The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Of course, my number would have been much higher a month after I started, as there were so many caches close to home and work. I was picking them off on the way to work, on my lunch break, on the way home from work. Now it takes a little more time to actually get out to the cache sites. Umm...not that it's about the numbers. :mad:

I emailed Zar about Chupy 4.  He said he was going to archive it soon.  I asked him if it would be ok if someone adopted it but I haven't received a response yet.  If you're interested in adopting it, maybe email him directly.....

OK, I e-mailed Bruce and offered to adopt it. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you all informed. If he lets me adopt it, I'll assemble a team to go for a little walkabout....

I just noticed that Walkabout disappeared from my list of caches still to be found. Checked to see if it was really gone. Yup, Zar's gone and archived it... ;)

The Caching Widow/Widower Maker Index (CWMI)...

2.02 Flagman....

Formula: (finds + (hides X 3)) devided by days caching = CWMI.

Lets see your CWMI!

What about TB's? Kathy (the wife/widow) thinks I should get some credit for adopting the Udesignit TB. Not that CWMI isn't bad enough as it is....

There probably ought to be an extra factor for solving TT caches, too! That's bound to drive your numbers up... ;)

(And maybe there should be a factor for time spent reading and responding to the San Diego Thread...)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
I emailed Zar about Chupy 4.  He said he was going to archive it soon.  I asked him if it would be ok if someone adopted it but I haven't received a response yet.  If you're interested in adopting it, maybe email him directly.....

OK, I e-mailed Bruce and offered to adopt it. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you all informed. If he lets me adopt it, I'll assemble a team to go for a little walkabout....

I just noticed that Walkabout disappeared from my list of caches still to be found. Checked to see if it was really gone. Yup, Zar's gone and archived it... ;)

Blame Kawikaturn and me for that. Kawikaturn and I could not find that cache today.

We even called 2 previous finders for a lifeline and we still could not find it. B)

Here's another wacko statistic that seems to indicate a double addiction - caching through a viewfinder ;)

# photos posted/# caches found = 3762/2178 = 1.7

and I thought I may have been taking too many pictures...... good to know there is someone spending more time behind the viewfinder than I am. B)

Here's another wacko statistic that seems to indicate a double addiction - caching through a viewfinder ;)

# photos posted/# caches found = 3762/2178 = 1.7

and I thought I may have been taking too many pictures...... good to know there is someone spending more time behind the viewfinder than I am. B)

Tell me about it.

Blame Kawikaturn and me for that. Kawikaturn and I could not find that cache today.

We even called 2 previous finders for a lifeline and we still could not find it. B)

Well, maybe its time to activate the original Plan M&M Tube... Anyone game for a little Walkabout soon? With the cache container gone, the original Chupy archived, and Zar in hiding (not response to my offer to adopt), I say we start from scratch. Who wants to be in on this? Seems like a group cache would be fun, dontcha think?

Well, maybe its time to activate the original Plan M&M Tube... Anyone game for a little Walkabout soon? With the cache container gone, the original Chupy archived, and Zar in hiding (not response to my offer to adopt), I say we start from scratch. Who wants to be in on this? Seems like a group cache would be fun, dontcha think?

We're up for it. Just let us know when. ;)

. . . Well, maybe its time to activate the original Plan M&M Tube...  Anyone game for a little Walkabout soon?  With the cache container gone, the original Chupy archived, and Zar in hiding (not response to my offer to adopt), I say we start from scratch.  Who wants to be in on this?  Seems like a group cache would be fun, dontcha think?

I'm up for it. Just tell me when . . . ;)

How bout we work on these next ? Sea to Sea Trail Caches it's a shame that some of the newbies will never get a chance to find these.

I'm up for this too . . . at least some of them. :mad:

How bout we work on these next ? Sea to Sea Trail Caches it's ashame that some of the newbies will never get a chance to find these.

I can provide documentary photos of all of the original hides in advance of any upcoming sorties. As for River Runs Through It, it is fun to compare before/after the fire conditions.

The last I checked, the El Capitan Open Space Preserve was still closed and access to #1 Top of the World was still not possible. I'm up for returning to the summit and checking status of the cache when the trails open and replacing it if necessary.

-GD

Edited by Team Gecko
How bout we work on these next ? Sea to Sea Trail Caches it's ashame that some of the newbies will never get a chance to find these.

I can provide documentary photos of all of the original hides in advance of any upcoming sorties. As for River Runs Through It, it is fun to compare before/after the fire conditions.

The last I checked, the Cajon Mountain Preserve trails were still closed and access to #1 Top of the World was still not possible. I'm up for returning to the summit and checking status of the cache when the trails open and replacing it if necessary.

-GD

Do you have pics of #13 Compound Low ? I replaced the cache yesterday evening.

Has anyone else noticed that cache approvals are not happeniing since Oct. 14th??

Some of the new ones for the campout have been waiting approval since Oct. 15!!!

We , Team Reid, $kimmer & Vulture, submitted 14 for approval yesterday. I hope they will come up by next weekend, but who knows???

Anyone have any info. on this?? I know WestCoast Admin. is on vacation right now, but that shouldn't affect all of our approvals.

