The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Just when I thought I was getting close to clearing a 5 mile radius! :D...

Tell me about it! I'm up in Scripps and once upon a time I had a 19-mile radius cleared and only 15 caches to clear 20-miles. I blink my eyes, and now its something like 250! I have 25 to clear just to get back to 10-miles!

Ok, Everybody stop telling people about geocaching.... No New cachers and No New caches until everybody gets caught back up to where they were 6 months ago.... B):o

Just when I thought I was getting close to clearing a 5 mile radius! B)...

Tell me about it! I'm up in Scripps and once upon a time I had a 19-mile radius cleared and only 15 caches to clear 20-miles. I blink my eyes, and now its something like 250! I have 25 to clear just to get back to 10-miles!

Ok, Everybody stop telling people about geocaching.... No New cachers and No New caches until everybody gets caught back up to where they were 6 months ago.... B):o

6 Months ago, I had 0. :D I have 6 o seven to plant for a puzzle, but at my current speed, it is going to take a while.

Adelos

Just when I thought I was getting close to clearing a 5 mile radius! :o...

Looks like I have 4 left to hit 4 miles. I don't want to discuss any farther than that since it gets ugly quick. :D

I will be trying to see if I can complete Flibbertigibbits Wild Adventure today (8 miles away). Since we are going with Rogue's class, I doubt I will be able to wander off enough to find all the waypoints. B)

Puzzles . . .  B)  B)  B)

Oh . . . my head . . .  B)

Actually, I found one I could solve. Now I just have to make a trip to Texas . . . :D

I think I can solve that one also! :o:D

I found the easiest way to solve the puzzles is to just keep emailing the creator till they finally give you the answer so you stop bugging them... B) I recently started printing up the puzzles ones so that I can try to solve them while watching TV at night. (I solved Dit di-di-di-dit di-di-dit di-di-di-di-dit ding! 2 already) This may take awhile. B)

Edited by duganrm

Ahh...the zone-clearance issue. Brings back some memories....

-------------------------------------------

Back in the day, there was a friendly and spirited competition between FlagMan and me to see who could be the first get their zone cleaned out to 20 miles. I admit that living in PB gave me the greater advantage as having 20 miles of ocean in my backyard was nice. Tom on the other hand, I would say, was more committed and had greater resources...i.e. 4WD, Mountain bike, Night Hunters keys to San Miguel Mountain, a neverending Rolodex of contacts, etc. :o

His greatest disadvantage was well.....me. B)

It got to be for me that just as he was closing in on the big 2-0, I'd bomb him with a new puzzle that would consume him for at least a week. I am frankly surprised I was never billed for his lost work hours. Sorry FM...now you know the real reason for my madness.

My greatest day was when the two caches on top of San Miguel Mountain got archived. That brilliant stroke of genius by West Coast Admin moved my zone of clearance out to the greatest it ever was...all caches found 18.7 miles from basically Garnet and I-5. I don't know what Tom's greatest ever was, but it always seemed he was stuck on 19 miles.

Than geocaching got popular. The S.C.U.M. cache phenomeon took off! RSD and Sweetwater went puzzle crazy. Every Home Depot got it's own cache.

Yeah. Good luck getting that zone out to 19 again, FlagMan. :D

I'm stuck at 7.9 miles of clearance now in NJ. The friggin' swamps are a pain!

--TT--

The easiest way to deal with the puzzles is to eliminate them from my Pocket Queries . . . :o

That works for me. I have even eliminated multis since that parking lot revenge one in Carlsbad! (Dont get me wrong, I will still DO them, just don't want them on my daily screen. Looking forward to doing Ding dong, the witch is dead! and Society For Putting Things On Top of Other Things !)

Multis are fun . . . even when you have to go back, and back, and back to complete them like we did for "Lassie, Get Help." :o

I really liked "Sticks and Stones." It is in a beautiful area. B)

"Ding Dong" was great fun . . . although I think we made a mistake somewhere because we ended up in the middle of a lane of traffic at one waypoint. B)

"Discovery This" was a fun one . . . although we only found two of many waypoints . . . and the final cache. :D

"Under the Mistletoe" was a wonderful surprise. B)

"Par Four," well . . . read our logs for that uncompleted one . . . B) It was still fun, and boy, did we get lots of exercise . . . :D

- - - - -

B) I hope all those links are right . . . B)

It got to be for me that just as he was closing in on the big 2-0, I'd bomb him with a new puzzle that would consume him for at least a week.  I am frankly surprised I was never billed for his lost work hours.  Sorry FM...now you know the real reason for my madness.

