The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

The put in place is at the end of Besmer Street off Rosecrans on Point Loma....

That's Bessemer Street -- I grew up less than a mile away. My mom used to be a member of the Bessemer Street Broadreachers, a group of women who all had windsurfers and used to sail them in "Hurricane Cove" as we called that inlet. They still get together for a goose dinner at my folks house every Xmas.... :lol:

Just got my first nofication from the insta-notify thing they started recently, saying it's been published......but when I go to the cache page, it says it hasn't been approved yet so I can look at the page! That's not how it's supposed to work, Shirley?

I figured out a couple weeks ago that even though you can't see the cache page, you can download the coords. I actually bagged a FTF on one of dhsundance's new Scripps caches before I ever saw the cache page. I just downloaded the coords and went for it. By the time I got back, the cache was active. There must be some sort of limbo state between admin approving a cache and the cache page actually going live.

Duncan's name change got me to thinking about pronunciations of screen names. Some are obvious, some, not so much. If anyone is wondering about mine (and I'm egotistical enough to consider that possibility :(), QDman is pronounced with the emphasis on the 'D'. Emphasis on the 'Q' makes it sound like "Cutieman" which is not the effect I was going for. Emphasis on the 'man' is just silly.

Duncan's name change got me to thinking about pronunciations of screen names. Some are obvious, some, not so much. If anyone is wondering about mine (and I'm egotistical enough to consider that possibility :(), QDman is pronounced with the emphasis on the 'D'. Emphasis on the 'Q' makes it sound like "Cutieman" which is not the effect I was going for. Emphasis on the 'man' is just silly.

What a caching pair we'd make: Douche-we and Cutieman. Nice.

D!

I kinda liked cutieman! :laughing: To each his own, tho. It's your name!

So it's cue da Man? :(

So you can get notified of only one type of cache? (Traditional, multi, etc)

Flagman, how can you download the coords if you don't know they exist? If they aren't published yet?

Sounds like Oct is going to be a busy month! Oct 1 is the end of Oktoberfest. At least in Germany. Mmmmm! That brings back memories.... :laughing:

I kinda liked cutieman! :laughing: To each his own, tho. It's your name!

So it's cue da Man? :(

So you can get notified of only one type of cache? (Traditional, multi, etc)

Flagman, how can you download the coords if you don't know they exist? If they aren't published yet?

Sounds like Oct is going to be a busy month! Oct 1 is the end of Oktoberfest. At least in Germany. Mmmmm! That brings back memories.... :laughing:

You can make all the notifications you want (trad, multi, puzzle, etc..), but they should have an option for all types. No?

D!

Duncan's name change got me to thinking about pronunciations of screen names. Some are obvious, some, not so much. If anyone is wondering about mine (and I'm egotistical enough to consider that possibility  :(), QDman is pronounced with the emphasis on the 'D'. Emphasis on the 'Q' makes it sound like "Cutieman" which is not the effect I was going for. Emphasis on the 'man' is just silly.

D!

I have heard Kawikaturn referred to as Kevorkian, so you can add that to your list :laughing:

I kinda liked cutieman!  :( To each his own, tho.  It's your name!

So it's cue da Man?  :(

So you can get notified of only one type of cache?  (Traditional, multi, etc)

Flagman, how can you download the coords if you don't know they exist?  If they aren't published yet?

Sounds like Oct is going to be a busy month!  Oct 1 is the end of Oktoberfest.  At least in Germany.  Mmmmm!  That brings back memories.... :laughing:

It's more like cueDEEman. And if you can say it with a mischievous glint in your eye, so much the better. :laughing:

Duncan's name change got me to thinking about pronunciations of screen names. Some are obvious, some, not so much. If anyone is wondering about mine (and I'm egotistical enough to consider that possibility  :(), QDman is pronounced with the emphasis on the 'D'. Emphasis on the 'Q' makes it sound like "Cutieman" which is not the effect I was going for. Emphasis on the 'man' is just silly.

D!

We could get our own comic book! Sweeet!

Flagman, how can you download the coords if you don't know they exist? If they aren't published yet?...

The whole point was that the listing DOES show up, but only as NOT YET APPROVED. But if you bring up the search page (like nearest to search), the name shows up and you can click on the box and download to a gpx file. That's how I got the coords. Still couldn't see the whole listing, but I was able to download the coords....

Nice!...but no.

No logs from mark71mark since 03' and he still holds a Moun10Bike Coin he claimed back in '02.

Yeah...good luck getting that MB coin out of Mark71mark. I emailed him directly about 10 months ago asking for him to release it since he was no longer an active cacher.

Never heard a peep out of him. Either that e-mail address he never checks, or he just didn't want to give it back. Oh well.

I've logged three of Moun10Bike's coins and all have been because others let me hold them for a second before giving them back.

Your best bet in getting a Moun10Bike coin locally in SD is to bribe K-NIC to bring the one he has to an event and log it there.

Several beers ought to do the trick....

9dcaf323-7e3a-49c2-8c19-999b03373ba7.jpg

and then you can hold the preciousss...........

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen

Hello Friends

I figured it was about time I let everyone know that I am making the big move to Colorado. I will be back in San Diego tomorrow for a few days, but on Monday we drive out to Denver to officially make the move. I will have to fly back to San Diego at some point to wrap up the sale of our house, but that will just be for a few days.

San Diego cachers are definitely a great bunch of folks and I have made many good friends through this fun activity. There have been too many good times to count. I wish everyone the best and make sure you get in touch with me if you make it out to Colorado. They have caches here too.

Sincerely,

Dave Rocket Man Kuhns

igeocache@gmail.com

Hello Friends

I figured it was about time I let everyone know that I am making the big move to Colorado.  I will be back in San Diego tomorrow for a few days, but on Monday we drive out to Denver to officially make the move.  I will have to fly back to San Diego at some point to wrap up the sale of our house, but that will just be for a few days.

San Diego cachers are definitely a great bunch of folks and I have made many good friends through this fun activity.  There have been too many good times to count.  I wish everyone the best and make sure you get in touch with me if you make it out to Colorado.  They have caches here too.

Sincerely,

Dave Rocket Man Kuhns

igeocache@gmail.com

Dave, may you have the best of luck in Denver and few DNFs! ;)

Duncan!

Edited by Duncan!
Hello Friends

I figured it was about time I let everyone know that I am making the big move to Colorado. I will be back in San Diego tomorrow for a few days, but on Monday we drive out to Denver to officially make the move. I will have to fly back to San Diego at some point to wrap up the sale of our house, but that will just be for a few days.

San Diego cachers are definitely a great bunch of folks and I have made many good friends through this fun activity. There have been too many good times to count. I wish everyone the best and make sure you get in touch with me if you make it out to Colorado. They have caches here too.

Sincerely,

Dave Rocket Man Kuhns

igeocache@gmail.com

c781b05f-cfcc-4c21-81c6-f5fad10af52b.jpg

Gone but not forgotten.

Thank you for the friendship and entertainment you added to the San Diego Geocaching community. You have been a good friend to all. You and TT are in a class all by yourself.

I look forward to a continued online friendship and to the many great stories and photos we expect to receive from Colorado.

Whenever you feel a devious need to 'Shop a Colorado photo, don't forget, I'm your man.

Your pal,

Harmon

Hello Friends

Sincerely,

Dave Rocket Man Kuhns

igeocache@gmail.com

Hey, it can't be more than a ten minute trip from Colorado to San Diego by rocket, right! Just hitch a ride every so often on one of those cool boosters you make, and we'll be sure to look you up whenever we get a chance to go through Denver. Thanks for all the fun caches, and caching adventures. We'll miss you around these environs.... Don't we at least get something in exchange -- we got (or were forced to take) Chan Ho Park for Nevin. For a top quality cacher with over 1000 finds and his own trading card, we should at least get a first round pick.... ;)

For the record, it is cah-we-cah-turn. I know it is tough for all the non-hawaiians (including me!). Sorry we are going to miss the pizza party on 8/21, but if anyone wants a TB to go to NY, I would be happy to take a suitcase full. Who ended up with that big femur bone TB from the last event? Drop off any TB headed east in any of my Carlsbad caches by 8/8 and I will put some miles on them.

Hello Friends

Sincerely,

Dave Rocket Man Kuhns

igeocache@gmail.com

Hi Dave...

Good luck to you and your family in the Mile High City.

Thanks answering questions about geocaching, and going paperless. You have been a great help getting us started.

Take care...

Nick & Sharon

TeamGrnZoom

Hello Friends

I figured it was about time I let everyone know that I am making the big move to Colorado.  I will be back in San Diego tomorrow for a few days, but on Monday we drive out to Denver to officially make the move.  I will have to fly back to San Diego at some point to wrap up the sale of our house, but that will just be for a few days.

San Diego cachers are definitely a great bunch of folks and I have made many good friends through this fun activity.  There have been too many good times to count.  I wish everyone the best and make sure you get in touch with me if you make it out to Colorado.  They have caches here too.

Sincerely,

Dave Rocket Man Kuhns

igeocache@gmail.com

She packed my bags last night pre-flight

Zero hour nine a.m.

And I'm gonna be high as a mile by then

I'll miss San Diego so much I miss my caching buddies

It's lonely out in space

On such a timeless flight

And I think it's gonna be a long long time

Till touch down brings me round again to find

I'm not the man they think I am

Oh no no no I'm the Rocket Man

Caching in the Rockies in my new home

But Denver ain't the kind of place to cache in the winter

In fact someday's it's cold as hell

And all the caches are covered with snow

And all this science I understand

It's just my job five days a week

The Rocket Man, the Rocket Man

And I hope it's not gonna be a long long time... ;)

Edited by TrailGators
Hello Friends

Sincerely,

Dave Rocket Man Kuhns

igeocache@gmail.com

You will be missed by many of us out here! Thanks for all your great cache hides! Our loss, Denver's gain.

Take care, Be Well, and God Bless

Hello Friends

Sincerely,

Dave Rocket Man Kuhns

igeocache@gmail.com

Dave,

Thanks for all of your help/time.

;);):laughing::laughing:;);):rolleyes:

San Diego Caching Milestones

I was thinking the other day about the upcoming event cache in Truckhaven. I was sure hoping that cachers like GeoJim and Slabyfam could be contacted and invited to atend. They sure were a lot of fun and although not active anymore they can sure add some offroading expertise to the weekend.

So I went on and looked at their profiles to see when their last visit to GC was. And I read that GeoJim completed the Sea to Sea Trail. Now I'm sure that TT would've completed it if some of the caches hadn't burned up.

How many other people completed all the Sea to Sea? or all of TT's puzzle caches?

I think that it is like a prerequisite to San Diego Caching Hall of Fame status. Kind of like hitting 500 homers and 3000 hits- gets you instant respect. Of course they will have to be checked for Streoid use.

Sorry about the rambling- but I was just wondering.

Dave

Well, Dave, we aren't going to say goodbye, we hate goodbyes......

Instead, a huge thank you for all that you have contributed to our geocaching community, I'm sure that everyone doesn't realize just how much you really did give back. We know that you will keep in touch thru the forums and won't seem so far away. I hope Denver appreciates you as much as we all do!!

Sooo, SEE YA IN MOAB IN TWO MONTHS!!!!! YAHOO!

The Splashes ;):laughing::laughing:

Hello Friends

Sincerely,

Dave Rocket Man Kuhns

igeocache@gmail.com

It ain't goodbye...you are that far from home. we will miss you here but hope you visit. Who's going to run the Paperless caching event? Thanks for your contributions to caching here in san diego. because of you many people are now "paperless" Hope you move goes well.

PS: i heading to denver on the 16th of this month.....ready to cache?????

Thanks again to all those who attended the Cedar Creek Falls CITO Event out in Ramona this weekend. An article just came out in the Ramona Home Journal about geocaching and it features some local cachers, Toby's Gang. Yrium's Cards even got a little plug, my son is pictured holding a TMS #13 Parsa. You can see the article here Geocaching Story, it's a jpg in not so good quality. I have a pdf file I can e-mail you if you want to request it, otherwise the August edition should be coming online at the Ramona Home Journal website.

Now online at: http://www.ramonajournal.com/news/2005/080...munity/024.html

Hello Friends

Sincerely,

Dave Rocket Man Kuhns

igeocache@gmail.com

I guess you can update your profile to read, "I used to commute to Denver during the week and was back in San Diego on the weekends, but now I ditched all those So Cal cachers and live permanently in Denver." ;)

By the way, I hope you don't use that. Have fun caching in Denver.

Hello Friends

Sincerely,

Dave Rocket Man Kuhns

igeocache@gmail.com

Good luck in Colorado.

bfa8bb44-fe18-4274-a496-24be6d3b1d59.jpg

This just in.

What I want to know is did $kimmer pay for the ice cream with the skimmed $$$?

Or was it another one of those mooching of Splashette kind of days? ;)

$kimmer...you'd have a field day out here in Joisey. There seem to be Where's George $1 bills in most every cache I've found so far.

And a big sorry to see you go to Dave! Enjoy Colorado. My grandma still lives in Lakewood, so I'm there from time to time. Perhaps our paths will cross again.

--TT--

How many other people completed all the Sea to Sea? or all of TT's puzzle caches?

Well, I guess I should step forward and take credit for both accomplishments. I think I was the last to complete the C2C, since I completed it on 10/25, the day before the Cedar fire....

I'm sure Tim, Jim & Co. would love to join the crew in October. I do keep in touch with Jim on an occasional basis, so I will make sure he gets invited.

I was thinking the other day about the upcoming event cache in Truckhaven. I was sure hoping that cachers like GeoJim and Slabyfam could be contacted and invited to atend. They sure were a lot of fun and although not active anymore they can sure add some offroading expertise to the weekend....

Here's a message I got back from Tim:

Hey Tom,

Sounds like fun however you guys pick the only weekend that I cant make it. I have a special once a year traning seminar that weekend for Mercedes Benz! If my sceduel changes I'll be there otherwise have fun.

Shilona should be done with all her schooling in about

1 year. I hope to get back in the game soon.

Tell everyone we said Hi! keep in touch Tim

This just in.

What I want to know is did $kimmer pay for the ice cream with the skimmed $$$?

Or was it another one of those mooching of Splashette kind of days? :rolleyes:

$kimmer...you'd have a field day out here in Joisey. There seem to be Where's George $1 bills in most every cache I've found so far.

And a big sorry to see you go to Dave! Enjoy Colorado. My grandma still lives in Lakewood, so I'm there from time to time. Perhaps our paths will cross again.

--TT--

Actually, we both mooched off of Harmon........

Isn't that what a 'Geogolo' is for????

Splashette

I think that it is like a prerequisite to San Diego Caching Hall of Fame status. Kind of like hitting 500 homers and 3000 hits- gets you instant respect. Of course they will have to be checked for Steroid use.

I've solved all of TT's puzzles except Punkte & Spuren, and found them all except P&S, Somewhere in SD and Euclid's whatever it was. Got a couple of FTFs in there too <_<

Conversely, I don't think I've found *any* of the Sea to Sea caches :rolleyes::blink:

I think that it is like a prerequisite to San Diego Caching Hall of Fame status. Kind of like hitting 500 homers and 3000 hits- gets you instant respect. Of course they will have to be checked for Steroid use.

I've solved all of TT's puzzles except Punkte & Spuren, and found them all except P&S, Somewhere in SD and Euclid's whatever it was. Got a couple of FTFs in there too <_<

Conversely, I don't think I've found *any* of the Sea to Sea caches :rolleyes::lol:

I guess I should make a commerative patch or t-shirt or button or something for those who complete all of my caches out there. But even some of my regular caches can be a challenge.

So it while it IS fair to state that I think FlagMan is the only one to find all of my puzzles, no one has found ALL of my caches.

Hear that Tom. Get yer butt to the border!

(no commemerative shirt for you yet)

:blink:

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen
So it while it IS fair to state that I think FlagMan is the only one to find all of my puzzles, no one has found ALL of my caches.

Hear that Tom. Get yer butt to the border!...

But there was that moment in time right before or after you left when None More Southwesterly was inactive that I HAD done all your caches!

Hear that Tom.  Get yer butt to the border!...

But there was that moment in time right before or after you left when None More Southwesterly was inactive that I HAD done all your caches!

Live in the Now!!!!

This just in.

What I want to know is did $kimmer pay for the ice cream with the skimmed $$$? Or was it another one of those mooching of Splashette kind of days? :rolleyes:

--TT--

Actually, we both mooched off of Harmon........

Isn't that what a 'Geogolo' is for????

Splashette

Rats! I thought the Geogolo deal worked the other way around. Too late now, I've been assimilated.

Edited by SD Rowdies

:rolleyes: What is a geogolo anyway? I know what a gigolo is - nah.

Someone looking goes high and Harmon.... never mind.

Besides, Harmon apparently was the only one tall enough (as was I) to reach the cache at the Miramar Lake Overview yesterday (missed em by a couple of hours).

Bye Rocketman! <_<

nscaler

Well, I didn't see any other Geocachers at the Bessemer (sorry FlagMan) Street put in place last night, except for Princess Toadstool who met me there with her brand new inflatable kayak.

PTsNewBoat_641.jpg

The B.B. King concert was fantastic and we had lots of fun. This is what it looks like from the water when the tide is fairly high.

Humphreys_645.jpg

The sound was great last night. We could hear B.B.'s jokes and stories, as well as the music, very well. :rolleyes:

I hope some other Geocachers will join me another time.

Live in the Now!!!!

OK, the deed is done..... FlagMan's Log For None More Southwesterly

What's my prize? I was told there would be a big prize -- a really big prize....

Edited by FlagMan

Live in the Now!!!!

OK, the deed is done..... FlagMan's Log For None More Southwesterly

What's my prize? I was told there would be a big prize -- a really big prize....

I think your prize was the fact you didn't have to hoof it for this cache.

The caching force was with you.

Congratulations on nailing all the TT's and the C2C's. You're the man!

How many other people completed all the Sea to Sea?

Sorry about the rambling- but I was just wondering.

Dave

Ruscal was FTF for all 26 Sea to Sea Caches. A little while later, "Swiss Hunter" and Team Gecko also completed the series on 13 July 2003 (independently - I never met SH then or since; just saw his logs in the field and online). Kristin mailed out nice little "official" certificates of completion.

The most physically challenging were #1 followed by #2. Since the El Cajon Mountain Open Space remains closed, no one really knows if #1 survived the fire. It might have because it had some protection from large boulders.

-GD