The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I have another question for the caching instructors out there.

I am going on a trip up to the Kern River at the end of the month. Is there a way to download caches along our route of travel, without having to do hundreds of queries? The only way I can figure out how to do it is by running many different queries centered around caches I can find along the route.

Well, whaddaya know? I always have my camera handy when I 'cache. A few weeks ago, I started a little blog, so I could share the experience with my friends and family. Then this happens. :)

Excellent Blog!! You're photos are quite good. Way, way better than the pix I take using my cell phone. Keep up the great work!

Tycho

I am going on a trip up to the Kern River at the end of the month. Is there a way to download caches along our route of travel, without having to do hundreds of queries? The only way I can figure out how to do it is by running many different queries centered around caches I can find along the route.

This was covered by Rocket Man in a previous log. But basically the easiest way to do it to is download several slightly intersecting PQ circles of caches along your route. Then cut and paste them all into Mapsource and delete the ones you don't want.Then upload them to your GPS. Otherwise go back through RMs previous logs and you'll find the ultimate method.

Let me be the first to congratulate TrailGator on his 800!

We met him today doing his #799 and on his way to #800. Earlier in the day we spoke on the phone. I had called Kawikaturn to see if he wanted to do the Dan-oh with us forgetting he was in NY. We had a cross country chat and he gave me TrailGators lifeline which we needed! Thanks. Nice to get to know you.

We met him today doing his #799 and on his way to #800. Earlier in the day we spoke on the phone. I had called Kawikaturn to see if he wanted to do the Dan-oh with us forgetting he was in NY. We had a cross country chat and he gave me TrailGators lifeline which we needed! Thanks. Nice to get to know you.

Go 'Gator! :)

But basically the easiest way to do it to is download several slightly intersecting PQ circles of caches along your route.

I am putting mine together for a driving trip to Denver. Used the above mentioned method of intersecting pocking queries. However, i used a different method.

i load all of the pq's into gsak. then create a mapsend file (i use a magellan)

next i follow the route im taking on the mapsend, when i see a cache i want i unflag it in gsak

run a filter in gsak for unflagged caches and upload the gpx files into my gps.

But basically the easiest way to do it to is download several slightly intersecting PQ circles of caches along your route.

I am putting mine together for a driving trip to Denver. Used the above mentioned method of intersecting pocking queries. However, i used a different method.

next i follow the route im taking on the mapsend, when i see a cache i want i unflag it in gsak

Hi Steve, that's the same way RM does it! I found the link back to his original step-by-step post on how to do it that way!

Thanks Senior Sleuths, QDman and Pqcachers! :D Jess and I were talking about this yesterday. We agreed that the big milestones are 100, 500, 1000, 2000, etc. But it still is cool when you cross over any increment of 100 finds! It marks a lot of fun and good memories! This is why we do it! :) I just need another trip to Palm Springs or somewhere like that to vault me into 4 digit land! I still can't fathom that! When I started caching I was amazed that some cachers had 300 or 400 finds!!! Or course the density of caches was far less then than it is now but still 400! That was amzing to me! What must these new cachers think when they see cachers with 2000+ finds? :) But it's like eating an elephant...you just gotta do it one bite at a time! So far I think I have one of the legs eaten. B) I did Dan-oh's new Ding Dong cache yesterday. I better not say which part of the elephant that was! :) Just kidding Dan-oh! It was very fun to do like all your other caches! :)

QUOTE (The Dillon Gang @ Aug 13 2005, 07:51 PM)

anyone remember who was making geocaching cards kinda like yrium's pals but they were of nature surrounding the cache placements? 

Radical Geezer. I just saw one of his cards the other day for Cedar Creek Falls. Can't remember which cache it was...

D!

It was for Cedar Creek Falls, of course. :) We found it in a cache about the time of the fire and have kept it. We had one for Keubz (sic), too, but passed that one on, after we found that cache.

Congratulations, TrailGators!! :):)

Edited by HelBob Duo

Hey folks! Anyone out there in SD an old car buff? Like, can you ID a car make and model just at a glance, or know anyone who can? There's an interesting "Virtual" out here in NJ whereby you go into the forest to find the rusted out remains of a car and have to ID it. I've got some photos that I took, but I'm not a car guy, so I'm sending out the bat-signal on this one. My best guess is that it's a 50's era sedan or coupe. Possibly a Chevy. But I'm guessing on it.

