The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

All this terrible news from the path of Katrina. I wonder how many NEW ORLEANS cache container victims there have been? When I see the flooding news photos, I am looking for floating tupperware and ammo boxes! One piece of good news, Fats Domino has been found. Good luck to the area. Maybe a few CITO events after the water gets drained out!

I may be leaving for New Orleans today.... I have put a lot of the caches in my GPSr, but I don't think I will have time for caching as I am going out as part of the relief effort. I will let y'all know what I find out if I can find my way to a computer with power. Otherwise, it may be two weeks till I talk to ya.

KEEP SAFE

All this terrible news from the path of Katrina. I wonder how many NEW ORLEANS cache container victims there have been? When I see the flooding news photos, I am looking for floating tupperware and ammo boxes! One piece of good news, Fats Domino has been found. Good luck to the area. Maybe a few CITO events after the water gets drained out!

I may be leaving for New Orleans today.... I have put a lot of the caches in my GPSr, but I don't think I will have time for caching as I am going out as part of the relief effort. I will let y'all know what I find out if I can find my way to a computer with power. Otherwise, it may be two weeks till I talk to ya.

Good luck and keep safe.

I was close to going myself, but we have met our "quota". My office is sending 6-7 volunteers.

Go for the virtuals first.

taking us off the tragic topic of Louisana....

Dan-oh, Bob & the 3 Bears and i need help with an event we are finishing up planning.

Attempting to have it the last weekend in september.

Called Geo-rocktober Fest (dan-oh's camo will be involved as well as...well...rocks)

What we need...

Anybody ever checked out/picnic'd in Mast Park in Santee or Harry Griffen Park in La Mesa? we need a recon and coordinates of the picnic areas, parking. both of those parks have some trails to play in as well as a place to gather...need space for about 100-200 people.

our current spot is San Degito (?) which requires $200 reservation and $2 per car to enter.

what do you think?

Dan-oh, Bob & the 3 Bears and i need help with an event we are finishing up planning.

Called Geo-rocktober Fest (dan-oh's camo will be involved as well as...well...rocks)

What we need...

Anybody ever checked out/picnic'd in Mast Park in Santee or  Harry Griffen Park in La Mesa? we need a recon and coordinates of the picnic areas, parking. both of those parks have some trails to play in as well as a place to gather...need space for about 100-200 people.

our current spot is San Degito (?) which requires $200 reservation and $2 per car to enter.

what do you think?

Both will hold all well.

Griffen Park provides three caged areas (depending on dog size) for dogs to run free. :laughing: GD Ginger loves going here.

Neither charge for parking but may charge for reservations.

Edited by Chuy

Godspeed! Although highly unlikely, if there is any chance you should check out VIEW CARRE ' by Bamboozle (GCE02C) Click Here. Unless the tall buildings are open downtown, it will be impossible to attempt. But if you are able to check it out, give Bamboozle my best.

What we need...

Anybody ever checked out/picnic'd in Mast Park in Santee or  Harry Griffen Park in La Mesa? we need a recon and coordinates of the picnic areas, parking. both of those parks have some trails to play in as well as a place to gather...need space for about 100-200 people.

what do you think?

I stopped by Mast park this afternoon.

Parking coords N32 51.424 W116 54.366

Forgot to get picnic coords, but picnic tables are spread out about 300 feet east of parking.

Edited by Chuy

What we need...

what do you think?

I stopped by Mast park this afternoon.

Parking coords N32 51.424 W116 54.366

Forgot to get picnic coords, but picnic tables are spread out about 300 feet east of parking.

Thanks Chuy...gonna try to get the Harry Griffen today to check it out more

I guess all those hours webcaming the Geobabes has paid off.

Dave,

No kidding, doing the many webcam captures for the Geobabes is one of the toughest assignments of my Geocaching experience. For some odd reason that I don't fully understand they aren't always willing to pose as directed. Why you'd think I was asking them to do something awful. You know, it's like having two more wives.

Yeah, I know, I love it.

We sure lucked out today. That darned Tiny Town webcam takes a lot of unscheduled coffee breaks. No wonder there's so few logs. Not to worry after all, we were a shoo-in with your digital-camera shot and Photoshop software.

Ain't technology grand? Together though apart as in Robert Frost's "Tuft of Flowers."

Harmon

e7aa2ff2-8186-4bf1-af4e-0899bab8a604.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

I thought I would share some of Colorado with my SD friends. After fooling around with that webcam, we headed west into the Rockies and took a fun 21 mile dirt road over a pass that was almost 12,000 feet. This Cache has waypoints along the route. Here are a few photos:

2d05bd5d-f0a0-4cd0-a04c-1dff5571c62f.jpg

de3a0bfd-b414-480b-b404-f5002ab4c74b.jpg

Note: This is above the treeline.

d2f70d3a-4aa4-455b-8fcf-f7f31319763c.jpg

6104920f-0611-4232-b099-3989d2742431.jpg

4bddb34f-46ec-493a-9bb5-d7c946e80a6d.jpg

f6ad2a2a-d737-4b26-8632-7a2ca42c64b0.jpg

03ca1040-c043-4366-957d-55ffe1a83a53.jpg

2ebf37fa-8bf4-40cd-b38f-25052751b475.jpg

Edited by Rocket Man

Introducing Myself, and need help.

