The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I came across these helpful bookmarks of I-75 caches. Has anyone thought of pulling some lists/bookmarks together for recommended caches along I-15, I-8, or the 395?

I just came down the 395 and got several along there. Did not take me too long to find several to go look at. Sure help me make my 100 quicker.

Took forever to get down the 395 but I found things I never knew was there or if I knew had no idea of the beauty or the history. Was a grand trip

I had a great trip down the 395 from Reno a little over a month ago. I found some cool caches, some interesting Virtuals, a very emotional Virtual at Manzanar, and saw the Mono Lake Earthcache. :ph34r:

I still had 432 "unfound" caches in my database when I got home . . . :anitongue:

I was hoping to take a camping trip up that way again . . . but with gas prices where they are . . . I don't know . . . <_<

I had a great trip down the 395 from Reno a little over a month ago. I found some cool caches, some interesting Virtuals, a very emotional Virtual at Manzanar, and saw the Mono Lake Earthcache. :ph34r:

I still had 432 "unfound" caches in my database when I got home . . . :anitongue:

I was hoping to take a camping trip up that way again . . . but with gas prices where they are . . . I don't know . . . <_<

That's great!! Now if we could just pull together everyone's recommended finds along the 395 that have been found by each of you and maybe some notes we might find someone in this forum that would be willing to make a nice little bookmark list for all of us that want to make that journey north ! :lol::o:o:o

Okay, how weird is this!  I found the old XXXXXXXXXX cache today, bone dry in perfect shape.  Now, I challenge you to find the archived page for this cache.  You might have trouble finding it.  The cache was abandoned by it's owner after Flagman found it in March of 2004.  Why, who knows? 

This one?

xxxxxxxxx

I think it was archived along with the other XXXXXXX caches because the Rangers didn't want them there AT ALL - not even the name of the park was left on the web site when they were archived (notice that the coordinates have been zeroed out as well).

Hmmm, well, I guess we'll see what happens...

D!

Well, as long as we don't mention the The Park With No Name by name (oops, too late!) or provide the coordinates, I don't see how there could be a problem.. (assuming they haven't "bookmarked" it :anitongue: )

The first cache was further out on the ridge under some cactus, it really wasn't on

the trail but as I remember there wasnt any vegetation really to bust through all you had to do was wander around the bushes and go to the edge of ridge and look under the cactus.

The rangers supposedly bagged it after about 10 finds or so, Then it was rehidden a few days later where I guess it still is today.

If it is the one I'm thinking about The first to find was on 6-6-01 I was the 2nd finder on 6-7-01 and Tuna was the 14th then when it was moved.

Okay, how weird is this!  I found the old XXXXXXXXXX cache today, bone dry in perfect shape.  Now, I challenge you to find the archived page for this cache.  You might have trouble finding it.  The cache was abandoned by it's owner after Flagman found it in March of 2004.  Why, who knows? 

This one?

xxxxxxxxx

I think it was archived along with the other XXXXXXX caches because the Rangers didn't want them there AT ALL - not even the name of the park was left on the web site when they were archived (notice that the coordinates have been zeroed out as well).

Hmmm, well, I guess we'll see what happens...

D!

Well, as long as we don't mention the The Park With No Name by name (oops, too late!) or provide the coordinates, I don't see how there could be a problem.. (assuming they haven't "bookmarked" it :anitongue: )

The first cache was further out on the ridge under some cactus, it really wasn't on

the trail but as I remember there wasnt any vegetation really to bust through all you had to do was wander around the bushes and go to the edge of ridge and look under the cactus.

The rangers supposedly bagged it after about 10 finds or so, Then it was rehidden a few days later where I guess it still is today.

If it is the one I'm thinking about The first to find was on 6-6-01 I was the 2nd finder on 6-7-01 and Tuna was the 14th then when it was moved.

What I didn't realize was that the log in there was a replacement. No, he wasn't FTF. Still interesting to see the "old" logs, though.

D!

Okay, how weird is this!  I found the old Torrey Pines Extension cache today, bone dry in perfect shape.  Now, I challenge you to find the archived page for this cache.  You might have trouble finding it.  The cache was abandoned by it's owner after Flagman found it in March of 2004.  Why, who knows? 

This one?

xxxxxxxxx

I think it was archived along with the other Torrey Pines caches because the Rangers didn't want them there AT ALL - not even the name of the park was left on the web site when they were archived (notice that the coordinates have been zeroed out as well).

I think that maybe the owner of the cache did that when he archived it. Notice this one also. Same owner. Notice the Coords are 17 N and 032 W. Looks like a mistake when he tried to zero it out.

I was hoping to take a camping trip up that way again . . . but with gas prices where they are . . .  I don't know . . . <_<

That's great!! Now if we could just pull together everyone's recommended finds along the 395 that have been found by each of you and maybe some notes we might find someone in this forum that would be willing to make a nice little bookmark list for all of us that want to make that journey north ! :lol::o:o:o

Let me know when you want the list and I will give you the ones I found that were great....I second the Manzanar one.......especially the water reservoir virtual by Team Gecko. Had no idea it was there. Also the Mt Whitney fish hatchery was grand........and a few more.......so let me know.

I'm just going to change my sig to "Congratulations to (insert cacher name) for hitting (number)!"  :anitongue:

Seriously, good work Reids, Rowdies, and Smilinglady13.  <_<

Can I just adopt the "Dittos on the Congrats" convention? Or when I'm feeling completely conservative, Mega-Dittos.... Problem is you look like a heel if you get busy and don't log onto the Thread for a while...

Dittos on the Congrats to Team Reid, SD Rowdies, Miragee, smilinglady13, jahoadi(?) and God knows how many others I inadvertently missed!

Edited by FlagMan
Okay, how weird is this! I found the old Torrey Pines Extension cache today, bone dry in perfect shape. Now, I challenge you to find the archived page for this cache. You might have trouble finding it. The cache was abandoned by it's owner after Flagman found it in March of 2004. Why, who knows? I added a new log book to the cache, took new coordinates and re-hid in the same place. 'there was even a TB in there! Cache doesn't have any great swag, but it is neat to see the old logs (Tuna was FTF). Duncan and the lost cache, indeed!

D!

What's even weirder to me is that I KNOW I logged finds on both those caches, but my logs were deleted by the owner. No explanation, no response to e-mail, nothing. Just deleted my logs. And now the caches are archived in a most peculiar manner!

I came across these helpful bookmarks of I-75 caches. Has anyone thought of pulling some lists/bookmarks together for recommended caches along I-15, I-8, or the 395?

I just came down the 395 and got several along there. Did not take me too long to find several to go look at. Sure help me make my 100 quicker.

Took forever to get down the 395 but I found things I never knew was there or if I knew had no idea of the beauty or the history. Was a grand trip

Great idea! Also add Rte 66 to the list....Parsa??

Nick

GrnZoom

Nick

GrnZoom

A while back someone asked if you can generate a pocket query for caches along, say a stretch of highway. The answer was "no", and still is.

However, if you have GSAK, I recently discovered a feature called "Arc/Poly" under "Set Filters", which is under the "Search" drop down menu, that does just this.

You would first have to generate your pocket queries that cover the interested area and consolidate all the waypoints into one GSAK file (I hear it can manage over 10K waypoints) then use the feature to generate your list.

I haven't played much with the feature, but it looks interesting.

Yep, for some of you that noticed, I finally forked down $20 and paid my subscription to GSAK; it's worth it!

A while back someone asked if you can generate a pocket query for caches along, say a stretch of highway.  The answer was "no", and still is. 

However, if you have GSAK, I recently discovered a feature called "Arc/Poly" under "Set Filters", which is under the "Search" drop down menu, that does just this.

