The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

My concern is that this particular multi has a lot of WPs. With the first one apparently missing and no one logging anything for months, there is a high probability that other WPs have gone missing as well. 

<snip>

I think its crucial that each way point in a multi cache is bullet proof and ready to stand for several years. I like to use stamped brass tags, washers or even laser printed labels. Of course some of my WPs are less durable but I limit them to areas I frequent. All the WPs in 'Snakes & Ladders', 'Ding Dong the Witch is Dead' and 'Lassie Get Help' will hold in the weather and can't walk off.

When that stupid film can with a scrap of newspaper goes MIA, no big deal.

We went out with a jeep & an Xterra some time ago.  We couldn't go Everywhere they went, but we maybe coulda, if we had the right tires.  Ok, some more power wouldn't hurt.  We got our Honda CRV so that I could drive it to work but we could still go places a car couldn't.

Whatsa matter C4?  Can't get the trunk fixed??? ;)  :D

I wouldn't have been surprised if you had tried to go all the way up to the Elliot Mine. But you'd have to get by 'The Rock.'

You put your CRV through harder testing than the manufactirers ever expected.

thumb_the_Rock.jpg

...He's offered to give me the coords for the 2nd WP so I could get going, but that hasn't happened either (but to be fair, I haven't pressed him for this. I assume that if I asked in earnest, he would send me the needed information.)

LLOT, unless you object, I'll send you the coords to the 2nd waypoint. That's as far as I got 'cause I was in the area for the puzzles and wypt#1 was but a throwing stone away from one of the puzzles.

Wypt #2 is only about 300 feet from Wypt 1!

*Sea To Sea Trail and Geocaching*

Turns out that I bumped into the president of the Sea To Sea Trail Foundation and got to talking about geocaching and such, and he asked me to provide the official coordinates of the trail kiosks and mile markers! Cool!

The dedication ceremony is taking place at 11:00 on November 3rd at Torrey Pines state beach, where the first kiosk and official start of the Trans County Trail (aka Sea To Sea Trail) will begin. It will end at the Salton Sea!

Anyway, I'm going to be taking some readings for the kiosk and the first few mile markers tomorrow, and wonder if some of you would help out by going out and checking my coordinates. I'm thinking of setting up a temporary cache at the coordinates to get more tests - what do you think?

Please email me at gsamad@san.rr.com if you want to help. I don't get up here on the forum too often...

Thanks! Gary

Turns out that I bumped into the president of the Sea To Sea Trail Foundation and got to talking about geocaching and such, and he asked me to provide the official coordinates of the trail kiosks and mile markers! Cool!

The dedication ceremony is taking place at 11:00 on November 3rd at Torrey Pines state beach, where the first kiosk and official start of the Trans County Trail (aka Sea To Sea Trail) will begin. It will end at the Salton Sea!

Anyway, I'm going to be taking some readings for the kiosk and the first few mile markers tomorrow, and wonder if some of you would help out by going out and checking my coordinates. I'm thinking of setting up a temporary cache at the coordinates to get more tests - what do you think?

Please email me at gsamad@san.rr.com if you want to help. I don't get up here on the forum too often...

Thanks! Gary

How about they start by maintaining or archiving their existing caches or placing them up for adoption. From what I understand there are many caches that are hurting and contact with the Sea-to-Sea "cache" person has been unsuccessful for many. Maybe you can help them out...... ;)

Thank Gary! It could be a fun event and possibly meet some other cachers.

bd2ea21e-6047-4d78-a773-ea0bf61741b3.jpg

We went out with a jeep & an Xterra some time ago.  We couldn't go Everywhere they went, but we maybe coulda, if we had the right tires.  Ok, some more power wouldn't hurt.  We got our Honda CRV so that I could drive it to work but we could still go places a car couldn't.

Whatsa matter C4?  Can't get the trunk fixed??? :D  :D

I wouldn't have been surprised if you had tried to go all the way up to the Elliot Mine. But you'd have to get by 'The Rock.'

You put your CRV through harder testing than the manufactirers ever expected.

thumb_the_Rock.jpg

You were having too much fun getting past that rock. :D That's why I think we would need better tires (definitely!) & probably some more power, too. :D

That blue toyota sure looks strange. A cross between a Mini & an SUV. Or a Mini on steroids. B):(

We made it to about WP 7 or 8! :P Zar's latest note is that he reactivated Chupy 4. I'm wondering what that means. :( Did he get new WP's out there? Or did he just reactivate it to tick off Admin (and the rest of us by default!) :(

Glad to see you're still alive & kicking, Gary. Its been a long time! Did you give up on us??? :D The woop-di-do sounds like fun. I have to work, tho. :D

Miragee, we did the Forest & it was great! With all of the other caches out there, we never really noticed the spiders. I guess they were hiding during the day. At night, with your flashlight shining on them, they are HUGE! BTW, you need a bright flashlight for that cache. :) (We're/I'm) game for doing the other cache. Just have to find the right date...

Don't forget the campout on Halloween weekend, folks!

The Ride of the Headless Horseman was fun. We did that one on Halloween last year. During the day. :D I don't know if any of the WP have changed or the container, but it was all fun. lol

I found Chupy 4 in Dec. 2001. I didn't keep a record of any of the intermediate points. But I do know that the ammo can was there the last time we checked it out, probably when we did the Headless horseman cache last year!!

Some great memories associated with that cache! Some great old and not forgotten cachers logged it and Chupy 1, which I never did find!!

(hi Vagabond!!*waves)

ttfn

Jane

LOL yeah straight up the hill, Zar had a ball setting it up and the final is probably under a 1000 feet from #1

OK, here's the plan. Get 20+ M&M tubes (cammoed with zip ties) together and a labeling machine (I've got one). Start at the final location (yeah, I thnk I remember where it is) and work backwards, planting the M&M's tubes with coords for the next(previous) WP along the way. Forget about the actual route that ZAR took. Just go on a nice walkabout. Make sure you(we) end up at WP1 for the last(first) M&M's tube. Voila! Chup 4 is restored. And in a much more permanent and environmentally sensitive manner than the original ziplock baggies. Get it? Anyone game? Probably would take a couple hours. We might even qualify for Passing Wind's new Kache Kharma Hall of Fame.....

Edited to add that I received an e-mail with detailed directions for each of the waypoints, so the actual route can be easily retraced. From the logs it looks as if #14 and #15 are permanently gone, so those two would have to be replaced but the rest could just be verified and stabilized. Its hard to tell for sure if this is all really even necessary, though (other than #14 & #15). ZAR replenished all the waypoints in June of 2004, so it is probably in decent shape. But if ZAR agrees, I would be up for another walkabout to replace the ziplocks with something a little more permanent and to fix #14 & #15....

Edited by FlagMan

I emailed Zar about Chupy 4. He said he was going to archive it soon. I asked him if it would be ok if someone adopted it but I haven't received a response yet. If you're interested in adopting it, maybe email him directly.

(We're heading out campin' in a little while so I don't know when I'll get back on-line. Therefore, I don't know when I'll read his response, assuming I get one.)

Yea, that one would definitely fit into the hall of fame. :lol:

BTW, there is ?one? WP that needs to change. I think it is 4. It tells you to go on a now-closed trail.

LOL yeah straight up the hill, Zar had a ball setting it up and the final is probably under a 1000 feet from #1

OK, here's the plan. Get 20+ M&M tubes (cammoed with zip ties) together and a labeling machine (I've got one). Start at the final location (yeah, I thnk I remember where it is) and work backwards, planting the M&M's tubes with coords for the next(previous) WP along the way. Forget about the actual route that ZAR took. Just go on a nice walkabout. Make sure you(we) end up at WP1 for the last(first) M&M's tube. Voila! Chup 4 is restored. And in a much more permanent and environmentally sensitive manner than the original ziplock baggies. Get it? Anyone game? Probably would take a couple hours. We might even qualify for Passing Wind's new Kache Kharma Hall of Fame.....

Edited to add that I received an e-mail with detailed directions for each of the waypoints, so the actual route can be easily retraced. From the logs it looks as if #14 and #15 are permanently gone, so those two would have to be replaced but the rest could just be verified and stabilized. Its hard to tell for sure if this is all really even necessary, though (other than #14 & #15). ZAR replenished all the waypoints in June of 2004, so it is probably in decent shape. But if ZAR agrees, I would be up for another walkabout to replace the ziplocks with something a little more permanent and to fix #14 & #15....

Okay, I'm game. When do you want to start the project? :lol:

Edit to add appropriate quote . . .

Edited by Miragee

I can probably come up with coords to get you with in a few feet of the final, unless its been moved if anyone wants to do it.

When Zar first put the cache out a lot of the waypoints were in ziplock bags, I don't remember which one it was either #4 or #5 but I spent almost an hour looking for it, Either the wind or possibly an animal had moved it because it was about 80 feet away from the marker tape that Zar had used to mark some of the waypoints.

Hi Jane it was good to see you at the rocktober fest cache on

OK, here's the plan. Get 20+ M&M tubes (cammoed with zip ties) together and a labeling machine (I've got one). Start at the final location (yeah, I thnk I remember where it is) and work backwards, planting the M&M's tubes with coords for the next(previous) WP along the way.

Anyone game? Probably would take a couple hours. We might even qualify for Passing Wind's new

Yum M&Ms!!! lets get eating!!!!! sounds like a great project. been meaning to get that one done...made a couple attempt when it was well.

when is the party?

Hmmm, in that case, maybe I should stop looking for WP1 and start looking for the final...(I found Airy Parsiflage 1000 feet off of my [faulty] coordinates...how hard could this be? :lol:;) )

OK, here's the plan.  Get 20+ M&M tubes (cammoed with zip ties) together and a labeling machine (I've got one).  Start at the final location (yeah, I thnk I remember where it is) and work backwards, planting the M&M's tubes with coords for the next(previous) WP along the way. 

I'm game for it. Alternatively, having never gotten started on the original, I'd be willing to test drive the result...:)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
I emailed Zar about Chupy 4. He said he was going to archive it soon. I asked him if it would be ok if someone adopted it but I haven't received a response yet. If you're interested in adopting it, maybe email him directly.....

OK, I e-mailed Bruce and offered to adopt it. We'll see what happens. I'll keep you all informed. If he lets me adopt it, I'll assemble a team to go for a little walkabout....

*Sea To Sea Trail Cache and Help*

Well, guys, I've measured the coordinates of the first four markers-to-be for the ocean terminus of the Trans-County Trail (aka Sea-To-Sea Trail). I NEED YOUR HELP TO VERIFY THE COORDINATES.

Here is the entry for a new cache that I have placed there but that has not yet been approved. Please email me with your coordinates until the cache is finally approved, then please add your coordinates to your log.

Thanks!

Gary Samad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DROP EVERYTHING AND GO VERIFY THESE COORDINATES AND GRAB THE CACHE!

The first kiosk of this epic new trail will be dedicated at 11:00 on November 3, 2005. I've been asked by the Sea-To-Sea Trail Foundation to determine the official GPS coordinates of all of the kiosks and mile markers for this hundred mile trail. I need your help!

Please go down and immediately follow this multi-cache, which covers the first four markers and ends in a cache (it's only about 1/2 mile).

PLEASE CHECK THE PROVIDED COORDINATES WHICH WILL EACH END AT A STAKE IN THE GROUND WITH ORANGE OR PINK TAPE AROUND IT. IF THE COORDINATES ARE NOT DEAD-ON, PLEASE LET YOUR GPSr LINGER FOR AWHILE AND REPORT THE REVISED COORDINATES IN YOUR LOG.

The final coordinates will be permanently engraved on each marker, so let's be accurate, team!

1) Kiosk - 32/56.083 & 117/15.596

2) Marker - 32/56.099 & 117/15.541

3) Marker - 32/56.150 & 117/15.451

4) Marker - 32/56.084 & 117/15.374

5) Cache - 32/56.087 & 117/15.378

The Caching Widow/Widower Maker Index (CWMI)

Caching Widow's Caching Widow Thread got me thinking just who are the San Diego area widow makers. So, I computed an index for some of you.

Its basically your daily find ratio, but I took into accourt your hides as well.

3.92 TucsonThompsen (I wasn't sure how many were adopted; so, I counted 22)

3.03 Duncan!

2.87 Chuy

2.82 Miragee

2.67 $kimmer

2.46 Splashman/Splashette

2.31 Princess Toadstool

2.02 Flagman

2.00 D-Jollymon

1.60 Duganrm

1.51 Cornerstone4

1.45 Passing Wind

1.43 Parsa

1.42 Kawikaturn

0.95 Night Hunter

0.89 TrailGators

0.65 Harmon (SD Rowdies)

0.63 Dan-oh

0.56 Blonds Run Amuck

0.53 Dr. Boggis

Using CalendarHome.com I computed your days caching since registering as a member and devided that into your hides and finds. I tripled the value of hides as they can consume quite a bit of time (collect swag; hide it; design the web page; and maintain the cache.)

These figure are general reference only. There are lots of variables that were not taken into account: A 14-part multi should be worth more than a virtual/earthcache/web cam/locationless; there are co-hides; adopted caches; travel bugs, terrain/difficulty ratings, etc...

Formula: (finds + (hides X 3)) devided by days caching = CWMI.

Lets see your CWMI!

Edited by Chuy
The Caching Widow/Widower Maker Index (CWMI)...

2.02 Flagman....

Lets see your CWMI!

What about TB's? Kathy (the wife/widow) thinks I should get some credit for adopting the Udesignit TB. Not that CWMI isn't bad enough as it is....

Edited by FlagMan

Caching Widow's Caching Widow Thread got me thinking just who are the San Diego area widow makers. So, I computed an index for some of you.

Its basically your daily find ratio, but I took into accourt your hides as well.

3.92 TucsonThompsen (I wasn't sure how many were adopted; so, I counted 22)

3.03 Duncan!

2.87 Chuy

2.82 Miragee

2.67 $kimmer

2.46 Splashman/Splashette

2.31 Princess Toadstool

2.02 Flagman

2.00 D-Jollymon

1.60 Duganrm

1.51 Cornerstone4

1.45 Passing Wind

1.43 Parsa

1.42 Kawikaturn

0.95 Night Hunter

0.89 TrailGators

0.65 Harmon (SD Rowdies)

0.63 Dan-oh

0.56 Blonds Run Amuck

0.53 Dr. Boggis

Using CalendarHome.com I computed your days caching since registering as a member and devided that into your hides and finds. I tripled the value of hides as they can consume quite a bit of time (collect swag; hide it; design the web page; and maintain the cache.)

These figure are general reference only. There are lots of variables that were not taken into account: A 14-part multi should be worth more than a virtual/earthcache/web cam/locationless; there are co-hides; adopted caches; travel bugs, terrain/difficulty ratings, etc...

Lets see your CWMI!

This is Brilliant CHUY....my wife (cache widow) will get a kick out of it!! Hmmmmm.....would make for a t-shirt :mad:

Lets see your CWMI!

0.7835178352 Counting caches that others have adopted.

I think you need to factor in another parameter: How long has the person been caching.

When I started caching back in early 2001, it was a big deal to have 100 finds because the cache density was much lower and they were all on top of mountains.

If I just take the period of July 2002 to present, my CWMI goes from .78 to 1.06 and it would probably be higher if I only looked at the last couple of years.

The Caching Widow/Widower Maker Index (CWMI)...

2.02 Flagman....

Lets see your CWMI!

What about TB's? Kathy (the wife/widow) thinks I should get some credit for adopting the Udesignit TB. Not that CWMI isn't bad enough as it is....

Yeah, and what about benchmarks? From my experience with about forty of them they are tougher to find than run-of-the-mill caches.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Lets see your CWMI!

Hmmm. List seems to missing a couple ...

Team Gecko/Gecko Dad (2178 finds - after I update 15 online logs - plus 40 hides - not counting 3 new up-for-approval hides)/1278 days) = 1.8

Ruscal (1999 finds - although he really has more - plus 46 hides)/1179 days = 1.79

Guess we old guys have slowed down so much over the past year (darn jobs!) we've fallen off the screen. Ouch.

-GD

Edited by Team Gecko
Lets see your CWMI!

0.7835178352 Counting caches that others have adopted.

I think you need to factor in another parameter: How long has the person been caching.

When I started caching back in early 2001, it was a big deal to have 100 finds because the cache density was much lower and they were all on top of mountains.

If I just take the period of July 2002 to present, my CWMI goes from .78 to 1.06 and it would probably be higher if I only looked at the last couple of years.

Yep, there are caches and then there are caches. As I recall back when I was working on 1000, that covered pretty much everything in the county. And then there is cache difficulty - desert peaks (13 hours/1 find) for instance aren't quite the same as a micro in a parking lot. So, do we put a multiplier that adjusts for #finds/#finds possible or hours/cache just to get to GZ? Nah, this is great as is. Good campfire banter material. Thanks for pointing out yet another way to be obsessive about our pasttime. :mad:

-GD