Hi, I'm Jamie, aka DymnDog (pronounced Diamond Dog). I live in the Eastlake area of Chula Vista and travel throughout the Southwest for my business. I'm relatively new, but after 30 finds, I feel ready at least make my presence known to the experts.

Besides saying hi, I thought that this forum would be helpful in tracking down Pete, of "Pedroz & Cyndyz". I took the full disposable camera out of "This Old Thing", and got it developed (many good photos of local GC'ers, by the way) and got them to Pete via a GeoDrop. Other than hearing that he got the photos, I haven't heard from him since, and haven't seen the photos posted on the site. Are they on vacation, are they OK? I'm a little worried.

-Jamie

You'll have to go back in a few months & show those same areas all white.  And tell us how deep it is.  I mean the snow, of course! ;)  :huh:

Don't remind me about the snow. We are liking it just fine with the way the weather is now. BTW: Before the snow in the mountains, there will be this:

aspen-color-5-big.jpg

Autumn is by far my favorite season! As far as winter, snow isn't so bad. You might even get a white Christmas! :D

Hi, I'm Jamie, aka DymnDog (pronounced Diamond Dog). I live in the Eastlake area of Chula Vista and travel throughout the Southwest for my business. I'm relatively new, but after 30 finds, I feel ready at least make my presence known to the experts.

Besides saying hi, I thought that this forum would be helpful in tracking down Pete, of "Pedroz & Cyndyz". I took the full disposable camera out of "This Old Thing", and got it developed (many good photos of local GC'ers, by the way) and got them to Pete via a GeoDrop. Other than hearing that he got the photos, I haven't heard from him since, and haven't seen the photos posted on the site. Are they on vacation, are they OK? I'm a little worried.

-Jamie

Welcome DymnDog!

Eastlake is a bit underrepresented on the cache side; maybe you can help. I have a few areas I'm looking at.

Don't hesitate to ask for help; we're all a friendly bunch.

So my friend from South Africa, who has been geocaching much much longer than I have, was telling me of a TB race that they have going on down there.  ( TB Race )  I was wondering if we've ever done something like this in San Diego, sounds like fun.  -lokidog

I've picked up several TBs racing other TBs. There have been "sanctioned" TB races from the east coast to the west coast.

Some threads on past races (most appear to begin in January):

Nascar racing.

Cannonball Race.

2004 Race through America.

Races will be posted on The Travel Bug section.

I don't recall a San Diego TB race; maybe some of the old timers :lol: will recall one.

-Jamie

DymnDog,

Welcome to the Forum and to the San Diego Geocaching scene. As Gecko Dad mentioned, we are a friendly bunch in a fun sort of way.

Already checked your profile and photo gallery for shots we can 'shop. We could use some frontal shots of you and family. Not to worry why we want them, just ask Don the Gecko dude and others about our honest intentions. Trust us ... in particular Trailgators, Dillon, and Qdman. I do what I can to control 'em.

Harmon of SD Rowdies

6714732a-6d60-4cf4-bd36-2426a7efe74d.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies
Well, there goes some more caches!  :lol:  Maybe.  I can't really tell from the tv where the fire is.  At least the builders won't have to worry about clearing the brush around Blk Mtn now.  :(  I thing the Easter Egg Hunt series is ok, tho.  :(

Bit hard to tell, but I saw an aerial shot where it looked like the fire burned to the edge of the trail. If so, the easter eggs on the south-east side may be fried. :(

DymnDog,

Welcome to the Forum and to the San Diego Geocaching scene. As Gecko Dad mentioned, we are a friendly bunch in a fun sort of way.

Already checked your profile and photo gallery for shots we can 'shop.  We could use some frontal shots of you and family. Not to worry why we want them, just ask Don the Gecko dude and others about our honest intentions. Trust us ... in particular Trailgators, Dillon, and Qdman. I do what I can to control 'em.

Harmon of SD Rowdies

6714732a-6d60-4cf4-bd36-2426a7efe74d.jpg

Harmon, and everyone,

Thanks for such a warm welcome. Nice touch with the photo. That is me and my 2 yr old daughter walking from the "Olympic Gold Silver, Bronze" cache.

Against my better judgement, Harmon....skip on over to my Band's web page for all sorts of goodies. I'm the guy with the trumpet: Jump Jones

If I can redirect everyone's attention to my question...I'm still trying to get hold of Pete, of "Pedroz & Cyndyz".

Does anyone know them? He and I suddenly lost contact after he received the developed photos from "This Old Thing". I just want to know if he is OK.

I'm scoping out places for my first cache placement. The Otay Lakes area has awesome places, and really quite close.