You would first have to generate your pocket queries that cover the interested area and consolidate all the waypoints into one GSAK file (I hear it can manage over 10K waypoints) then use the feature to generate your list.

I haven't played much with the feature, but it looks interesting.

Yep, for some of you that noticed, I finally forked down $20 and paid my subscription to GSAK; it's worth it!

See 2nd Method in my thread for detailed instructions on doing this using a route generated in Mapsource. RM

Edit: I decided to repeat the Arc Filter instructions here for clarity:

1. Draw your route in Mapsource (this is easy if you let Mapsource autoroute).

2. Save the Mapsource file in the old .mps format using Save As (this is necessary because GSAK can't read the newer file format):

6771ba78-97dd-4575-be78-78c1830d944d.jpg

3. Download multiple Pocket Queries spaced along the route.

4. Put them all into one folder and open them all into GSAK at once using these settings (change the path/folder name to the folder where you put your PQs):

35175cc7-8753-42bf-bb37-541a9489a607.jpg

5. Open up the GSAK filter dialog and go to the Arc/Poly tab. Click on Load from File and select the .mps file that you saved in step 2 (This will input a bunch of waypoints in to the Arc/Poly dialog box, representing your route - the waypoints are already loaded in the dialog in the image below):

e4a4a551-47de-4ea8-86cc-1fdc9d0771ea.jpg

6. Now just select the distance from your route that you want the filter to use and click GO. The filter will eliminate any caches that are more than 1 mile from your route (at least it will approximate that. You can now export the remaining caches to any of you applications that you want.)

Here is TG's 395 route with a 1 mile distance selected:

cd9d99ed-aff6-43a8-9679-6207377289cb.jpg

Note: This also works with Magellan Mapsend routes.

Edited by Rocket Man
Okay, how weird is this!  I found the old Torrey Pines Extension cache today, bone dry in perfect shape.  Now, I challenge you to find the archived page for this cache.  You might have trouble finding it.  The cache was abandoned by it's owner after Flagman found it in March of 2004.  Why, who knows?  I added a new log book to the cache, took new coordinates and re-hid in the same place.  'there was even a TB in there!  Cache doesn't have any great swag, but it is neat to see the old logs (Tuna was FTF).  Duncan and the lost cache, indeed!

D!

What's even weirder to me is that I KNOW I logged finds on both those caches, but my logs were deleted by the owner. No explanation, no response to e-mail, nothing. Just deleted my logs. And now the caches are archived in a most peculiar manner!

Re-log them. I don't think that the owner will even notice now. It is only fair. Especially if Spyder1 can log it three times (and a few others twice), I don't see why you can't log it once. I checked the page, and it's not locked from new logs, so GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, how weird is this!  I found the old Torrey Pines Extension cache today, bone dry in perfect shape.  Now, I challenge you to find the archived page for this cache.  You might have trouble finding it.  The cache was abandoned by it's owner after Flagman found it in March of 2004.  Why, who knows?  I added a new log book to the cache, took new coordinates and re-hid in the same place.  'there was even a TB in there!  Cache doesn't have any great swag, but it is neat to see the old logs (Tuna was FTF).  Duncan and the lost cache, indeed!

D!

Re-log them. I don't think that the owner will even notice now. It is only fair. Especially if Spyder1 can log it three times (and a few others twice), I don't see why you can't log it once. I checked the page, and it's not locked from new logs, so GO FOR IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I second the motion. Log it!

D!

Nick

GrnZoom

I have two virts on Route 66. One is in Victorville (Route 66 - The California Route 66 Museum) and one is in the Cajon Pass area (Route 66 - The Blue Cut).

A couple guys from AAA recently travelled 66 in order to help update the AAA Route 66 map. They documented their travels online, and placed several real and virtual caches along the way. Other folks have also made specific caches dedicated to 66. There are of course a lot of random caches along the road.

dhsundance and I once traveled 66 from Santa Monica to somewhere around San Dimas (I went on a little more to Claremont to stay with a friend). We found everything within a couple blocks of 66 along the route. It was a lot of fun. I did my own caching trip from Barstow to Victorville a couple months ago.

Parsa

"Did anyone mention a non-GSAK method of caches on a route? I can't use GSAK."

That's what I was trying to get at by finding something similar to the I-75 caches that we could pull together. Rather than repeating "research" that's been conducted over and over again it would be nice to view these caches with some additional narrative from some of the locals who have done them.....as more of use do the route we can add more caches or comments......just a thought. :)

RM,

I didn't read all the posts in this thread you started.

Did anyone mention a non-GSAK method of caches on a route? I can't use GSAK.

Parsa

The Arc Filter function in GSAK is actually accomplished by GPSBabel (GSAK uses GPSBabel under the hood for all of its file conversions, etc.). With a little extra effort, you can do the filtering directly using GPSBabel and there is a Mac Version which I assume has the Arc Filtering capability. Robertlipe describes using GPSBabel for caches along a route here. RM

RM,

Parsa

Well, actually I should qualify that statement. I'm forced to use a PC for Mapsend, but once I get the map files, I transfer them to my Mac for storage and use. (All Magellan files are just text files.) I could use GSAK on the PC too, but I afraid that if I use it too much I may be seduced by the Dark Side. :)

Parsa

RM,

Parsa

Well, actually I should qualify that statement. I'm forced to use a PC for Mapsend, but once I get the map files, I transfer them to my Mac for storage and use. (All Magellan files are just text files.) I could use GSAK on the PC too, but I afraid that if I use it too much I may be seduced by the Dark Side. :)

Parsa

If you think like that, then you already have been seduced by the Dark Side! :)

RM,

Parsa

Parsa

No, I still want to slice it in half with a light sabre every time I use it.

Parsa

RM,

Parsa

Parsa

Just use this as your Windows background and you will feel better:

Mac-OS-Background-1024.jpg

RM,

Parsa

Parsa

No, I still want to slice it in half with a light sabre every time I use it.

Parsa

I see that the farce is with you. :D

Fortunately, a lot of the Route 66 work has already been done. There's an atlas and companion guidebook that have waypoints for all of 66. One of the authors (Rich Cunningham, really!) has provided the waypoint files in the form of National Geographic .tpo files. These can be converted into any kind of route file with GpsBabel.

I'm not sure what's up with the images, but here's the link:

Route 66 GPS Waypoints

Parsa

http://ushighway66.com/

Fortunately, a lot of the Route 66 work has already been done. There's an atlas and companion guidebook that have waypoints for all of 66. One of the authors (Rich Cunningham, really!) has provided the waypoint files in the form of National Geographic .tpo files. These can be converted into any kind of route file with GpsBabel.

I'm not sure what's up with the images, but here's the link:

Route 66 GPS Waypoints

Parsa

http://ushighway66.com/

Thanks for the links...

We are taking a caching tirp in Oct. to Laughlin/Lake Havasu City

and wanted to do some caching along the way.

We were there in May, since then here has been a lot more caches hidden the the area.

Nick

D!

I second the motion. Log it!

D!

I was one of the ones that logged it twice, but it had been moved to another location after it was muggled :D

What's going on here?

116-33.gif

Recent Earthquakes

(note: this probably will not look the same after 9/1/2005 but today there are 20 or so 3+ earthquakes clustered at the south end of the Salton Sea on this map)

Yikes! that cluster is exactly where the thermal power plant is located. Abandon all hope and restock your "Soylent Green" food packets!

Here's my theory, so many micro caches have been placed near the coastline that southern California is going to crack-open along that Imperial Valley fault line and slip silently into the sea.

The result is that all of the micro-caches will have to be rerated as 1/5s 'cause you'll need a submarine to score them. Abandon all hope that micro containers will float to the surface 'cause the base cover of all those parking-lot light standards can't get past the fixtures at the top of the poles.

Your welcome,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Yikes! that cluster is exactly where the thermal power plant is located. Abandon all hope and restock your "Soylent Green" food packets?

0028051d-723f-4889-8594-991e29a111e2.jpg

Will they re-stock my company cafeteria vending machine too? :P

--TT--

TT,

I hear that stuff is tasty and filling. How do you rate it against chicken-fried steak?

Harmon

What the bloody hell *IS* chicken-fried steak, anyway?!?

It's a Texas thang, you know, fried-chicken but with cows instead of chickens.

No, seriously, chicken-fried steak is like fish, both are transport commodities.

The purpose of fish is to transport the tartar sauce to your mouth whereas the purpose of chicken-fried steak is to transport the gravy and taters to your mouth.

Edited by SD Rowdies

What about the 5 scale down in Mexico? :P

Magnitude 5.0 - local magnitude (ML)

Time Thursday, September 1, 2005 at 6:27:15 PM (PDT)

Friday, September 2, 2005 at 1:27:15 (UTC)

Distance from Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico - 52 km (32 miles) ENE (70 degrees)

Maneadero, Baja California, Mexico - 55 km (34 miles) NE (52 degrees)

Lázaro Cárdenas, Baja California, Mexico - 77 km (48 miles) NNW (333 degrees)

Tecate, Baja California, Mexico - 78 km (49 miles) SE (141 degrees)

Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico - 103 km (64 miles) ESE (123 degrees)

Coordinates 32 deg. 1.4 min. N (32.024N), 116 deg. 6.3 min. W (116.105W)

Depth 40 km (24.9 miles)

Location Quality Poor

Location Quality Parameters Nst=007, Nph=007, Dmin=348.2 km, Rmss=0.54 sec, Erho=0 km, Erzz=0 km, Gp=226.8 degrees

Event ID# at00000394

Edited by nscaler

Whoo Boy. That earthquake a few minutes ago really woke me up. It was a magnatude 5.

A moderate earthquake occurred at 6:27:15 PM (PDT) on Thursday, September 1, 2005.

The magnitude 5.0 event occurred 52 km (32 miles) ENE of Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico.

The hypocentral depth is 40 km (25 miles).

116-33.gif

All this terrible news from the path of Katrina. I wonder how many NEW ORLEANS cache container victims there have been? When I see the flooding news photos, I am looking for floating tupperware and ammo boxes! One piece of good news, Fats Domino has been found. Good luck to the area. Maybe a few CITO events after the water gets drained out!

What floats when New Orleans is flooded are lots of caskets that pop up from their graves. There's been several photos of floating caskets.

Think about it, in our final act we are placed in a water-tight container and hidden away in a verdant, park-like setting. Sound familiar?

Now and then a few relatives or friends come to the park and search for our hidey-hole. The only thing missing is a web page and a set of coordinates.

Now you know why you enjoy Geocaching so much.

All this terrible news from the path of Katrina. I wonder how many NEW ORLEANS cache container victims there have been? When I see the flooding news photos, I am looking for floating tupperware and ammo boxes! One piece of good news, Fats Domino has been found. Good luck to the area. Maybe a few CITO events after the water gets drained out!

I may be leaving for New Orleans today.... I have put a lot of the caches in my GPSr, but I don't think I will have time for caching as I am going out as part of the relief effort. I will let y'all know what I find out if I can find my way to a computer with power. Otherwise, it may be two weeks till I talk to ya.

I may be leaving for New Orleans today.... I have put a lot of the caches in my GPSr, but I don't think I will have time for caching as I am going out as part of the relief effort. I will let y'all know what I find out if I can find my way to a computer with power. Otherwise, it may be two weeks till I talk to ya.

Good Luck Night Hunter!

Good Luck Night Hunter!

Good luck and take your waders.