Splashette

Has anyone else noticed that cache approvals are not happeniing since Oct. 14th??

Some of the new ones for the campout have been waiting approval since Oct. 15!!!

We , Team Reid, $kimmer & Vulture, submitted 14 for approval yesterday. I hope they will come up by next weekend, but who knows???

Anyone have any info. on this?? I know WestCoast Admin. is on vacation right now, but that shouldn't affect all of our approvals.

Splashette

It's gonna be a FTF feeding frenzy......hope nobody gets hurt, there's plenty to go around!

Lets see your CWMI!

TeamGRNZOOM checking in with 1.05 CWMI.

Guess we should kick it up a notch. :mad:

Nick

I may have found the Queen of Cachers...

Some of you who attended the Feste of the Round Table in Escondido may have met her.

She isn't local, but is here often grabbing local caches.

Some research indicates: EMC of Northridge,CA has 7.75 CWMI

Nick

The last I checked, the Cajon Mountain Preserve trails were still closed and access to #1 Top of the World was still not possible. I'm up for returning to the summit and checking status of the cache when the trails open and replacing it if necessary.

-GD

Do you have pics of #13 Compound Low ? I replaced the cache yesterday evening.

Here are four from my visit in July 2003.

-GD

Sea to Sea #13 Compound Low original cache photos (07/13/2003)

Well, maybe its time to activate the original Plan M&M Tube...  Anyone game for a little Walkabout soon?  With the cache container gone, the original Chupy archived, and Zar in hiding (not response to my offer to adopt), I say we start from scratch.  Who wants to be in on this?  Seems like a group cache would be fun, dontcha think?

I'd love to lend a hand and meet some of you. Let me know when.

I don't know what I'm doing but in response to Splashmans post about caches not being approved. I submitted one on 10/18 and I have had no response from the WESTCOASTADMIN. I checked and he or she hasn't logged on since 10/20.

Any idea when caches will start being approved? Don't know how to do quotes so forgive me.

Don't know how to do quotes so forgive me.

Just click the Quote button on any existing post. You can edit the quoted stuff at the same time. Just keep the [ ] bracketed [/ ] stuff in pairs. Don't worry about screwing up the quoted stuff, happens all the time.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I am up for another hike as well. I would just need to look at the area ahead of time (in google earth) to see if there are any other caches I can find on the way. :lol:

We , Team Reid, $kimmer & Vulture,  submitted 14 for approval yesterday. I hope they will come up by next weekend, but who knows???

Anyone have any info. on this??  I know WestCoast Admin. is on vacation right now, but that shouldn't affect all of our approvals.

Splashette

With WestCoast out, its only SoCal Admin to approve. I would imagine it could take a full week or more for him to OK a cache.

You might look in the forums at socalgeocachers.com to see if there's any more info. SoCal Admin and SoCal Geocacher's web master are very closely related :lol:

Edit: I think we've gotten spoiled with our 1-2 day turn around lately. A week isn't out of line at all.

Edited by Dan-oh

Splashette

If by the middle of the week there are still no approvals could you who planted caches list them on the S.D. Thread along with their coordinates? Is that permissable? :)

My CWMI is .61. It would seem that those of us that have been in geocaching longer are going to have lower scores due to the mathematics. Other factors that should be considered: The distance you have to travel to get to caches, I.E. If you live in Santee you have a lot of caches all around you and don't have to go far to build up a lot of finds while we in the South Bay don't have as many cachers and have few caches nearby. Another factor could be the difficulty of finds and hides. I would say T.R. and Gecko Dad and others have some caches hidden way out in the backcounty areas, so they should get more points. Other things to consider. Finding caches in foreign countries, not always easy as I found out in Italy. In Venice there is a seven part multi. How much for multis? Anyway it seems that it's not an exact science. But it is fun. Incidently my wife thinks my score is too high.

We , Team Reid, $kimmer & Vulture,  submitted 14 for approval yesterday. I hope they will come up by next weekend, but who knows???

Anyone have any info. on this??  I know WestCoast Admin. is on vacation right now, but that shouldn't affect all of our approvals.

Splashette

If by the middle of the week there are still no approvals could you who planted caches list them on the S.D. Thread along with their coordinates? Is that permissable? :)

We can either post them on the thread, or, we'll bring a list of our caches to the campout with coordinates, hints, etc. included and pass them out. At least you can still find them and then log it whenever the pages get approved.

'Old School' caching will be making a comeback!!!

Splashette

We can either post them on the thread, or, we'll bring a list of our caches to the campout with coordinates, hints, etc. included and pass them out. At least you can still find them and then log it whenever the pages get approved.

That would be a cool way to do it! That would give everyone a fair shot at FTF. I think last year somebody drove out before the event and found all the caches so there were no FTFs to be had at the "official" start of the event. Maybe that's why Daryl is delaying these???

Splashette

If by the middle of the week there are still no approvals could you who planted caches list them on the S.D. Thread along with their coordinates? Is that permissable? B)

That would be a cool way to do it! That would give everyone a fair shot at FTF. I think last year somebody drove out before the event and found all the caches so there were no FTFs to be had at the "official" start of the event. Maybe that's why Daryl is delaying these???

