The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

sooo, will it be worth it for Rogue and I to come out for just a few hours on saturday night? will there be night caching? Rogue has class till ~4 so we would not be able to make it till 6-7 and we would not be staying overnight. Still trying to decided if we should come out or not.....

All your caches found will come up in the order you found them (assuming you hit the "mark time" button on cachemate) and your notes from the cachemate log page will be there for you to copy&paste or just remind you what you traded. It's all pretty self explanatory really.

Have you ever had problems with the cache logs (Using Express Logger)? When I tried your steps to view the cache log, I got the gc error: "We were unable to find a listing in the system." I tried another time using another cache and it pulled up the wrong cache to log. Instead of the cache 25 Acres, it pulled up a cache called Grizzly Mountainin Oregon! I must be doing something wrong, but this one stumbled me. I am using CacheMate V4.1.1 Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

All your caches found will come up in the order you found them (assuming you hit the "mark time" button on cachemate) and your notes from the cachemate log page will be there for you to copy&paste or just remind you what you traded. It's all pretty self explanatory really.

Have you ever had problems with the cache logs (Using Express Logger)? When I tried your steps to view the cache log, I got the gc error: "We were unable to find a listing in the system." I tried another time using another cache and it pulled up the wrong cache to log. Instead of the cache 25 Acres, it pulled up a cache called Grizzly Mountainin Oregon! I must be doing something wrong, but this one stumbled me. I am using CacheMate V4.1.1 Any ideas anyone? Thanks.

The thing with the express logger is that you have to use the exact GCxxxx code when you export from GSAK to your Cachemate database. If you use a smart name, or change the code to tell you terrain or whatever, Express Logger can't pass that to gc.com and spit out the correct cache page.

The thing with the express logger is that you have to use the exact GCxxxx code when you export from GSAK to your Cachemate database. If you use a smart name, or change the code to tell you terrain or whatever, Express Logger can't pass that to gc.com and spit out the correct cache page.

That did the trick. THANKS! Excellent program. I'm all set now except for one more thing... I have the smart names on my GPSr - is there an easy way to list them in the Palm to cross reference them to the cache files? Its always something... What do you do? Thanks again.

That did the trick. THANKS! Excellent program. I'm all set now except for one more thing... I have the smart names on my GPSr - is there an easy way to list them in the Palm to cross reference them to the cache files? Its always something... What do you do? Thanks again.

I always make sure my waypoint names start with the GC code minus the GC (%drop2) - that way you can cross reference them anywhere you use them

No you have to convert the smart names on your GPS back to GC**** and then look then up on your Palm. The tricky part is going the other way but I am getting better at it.

I always make sure my waypoint names start with the GC code minus the GC (%drop2) - that way you can cross reference them anywhere you use them

If you do it this way you can't use the Express Logger. As Toby already stated the Express Logger needs the actual GC**** to lookup the caches! ;)

If you do it this way you can't use the Express Logger. As Toby already stated the Express Logger needs the actual GC**** to lookup the caches! ;)

Hey, maybe someone should ask Boulter to add some logic to Express Logger so it can hangle the smart names (drop 2, add GC and throw away everything after the number). Anyone want to shoot him an e-mail to ask? Dave

Hey, maybe someone should ask Boulter to add some logic to Express Logger so it can hangle the smart names (drop 2, add GC and throw away everything after the number). Anyone want to shoot him an e-mail to ask? Dave

I just did! Let's see what he says!

He would have to drop the first 2 characters and then append the next 4 characters to "GC". This would get rid of the terrain rating that we also add to the end of our smart names.

Edited by TrailGators

Hey GSAK users, I'm going to violate policy and post a duplicate thread in case you don't see it in the Software forum:

I have three issues I'd like to resolve.

1. How an I transfer the waypoint comments in EasyGPS into GSAK? 

2. When I upload the waypoints from my MAP60, the [incomplete] notes become the waypont name; why?  How do I change this?  Additionally, the icons in the GPS get converted to a question mark icon.  How can I get them to transfer correctly?

2. How do you sort out unfound caches?  I tried the "Found status" boxes in the "General" tab in the filter section, but that didn't do anything.  And yes, I had unfound caches in the PQ.

Tnx.

I'm all set now except for one more thing... I have the smart names on my GPSr - is there an easy way to list them in the Palm to cross reference them to the cache files? Its always something... What do you do? Thanks again.

I have GSAK set to output to my GPSr with different settings than my Cachemate files.