So...what you are saying is that we shouldn't blame you for all those evil caches after all? That the evilness is really Flagman's fault? :o

BTW, if I go back six months ago, I had all caches cleared to 0.8 miles. Today, I've got all the caches cleared to... 0.8 miles. It's that doggone "Would You Like to Supersize This?" cache. I keep driving around the building but I never find it. :D After that, well, there's Chapter and Verse and then, let's see "Stay On Target..." Anyone sense a pattern here?

Ok, Everybody stop telling people about geocaching.... No New cachers and No New caches until everybody gets caught back up to where they were 6 months ago.... B)B)

I never really paid much attention about clearing my area. I prefer to hit a spot and clear that area. Like clearing out Iron Mountain in one shot, or Bear Valley (I ended up going there three times!) Yesterday I hit Daley Ranch, though I ran out of time for the Mallard cache.

Now, I'm a bit frustrated with Sweetwater. The same three caches sat up there for almost a year. I finally make time to make the steep 8-9 mile bike ride to grab them, and Jahoadi and John drop five caches up there two days after my visit! So, Cegrube and I go on a 11-mile night hike to grab them. Then, two days after that, Lostguy51 decides to drop four more! Now, Fshnjack's gets published today. Urggghh.

You now what that means? WAR! I've got a few to place myself :o

Ok, Everybody stop telling people about geocaching.... No New cachers and No New caches until everybody gets caught back up to where they were 6 months ago.... B)B)

I never really paid much attention about clearing my area. I prefer to hit a spot and clear that area. Like clearing out Iron Mountain in one shot, or Bear Valley (I ended up going there three times!) Yesterday I hit Daley Ranch, though I ran out of time for the Mallard cache.

Now, I'm a bit frustrated with Sweetwater. The same three caches sat up there for almost a year. I finally make time to make the steep 8-9 mile bike ride to grab them, and Jahoadi and John drop five caches up there two days after my visit! So, Cegrube and I go on a 11-mile night hike to grab them. Then, two days after that, Lostguy51 decides to drop four more! Now, Fshnjack's gets published today. Urggghh.

You now what that means? WAR! I've got a few to place myself :o

MTRP all over again... B)

D!

It got to be for me that just as he was closing in on the big 2-0, I'd bomb him with a new puzzle that would consume him for at least a week.  I am frankly surprised I was never billed for his lost work hours.  Sorry FM...now you know the real reason for my madness.

So...what you are saying is that we shouldn't blame you for all those evil caches after all? That the evilness is really Flagman's fault? :D

BTW, if I go back six months ago, I had all caches cleared to 0.8 miles. Today, I've got all the caches cleared to... 0.8 miles. It's that doggone "Would You Like to Supersize This?" cache. I keep driving around the building but I never find it. B) After that, well, there's Chapter and Verse and then, let's see "Stay On Target..." Anyone sense a pattern here?

Hey, I've cleared out all the caches within 0.8 miles of my house too! That freaking Flibbertigibbets Wild Adventure has been on my radar since the first day I started caching almost 3 years ago. If anybody wants to team up to bag that one I'm game!

I've also been waiting for it to rain (on a weekend) so I could do the two indoor caches both 4 miles from my house: Escondido Library cache and Shopping for a Cache but "it never rains in Southern California." :o

MTRP all over again... B)

Anyone up for placing some Nuisance Caches in Sweetwater, then? For you newbies, my NC series was my proportional response to the North vs. South "MTRP Fortuna Cache Wars" back in aught-four.

I still had a few percolating ideas from then I never got 'round to placing. :D

--TT--

I might be game! :o Just more reason o get out there.

Adelos

Hey, I've cleared out all the caches within 0.8 miles of my house too! That freaking Flibbertigibbets Wild Adventure has been on my radar since the first day I started caching almost 3 years ago. If anybody wants to team up to bag that one I'm game!

I've also been waiting for it to rain (on a weekend) so I could do the two indoor caches both 4 miles from my house: Escondido Library cache and Shopping for a Cache but "it never rains in Southern California."  B)

I am up for a return trip to Flibbertigibbets. I tried to get it today but my GPSr would not get signal in the park so I did not know where to go. :D Out of the whole trip, I only got waypoint 2 and 9 done (just because we happened to stop and look at them). I think I may also know what 8 is since we just happened to get there at feeding time but I will need to verify with Google Earth and the map I took. I had to actually spend my time going around and looking at the animals. :o

I may try to post some of the pictures from the day later but it looks like I gotta go with Rogue downtown to a haunted house first. I only took about 125 pictures while I was there. B)

MTRP all over again... :o

Anyone up for placing some Nuisance Caches in Sweetwater, then? For you newbies, my NC series was my proportional response to the North vs. South "MTRP Fortuna Cache Wars" back in aught-four.

I still had a few percolating ideas from then I never got 'round to placing. :D

--TT--

I might be game! B) Just more reason o get out there.

Adelos

If you go sometime I am available, I would be game. Would you would be willing to stop by the other caches that already exsist on the trail? B)

Of course, I don't know if I would feel right doing what was done to MTRP to another place. I took the Visitor trail last week and felt I was searching the bushes for caches more than I was hiking. B)

I placed a new, not-yet-approved cache out in Jamul today . . . I wonder who will be FTF? :D

If you would be so kind as to email me the coordinates before they get posted, I could try for the FTF..... B)

Only FTF I have gotten was very close to my house and others had left it since they felt Passingwind should have the honors. B) I thought about leaving it too but couldn't resist. The power of the FTF took over. :o

Back in the day, there was a friendly and spirited competition between FlagMan and me to see who could be the first get their zone cleaned out to 20 miles.  ... It got to be for me that just as he was closing in on the big 2-0, I'd bomb him with a new puzzle that would consume him for at least a week....

Perchance you recall the day To Be Or Not To Be was listed? Quite close to the same day Jeff left for NJ... Also happened to be the day that I first cleared ALL puzzle caches in San Diego County... Timing seems to be everything... Jeff, didn't you clear all but one puzzle cache before you left?

Payback is a bitch...

Perchance you recall the day To Be Or Not To Be was listed?  Quite close to the same day Jeff left for NJ...  Also happened to be the day that I first cleared ALL puzzle caches in San Diego County...  Timing seems to be everything... Jeff, didn't you clear all but one puzzle cache before you left? 

Payback is a bitch...

And for all of you watching at home....

Yes. Tom and I really ARE that petty. :blink:

And yup...up to that day I had found all the puzzles in SD county except for Team gecko's one waaay out in Borrego. And I was driving that day to get it when I realised at Ramona that I'd left the photo printouts at home. Coulda woulda shoulda. Got home and Oh joy...a new one from Tom.

I coulda been somebody.....I coulda been a contender.... ;)

--TT--

Puzzles . . .  :lol:  :lol:  ;)

Oh . . . my head . . .  ;)

I found the easiest way to solve the puzzles is to just keep emailing the creator till they finally give you the answer so you stop bugging them... ;)

OOooo! :o Good idea! :D Oh TT! ;):blink: Just make it easy on yourself & send us the answers to all of your caches we haven't figured out yet. :blink:

I've also been waiting for it to rain (on a weekend) so I could do the two indoor caches both 4 miles from my house: Escondido Library cache and Shopping for a Cache but "it never rains in Southern California."  :blink:

Looks like you may get your wish today!

(I think the Sleuths brought it back with them from Joisey :blink: )

I saw that, but even if it does rain (it doesn't look likely because it's pretty blue out there right now), I'm not gonna miss da Chargers game!!!! :lol: After the Chargers game I have to take my son to his hockey game. So Mother Nature and sports are conspiring against me going for those caches today, but the next time it rains..... ;)

I've also been waiting for it to rain (on a weekend) so I could do the two indoor caches both 4 miles from my house: Escondido Library cache and Shopping for a Cache but "it never rains in Southern California."  :blink:

Looks like you may get your wish today!

(I think the Sleuths brought it back with them from Joisey :blink: )

I saw that, but even if it does rain (it doesn't look likely because it's pretty blue out there right now), I'm not gonna miss da Chargers game!!!! :lol: After the Chargers game I have to take my son to his hockey game. So Mother Nature and sports are conspiring against me going for those caches today, but the next time it rains..... ;)

If it is going to rain in SD today, I guess this is one of the rare times I can tout that the we have better weather here in Denver.

fd4fe833-e351-49d6-b86c-43fcb5f5c4d8.jpg

BTW: There was a foot of snow here last Monday. Two days later it was 75 F.

I am up for a return trip to Flibbertigibbets. I tried to get it today but my GPSr would not get signal in the park so I did not know where to go. :blink: Out of the whole trip, I only got waypoint 2 and 9 done (just because we happened to stop and look at them). I think I may also know what 8 is since we just happened to get there at feeding time but I will need to verify with Google Earth and the map I took. I had to actually spend my time going around and looking at the animals. :lol:

I may try to post some of the pictures from the day later but it looks like I gotta go with Rogue downtown to a haunted house first. I only took about 125 pictures while I was there. ;)

Count me in.

We dont' need anymore rain!!! Just returned from a 2 week New England tour and caching in 8 states. One of those weeks was rain, rain, rain which co-insided with doing TTs caches in NJ. We managed to get 4 out of the 5 of his that we went after, even in the rain! Picture is taken at The Masterful Cache (sound familiar?) and I think his new abode is in the background. We did get to have a phone chat, but not time to connect in person.

b423e33b-6e45-439f-8b69-c1a8e613515e.jpg

I saw that, but even if it does rain (it doesn't look likely because it's pretty blue out there right now), I'm not gonna miss da Chargers game!!!! :blink: After the Chargers game I have to take my son to his hockey game. So Mother Nature and sports are conspiring against me going for those caches today, but the next time it rains..... :blink:

Well, the rain has started up here already. It is coming down pretty good and I have been watching the lightning. There goes my evening cache hunting today. ;)

Hi everyone,

A couple things about the campout weekend.

1st off - there is also a festival in the city of Borrego Springs that same weekend so expect "traffic jams." :o<_< Maybe just to go with some bread & PB?? :P

2nd - Not everyone has a jeep with the offroad capabilities. I'd sure hate it if someone (ok, us!) goes some place that they shouldn't. Our CRV has high clearance & AWD but it still isn't as good as a jeep. For those of you that have either placed the difficult-to-get-to caches or have been to those areas, how about letting the rest of us know which ones we with the handicapped vehicles need to stay away from. On the other hand, if something "looks" difficult to drive to but really isn't, please let us know that, too. :D

I coulda been somebody.....I coulda been a contender.... <_<

--TT--

Honest truth is that I wasn't trying to tweak Jeff when I posted To Be Or Not To Be, but it sort of turned out that way and now makes a pretty good story. We had all been tortured by Extorted Treasure, and To Be Or Not To Be came out of failed attempts at solving that one. The timing was coincidental. I even offered to lend him the Jeep after his car was shipped out to NJ so he could bag it before he left town.

But there is one thing. It does seem to me I am still one t-shirt short of a complete collection....

We went out anyway. Actually, it wasn't too bad...

We're cachin´ in the rain

Just cachin´ in the rain,

What a glorious feeling,

And we're happy again.  ;)  :o  :P

Rogue wouldn't let me out of the house and I am in the middle of some vehicular problems. Instead I spent the evening working on some of the puzzle caches. :D My head hurts now. I think I solved most of Shandon's that I found (although I can't even find where to start on the one closest to me). I took a look at a couple of the old TucsonThompsen's ones :D but had to skip past them. I am still new, I can wait awhile before causing myself that much pain.

If anyone needs or wants to help on the puzzle ones, let me know. I am willing to look at any of them and be confused. <_< I just don't know where to start on half of them (well, maybe a little more than half of them).

I just logged in to my account, and it seems the powers that be have made some changes!

New features to go along with Google Earth that look pretty cool.

But one thing caught my eye...there is a clickable ad on the left side of the screen for premium membership. It shows some of the things we get with membership, and there is a ribbon that says "First to Find."

Do you think this means they will start keeping track of FTFs for the premium members?

C4

QUOTE (Cornerstone4 @ Oct 17 2005, 11:02 AM)

Do you think this means they will start keeping track of FTFs for the premium members?

I think it implies that you can get a FTF if you're a premium member, or at least have a better shot at it. Isn't the new "published" email notification a premium benefit?

Ahh.

Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Thanks Dan-oh.

Yes! Excellent! Be sure to "Download Geocache browser in Google Earth". Great tool - adds caches to the map view automatically.

I'm not finding it particularly useful since it shows caches we've already found - however, I'd love to know how to modify my own pocket query results and get them into Google Earth so that the cache title only appears when I move my mouse over the icon. Right now I just open a gpx file in Google Earth but all the titles are a bit distracting. The Geocache browser might be nice when visiting places we've never been.

New features to go along with Google Earth that look pretty cool.

Yes! Excellent! Be sure to "Download Geocache browser in Google Earth". Great tool - adds caches to the map view automatically.

That's really cool, but it will be better when you can filter out your finds. (I did note that filtering capabilities are planned for the future).

The ability to overlay a travel bug's travels onto GoogleEarth is pretty cool too.