B);):) Good News B)B):)

We just received an e-mail from SoCalAdmin, and they said they would try to clear up the backlog on our area caches in 72 hours. Keep your fingers crossed.

We're hoping that those exuberant midnight FTF's who shall remain nameless,

(Chuy & Duncan) will hold off a bit to give everyone a fair chance at the FTF's.

However, that being said, if a cache comes up, it should be fair game.

BLIMEY! I go away for a week and there are 4 whole pages of this thread to catch up on! I suppose since there haven't been many new releases and it has been *raining* (we had fantastic weather in Cuernavaca, thanks for asking), you've all been busy racking up the post count here instead.

Now I know why GoBolt is still 20 pages behind :-)

Going back a couple of pages, I saw this funny link on a car BB the other week: The Jeep Wave.

If you are interested in working on the Sea To Sea caches, you may want to also help with the official dedication of the trail which will be happening at Torrey Pines State Beach at 11:00 on November 3rd.

I am working on the "official" coordinates of the kiosk and mile markers, and need help from you to verify that the coordinates are perfect within the next few days! Here is the text from a cache that I have submitted, but that seems to be lost in the "black hole" of cache approvals at the moment:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the official terminal trailhead for the Trans-County Trail (aka Sea-To-Sea Trail) extending from Torrey Pines State Beach on the Pacific Sea (;-) to the Salton Sea.

DROP EVERYTHING AND GO VERIFY THESE COORDINATES AND GRAB THE CACHE!

The first kiosk of this epic new trail will be dedicated at 11:00 on November 3, 2005. I've been asked by the Sea-To-Sea Trail Foundation to determine the official GPS coordinates of all of the kiosks and mile markers for this hundred mile trail. I need your help!

Please go down and immediately follow this multi-cache, which covers the first four markers and ends in a cache (it's only about 1/2 mile).

PLEASE CHECK THE PROVIDED COORDINATES WHICH WILL EACH END AT A STAKE IN THE GROUND WITH ORANGE TAPE AROUND IT. IF THE COORDINATES ARE NOT DEAD-ON, PLEASE LET YOUR GPSr LINGER FOR AWHILE AND REPORT THE REVISED COORDINATES IN YOUR LOG.

The final coordinates will be permanently engraved on each marker, so let's be accurate, team!

1) Kiosk - 32/56.083 & 117/15.596

2) Marker - 32/56.099 & 117/15.541

3) Marker - 32/56.150 & 117/15.451

4) Marker - 32/56.084 & 117/15.374

5) Cache - 32/56.087 & 117/15.378

----------------------------------------------------------------

Time is running out!

Thanks!

Gary

We just received an e-mail from SoCalAdmin, and they said they would try to clear up the backlog on our area caches in 72 hours. Keep your fingers crossed.

We're hoping that those exuberant midnight FTF's who shall remain nameless,

(Chuy & Duncan) will hold off a bit to give everyone a fair chance at the FTF's.

We were out to place a cache & do some recon (Yea, ok, & get some caches. [:I]) & noticed the new ones had already been FTfound, so so much for "saving" the new ones.

HELP!

So we've gone paperless. <cheer, cheer>

We've downloaded the caches into our palm, found them, logged them, & now comes the part I can't figure out.

How do you download from the palm to the computer?

I tried Move Records, no. Export logs, no.

Into GSAK? Groundspeak? Palm? Please give me exacting details.

Thanks!

I'm such a bad man. I don't know how I can live with myself.

Too bad she was just visiting and left before she realized my trickery. :)

Short Round GCJC11

October 22 by Hook Dawn Cache (161 found)

Found only the short round can out in the open. This cache has been muggled. Unfortunately it needs to be archived or refreshed and rehidden. Great little spot though.

For those unfamliar: the cache isn't muggled and I'll have to turn her smiley upside down.

I'm such a bad man. I don't know how I can live with myself.

Too bad she was just visiting and left before she realized my trickery. :)

Short Round GCJC11

October 22 by Hook Dawn Cache (161 found)

Found only the short round can out in the open. This cache has been muggled. Unfortunately it needs to be archived or refreshed and rehidden. Great little spot though.

For those unfamliar: the cache isn't muggled and I'll have to turn her smiley upside down.

Hey Dan-oh

Just about any old military could tell you what the definition of short round is.

its a round that drops short, or doesn't go all the way. I've even heard it being used on the female gender a few times B):)

HELP!

So we've gone paperless. <cheer, cheer>

We've downloaded the caches into our palm, found them, logged them, & now comes the part I can't figure out.

How do you download from the palm to the computer?

I tried Move Records, no. Export logs, no.

Into GSAK? Groundspeak? Palm? Please give me exacting details.

Thanks!

Email on the way . . . hope it helps. :)

We're hoping that those exuberant midnight FTF's who shall remain nameless will hold off a bit to give everyone a fair chance at the FTF's.

I was joking with my comments above. To be honest, I really don't care too much about getting FTFs....but if those that do want to drive all the way out there to bag some FTFs then more power to them!

It's all about having fun for me! :) Is there a calculation for that? :)