For the GPSr output I use %drop2%typ1%con1%notGC%code, I don't use smart names. This limits the characters to 6 which keeps the screen less cluttered, and lets you see with just a glance at the GPSr what type/difficulty of cache is nearby (e.g. multi/micro comes out as 1234MM, traditional/large comes out as 5678TL). The first four characters are the four after the GC in the waypoint name, so you can easily cross-reference to the website, express logger or Cachemate.

For the Cachemate output I just have %code, which means the waypoints are all GCxxxx in there. The real cache name and other info comes through at the same time, so I don't bother with smart names etc in there either.

My pins are done!!! I'm so excited. I've got two up on eBay right now and they'll be available at the Geo Campout this weekend. After that I'll release them to the public.

FinishedPins.jpg

Hey,

You need to send TT one of those pins. He came across us one time with his legs (in shorts) all scratched up something fierce! He had bushwacked over from another cache. Crazy dude! :D:(

We're in Brawley right now, heading to 78 for the night, then on to S22 in the morn. See ya all out there!

By the way, if any more caches come on line between now & then, can someone give us the data? :(:D

If you do it this way you can't use the Express Logger. As Toby already stated the Express Logger needs the actual GC**** to lookup the caches! :(

He would have to drop the first 2 characters and then append the next 4 characters to "GC". This would get rid of the terrain rating that we also add to the end of our smart names.

I got the answer back:

"The problem is that you can change the format of smartnames in GSAK. I have no idea what the names are coming out as and I can't guess based on a bunch of random numbers and letters.

Jeff"

I'm all set now except for one more thing... I have the smart names on my GPSr - is there an easy way to list them in the Palm to cross reference them to the cache files? Its always something... What do you do? Thanks again.

I have GSAK set to output to my GPSr with different settings than my Cachemate files.

For the GPSr output I use %drop2%typ1%con1%notGC%code, I don't use smart names. This limits the characters to 6 which keeps the screen less cluttered, and lets you see with just a glance at the GPSr what type/difficulty of cache is nearby (e.g. multi/micro comes out as 1234MM, traditional/large comes out as 5678TL). The first four characters are the four after the GC in the waypoint name, so you can easily cross-reference to the website, express logger or Cachemate.

For the Cachemate output I just have %code, which means the waypoints are all GCxxxx in there. The real cache name and other info comes through at the same time, so I don't bother with smart names etc in there either.

My GPS handles 8 digits so I use %typ1%con1%drop2 %ter1 which puts the type and container in the spot where GC" used to be. This also adds a digit at the end for the terrain rating, which is really handy! I use the normal GC# for my Palm too.

If you do it this way you can't use the Express Logger. As Toby already stated the Express Logger needs the actual GC**** to lookup the caches! :(

I got the answer back:

"The problem is that you can change the format of smartnames in GSAK. I have no idea what the names are coming out as and I can't guess based on a bunch of random numbers and letters.

Jeff"

Yeah, but the most common (in my opinion) manipulation of the waypoint names is to change the first two GC characters, include the standard GC number after that, follow with a space and then follow with what ever other stuff anyone wants to add. So, all Boulter needs to do is change the first two characters to GC and then dump the first space and everything after it. In the old days when I used to program with BASIC, this would be a piece of cake with string commands. RM

My GPS handles 8 digits so I use %typ1%con1%drop2 %ter1 which puts the type and container in the spot where GC" used to be. This also adds a digit at the end for the terrain rating, which is really handy! I use the normal GC# for my Palm too.

The other problem is that %drop2 isn't always 4 characters. Older caches might have 3 or even 2!

Hehe, I bet we all do it differently! My complete one for my GPSr (which allows 10 chars) is: %drop2%bug=+-%typ1%con1%dif1%ter1%last4. So the infamous Mad Eye Moody looks like this: PX5Z-TU53F. That way at a glance, I can see the GC code, whether there's a TB in it, the type, container, difficulty and whether it was last found or not found (note: I have to use MapSource to move these into my GPSr because GSAK (i.e GPSBabel) won't allow transferring the +/- chars).

For cachemate, it looks like this: %drop2-%typ1%con1%dif1%ter1-%shortname. Similar, except I don't want the TB or found flags (the waypoint has to be constant). Plus it's not limited to 10 chars. By starting them both with %drop2, I can cross reference them easily.

Right now for GoogleEarth, I'm using this: %drop2/%typ1%con1%dif1%ter1/%last4/%shortname

But it just gets too cluttered. Still looking for an easy way to make the waypoint labels only appear when you mouseover an icon. :(

I got the answer back:

Jeff"

Yeah, but the most common (in my opinion) manipulation of the waypoint names is to change the first two GC characters, include the standard GC number after that, follow with a space and then follow with what ever other stuff anyone wants to add. So, all Boulter needs to do is change the first two characters to GC and then dump the first space and everything after it. In the old days when I used to program with BASIC, this would be a piece of cake with string commands. RM

Maybe you should try emailing him too! :(

Maybe is he hears it from others besides me, he might add an option to do it!

