The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Wow, I've just found the best download/extension for Firefox!

Puzzle geeks:

Contact me privately for a wicked cool tool extenstion for Firefox that I've got a link to.

Don't want to spoil the fun for every geek out there.

--TT--

Just give credit to ShadowAce and The Cow Spots for FINDING that Firefox extension, Jeff.

Edited by The Cow Spots

Credit given.

My Bad.

Listening to the Red Sox v. Yankees game right now. Man...you should hear the radio guys bemoaning the recent Padres trade with the Yanks.

Check out the line from these ex-Pads from tonight's game:

IP H R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA

T Redding 1.0 4 6 6 4 2 0 41-16 54.00

D May 2.2 6 6 6 3 0 1 69-40 16.71

Quantrill's gotta be able to do better than that. Heck, I bet Donnie Moore could throw better than those two right now.

:rolleyes:

--TT--

Edited by TucsonThompsen
Credit given. 

My Bad.

Listening to the Red Sox v. Yankees game right now.  Man...you should hear the radio guys bemoaning the recent Padres trade with the Yanks.

Check out the line from these ex-Pads from tonight's game:

IP  H  R ER BB SO HR PC-ST ERA

T Redding 1.0  4  6  6  4  2  0  41-16 54.00

D May      2.2 6  6  6  3    0  1  69-40 16.71

Quantrill's gotta be able to do better than that.  Heck, I bet Donnie Moore could throw better than those two right now.

:P

--TT--

I can't believe the Yankees did that trade either!

The Pads got rid of two mediocre pitches in that deal!

The best part is that the Pads could end up with a better record than the Yankees this year on <1/3 of the Yankees $208M payroll!

My bet is that its St. Louis vs. Boston in the Series.

I had the pleasure to be caching with Duscwé! today in Temecula when he made his 2000th find. Way to go D!

Then a few hours later Splashette returned my call on a lifeline request and admits, under hard questioning, that she and Splashman made their 3000th find today, also in Temecula.

Congrats to all!

I had the pleasure to be caching with Duscwé!  today in Temecula when he made his 2000th find.  Way to go D!

Then a few hours later Splashette returned my call on a lifeline request and admits, under hard questioning, that she and Splashman made their 3000th find today, also in Temecula.

Congrats to all!

Wow!

Congrats Duscwé! on 2 :o;):P !

Congrats Splashes on 3 :P:lol::cry: !

Anybody that can launch a pumpkin over 4000 feet is OK in my book!  Back in Roscoe we used to shoot taters with this PVC contraption that looked like a bazooka gun. We never measured how far they went, but they disappeared from our sight. Anyhow, TT has something to look forward to! :P

Edit: I seem to remember a movie where they were launching cows with a catapult......

A.K.A. : Potato Cannon :lol:

A little bit o' potato, starting fluid, and an electric ignitor and you have yourself a bit o' fun.....and illegal at that!

Illegal?

Then I'll make sure to stick with the contraption that throws the pumpkins almost a mile! :cry:

Or I could make one that throws...... :P

164cac1e-e3ea-47ca-81b8-69803d8cc009.jpg

Ooo, I just remembered something about the Punkin' Chunkin' championship from a few years back that might be important to TT.

The championship team appeared with their huge rig outside the Late Night with David Letterman show to shoot a pumpkin across the Hudson into New Jersey. Problem was that the shot was after sundown and so the pumpkin disappeared into the darkness never to be heard from again.

Incoming TT! Incoming!

I had the pleasure to be caching with Duscwé!  today in Temecula when he made his 2000th find.  Way to go D!

Congrats to all!

WOOOOOWWWW!!!!! Congrats to you all!

Congrats to all!

Wow!

Congrats Duscwé! on 2 :P:lol::cry: !

Congrats Splashes on 3 :o;):) !

Congrats to Duscwé! and to the Spashes! :P

:POh, and I found my 400th today and it isn't even my 6-month "lunaversary" yet. :D

There was a time when I hoped to find 365 by my one-year anniversary . . . :P

There's another thread here where he's linked to a script that will track TB movement in Google Earth too! Go to that thread or install the script from here.