If you can help let me know and I'll send the photos off.

--TT--

QUOTE (The Dillon Gang @ Aug 14 2005, 04:15 PM)

QUOTE (TrailGators @ Aug 14 2005, 02:15 PM)

Hi Steve, that's the same way RM does it! I found the link back to his original step-by-step post on how to do it that way!

Thanks for the help. I'm glad I asked ahead of time...it's going to take a while any way I look at it!

Hey folks! Anyone out there in SD an old car buff? Like, can you ID a car make and model just at a glance, or know anyone who can? There's an interesting "Virtual" out here in NJ whereby you go into the forest to find the rusted out remains of a car and have to ID it. I've got some photos that I took, but I'm not a car guy, so I'm sending out the bat-signal on this one. My best guess is that it's a 50's era sedan or coupe. Possibly a Chevy. But I'm guessing on it.

--TT--

Send them to me jeff, and I will send them to my dad. He's pretty good at that stuff. He is into restoring old cars.

Hey folks!  Anyone out there in SD an old car buff?  Like, can you ID a car make and model just at a glance, or know anyone who can?  There's an interesting "Virtual" out here in NJ whereby you go into the forest to find the rusted out remains of a car and have to ID it.  I've got some photos that I took, but I'm not a car guy, so I'm sending out the bat-signal on this one.  My best guess is that it's a 50's era sedan or coupe.  Possibly a Chevy.  But I'm guessing on it.

--TT--

I'm much better at 60's era cars but I'll have a go.

Maybe put the pics in your profile gallery? Email works too.

anyone remember who was making geocaching cards kinda like yrium's pals but they were of nature surrounding the cache placements?

It was Rob and Catherine who made the cards up.

Hey TT send me the pics and I'll see what I can come up with its in my teen years if its the 50s and any good so cal teen should know what it was. :rolleyes:

--TT--

Did you get an ID #. They didn't have VINs back then, but the chasis' and engines did. You can go online to decipher some of them oldem #s.

Might as well post some photos here!

OK man, I got to get myself back into gear. I missed the CITO event, and this thread is zooming by at warp 9.

There are about 20 caches in Vista I want to go to. Anybody want to do a mini cache-a-thon up there some afternoon this week? I need someone to drag me out. I have to say, compared to the good old days of two years ago the caches are coming fast and furious. It's nearly impossible to keep up anymore unless you can do this sport full time. I have my hands full just planning to go out an maintain my own caches!

So, when's the next event happening?

Vagabond, it's good to see you on this thread again. Are you still in Riverside County?

OK man, I got to get myself back into gear. I missed the CITO event, and this thread is zooming by at warp 9.

There are about 20 caches in Vista I want to go to. Anybody want to do a mini cache-a-thon up there some afternoon this week? I need someone to drag me out. I have to say, compared to the good old days of two years ago the caches are coming fast and furious. It's nearly impossible to keep up anymore unless you can do this sport full time. I have my hands full just planning to go out an maintain my own caches!

So, when's the next event happening?

Vagabond, it's good to see you on this thread again. Are you still in Riverside County?

I'm out of town all week but could go this Saturday or Sunday. The next event is this Sunday!

Wi nøt trei a høliday in Sweden this yër?

You just had to bring up Sweden! Ever heard any Ole and Lena or Sven and Ole jokes?!! Here's a few:

Sven asked Ole, "Do ya know da difference between a Norvegian and a canoe?" "No, I don't," said Ole. "A canoe will sometimes tip," explained Sven.

Ole is so cheap that after his airplane landed safely he grumbled, "Vell, dere gose five dollars down da drain for dat flight insurance!"

Sven: "Ole, stant in front of my car and tell me if da turn signals are working". Ole: "Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes, No...."

Ole and Lena got married. On their honeymoon trip they were nearing Minneapolis when Ole put his hand on Lena's knee. Giggling, Lena said, "Ole, you can go a little farther now if ya vant to." So Ole drove to Duluth.

And that would be pronounced in the vernacular:

"Duh-LOOT"

--Tucson ThompSEN--

Hmm...I wonder why it's "-SEN", eh?

Is that what the yoots in Jersey call Duluth?! :rolleyes:

I lived up 'der up freezing my you know what off for many years. Heck TT it was the Norwegians that were telling all these jokes! I can't tell the best jokes on this forum.... <_< Anyhow, here's another one clean enough for this forum:

Ole died. So Lena went to the local paper to put a notice in the obituaries. The gentleman at the counter, after offering his condolences, asked Lena what she would like to say about Ole.

Lena replied, "You yust put 'Ole died'."

The gentleman, somewhat perplexed, said, "That's it? Just 'Ole died?' Surely, there must be something more you'd like to say about Ole. If its money you're concerned about, the first five words are free. We must say something more."

So Lena pondered for a few minutes and finally said, "O.K. You put 'Ole died. Boat for sale.' "

Edited by TrailGators

"Duh-LOOT"

--Tucson ThompSEN--

I lived up 'der up freezing my you know what off for many years. Heck TT it was the Norwegians that were telling all these jokes! I can't tell the best jokes on this forum.... <_< Anyhow, here's another one clean enough for this forum:

Ole died. So Lena went to the local paper to put a notice in the obituaries. The gentleman at the counter, after offering his condolences, asked Lena what she would like to say about Ole.

The gentleman, somewhat perplexed, said, "That's it? Just 'Ole died?' Surely, there must be something more you'd like to say about Ole. If its money you're concerned about, the first five words are free. We must say something more."

So Lena pondered for a few minutes and finally said, "O.K. You put 'Ole died. Boat for sale.' "

I spent four years up in Duluth, MN......and I was here for this ! COLDEST TEMP EVER RECORDED for MN

BTW: I'll pass on the Lutefisk but I'll take the pizza at

Sven & Ole's

"Duh-LOOT"

--Tucson ThompSEN--

I spent four years up in Duluth, MN......and I was here for this ! COLDEST TEMP EVER RECORDED for MN

BTW: I'll pass on the Lutefisk but I'll take the pizza at

Sven & Ole's

I'll pass on the Lutefisk

That is the most awful smelling stuff! :rolleyes: Hey, I lived Eau Claire for 7 years! My wife is from a small town 30 miles SW of Eau Claire. My two oldest kids were born there. I'm glad we're not there anymore! Burrrr! <_< But thanks for sharing the interesting cold facts! Those temps are without the wind folks! Subtract another 30-40 degrees with the wind! By the way, Couderay is where Al Capone and the Chicago gangsters used to hang out!

Edited by TrailGators

Sorry to be late on my congrats.....am chasing down some caches between Oregon and San Diego via the 395.

So CONGRATULATIONS AND MAY YOU HIT ANOTHER MILESTONE.

Parsa, this is how you'll feel while your doing Dan-oh's new cache: smashfreakB.gif

(Thanks for the link Chuy! :huh: )

I just did it today. At least I managed to do it all with no lifeline calls... even if it wasn't the FTF.

The first waypoint (believe it or not) took me the longest. I think I found each suceeding one faster than the previous. I didn't know what to expect on #1, and I thought it was some serious camo. <_< It turns out I was dead on for the coordinates. (My new eXplorist 500 is great under the trees unlike my old Garmin.) It just took the right angle to see it. I found #2 in a minute, #3 in just a couple seconds, and once I zeroed out correctly at #4 I found it right away. I sure did some moving around on this one though. The hardest thing for me besides #1 was getting the sheet out of the cache. :rolleyes:

Parsa

Here's a link to a thread RocketMan started in the GPS Units and Software section:

Caches Along A Route Instrucitons

Parsa

So many couples try and try and try and try and then they just give up and adopt -- but it always seems that as soon as they stop trying, along comes a cache of their own!

TTBay

Congrats on your first cache, John&Jess! It was a fun one! Keep 'em coming!

Edited by FlagMan
So many couples try and try and try and try and then they just give up and adopt -- but it always seems that as soon as they stop trying, along comes a cache of their own! 

TTBay

Congrats on your first cache, John&Jess! It was a fun one! Keep 'em coming!

Well, not too long after our ferTTility doctor gave us the The Blueprint...it just sorta happened! :rolleyes:

Thanks Flagman for the kind words <_< Next couple of ones won't take so much gas, promise!

John&Jess

Several cachers are meeting at the cache location for Patriotic Quiz (GCP0QP), and then going out to Vista for a mini cache-a-thon. The weather report says it won't be too awfully hot (78 high). You'll have to solve the simple puzzle first to find the location.

The meet time is 3:30 PM. Bring flowers. :) (Just joking, but it would make good personal camo.)

Participants so far include Parsa, dhsundance, Princess Toadstool, and idiosyncratic.

Apparently this e-mail below has been circulating, someone just forwarded it to me this morning. Gotta know the San Diego area to really get this one

Mattel recently announced the release of Limited-Edition Barbie dolls for the San Diego, California area market:

Carlsbad Barbie - This princess Barbie is only sold at the brand new La Costa Forum. She comes with an assortment of Kate Spade handbags, a Lexus SUV, a long-haired dog named Honey, and a cookie-cutter house. Available with or without tummy tuck and face lift. Workaholic Ken sold only in conjunction with "augmented" version.

Rancho Bernardo Barbie - This modern-day homemaker Barbie is available a with Ford Windstar a minivan and matching gym outfit. She gets lost easily and has no full-time occupation or secondary education. Traffic-jamming cell phone included, headset sold separately.

Oceanside Barbie - This recently paroled tattooed & nose pierced Barbie comes with a 9 mm handgun, a desert/river, ready lifted, Chevy truck with dark tinted windows, and a methlab kit. This model is only available after dark and can only be paid for in cash, preferably in small, untraceable bills. Unless you are a cop, then we don't know what you're talking about

Del Mar Barbie - This yuppie Barbie comes with are her own Starbucks cup, credit card, and country club membership.

Santee Barbie - This pale model comes dressed in shirt, and a Tweety Bird tattoo on her shoulder. She has a six-pack of Coors Light and a Hank Williams, Jr. CD set. She can spit over 5 feet and kick mullet-haired Ken's back side when she is drunk. Purchase her pickup truck separately and get a confederate flag bumper sticker absolutely free.

La Jolla Barbie - This collagen injected, rhinoplastic Barbie wears a leopard-print bikini outfit and drinks cosmopolitans while entertaining friends at the beach house. Percocet prescription available.

Lakeside Barbie - This tobacco-chewing, brassy-haired Barbie has a pair of her own high-heeled sandals with one broken heel from the time she chased Beer-Gut Ken out of Lemon Grove Barbie's house. Her ensemble includes low-rise acid-washed jeans, fake fingernails, and a see-through halter top. Also available with a mobile home.

Leucadia Barbie - This doll is made of actual tofu. She has long, straight, brown hair, archless feet, hairy armpits, no makeup, and Birkenstocks with white socks. She smokes good sinsemilla buds and prefers that you call her "Willow". She does not want or need a Ken doll, but if you purchase two Leucadia Barbie's and the optional Volvo wagon, you get a coupon for a free wheat-grass smoothie at any Whole Food's Market.

National City Barbie - This Barbie now comes with a stroller and an infant doll. Optional accessories include a GED and bus & trolley pass. Gangsta Ken and his 79 Caddy were available, but are now very difficult to find since the addition of the infant.

Poway Barbie - She's perfect in every way. We don't know who Ken is because he's always away working.

Chula Vista Barbie - This Spanish-speaking-only Barbie comes with a 1984 Toyota with expired temporary plates and three baby Barbies in the back seat, but no car seats. The optional Ken doll comes with a pickup truck loaded 10 feet high with mattresses. Green cards are not available for Chula Vista Barbie or Ken.

Hillcrest Barbie/Ken - This versatile doll can be easily converted from Barbie to Ken by simply adding or subtracting the multiple "snap-on" parts. Bonus: free flag with proof of purchase coupon sticker, along with valuable discount coupons to all "F" street bookstores.

Pacific Beach Barbie -This Barbie is always bitching that she can't find a good man in Pacific Beach.