The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

We've submitted our first WJTB photo ("Tow Package"):

Ok, not particularly creative  :P 

It's more creative than most of the pictures that get submitted. :D

I picked up a WJTB a few months back, and took some pics that I thought would be a lock for a prize. The theme was "peaks and valleys", and I managed to persuade Mrs B to pose......but it turns out they probably would have been rejected for not being "family friendly"! Darn you Puritans! :P:P:o

:P:D:P

:P:P:P

- - - - - - - -

On another subject . . . P.T. and I hiked down and back up the Viejas Grade road the other day on our cache hunt. On the way, we collected discarded cans and bottles. When I went to the Recyling place, look who I found in one of the bottles . . .

1ce075f4-4082-4bc5-8a3f-f0bee8cd546f.jpg

I liberated him. I sure hope he adapts to its new surroundings near Recycle Cache. :o

f46b7ccc-d108-4cfb-8a34-662debf03f9e.jpg

Ok, not particularly creative  :P 

It's more creative than most of the pictures that get submitted. :D

I picked up a WJTB a few months back, and took some pics that I thought would be a lock for a prize. The theme was "peaks and valleys", and I managed to persuade Mrs B to pose......but it turns out they probably would have been rejected for not being "family friendly"! Darn you Puritans! :P:P:o

:P:D:P

The Geobabes turned me down for the same reason.

Post a link and I will vote for you!

That's the problem, I don't know where the voting takes place! You can click on the photo to get to the submission page, but nothing about voting there!

Each photo goal has a certain timeframe for you to submit a photo. Once the submission time is over, they eventually get around to putting the pictures up here: http://jeep.geocaching.com/photos/

So once yours goes up, you have to find it, click on it (to get a page like this) then tell everyone to vote for it! I'd suggest putting a link in your forum sig and then taking a keen interest in the forums for a few weeks :bad:

That's the problem, I don't know where the voting takes place! You can click on the photo to get to the submission page, but nothing about voting there!

Each photo goal has a certain timeframe for you to submit a photo. Once the submission time is over, they eventually get around to putting the pictures up here: http://jeep.geocaching.com/photos/

So once yours goes up, you have to find it, click on it (to get a page like this) then tell everyone to vote for it! I'd suggest putting a link in your forum sig and then taking a keen interest in the forums for a few weeks :D

It is easier to find the picture by going through the travel bug page for the Jeep (should bookmark it now). Just click on the "visit log" that contains the picture you entered.

I entered a picture in the contest going on now. I doubt I have a chance of winning but I could use the GPSr so I tried anyway.

If you are still looking for one of the jeeps, I suggest bugging Passingwind. He appears to have a collection of them. :bad: I have been watching a couple of the yellow jeeps he has.

Ok, well, then in theory, once they get around to turning on the next round of votes (I think their webmasters have gone on vacation since they seem to think it's still September), then clicking on this image..

click here ----->74d15b9d-c145-479a-ae2f-31e7804b2bc7.jpg<----- click here

..should let you vote on our submission. The screwy part is the contest says that you can vote on submissions for the first two weeks of a month (yo - that's a day away) and they are still only showing last month's photos (with voting buttons!) on their photo gallery. :bad: Ah, well, we're really in it for the hunt anyway, can't really beat the gpsr we have now.

I entered a picture in the contest going on now. I doubt I have a chance of winning but I could use the GPSr so I tried anyway.

I just voted for your Bradyn submission since you can still vote for last month's! :bad:

18ce3d3a-769b-4f25-8eaa-3e819da1b9a3.jpg

Edited by ahimsa

Ok, well, then in theory, once they get around to turning on the next round of votes (I think their webmasters have gone on vacation since they seem to think it's still September), then clicking on this image..

click here ----->74d15b9d-c145-479a-ae2f-31e7804b2bc7.jpg<----- click here

..should let you vote on our submission. The screwy part is the contest says that you can vote on submissions for the first two weeks of a month (yo - that's a day away) and they are still only showing last month's photos (with voting buttons!) on their photo gallery. :bad: Ah, well, we're really in it for the hunt anyway, can't really beat the gpsr we have now.

You will be able to vote on your jeep during the first couple weeks of November. They don't start the voting till they have all the pictures in for the month.

You will be able to vote on your jeep during the first couple weeks of November. They don't start the voting till they have all the pictures in for the month.

Ah, ok, makes sense! :bad:

On Edit - here's the schedule:

2005 CONTEST ENTRY SCHEDULE-

START                 RECEIVED BY          VOTING     WINNER CHOSEN 
#1  12:01 AM ET  6/06/05  11:59 PM ET  6/30/05  7/1/2005   7/25/2005 
#2  12:01 AM ET  7/01/05  11:59 PM ET  7/31/05  8/1/2005   8/22/2005 
#3  12:01 AM ET  8/01/05  11:59 PM ET  8/31/05  9/1/2005   9/22/2005 
#4  12:01 AM ET  9/01/05  11:59 PM ET  9/30/05 10/1/2005  10/22/2005 
#5  12:01 AM ET 10/01/05  11:59 PM ET 10/31/05 11/1/2005  11/22/2005 
FINAL                                                     12/19/2005 

Edited by ahimsa

Ok, not particularly creative  :D 

It's more creative than most of the pictures that get submitted. :ph34r:

I picked up a WJTB a few months back, and took some pics that I thought would be a lock for a prize. The theme was "peaks and valleys", and I managed to persuade Mrs B to pose......but it turns out they probably would have been rejected for not being "family friendly"! Darn you Puritans! :bad::ph34r::D

:bad::ph34r::D

Yes...TM's Photo was rejected....

TM's Jeep entry!

PS WARNING...please do not look at it if you just ate or plan on doing so in the next few hours....or if you ever want to be able to look me in the face without laughing. :)

I picked up a WJTB a few months back, and took some pics that I thought would be a lock for a prize. The theme was "peaks and valleys", and I managed to persuade Mrs B to pose......but it turns out they probably would have been rejected for not being "family friendly"! Darn you Puritans! :bad::ph34r::D

:bad::ph34r::D

TM's Jeep entry!

PS WARNING...please do not look at it if you just ate or plan on doing so in the next few hours....or if you ever want to be able to look me in the face without laughing. :)

I was going for the artistic shot of a workman in a natural state...it was really much more of an 'assumption' on the judges part than any overty un-family-friendly material...I still hold that the picture was a thought provoking commentary on the bourgeoise working-class consciousness and a rage against facist elitist stereotpes...or something like that ; )

:bad::):D

TM's Jeep entry!

I was going for the artistic shot of a workman in a natural state...it was really much more of an 'assumption' on the judges part than any overty un-family-friendly material...I still hold that the picture was a thought provoking commentary on the bourgeoise working-class consciousness and a rage against facist elitist stereotpes...or something like that ; )

I was going to "crack" a joke at this point but I hate puns! :ph34r:

If you are still looking for one of the jeeps, I suggest bugging Passingwind. He appears to have a collection of them.  :D  I have been watching a couple of the yellow jeeps he has.

Actually, PW has no YJTBs in his possession... We forgot to grab back the one we co-found in a cache with him. Our bad!

I picked up a WJTB a few months back, and took some pics that I thought would be a lock for a prize. The theme was "peaks and valleys", and I managed to persuade Mrs B to pose......but it turns out they probably would have been rejected for not being "family friendly"! Darn you Puritans!

Whew, we thought we were the only ones! :D Got some "peaks and valleys" pics with a WJTB at Woodson Photo Cache a ways back that aren't even Banter page worthy... :) Sorry Harmon! ;)

Now, how do we convince ourselves we didn't have Sylvina after GB and TM.... :):):D:D

J&J

Edited by John&Jess
If you are still looking for one of the jeeps, I suggest bugging Passingwind. He appears to have a collection of them.  ;)  I have been watching a couple of the yellow jeeps he has.

Actually, PW has no YJTBs in his possession... We forgot to grab back the one we co-found in a cache with him. Our bad!

I picked up a WJTB a few months back, and took some pics that I thought would be a lock for a prize. The theme was "peaks and valleys", and I managed to persuade Mrs B to pose......but it turns out they probably would have been rejected for not being "family friendly"! Darn you Puritans!

Whew, we thought we were the only ones! :D Got some "peaks and valleys" pics with a WJTB at Woodson Photo Cache a ways back that aren't even Banter page worthy... ;) Sorry Harmon! ;)

Now, how do we convince ourselves we didn't have Sylvina after GB and TM.... :D:D;):D

J&J

Sorry J & J...and the rest of America,

We had three jeeps at the time... :)

And we have no idea whitch appeared in the geo-crack.

:):)

If you are still looking for one of the jeeps, I suggest bugging Passingwind. He appears to have a collection of them.  ;)  I have been watching a couple of the yellow jeeps he has.

Whew, we thought we were the only ones! :) Got some "peaks and valleys" pics with a WJTB at Woodson Photo Cache a ways back that aren't even Banter page worthy... ;) Sorry Harmon! ;)

Now, how do we convince ourselves we didn't have Sylvina after GB and TM.... :D:D:):D

J&J

Sorry J & J...and the rest of America,

We had three jeeps at the time... ;)

And we have no idea whitch appeared in the geo-crack.

:):D

I dropped a WJTB this week into the MTRP cache that's up on North Fortuna. Seems like a great place to go native for a Full Monty WJTB shot.

Go for it Tigger and Jess you animals. Ooo! how about a twofer?

Come to think of it I'll be willing to go with you just so the photos turn out well. You know, the lighting, the framing, and the exposure.

Always willing to help.

Edited by SD Rowdies

I have a question about events and donations. Do people care if donated equipment is used? I have several PDAs, both older Palms and older IPAQs (4 - All 3700 Model). They are used but I now am looking to possibly donate them out. Most of the software and manuals are not available, but they can be downloaded.

Do people care? or would the general geocaching group not want older equipment?

Adelos

So once yours goes up, you have to find it, click on it (to get a page like this) then tell everyone to vote for it! I'd suggest putting a link in your forum sig and then taking a keen interest in the forums for a few weeks :D

By the way, if there's anyone who still has a vote to throw away on last month's contest, here's one we liked (but then we are biased 'cuz it's our entry... :) ) ( Log Link ) It looks like this:

1d55629c-f527-44d3-ab1d-24c906946b3a.jpg

I have a question about events and donations. Do people care if donated equipment is used? I have several PDAs, both older Palms and older IPAQs (4 - All 3700 Model). They are used but I now am looking to possibly donate them out. Most of the software and manuals are not available, but they can be downloaded.

Adelos

Not a bad idea......I'm sure it would be a welcome door prize......just don't donate your used boots! :)

Okay all you snake experts, what kind is this guy who was hanging around my yard and patio this afternoon?

Speaking of snakes, this is the one that Ms. LLOT found lurking on our doorstep a couple of days ago.

IMG_4605ab.JPG

He looked so cute with his bandit mask and all, but we still didn't let him into the house... :)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
Speaking of snakes, this is the one that Ms. LLOT found lurking on our doorstep a couple of days ago.

By the way, when I moved him out into the brush away from all the houses (something I don't recommend doing unless you know what you are doing...) I was astounded at how quickly his coloration blended into the grass. Two thoughts simultaneously occurred.

1) Watch where you put your hands and feet when hiking the canyons :)

2) This would be an incredibly good cammo pattern for a cache :D

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
By the way, if there's anyone who still has a vote to throw away on last month's contest, here's one we liked (but then we are biased 'cuz it's our entry... :( ) ( Log Link )

Great shot LLOT, you've got my vote :D

(For the theme "traction" I also had the idea of having someone dress up in bandages and have the Jeep driving up their suspended leg, but couldn't find a willing hospital....) :(

I have a question about events and donations.  Do people care if donated equipment is used?  I have several PDAs, both older Palms and older IPAQs (4 - All 3700 Model).  They are used but I now am looking to possibly donate them out.  Most of the software and manuals are not available, but they can be downloaded.

Adelos

As someone who has bought a couple used Handspring Visors online (a Deluxe and a Prism), I'd say it was fine, as long as the condition is OK. Some people have not gone paperless, and getting a free PDA to experiment with would be wlecome, especially since CacheMate works fine on older Palms.

I'm actually thinking of getting one of the new Palm T|X units. In that case I'd have an unneeded Handspring Prism and all the peripherals to get rid of.

It doesn't make much sense anymore to buy some old Palm on eBay for close to a hundred dollars when the new Palm Z22 has better specs and only costs $99.

Parsa

I have a question about events and donations.  Do people care if donated equipment is used?  I have several PDAs, both older Palms and older IPAQs (4 - All 3700 Model).  They are used but I now am looking to possibly donate them out.  Most of the software and manuals are not available, but they can be downloaded.

Adelos

As someone who has bought a couple used Handspring Visors online (a Deluxe and a Prism), I'd say it was fine, as long as the condition is OK. Some people have not gone paperless, and getting a free PDA to experiment with would be wlecome, especially since CacheMate works fine on older Palms.

I'm actually thinking of getting one of the new Palm T|X units. In that case I'd have an unneeded Handspring Prism and all the peripherals to get rid of.

It doesn't make much sense anymore to buy some old Palm on eBay for close to a hundred dollars when the new Palm Z22 has better specs and only costs $99.

Parsa

Put me down as one who would be happy to get a PDA for free (or cheap). :( I would rather learn whether I like or not on a cheaper unit before trying to decide if I should go for a more expensive unit (figure out what features would be important to me).

Do many of the geocaching events have door prizes like that? never been to one before (not big on large groups and still a newbie) :(

I am heading out to some La Costa / San Marcos Mtn caches tomorrow AM. If anybody wants to join up, let me know. I have 7 caches at the top of my list I have been putting off for quite awhile. I probably wont do all 7, but start at TOP "O" LA COSTA. I posted a larger photo file there than this forum photo. As KNIC says, "Cache ON"!

bc635bf5-fdfa-4932-ba74-4f47ad5a818b.jpg

----------------

Then in the afternoon, anyone heading up to Tortillas by the Lake ? Hope to see you there or somewhere!

Edited by kawikaturn

Adelos

I think that would be a cool :( idea...a lot of cachers are still using paper...and I think it would be appreciated!

So once yours goes up, you have to find it, click on it (to get a page like this) then tell everyone to vote for it! I'd suggest putting a link in your forum sig and then taking a keen interest in the forums for a few weeks :(

By the way, if there's anyone who still has a vote to throw away on last month's contest, here's one we liked (but then we are biased 'cuz it's our entry... :( ) ( Log Link ) It looks like this:

1d55629c-f527-44d3-ab1d-24c906946b3a.jpg

Sweet photo!

You just received 3 votes...Sonrisa, TM and I.

:D

May the Force be with you!

Adelos

Dang! :( I just went out & bought a new E2, getting ready for the camp-out. :( Now to learn how to use it...

The idea of getting a free anything is great. Something free that we could actually use (like your pda's) is even better! :D:D Thanks for thinking of the rest of the group. :D

what's up with the explosion of caches around sweetwater in the last week or so? wow!

Just when I thought I was getting close to clearing a 5 mile radius! :( Actually, I have a long ways to go.

Kind of ironic, then, that Team Adelos has contributed considerably to the explosion :D

(But I'm not complaining. I'm planning an expedition down that way real soon. :( )

Do many of the geocaching events have door prizes like that? never been to one before (not big on large groups and still a newbie)  :D

If you up for it.....join us for a rendition of "Blazing Saddles" around the campfire at the 'Keep on Truckin' Geo Campout at the end of the month. I heard rumors a Yellow Jeep TB will be there..... :(

Why hello Wind Witch! Welcome to the "club".

Your bios states you're "better known as Passing Wind's wife". Well, it won't be long before Passing Wind is better known as Wind Witch's husband :( .

Do many of the geocaching events have door prizes like that? never been to one before (not big on large groups and still a newbie)  :(

If you up for it.....join us for a rendition of "Blazing Saddles" around the campfire at the 'Keep on Truckin' Geo Campout at the end of the month. I heard rumors a Yellow Jeep TB will be there..... :D

I have been looking at that and thinking about it. I have been thinking of showing up for maybe a few hours.. Problem is Rogue has class till about 4:30 on Sat (haven't even mentioned it to her yet)... knowing us, we would pull in as the last person is leaving on Sunday. :D on average, how many people show up at these types of events? I think it might be time to put in the Blazing Saddles dvd again to understand the campfire reference... I have been keeping track of #4680 and Libby since I spotted them. :(

I think I ran too many things together in that paragraph but am too tired to think about it. :D

Just when I thought I was getting close to clearing a 5 mile radius! :o...

Tell me about it! I'm up in Scripps and once upon a time I had a 19-mile radius cleared and only 15 caches to clear 20-miles. I blink my eyes, and now its something like 250! I have 25 to clear just to get back to 10-miles!

Edited by FlagMan

Just when I thought I was getting close to clearing a 5 mile radius! :o...

Tell me about it! I'm up in Scripps and once upon a time I had a 19-mile radius cleared and only 15 caches to clear 20-miles. I blink my eyes, and now its something like 250! I have 25 to clear just to get back to 10-miles!

We are doing our best to add to the puzzles. We love them, but there are some that I keep thinking I am looking at up-side-down! B) I hardest part is getting out with the kids. I can never get out there enough and I never seem to get the FTF! :D

I looking now to get a MTB of some sort. Probably something cheap at first. I gotta prove to myself that I will use it all of the time... then I can look at the ones with shocks, disc brakes, teleporters.. B)

Adelos

Edited by Team Adelos