Thanks for the links Toby! I got Firefox and Greasemonkey and the Google thing working! It all works great on XP! I also got TTs wicked cool puzzle extension loaded too! Haven't had a chance to try that one out......yet! :P

Congrats to all!

Wow!

Congrats Duscwé! on 2 :P:P:P !

Congrats Splashes on 3 :P:lol::cry: !

CONGRATS!! THAT'S JUST AMAZING!! :o;)

Congrats to all!

Wow!

Congrats Duscwé! on 2 :P:P:lol: !

Congrats Splashes on 3 :cry::o;) !

Bravo Zulu!

Congrats to all!

Wow!

Congrats Duscwé! on 2 :lol::P:P !

Congrats Splashes on 3 :cry::o;) !

WoooooHooooooo!! Chew 'em up and spit 'em out!

Edited by FlagMan
There's another thread here where he's linked to a script that will track TB movement in Google Earth too! Go to that thread or install the script from here.

Back at ya Toby! Here is a link to a Firefox extension called Greasemap that puts a Google Map at the top of every cache page! Pretty slick!

Now THAT is cool! Nice one Pat.

I found a good link loaded with Greasemonkey extensions. If you scroll down to Geocaching section, the second extension in that section adds a link on Google Maps views to launch a window showing the nearest geocaches to the center of the map!

Back at ya Toby! Here is a link to a Firefox extension called Greasemap that puts a Google Map at the top of every cache page! Pretty slick!

Very, very cool. Thanks for these great links. Talk about armchair caching!

BTW, I have recently begun to use tools like Google Earth (especially in the 3D mode) AFTER a find to show others where I've been. I'm pretty old school and still enjoy working primarily with my set of USGS topos (San Diego County) and Topo! California (and its Magellan analog on my Meridian for the rest of the U.S.).

-GD

In playing around with the cache page links to Google Map, I notice the positions for backcountry locations can be off a bit from true lat/long position. Puts you in the right neighborhood but don't count on indicated locations relative to fixed references, like USFS roads. USA Photomaps seems to be much better in that regard.

-GD

16cb21ab-0c58-4be6-bd52-2d93209451e5.jpg

Nice shorts Steve. Pick 'em out yourself?

Nice photo editing job, Harmon! Nobody would ever purposely wear shorts like those! :huh:

I found the actual photo taken!

These shorts are much better..don't ya think? :blink:

f172bbee-e83b-4020-87c5-33ef19334b16.jpg

Nice shorts. Wonder what Steve wears under his shorts?

20504ee9-7809-4019-9eab-38883bb633f8.jpg

Wanna see?

Edited by SD Rowdies

In playing around with the cache page links to Google Map, I notice the positions for backcountry locations can be off a bit from true lat/long position. Puts you in the right neighborhood but don't count on indicated locations relative to fixed references, like USFS roads. USA Photomaps seems to be much better in that regard.

-GD

Yes, Gecko Dad, you are right! USA Photomaps has higher resolution than Google. Rocket Man posted some USA Photomap color satellite images from Denver in an earlier post and there was a pretty dramatic difference between those and what Google provides. They were quite impressive. Anyhow, Google provides a quick and slick way to glance at any area. I really love how you can type in an address into Google! I never have to give my wife directions anymore since I showed her Google maps! :blink:

Yes, Gecko Dad, you are right! USA Photomaps has higher resolution than Google. Rocket Man posted some USA Photomap color satellite images from Denver in an earlier post and there was a pretty dramatic difference between those and what Google provides. They were quite impressive. Anyhow, Google provides a quick and slick way to glance at any area. I really love how you can type in an address into Google! I never have to give my wife directions anymore since I showed her Google maps! :blink:

The main shortcoming isn't resolution as much as it is accuracy. I have found Google Maps (and satellite images) don't map the cache coordinates precisely to the actual lat/long in areas of the San Diego back country. One of my tests was for our new TG cache up on Black Mountain (east of Pamo Valley). I would not rely entirely on them, for instance, to determine which side of a road or trail a cache is hidden. GM seems to do a better job for in town locations.