I got the answer back:

Jeff"

Geez you guys are all smart. I write a few things on a slip of paper and I'm out the door. If I had to figure all this out then I would have to give up geocaching.

Hehe, I bet we all do it differently!  My complete one for my GPSr (which allows 10 chars) is:  %drop2%bug=+-%typ1%con1%dif1%ter1%last4.  So the infamous Mad Eye Moody looks like this: PX5Z-TU53F.  That way at a glance, I can see the GC code, whether there's a TB in it, the type, container, difficulty and whether it was last found or not found (note: I have to use MapSource to move these into my GPSr because GSAK (i.e GPSBabel) won't allow transferring the +/- chars).

I like that, but the %dif1 and %ter1 would drive me crazy. What is an 8 terrain? It must be on the moon.

I think I like this better:

%ter1a - Terrain reduced to 1 character, so 1=1, 1.5 = A, 2=2, 2.5=B, 3=3, 3.5=C, 4=4, 4.5=D, 5=5

I got the answer back:

Jeff"

Geez you guys are all smart. I write a few things on a slip of paper and I'm out the door. If I had to figure all this out then I would have to give up geocaching.

Paper is for maps.

Edit: That's my story and I'm sticking to it no matter what those geobabes say!

BTW: Quotes, what quotes?

Edited by Rocket Man

Geez you guys are all smart.  I write a few things on a slip of paper and I'm out the door.  If I had to figure all this out then I would have to give up geocaching.

That's the same thing people said about using PCs. I was really glad to hear that "I can't do it" stuff finally end. Anyhow, it seems like you learned how to use a PC just fine. Using a Palm is actually just as easy. You just have to get the hang of it.

But we are getting very close to having reasonably priced broadband wireless! I think it's down to $60/month now. That is the ULTIMATE!

Edited by TrailGators

Geez you guys are all smart.  I write a few things on a slip of paper and I'm out the door.  If I had to figure all this out then I would have to give up geocaching.

That's the same thing people said about using PCs. I was really glad to hear that "I can't do it" stuff finally end. Anyhow, it seems like you learned how to use a PC just fine. Using a Palm is actually just as easy. You just have to get the hang of it.

But we are getting very close to having reasonably priced broadband wireless! I think it's down to $60/month now. That is the ULTIMATE!

I have my Verizon wireless card, broadband access anywhere makes it really handy while i'm out there. The only thing that limits me is battery life.

The San Diego Thread seems pretty quiet today. I wonder if everyone left town or something.  :drama:

It's nice out there without all the cachegrabbers off the roads. We had all the caches on the coast to ourselves.

The weather was perfect to ZOOM around topless.

We saw the tall ship off the coast of Oceanside do battle. Cannon fired lots of smoke and sound.

Bet you don't see that in the desert... :lol:

Nick & Sharon

TeamGrnZoom

The San Diego Thread seems pretty quiet today. I wonder if everyone left town or something.  :drama:

It's nice out there without all the cachegrabbers off the roads. We had all the caches on the coast to ourselves.

We saw the tall ship off the coast of Oceanside do battle. Cannon fired lots of smoke and sound.

Bet you don't see that in the desert... :drama:

Nick & Sharon

TeamGrnZoom

Sounds like a ton of fun guys. I wish I was there. I bet the bunch in the desert is having a great time also. Mrs. Rocket Man made some chili in honor of the Borrego weekend. I had a bunch tonight. I'm sure she will be happy about that later.

The weather has been great here in Denver. I should have been outside today, but instead I was inside transferring all of my computer components into a new case. The power button failed on my old case and I had to buy a new case and transfer everything into it. It’s like building a whole new computer, but worse because I had to take everything out of the old case first. Of course it didn't go smoothly. The GD power supply in the new box was not compatible with the BIOS on my mother board, so I had to install the old power supply in the new case, install a new BIOS and then put the new power supply back in to the new case. A 1 hour job ended up taking 4 hours, but it is working great now as I type this post.

I look forward to hearing the stories from the desert. I hope no one fell asleep at the campfire and if they did, I want to see the pictures! :lol:

RM

Nick & Sharon

TeamGrnZoom

Sounds like a ton of fun guys. I wish I was there. I bet the bunch in the desert is having a great time also. Mrs. Rocket Man made some chili in honor of the Borrego weekend. I had a bunch tonight. I'm sure she will be happy about that later.

