Yeah, but the most common (in my opinion) manipulation of the waypoint names is to change the first two GC characters, include the standard GC number after that, follow with a space and then follow with what ever other stuff anyone wants to add. So, all Boulter needs to do is change the first two characters to GC and then dump the first space and everything after it. In the old days when I used to program with BASIC, this would be a piece of cake with string commands. RM

Alright, someone want to send me a PQ with the most "common" form of smartname to see if I can reliably guess if it's a smartname or not?

What about a waypoint like GCXX? How would I tell if it's actually GCXX or "shortened" from GCGCXX?

Yeah, but the most common (in my opinion) manipulation of the waypoint names is to change the first two GC characters, include the standard GC number after that, follow with a space and then follow with what ever other stuff anyone wants to add.  So, all Boulter needs to do is change the first two characters to GC and then dump the first space and everything after it.  In the old days when I used to program with BASIC, this would be a piece of cake with string commands.  RM

Alright, someone want to send me a PQ with the most "common" form of smartname to see if I can reliably guess if it's a smartname or not?

What about a waypoint like GCXX? How would I tell if it's actually GCXX or "shortened" from GCGCXX?

This is the smart name format that Rocket Man was referring to: %typ1%con1%drop2 %ter1

Examples:

TRABCD 1 (GCABCD)

TSDEF 2 (GCDEF)

Perhaps you could just add checkbox options like:

1) Replace first 2 characters with GC

2) Drop space and everything to the right of the space

Or you could just add a checkbox for certain smartname formats like:

Convert smartname: %typ1%con1%drop2 %ter1

Anyhow, I just sent you a gpx file using this smartname format for 500 caches in San Diego.

Thanks for looking at this! :D

Edited by TrailGators
For what it's worth, I use this format for the Smart Names on my GPSr and in Cachemate:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1

It is easier to find the cache by name that way . . .

For Mapsource, I add the Terrain and Difficulty:

%smart=6 %con1%typ1 %dif1%ter1

There would be no way for a waypoint that was named using the %smart tag to get back to the GC number, so your naming in Cachemate would never be able to work for Express Logger. As a minimum, you have to keep the XXXX portion of GCXXXX in tact as part of the waypoint name. RM

I don't use the Express Logger. I have the Opera browser, so from GSAK, I open each of the cache pages in a separate tab.

Sometimes I have more than 30 pages open at a time . . . :ninja:

Using my brief notes in Cachemate, I just work my way through each of the cache pages and then close them when I have finished logging the details.

I don't use the Express Logger. I have the Opera browser, so from GSAK, I open each of the cache pages in a separate tab.

Sometimes I have more than 30 pages open at a time . . . :lol:

Using my brief notes in Cachemate, I just work my way through each of the cache pages and then close them when I have finished logging the details.

That's nice to know Miragee but....

RM and I were trying to work with Jeff Boulter (the author of the "Express Logger" website) to see if he could add an option to his website to support the smartnames that we use from GSAK. :ninja: