The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

...does anyone feel that posting numbers that are generated on Google Earth is an acceptable means of placing a cache?...

TT didn't own a GPSr when he first started caching, and he found who knows how many just with topo maps, etc. There some other cacher out there with thousands of finds who doesn't use a GPSr. But that's FINDING caches. Hiding them should be done using the most accurate method available in my book. Google Earth doesn't seem to be the most accurate method....

Yep, we've found a handful using Google maps/sans-GPSr... That being said, averaging, by hand or GPSr is probably the way to go (the quickest link we could find on the subject)! Just don't do what we did and average over the course of weeks or you'll loose some great spots to others! :D:D

J&J

Edit to add: Contrary to our above recommedation, we did not exactly average the coords for our first hide... We had two different units with us and they did not agree. So we went with the newer GPSr. From the logs on that cache it seems we should have gone wih the trusty old BYE!! :o

Edited by John&Jess

I may be wrong, but I believe the Ramona Girls are just that... kids. If that's true, and they have this much interest in the sport, maybe we should all chip in and by them a simple GPS. Then a few of us could show them the ropes of using it.

However, I agree that online maps should not be used to place a cache unless it is an offset cache. In that case a calibrated electronic map will get you to a street corner, and descriptions will take you to the cache. For a micro under a lamp skirt it's not a good idea.

Parsa

...does anyone feel that posting numbers that are generated on Google Earth is an acceptable means of placing a cache?...

TT didn't own a GPSr when he first started caching, and he found who knows how many just with topo maps, etc. There some other cacher out there with thousands of finds who doesn't use a GPSr. But that's FINDING caches. Hiding them should be done using the most accurate method available in my book. Google Earth doesn't seem to be the most accurate method....

Yep, we've found a handful using Google maps/sans-GPSr... That being said, averaging, by hand or GPSr is probably the way to go (the quickest link we could find on the subject)! Just don't do what we did and average over the course of weeks or you'll loose some great spots to others! :D:o

J&J

I don't have that many hides, but the ones I do, I normally visit the site three to four times before I ever publish the numbers. My first numbers are on the scouting run, the 2nd to verify, and the third and sometimes fourth to place before I submit the cache. On a few occasions my numbers have been different on every visit (imagine the nightmare that could be on a multi). If the numbers are off, I attempt to adjust appropriately. However there are places that seem to never get a good reading. Ironically on "Sometimes Here... Sometimes There..." the readings are rarely ever the same, and one finder reported that the numbers were off by a few dozen miles(?).

We should strive to be as accurate as possible when we hide our caches. I know we all have our own methods for finding that works for each of us. But I always expect at least a 30ft error.

I agree with Tom that we should always try to be as accurate as possible! Inaccurate coords also often lead to needless trampling of vegetation/landscaped areas.

I may be wrong, but I believe the Ramona Girls are just that... kids. If that's true, and they have this much interest in the sport, maybe we should all chip in and by them a simple GPS. Then a few of us could show them the ropes of using it.

Short of that, maybe the first few finders can act as their support team and offer them a good set of coordinates to average.

QUOTE (Parsa @ Aug 19 2005, 08:15 PM)

Short of that, maybe the first few finders can act as their support team and offer them a good set of coordinates to average.

Actually, I started this topic for personal knowledge, I thought maybe there was something I didn't know about.

As far as the ages of the Ramona Girls, there pic does show 3 girls, but all of their "Homer" series caches are dedicated to her "dear hubby" that works at Home Depot. So, there is a parent involved.

At any rate, I found #9 in their waterfall series tonight, and it was spot on! Other caches of theirs have been right on as well, it was just a handful that were way off! It may be that they were trying something new, and now know it wasn't working too well.

C4

Have a fun time at the Pizza event guys, sorry I couldn't be there to eat, drink and be merry with you all. We're off down to Baja for a couple of days of R&R.

Talking of events, I know there are at least 3 of us (me, zatyko and devhead) who like to take part in the various running events that go on around town, and I was wondering if there'd be much interest in making one of them into an event cache? It usually costs $20-30 to enter, though some also take donations/pledges from your family and friends. You can often enter as a team, which would make it more fun, and they're usually in the sort of place where you can have a picnic afterwards, so non-runners could still join in the fun.

Here's a good local running calendar - I would suggest a few possibilities:

10/02/05 Balboa Park, 5K walk and 10K run benefitting AIDS charities in SD county.

10/08/05 Pacific Beach, 8K run as part of Pacific Beachfest

10/09/05 Downtown to Coronado, 8K over the bridge

11/06/05 Balboa Park, 5K Susan Komen Race for the Cure

Any takers?

This would be great. I am training for a marthon so anytime I can get an amble with a group the better.

Hey, here's another idea, blindfold Geocaching. When you get close you have to put on a blindfold to finish the hunt.

Harmon

Fun until you stub your toe on a toilet sitting in a field :lol::lol::lol:

Toilet? Whaddaya mean toilet? You talkin' about a cowboy cache girl?

We could always ask Passing Wind to sit on the toilet so's finders could home in on it with their nose.

Glad to see so much positive response to this idea. It's nice to know that Geocachers have such highly developed powers of visualization.

<snip>

Hiding them should be done using the most accurate method available in my book. Google Earth doesn't seem to be the most accurate method....

I think getting "accurate" coordinates can be one of the biggest problems for new cachers on their first hides. I know that I've had problems with bad coords on some of my earlier caches but hopefully I'm past that now. :lol:

Parsa taught me an averaging method that seems to work. I let the unit settle in then record coordinates every 30 seconds for 2-8 minutes. I throw out the extreme high and extreme low and average. When I go back to actually place the container a day of two later, I make sure to get within 10 ft of ground zero, the accepted GPSr accuracy.

Its a real drag to get incorrect coords when I make permanent WP tags on a multi. You be sure Parsa and I worked on the numbers for Snake & Ladders for a while. There's more than 2 way points on that one! :lol:

<snip>

Hiding them should be done using the most accurate method available in my book.  Google Earth doesn't seem to be the most accurate method....

I think getting "accurate" coordinates can be one of the biggest problems for new cachers on their first hides. I know that I've had problems with bad coords on some of my earlier caches but hopefully I'm past that now. :lol:

Parsa taught me an averaging method that seems to work. I let the unit settle in then record coordinates every 30 seconds for 2-8 minutes. I throw out the extreme high and extreme low and average. When I go back to actually place the container a day of two later, I make sure to get within 10 ft of ground zero, the accepted GPSr accuracy.

Its a real drag to get incorrect coords when I make permanent WP tags on a multi. You be sure Parsa and I worked on the numbers for Snake & Ladders for a while. There's more than 2 way points on that one! :lol:

Many GPSs come with a averaging feature! Rocket Man showed me this handy feature on the 60CS. So for the past few caches I've placed I've taken an average of 50 points. Also whenever, we've found a cache off the mark, we've posted coords using this method. However, my Cougar Ridge cache was under tree cover so I also had to back out away from the trees and approach the coordinates several times from each direction until I was convinced I had the right coords. But it's still possible they could be off so I also added a hint with a photo of the view from the correct spot.

. . . Hey, here's another idea, blindfold Geocaching. When you get close you have to put on a blindfold to finish the hunt.

Harmon

Uhhhh. Then don't go after one of the stages of one of Flagman's puzzle cache. These nice ladies were everywhere.

e2d7eaf6-61fa-4036-ae28-ab3ce558d80e.jpg

Which of my caches was that?

Have a fun time at the Pizza event guys, sorry I couldn't be there to eat, drink and be merry with you all. We're off down to Baja for a couple of days of R&R.

Talking of events, I know there are at least 3 of us (me, zatyko and devhead) who like to take part in the various running events that go on around town, and I was wondering if there'd be much interest in making one of them into an event cache? It usually costs $20-30 to enter, though some also take donations/pledges from your family and friends. You can often enter as a team, which would make it more fun, and they're usually in the sort of place where you can have a picnic afterwards, so non-runners could still join in the fun.

Here's a good local running calendar - I would suggest a few possibilities:

10/02/05 Balboa Park, 5K walk and 10K run benefitting AIDS charities in SD county.

10/08/05 Pacific Beach, 8K run as part of Pacific Beachfest

10/09/05 Downtown to Coronado, 8K over the bridge

11/06/05 Balboa Park, 5K Susan Komen Race for the Cure

Any takers?

This would be great. I am training for a marthon so anytime I can get an amble with a group the better.

Well Dr. B. Since you brought it up....I've been waiting for the right moment to mention this fund raiser . Not exactly a run, but hey, bike riding is healthy too.

Dan-oh are you going to be ghost riding again this year? last year was fun, every year is fun. Lets see how many GCers we can get on two wheels and do a few night caches while raising money for a good cause, oh and getting some exercise too!

Larabee's communication center for Zis Is KAOS, Ve Don’t Bush-vaak Here!

Those nice "ladies" were everywhere along there! By now those egg sacks have probably matured. Imagine how many spiders there are now!! :lol::P:lol: :lol:

Yikes! Do you think it is still safe to communicate with the chief?

Yes. Just use your best "Get Smart" spy techniques and you can avoid the dreaded Black Widows and their sticky, very sticky, traps. :P

However, I don't recommend reaching for the communication gear wearing a blindfold. :P

Edit to add appropriate quote . . . must remember to refresh before replying, must remember to refresh before replying, must remember to refesh before replying . . .

Edited by Miragee
. . . Hey, here's another idea, blindfold Geocaching. When you get close you have to put on a blindfold to finish the hunt.

Harmon

Uhhhh. Then don't go after one of the stages of one of Flagman's puzzle cache. These nice ladies were everywhere.

Just to clarify....whats ort of spider is that?

I ask cause if the red "hour glass" insignia that is on it's belly, were in fact on it's back, it would be one of the most nastiest garden variety spiders were I use to live.

Red Back Spider

However, I don't recommend reaching for the communication gear wearing a blindfold.  :laughing:

C'mon, use your imagination, blindfolded with boxing gloves should do it.

To be truly safe wear one of those "Fruit of the Loom" trademark outfits, go as the grape guy. Heck, I'd pay t' see that.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Harmon

Just to clarify....whats ort of spider is that?

I ask cause if the red "hour glass" insignia that is on it's belly, were in fact on it's back, it would be one of the most nastiest garden variety spiders were I use to live.

Red Back Spider

Not much doubt in my mind - seems to be a Black Widow. Click Here For Identification. The "Red Back Spider" is the Australian equivalent, apparently...

Yes, It's an American Black Widow spider. They are poisonous, but not as bad as the Red Back in Australia. Also, definitely nowhere near as bad as the Funnelweb! The Widow can give you a bad injury and sickness, and possibly cause death, especially in children and the elderly.

I saw a public broadcasting special on poisonous animals in Australia, and I'm sure the tourism board would not want you watching that one! Man, there are a lot of things that can kill you in minutes over there! We're pretty lucky in the States. We have animals with toxins, but none are nearly as bad as those in other parts of the world.

Parsa

QUOTE (Cornerstone4 @ Aug 22 2005, 02:31 PM)

Way to go Dave! You betcha! (That was the phrase I was looking for last night!

C4

Is that a "Fargo" reference? 

:lol: Now that you mention it, they did say that in the movie didn't they?

Actually, in my searching for coins for my collection, I came across a thread where they were discussing making a Minnesota coin. Someone suggested putting the phrase "You betcha" on the coin, since they loved hearing a Minnesotan say that.

When I found out Dave was from MN, I was trying to remember what the phrase was so he could say it for me! :P:laughing: I never did remember, so I never got to hear it first hand. B)

QUOTE (Cornerstone4 @ Aug 22 2005, 02:31 PM)

Way to go Dave! You betcha! (That was the phrase I was looking for last night!

C4

Is that a "Fargo" reference? 

:lol: Now that you mention it, they did say that in the movie didn't they?

Actually, in my searching for coins for my collection, I came across a thread where they were discussing making a Minnesota coin. Someone suggested putting the phrase "You betcha" on the coin, since they loved hearing a Minnesotan say that.

When I found out Dave was from MN, I was trying to remember what the phrase was so he could say it for me! :P:laughing: I never did remember, so I never got to hear it first hand. B)

Marge Gunderson: Say Lou, didya hear the one about the guy who couldn't afford personalized plate so he went and changed his name to J3L2404?

Lou: Yah, that's a good one.

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in caching around/attending the Big Bear event on October 1st? Just might happen to have that day off of work! The event starts at 4:00p.m., so the shuttle could leave around 6:00a.m. Not definite, but just sending out feelers.

Robyn :D

B.R.A. is planning on attending the Big Bear event...we have a cache or two up there.

How 'bout the Midnight Madness bicycle ride next Sat night??  20 easy miles starting at midnight....seems like last year I did see some cachers there....I think they took 1st prize for the best costume......Any takers?

I did the Midnight ride last year but I may miss it this year due to a beach campout [in Carlsbad] with the neighbors. Actually, my family will stay in hotel, my neighbors at the beach. I will go caching in the surrounding area with GD Ginger if anyone is interested. My 9yr old is interested in riding it; we'll see.

I will be riding in the Rosarito to Ensenada bike ride on September 24th. Lostguy51 said he will join me again. Yes, he is in his 50's and can ride circles around me!

Then the week after, I may ride in the Tour de Poway with my 9yr old on an old tandem.