The weather has been great here in Denver. I should have been outside today, but instead I was inside transferring all of my computer components into a new case. The power button failed on my old case and I had to buy a new case and transfer everything into it. It’s like building a whole new computer, but worse because I had to take everything out of the old case first. Of course it didn't go smoothly. The GD power supply in the new box was not compatible with the BIOS on my mother board, so I had to install the old power supply in the new case, install a new BIOS and then put the new power supply back in to the new case. A 1 hour job ended up taking 4 hours, but it is working great now as I type this post.

I look forward to hearing the stories from the desert. I hope no one fell asleep at the campfire and if they did, I want to see the pictures! :lol:

RM

I wonder if Frank ate a bunch of chili tonight too? :drama: For those of you that don't know...Frank is "THE KING!" :drama:

Nick & Sharon

TeamGrnZoom

RM

I wonder if Frank ate a bunch of chili tonight too? :drama: For those of you that don't know...Frank is "THE KING!" :drama:

I was there for the day, but did not stay for the night. I hope to be there next year. I had a blast caching with Cyndi and pedro, JB & LF The Dillon Gang, My Compadre Skillet, and last but not least, my son Fattboy. We where rolling in the desert from laughing at Fattboy and Skillet when Skilllet played different tunes from his baja bug over the external speaker. There will be some great photo to come son. I just have to remember to take alot of no doze so I am not the first to fall asleep.

The San Diego Thread seems pretty quiet today. I wonder if everyone left town or something.  :santa:

Bet you don't see that in the desert... :santa:

Nick & Sharon

TeamGrnZoom

The only water we saw was from Salton Sea.

We did see the International Space Station; that was very kool. Two local cachers saw it too, but I bet we had the best views; it was easy to spot and almost eerie-like.

Hey, Trailgators, send me some of that chilly; I was a chilly judge and had a blast. But man, I had to move my chair next to the potties :santa: .

Has anyone tried the Proctor Valley Monster cache during a full moon?  The kids want to go during a full moon and I though other may want to meet up also.  I think the next full moon is mid - next month.

Adelos

You don't really need the moon if you have the right equipment. You just need to keep it under 25 minutes.. :santa:

That one and The Forbidden Forest are on the list of the ones Rogue actually wants to go do. That just means I have to wait for her before I can go. :santa:

Here's one for only $10 bones......1 MILLION CANDLEPOWER!

I love mine...cause it's cheap

This spot light is only 5 bux at Fry's with the $5.00 mail in rebate.

Wgan EZ Grip halogen spot light, 1,000,000 candlepower with home and auto charger. Can run for 30 mins. continously.

I got one today. Fry's in San Marcos has at least 25 stacked on the top shelf.

Nick

GrnZoom

We need the Broncos to lose today!

Go Bolts!!!!

d3a56f72-d4f5-42ac-b23d-04e3848b54a8.jpg

Too Bad - Go Broncos!!

a6f9a0ac-40d6-4fea-a505-f29b9287ff6a.jpg

Oh no! We have a traitor in our midst!

RM, you can't root for the Broncos and the Chargers!

That's like rooting for the Redskins and the Cowboys

or like rooting for the Packers and the Vikings

or like rooting for USC and UCLA

or like rooting for the Yankees and the Red Sox

You just can't do it!

I lived in Illinois for SIX YEARS and NEVER rooted for the Bears and NEVER quit rooting for the Packers!!!

Anyhow, just wait until the Bolts play the Broncos again!!!!!!!! :santa:

*The good news is that at least you didn't move to Oakland!! :santa:

Edited by TrailGators
We need the Broncos to lose today!

Go Bolts!!!!

d3a56f72-d4f5-42ac-b23d-04e3848b54a8.jpg

Too Bad - Go Broncos!!

a6f9a0ac-40d6-4fea-a505-f29b9287ff6a.jpg

Oh no! We have a traitor in our midst!

RM, you can't root for the Broncos and the Chargers!

That's like rooting for the Redskins and the Cowboys

or like rooting for the Packers and the Vikings

or like rooting for USC and UCLA

or like rooting for the Yankees and the Red Sox

You just can't do it!

I lived in Illinois for SIX YEARS and NEVER rooted for the Bears and NEVER quit rooting for the Packers!!!

Anyhow, just wait until the Bolts play the Broncos again!!!!!!!! :santa:

*The good news is that at least you didn't move to Oakland!! :santa:

One thing about the Chargers & Broncos playing, some of us just can't lose! :santa::santa: