The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

People keep asking the guy who writes GSAK to put in a column for it, but it hasn't happened yet. You can always add a note to the waypoint in your database, and make a filter to find it. Or you could make a separate database in CacheMate, for that matter. Similarly gc.com has been asked to put FTF in as a stat a number of times, but it would be harder to regulate, since the website itself can't do any automatic verification.

(P.S. I have a measly 9)

GC would only have to include a time requirement for logging an entry so that the FTF would be the first log. Then a separate program to determine who has the first entry. The GC brass (and many cachers as well) probably don't see FTFs as that big a deal. We need some new brass in there!

Dave, I'll start counting your FTFs when there no more local caches to be found :( .

People keep asking the guy who writes GSAK to put in a column for it, but it hasn't happened yet. You can always add a note to the waypoint in your database, and make a filter to find it. Or you could make a separate database in CacheMate, for that matter. Similarly gc.com has been asked to put FTF in as a stat a number of times, but it would be harder to regulate, since the website itself can't do any automatic verification.

(P.S. I have a measly 9)

GC would only have to include a time requirement for logging an entry so that the FTF would be the first log. Then a separate program to determine who has the first entry. The GC brass (and many cachers as well) probably don't see FTFs as that big a deal. We need some new brass in there!

Dave, I'll start counting your FTFs when there no more local caches to be found :( .

I appreciate the work you FTFers do for us slow pokes. You are the ones that work out all the bugs with each new cache. For example, if the coordinates are off by ~100 feet, it's you guys that search for 60 minutes without help from previous logs to determine the actual coordinates. So by the time us slow pokes get there to find it, we don't have to go through the same torture that you did. You guys deserve some acknowledgement for FTFs and GC should figure out some way to do it!

It's only 'cause we both keep track of our FTFs that you are able to make a comparison.  I'm curious to see how many FTFs Flagman, Team Gecko, TRViolin, Duscwé!, Splashes, Kawikaturn, and other veteran cachers have.....

At last count, I think I had 75,259 FTF's, which is surprising even to me since I have considerably fewer than 2,000 total finds. :( Must be HAL messing with me again..... :( I guess if I could actually count, I might actually keep track... :(

Edited by FlagMan

Out in Arizona a Geocacher has created their own site to monitor the active caches in the state :

Deepsouthwest Geocaching Project

Basically, it's another way to look at the data - primarily by assigning challenge points to a cache based on the number of finds and the age of the cache. He also has a bunch of rating categories for Total Finds, Total Puzzle Cache Finds, etc.

I include it here since one of his rating categories is FTFs. Even the cache creator acknowledges that there's no way to automate true FTF standings, since Groundspeak doesn't care (why should they?) and the only other alternative is to do it manually since many times the first find log to the page is not the First Finder at all.

His compromise for his ratings is to divide the First Find point equally among all people that find the cache the first day. It's not a perfect solution, but it's the best automated solution I've seen.

--Dave, The Cow Spots

Only one place to buy a GPS ...go to REI you will pay a bit more but you have an unconditional lifetime warranty. I have been caching for just over a month and I am on my second GPS. Say a new model comes out...take it back and get the new one. Say you want to upgrade...take it back. Say your wife says "no more caching" take it back...yes if you don’t want it any longer you get your money back. Say two months after you purchased it...the company offers a rebate...take it back and submit your new receipt. Say a rock falls on it...take the parts back and get a new one. The only thing that is not covered is loss/theft...you must at least have the parts/unit (lol I said “unit”) to exchange. REI Return Policy

I don't know about you but I am sure I will kill one or two a year.

Dave

:(

I would like to re-post this.....Due to some recent conversations with other cachers.

This applies to anything REI sells....including software. Yes, you will spend more to purchase it from REI but if a software upgrade comes out, you can return the old and get the new (a REI employee actually recommended this to me!!!). If you purchase it from anywhere else, you have to pay for the upgrade.

:(

For those interested... I will post a clue for LXG tonight, around 8 PM.

D!

Oh, great! Assuming the clue massages the grey matter in just the right way, we will be dashing to the Pacific Ocean for one clue, then out to the top of Palomar Mountain for the final, with who knows how many others in between. Should be coming face-to-face with the mountain lions and other nocturnal creatures at about 2 a.m.! All this after a full day of work then a few hours of moving....

(Yep, we are actually in the process of moving now)

Count me IN!

(Don't tell Kathy, though...)

Edited by FlagMan
Can anyone tell me what  "baps" are?  :lol:

From the slang dictionary at Urban Dictionary.com

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=baps :)

Leave it to Passing Wind to have the inside scoop on the bathroom humor....

Well, I can't see "buns" being any better, if we're in schoolboy giggling mode :lol:

I think I might bring some nice melons to the picnic! :lol:

I think I might bring sausage and a taco. :laughing: ...

or maybe a Pu Pu platter.

Can someone place a cache (or better yet, a power cache trail) this weekend in the Rancho Bernardo neighborhood that's about 2-3 miles RT so Mrs Sleuth and I have a cache we can do on Monday?

I KNEW I could count on you guys! :blink:

;);):D

Carol

P.S. There's a pineapple upside-down cake in it for you :D

Edited by pqcachers

IT'S COMING!!!!!!!!!!!! :D;):D:blink:

Get your calendar out and mark these dates:

OCT. 29 & 30.

The Third Annual Campout, Chili Cookoff, Poker Run, & Geo cache bash is in the planning stages. The same awesome crew is assembled and getting ready !!!

We had sooooo much fun last year, that a third annual was a no-brainer.

The only change will be the location, which will be in the Truckhaven area off of

S-22 on a mesa overlooking the Salton Sea and the Truckhaven hills.

So, dust off those chili recipies, and be prepared for fun!

More details later, the cache page will probably come out in Sept. sometime.

Contact us with any questions~~

The Splashes

Can someone place a cache (or better yet, a power cache trail)  this weekend in the Rancho Bernardo neighborhood that's about 2-3 miles RT so Mrs Sleuth and I have a cache we can do on Monday?

I KNEW I could count on you guys!  :blink:

;)  ;)  :D

Carol

P.S. There's a pineapple upside-down cake in it for you  :D

73c820e8-9347-4544-aebe-560375a9eba2.jpg

Dang, my favorite Pqtreat, and wouldn't you just know that I'm tied down painting the laundry room. Yeah, and Sandy expects me to get it done too. It's not nice to fool an ex-nun. Not nice my foot ... fact is that it could be fatal.

Hint: Don't mess with a nun, ex or otherwise.

If only I'd known when I first met Sandy. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa ... memento mori y'all.

Edited by SD Rowdies
OCT. 29 & 30.

The Third Annual Campout, Chili Cookoff, Poker Run, & Geo cache bash

Sweet!! Time to dust off the RV :D

Chili + Passing Wind = Flatulence

How large is the camping area? No wait, how far apart are the campsites and which way will the Wind be Passing?

I'd like to see a competition between PW and Fkrexcal! I don't know PW very well, but my money right now is on FK! There's a reason that "Rex" is in his caching name! :D I'm just happy to have survived that storm, onslaught or whatever you want to call it! :D

Edited by TrailGators
OCT. 29 & 30.

How large is the camping area? No wait, how far apart are the campsites and which way will the Wind be Passing?

I'd like to see a competition between PW and Fkrexcal! I don't know PW very well, but my money right now is on FK! There's a reason that "Rex" is in his caching name! :D I'm just happy to have survived that storm, onslaught or whatever you want to call it! :D

Thanks for the warning. The event should be a big blowout.

Edited by SD Rowdies
IT'S COMING!!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D

Get your calendar out and mark these dates:

OCT. 29 & 30.

The Third Annual Campout, Chili Cookoff, Poker Run, & Geo cache bash is in the planning stages. The same awesome crew is assembled and getting ready !!!

We had sooooo much fun last year, that a third annual was a no-brainer.

The only change will be the location, which will be in the Truckhaven area off of

S-22 on a mesa overlooking the Salton Sea and the Truckhaven hills.

So, dust off those chili recipies, and be prepared for fun!

More details later, the cache page will probably come out in Sept. sometime.

Contact us with any questions~~

The Splashes

This is great!!! I am looking forward to meeting some of you tomorrow morning as I see your names everywhere!!! And then camping in Oct.....the greatest.

OCT. 29 & 30.

Thanks for the warning. The event should be a big blowout.

Hey, it's gonna be a gas!

D!

OCT. 29 & 30.

Sweet!! Time to dust off the RV :blink:

I'd like to see a competition between PW and Fkrexcal! I don't know PW very well, but my money right now is on FK! There's a reason that "Rex" is in his caching name! ;) I'm just happy to have survived that storm, onslaught or whatever you want to call it! :P

Thanks for the warning. The event should be a huge blowout.

Hey, it's gonna be a gas!

D!

It's that dang byrum stuff from Dream Catcher, that's what it is.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Hey, anyone know what a Project APE cache is?  I searched 5000 miles from home coords and couldn't find one.  I guess I'm either too dumb or too lazy to figure this out on my own....  :blink:

Project APE caches were released around the world in conjunction with the relese of The Planent of the Apes movie. They were all huge containers that originally had movie props in them. If you look at my bookmarks....you will find all of the caches. Most have been archieved...some have been replaced and no longer have the "APE" logo and some are going strong...receving multiple hits a day.

GoBolt's APE Bookmarks

Edited by GoBolt

Is anyone planning on doing Campswag by "Rock" et Man in the near future? Maybe one of you Ramona cachers? The reason I ask is that there is a TB in this cache called Off-Road Racer. Anyhow, the owner of this TB, PC-Romeo, emailed me because his bug is in a travel bug contest called the Czech Run 2005. So it needs to be taken out of this cache and placed in a cache that is visited more than once every two months! So if anyone can pick this up this guy would greatly appreciate it! I would also appreciate it because it would also save me a trip out there to get it!

I've never posted here before, but since there was a CITO event, I thought it would be good to upload some pictures. You can Visit My Log to see some comentary on each. Enjoy!

Edit: My appologies to everyone with dialup. Due to the fact that 8 large images could take quite a while to load, I'll just let you Visit My Log to enjoy them.

Edited by Wiz Creations
Is anyone planning on doing Campswag by "Rock" et Man in the near future? Maybe one of you Ramona cachers? The reason I ask is that there is a TB in this cache called Off-Road Racer. Anyhow, the owner of this TB, PC-Romeo, emailed me because his bug is in a travel bug contest called the Czech Run 2005. So it needs to be taken out of this cache and placed in a cache that is visited more than once every two months! So if anyone can pick this up this guy would greatly appreciate it! I would also appreciate it because it would also save me a trip out there to get it!

I'll try to nab it tomorrow.....or sometime after work this week. :blink:

I'll try to nab it tomorrow.....or sometime after work this week. :blink:

Thanks! I'm sure that PC-Romeo will be pleased! Oh yeah, can you drop it off in another state? ;) It has to make it to 4 more states! Good choice on the Stone Brew by the way! The TB race sounds like fun! We should try something like that!

Interesting stat of the day:

In the two weeks since I left SD, there have been 46 new caches placed within a 30 mile radius of my old home.

By comparison, in the same amount of time, there have been placed, in a 30 mile radius of my place in NJ, a grand total of......

4 caches.

Chuy....congrats, your FTF numbers will soon pass mine up! Consider the gauntlet passed.

--TT--

Was perusing the SD list after a couple months not watching it. Man, you just don't know what it's like to be in such a cache rich area until... well. You're not.

There are 5 caches inside the 5 hour round-trip drive from me that weren't placed by me. There are 6 others that I've placed, only one of which has been found since I placed it. (by an American on a week-long trip to the base I am stationed at)

The closest FTF available to me is 86mi as the crow flies, but is two days of driving to get there and back.

Conversely: Since I moved to Japan in early February, within 10 miles of my previous residence in San Diego, there are 207 new caches.

Bums... I'm just trying to get to 150 ( was at 137 when I left six months ago ) and ya'll are sweating FTF counters.

</rant> :blink:

VW

Pub Quiz 3

Pub Quiz tomorow (31 July 2005)...same place same time.

In case the above link has not been approved the info is as follows...

Come out and wish Tigger's Mango and GoBolt...bon voyage!...and get lit in the process. Pub Quiz at the Shakespeare Pub & Grille, 3701 India Street, San Diego 92103.

The Shakespeare holds a general knowledge pub quiz on the last Sunday of each month, and it's a very popular event. Usually there are no seats/tables left by the time the quiz starts at 7pm, so we should try to be there by 6pm. Parking can be tricky, so carpooling is advised if possible. There's probably not going to be lots of room for us, so be prepared to stand/perch/levitate! Hopefully we'll have a nice big turnout so we can pit a few teams against each other, as well as the rest of the pub. If not, we'll just have some beers and enjoy ourselves!

There's actually a project APE cache out in Maryland outside Gaithersburg, MD. Cow Spots is coming to visit me in NJ in September and we were thinking of taking a run at it. Nice to get all the logos I can.

:laughing:

--TT--

I just discovered that I've been within 30 minutes of that APE cache *twice* in the last 6 weeks while visiting Maryland. D'oh! No future trips on the horizon to Maryland either...

-Tony

Pub Quiz 3

Pub Quiz tomorow (31 July 2005)...same place same time.

In case the above link has not been approved the info is as follows...

Come out and wish Tigger's Mango and GoBolt...bon voyage!...and get lit in the process. Pub Quiz at the Shakespeare Pub & Grille, 3701 India Street, San Diego 92103.

The Shakespeare holds a general knowledge pub quiz on the last Sunday of each month, and it's a very popular event. Usually there are no seats/tables left by the time the quiz starts at 7pm, so we should try to be there by 6pm. Parking can be tricky, so carpooling is advised if possible. There's probably not going to be lots of room for us, so be prepared to stand/perch/levitate! Hopefully we'll have a nice big turnout so we can pit a few teams against each other, as well as the rest of the pub. If not, we'll just have some beers and enjoy ourselves!

Sorry event caches must be posted 2 weeks prior to the event.

So you can not log this one...but you can still come out and have fun.

John, Jess, Toby, Sumrall and myself will be there!

The cords are N 32° 44.558 W 117° 10.824

:unsure: A bunch of milestones were set at the CITO event... :unsure:

:rolleyes::):D:laughing::):D

ZATYKO 600

DR. BOGGIS 400

JOHN & JESS 400

TIGGER'S MANGO :D 200 :D

BRAVO ZULU!

:blink::huh::D:D:huh::unsure::anicute:

WooooHooooo! Congrats y'all! I'm really sorry I couldn't make it to the CITO event. Friday was our first night in the new house, and we were still hauling loads over from the rental well into the afternoon on Saturday. I've been quite busy with getting the wiring all figured out for tv's, computers, etc. and we have a gazillion boxes to unpack. BUT WE ARE FINALLY BACK!! And its only been 21-months! I think Max was the most excited of all of us. He had been moping around all week wondering what all the packing was about -- I think he was afraid of being left behind -- but when we brought him over to the new place, I think he almost did a cartwheel! One very happy pup! It's now Sunday morning, and I'm going to try and sneak away for a few for the first time since running research duties for the LXG. See y'all out there!

WooooHooooo! Congrats y'all! I'm really sorry I couldn't make it to the CITO event. Friday was our first night in the new house, and we were still hauling loads over from the rental well into the afternoon on Saturday. I've been quite busy with getting the wiring all figured out for tv's, computers, etc. and we have a gazillion boxes to unpack. BUT WE ARE FINALLY BACK!! And its only been 21-months! I think Max was the most excited of all of us. He had been moping around all week wondering what all the packing was about -- I think he was afraid of being left behind -- but when we brought him over to the new place, I think he almost did a cartwheel! One very happy pup! It's now Sunday morning, and I'm going to try and sneak away for a few for the first time since running research duties for the LXG. See y'all out there!

I am glad to hear you are back Tom. I can't believe that it's been 21 months. I feel your pain on having to move. I will be doing the same soon. Dave