-Jamie

So my friend from South Africa, who has been geocaching much much longer than I have, was telling me of a TB race that they have going on down there.  ( TB Race )  I was wondering if we've ever done something like this in San Diego, sounds like fun.  -lokidog

It isn't exactly an official race but I can share that we launched San Diego Psyduck #1

and San Diego Psyduck #2 in a little friendly competion. Unfortunately, SDP #1 has been missing for the past year after gaining a huge initial lead.

-Gecko Dad

Edited by Team Gecko

It isn't exactly an official race but I can share that we launched San Diego Psyduck #1

and San Diego Psyduck #2 in a little friendly competion. Unfortunately, SDP #1 has been missing for the past year after gaining a huge initial lead.

-Gecko Dad

I only own 4 travel bugs, and made them race each other.....but they're not getting very far!

Race to the Place

The Ayer's Rock one is on its way to Australia with a service-person, last I heard, and The Alamo has made it to Pennsylvania. but the others are mired in SD county somewhere.

I'm the guy with the trumpet.

Cool! thanks for the photo link. O.K. gang, free-for-all with the new photos for the Banter thread.

Let me see, Baldy of Baldy & Goldilocks fame is a trombonist and Clari-netacache plays what you might suspect, both with the San Diego Concert Band.

Edited by SD Rowdies
I'm the guy with the trumpet.

Cool! thanks for the photo link. O.K. gang, free-for-all with the new photos for the Banter thread.

Let me see, Baldy of Baldy & Goldilocks fame is a trombonist and Clari-netacache plays what you might suspect, both with the San Diego Concert Band.

DymnDog welcome! Sorry but I don't know those guys. Anyhow, just wait until you see what Harmon does with that photo! :lol: Hopefully, it's not too bad and Harmon only just turns your band into the Blues Brothers or something like that! :(

Say DymnDog can you please help me with this cache? I have zero knowledge of music but enjoy doing puzzle caches. There is a cd hidden somewhere in SD with this music recorded on it, but I have never been lucky enough to run across it. Maybe you could make an mp3 out of the sheet music with your trumpet and send it to me?! I'll buy you a beer! :(

If I can redirect everyone's attention to my question...I'm still trying to get hold of Pete, of "Pedroz & Cyndyz".

Hey DymnDog:

We are still here! We have been a little busy and are still sitting on the photos that you so graciously developed for us our "This Old Thing" cache in Otay. We will post them soon. Sorry that we haven't gotten them in sooner. Hang in there, they will be up soon!

Cyndyz (of Pedroz & Cyndyz)

-Gecko Dad

I only own 4 travel bugs, and made them race each other.....but they're not getting very far!

Race to the Place

The Ayer's Rock one is on its way to Australia with a service-person, last I heard, and The Alamo has made it to Pennsylvania. but the others are mired in SD county somewhere.

Our most traveled has been Patriot Gecko which made it to Afghanistan and back. Pretty cool to use Google Earth to check out its travels.

-GD

Say DymnDog can you please help me with this cache? I have zero knowledge of music but enjoy doing puzzle caches. There is a cd hidden somewhere in SD with this music recorded on it, but I have never been lucky enough to run across it. Maybe you could make an mp3 out of the sheet music with your trumpet and send it to me?! I'll buy you a beer! :lol:

Wow.

At first glance, it appears that each "segment" is a different song...possibly a song with a number associated with the title?

I'll chew on it for a while and plunk out a few of the melodies to see if I can identify anything.

Hey DymnDog:

We are still here!  We have been a little busy and are still sitting on the photos that you so graciously developed for us our "This Old Thing" cache in Otay.  We will post them soon.  Sorry that we haven't gotten them in sooner.  Hang in there, they will be up soon!

Cyndyz (of Pedroz & Cyndyz)

That's great to hear! I was just starting to get a little worried. I'm glad everything is fine. I know about being busy. New Job, New Baby, stuff like that....

Say DymnDog can you please help me with this cache? I have zero knowledge of music but enjoy doing puzzle caches. There is a cd hidden somewhere in SD with this music recorded on it, but I have never been lucky enough to run across it. Maybe you could make an mp3 out of the sheet music with your trumpet and send it to me?! I'll buy you a beer! :(

Wow.

At first glance, it appears that each "segment" is a different song...possibly a song with a number associated with the title?

I'll chew on it for a while and plunk out a few of the melodies to see if I can identify anything.

Hi DymnDog, based on the logs for that cache, I think it may be a medley of songs. I am fairly good at "Name That Tune"! :lol:

Congrats to Princess Toadstool who found #1000 today.

She chose "Ding dong, the witch is dead!" for number 1000. Great fun Dan-oh! . . . and thanks FlagMan. :laughing:

We saw the fire and flames from Escondido E and wondered about the caches down in the area of the fire. The flames looked like they were shooting up 80-100 feet in the air. Very scary. :laughing:

Congrats Princess Toadstool.

I can hear you roaring up behind me. As you pass by, slow down just a bit so I can say hi.....