The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Say DymnDog can you please help me with this cache? I have zero knowledge of music but enjoy doing puzzle caches. There is a cd hidden somewhere in SD with this music recorded on it, but I have never been lucky enough to run across it. Maybe you could make an mp3 out of the sheet music with your trumpet and send it to me?! I'll buy you a beer!  <_<

Hey, I've figured out at least 4 of the 7 songs listed on the clue! As I predicted, all of the song titles so far have numbers in them. I'm going to see a piano playing friend today so I'll ask him to help out a little. There's one song that I recognize as a more current hit, but I don't know the name of it! Well when I do get them all I can taunt you....oh...the power.....the power! :lol:

What do you all make of this?

GCQNFV

It came out yesterday on the 23rd.

We are staying up the street from the cache.

We went out, found it and signed the log.

Today (the 24th) two other cachers found it and say its not fair we went too early and that they get the FTF...12 hours after we found it.

I know FTF's are not what caching is all about...however comma I don't see how this is fair.

Edited by GoBolt

GCQNFV

It came out on the yesterday on the 23rd.

Today (the 24th) two other cachers found it and say its not fair we went too early and that they get the FTF...12 hours after we found it.

I know FTF's are not what caching is all about...however comma I don't see how this is fair.

:ph34r: I'd let it slide.....you know who found it first, and as you said FTF on an urban micro? Who cares right? :ph34r:

I did see it was "archived" when it first came out.....how many of you have found an archived cache? I've found a few that were thought to be gone so the hunt continues!

GCQNFV

It's your FTF! I saw that cache popup last night too and it was fair game! That gal seemed to get upset when I beat her to Rusty Tree Nursery for an FTF. She spelled my name wrong and accused me of running to the cache in her log. It was in the parking lot of the building I work in, so I walked outside and bagged it. Anyhow, I think they need to be better sports! It's supposed to be for fun anyhow! :ph34r:

Edited by TrailGators

GCQNFV

"Sign the log, claim the find."

OK, as a slogan it ain't, "Two men enter, one man leaves," but it'll have to do.

Or maybe, "It ain't what you think, it's who's first with the ink."

I'll stop now. :ph34r:

GCQNFV

Oh...no... I have done it again :ph34r:

Take another look...

Edited by GoBolt

GCQNFV

OK, as a slogan it ain't, "Two men enter, one man leaves," but it'll have to do.

I'll stop now. :ph34r:

It's who's first with the lead, not whose name starts with r__ ! :ph34r:

Edited by TrailGators

GCQNFV

Oh...no... I have done it again :ph34r:

Take another look...

Looks like you have been pulled into a urination olympics. Take the high road, go to sleep happy knowing you got there first. My $.02...

Say DymnDog can you please help me with this cache? I have zero knowledge of music but enjoy doing puzzle caches. There is a cd hidden somewhere in SD with this music recorded on it, but I have never been lucky enough to run across it. Maybe you could make an mp3 out of the sheet music with your trumpet and send it to me?! I'll buy you a beer!  :ph34r:

Hey, I've figured out at least 4 of the 7 songs listed on the clue! As I predicted, all of the song titles so far have numbers in them. I'm going to see a piano playing friend today so I'll ask him to help out a little. There's one song that I recognize as a more current hit, but I don't know the name of it! Well when I do get them all I can taunt you....oh...the power.....the power! :ph34r:

TT may not be happy about me mentioning this... However, there are atleast 3 discs out in the wild, or were at one time. I've put out two of them and I know who put out the other one. One was realeased in MTRP and one in Encinitas, not sure about the 3rd disc. Look for a CD labled, "Tucson Thompsen's Favorite Hits". However, 1 CD had no writing on it at all.

QUOTE (GoBolt @ Sep 24 2005, 05:17 PM)

GCQNFV

I'll stop now. 

I'm afraid I may have contributed to this indirectly.

A month or so ago, a cache came up as I was leaving to try to catch up with D-Jollymon on a DAK girls cache. Just as I was leaving the office in Escondido, a cache popped up in Kit Carson Park. I grabbed the numbers, and stopped on my way South.

Elapsed time from posting to the cache being found was less than 30 minutes. Imagine my surprise when I grabbed the log book, and it had been signed 2 days earlier! :ph34r:

Well, I went ahead and claimed FTF, and explained to the other logger that typically, a log signed before the cache is officially listed would usually be considered as a "beta tester" and I claimed FTF.

In the long run, since there is no official record keeping on FTFs, this was sort of a moot point anyway. That being said, I saw the current cache come up as archived myself, and had I been in the area, I would have logged it last night myself.

C4

In the long run, since there is no official record keeping on FTFs, this was sort of a moot point anyway.

Ding-ding-ding! We have a winnah here folk!

FTF is absolutely made up so there ARE no rules to FTF. Reminds me of a fun movie quote:

Vern: You think Mighty Mouse could beat up Superman?

Teddy: What are you, cracked?

Vern: No, I saw him on TV the other day, he was holding five elephants in one hand.

Teddy: Boy, you don't know nothing. Mighty Mouse is a cartoon. Superman's a real guy. There's no way a cartoon could beat up a real guy.

Splitting hairs over a non-existent FTF prize/designation is just as silly. Doing it within the cache logs is bad taste.

Dan-oh

Splitting hairs over a non-existent FTF prize/designation is just as silly.  Doing it within the cache logs is bad taste.

Dan-oh

I agree. Let's keep it friendly, please! After all, it's really just a meaningless game :)

"It's not whether you win or lose; it's how you play the game." GoBolt played fair and someone else was childish and didn't. I can totally understand his annoyance. I've written things in the logs when I was annoyed but later when I cooled down, I went back and deleted those things. It's easy to see the high road answer when you're not angry! :ph34r:

Anyhow, if you take a step back, you have to admit that people arguing over who was the first to sign a tiny little piece of paper stuck in an altoids tin is pretty funny! :ph34r:

Edited by TrailGators

GCQNFV

It came out yesterday on the 23rd.

I can see both points of view on this but as others have mentioned, it really doesn't matter. If you are keeping FTF stats for yourself as many do, count it as a FTF and forget about what the others are doing.

One point of clarification though: It sounds to me like the cache was "disabled" when it got listed, not "archived." There is no such thing as temporarily archived. Theoretically an archived cache has gone away forever and a disabled cache is just temporarily unavailable while the owner does some maintenance or something. Theoretically you are not supposed to go hunt for a disabled cache. The purpose of disabling it in the first place is so you don't go out looking for it because the owner has to fix it first. With that said, if you go out and find it anyway, there is nothing wrong with logging it (IMHO).

Lastly, I agree with Dan-oh that it is bad taste to have a heated debate with another cacher on someone’s cache page. I would suggest that you go in and delete your comments.

RM

oops

This post has been edited by The Cow Spots on Sep 25 2005, 01:26 PM

Wazzat Cow Spots? If you don't have something nice to say... :D

No, I just pulled something out that my little brother TT posted while he was over here and he apparently didn't realize he was logged in under my account.

No harm, no foul.

vert.rocket.launch.ap.jpg Sorry Rocket Man - its not one of yours!

What do you mean?:

The Lockheed Martin-built satellite, dubbed GPS IIR-M, is the first in a series of eight new spacecraft designed to provide stronger signal strength, better protection against jamming and additional signals for both military and civilian users.

I know, it's not our Rocket, but Space Systems Company of LM who I work for built the actual GPS. Also, if you look at the UNITED STATES MILITARY MANIFEST, you will see that we have a string of GPS launches coming up in 07:

07 Atlas V401 NAVSTAR/GPS 2F-2

07 Atlas V401 NAVSTAR/GPS 2F-3

07 Atlas V401 DMSP-5D3 F18

07 Atlas V401 NAVSTAR/GPS 2F-4

Dave

vert.rocket.launch.ap.jpg Sorry Rocket Man - its not one of yours!

What do you mean?:

The Lockheed Martin-built satellite, dubbed GPS IIR-M, is the first in a series of eight new spacecraft designed to provide stronger signal strength, better protection against jamming and additional signals for both military and civilian users.

I know, it's not our Rocket, but Space Systems Company of LM who I work for built the actual GPS. Also, if you look at the UNITED STATES MILITARY MANIFEST, you will see that we have a string of GPS launches coming up in 07:

07 Atlas V401 NAVSTAR/GPS 2F-2

07 Atlas V401 NAVSTAR/GPS 2F-3

07 Atlas V401 DMSP-5D3 F18

07 Atlas V401 NAVSTAR/GPS 2F-4

Dave

We should make one of those an event!

Are any being launched from Vanderburg?

Oi Karen (miragee), what's this? The SD congrats thread not good enough for you??

:blink:

Oi that is so embarrassing. I use that site for their great .gpx maptool. I was over there when that was first launched and thought I would see what "The Milestone" was all about. :unsure:

Acckkkkk! I actually emailed the webmaster, Robert, and asked him if he would edit it for me . . . obviously he didn't. :laughing:

Oi Karen (miragee), what's this? The SD congrats thread not good enough for you??

:blink:

Oi that is so embarrassing. I use that site for their great .gpx maptool. I was over there when that was first launched and thought I would see what "The Milestone" was all about. :unsure:

Acckkkkk! I actually emailed the webmaster, Robert, and asked him if he would edit it for me . . . obviously he didn't. :laughing:

Hey Karen, I guess if I say, "You rock!" you'll know why. :ph34r:

<_< Oh Oh!!

Suspicious bucket on Idaho 55's Rainbow Bridge holds up traffic Possible bomb was really part of elaborate game

As Police spokesman Rick Ohnsman said, "I don't know if it's legal — but it's stupid."

Hey Now! One of the big misconceptions of geocaching...that there's a GPSr in the container! Now that would get expensive.

"The suspicious object turned out to be a geocache, a container with a GPS tracking device used for a kind of scavenger hunt called geocaching."

D!

<_<  Oh Oh!!

Suspicious bucket on Idaho 55's Rainbow Bridge holds up traffic Possible bomb was really part of elaborate game

As Police spokesman Rick Ohnsman said, "I don't know if it's legal — but it's stupid."

Hey Now! One of the big misconceptions of geocaching...that there's a GPSr in the container! Now that would get expensive.

"The suspicious object turned out to be a geocache, a container with a GPS tracking device used for a kind of scavenger hunt called geocaching."

D!

I guess that one's rated a 5 because you need special equipment: a bomb proof suit! <_< But seriously, that container does look a little suspicious in that location.

It looks like the Geobabes are trying to coax a big animal out of hiding.

BTW:  I am in SD tonight.  It feels good to be back.

Rocket Man

Rocket Man,

Welcome back if only for a while.

You are ever-so right about the Geobabes, I've been down on my knees begging for mercy since I joined up with their Wednesday outings. It's just awful.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

D!

If anyone knows of these containers with a GPSr in them, please let me know. <_<

<_<  Uh Oh!!

How retarded is that story? "The suspicious object turned out to be a geocache, a container with a GPS tracking device used for a kind of scavenger hunt called geocaching."

Mind you, it's a pretty dumb place to put a cache that big, all strung up to the bridge structure. Wonder who the "33-year-old Meridian man" is, but I suspect he's getting smacked all over the forums, not to mention the local jailhouse! Also, the geocacher they quote obviously hasn't read the cache placement guidelines very well...

"Rules control placement of objects in environmentally or culturally sensitive areas, said Matt Dickinson, who works at Idaho Outdoor Outfitters in Nampa. He said he got hooked on geocaching a couple years ago. But he said he's not aware of rules for bridges or other potential terrorist targets. "There are guidelines, but there's never been a guideline for that," he said."

Here's the list of off-limits placements, including:

* Caches hidden in close proximity to active railroad tracks. In general we use a distance of 150 ft but your local area’s trespassing laws may be different. All local laws apply.

* Caches near or under public structures deemed potential or possible targets for terrorist attacks. These include but are not limited to highway bridges, dams, government buildings, elementary and secondary schools, and airports.

Speaking of RULES! I would like to remind all cachers to beware of caching ALONE. Not a good idea. Also, WEAR YOUR GEAR. Not a good idea to hike these trails in sandles. I found out the hard way. Here I sit for 2 months with a broken ankle. Oh, it was just a little trail up in Mill Valley , CA. :) NOT, I slipped and broke the ankle in 3 places. After surgery, 2 steel plates and 7 screws, I am mending slowly. No caching for me for 4 or 5 months. Boo Hoo. Use your senses and wear hiking boots. Bring a friend and cell phone and water. My husband was with me and he could call the hospital, and he toted me 1/4 mile on his back down the path to the car. Wow I'm glad I wasn't alone. Reading these posts makes me jealous. wish I was out there with you. Have fun in Big Bear. Sue from RV Paces- Carlsbad CA

I have a picture to post, but not sure how to do it here.

Speaking of RULES!  I would like to remind all cachers to beware of caching ALONE.  Not a good idea. Also, WEAR YOUR GEAR.  Not a good idea to hike these trails in sandles. I found out the hard way.  Here I sit for 2 months with a broken ankle. Oh, it was just a little trail up in Mill Valley , CA. :lol:  NOT, I slipped and broke the ankle in 3 places. After surgery, 2 steel plates and 7 screws, I am mending slowly. No caching for me for 4 or 5 months. Boo Hoo.  Use your senses and wear hiking boots. Bring a friend and cell phone and water.  My husband was with me and he could call the hospital, and he toted me 1/4 mile on his back down the path to the car. Wow I'm glad I wasn't alone.  Reading these posts makes me jealous. wish I was out there with you.  Have fun in Big Bear.  Sue from RV Paces- Carlsbad CA 

I have a picture to post, but not sure how to do it here.

:) Wow, so sorry to hear about that! :)