-GD

Yes, Gecko Dad, you are right! USA Photomaps has higher resolution than Google. Rocket Man posted some USA Photomap color satellite images from Denver in an earlier post and there was a pretty dramatic difference between those and what Google provides. They were quite impressive. Anyhow, Google provides a quick and slick way to glance at any area. I really love how you can type in an address into Google! I never have to give my wife directions anymore since I showed her Google maps!  B)

The main shortcoming isn't resolution as much as it is accuracy. I have found Google Maps (and satellite images) don't map the cache coordinates precisely to the actual lat/long in areas of the San Diego back country. One of my tests was for our new TG cache up on Black Mountain (east of Pamo Valley). I would not rely entirely on them, for instance, to determine which side of a road or trail a cache is hidden. GM seems to do a better job for in town locations.

-GD

Besides they misname back-country roads and trails.

Yes, Gecko Dad, you are right! USA Photomaps has higher resolution than Google. Rocket Man posted some USA Photomap color satellite images from Denver in an earlier post and there was a pretty dramatic difference between those and what Google provides. They were quite impressive. Anyhow, Google provides a quick and slick way to glance at any area. I really love how you can type in an address into Google! I never have to give my wife directions anymore since I showed her Google maps!  B)

-GD

Besides they misname back-country roads and trails.

I know the accuracy is pretty bad. When I type in my own address it points at my neighbors house two doors down. But I don't use Google Maps to try to figure out which rock a cache is hidden under, but rather where I should park and the best way to approach a cache. It's accurate enough for that!

Anyone know any single girls in New Jersey?  B)

PQMommy,

Jersey girls come in two varieties I've been told (warned).

And that would be the "Bridge and Tunnel" variety and the "Down the Shore" variety.

Neither from what I've seen compare remotely to Splashette's daugh.....umm I mean California girls.

B)

-TT--

I've still two of my children I need to sell off for medical experiments.

Any takers for:

Stay on Target or

Would You Like to Super-Size this?

Both are in/about MiraMesa & Scripps Ranch area.

--TT--

Considering I've tried to find Super-Size 3 times and failed B) , I'll have to pass.

Bummer on the girls, Jeff. You should have nabbed one here before you left, although convincing someone to move to Joisey is no small feat!

Hope you're settling in well!

Introducing YMS #19 TrailGators:

bb65c555-7530-47fa-81f5-98b3e02a75cd.jpg

Harmon and Rocket Man can take the blame -- er.. I mean credit -- for the design on this one!

:lol: That's a little below the belt! I mean above the belt....whatever! At least I know who to strangle! :rolleyes:

Hey, how did my name get on there. I just provided information. ;) I am glad I am in Denver right now (I mean I wish I was in Denver right now). :lol:

Edited by Rocket Man
Introducing YMS #19 TrailGators:

bb65c555-7530-47fa-81f5-98b3e02a75cd.jpg

Harmon and Rocket Man can take the blame -- er.. I mean credit -- for the design on this one!

:lol: That's a little below the belt! I mean above the belt....whatever! At least I know who to strangle! :rolleyes:

Hey, how did my name get on there. I just provided information. ;) I am glad I am in Denver right now (I mean I wish I was in Denver right now). :lol:

I was a mere pawn in this YMS design scheme. Don't forget who last captured the uDesignit card. (You should read the emails about this design. Now there would be a collection to have.)

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

After looking at the Yrium memorial cards, I wondered how many of the old timers were still active. I used my old Buzzing might be Rattlesnakes logs to check, heres what I found.

1 Tuna 7-14-05 ..............................last time they logged onto geocaching.com

2 Mark71Mark 12-24-04

3 Old Frenchy 6-28-05

4 Black Ace 7-09-05

5 Mr uu 7-05-05

6 Monteverde 4-13-05

7 Z Cat 7-14-05

8 BikeDog 7-16-05

9 HowlingWolf 7-14-05

I only went as far as Splashmans log.

If it had been over a year since their last login I didn't include them, and if the cacher only had a few logs I didn't include them.

Its amazing what you'll do when your bored

Edited by vagabond
I've still two of my children I need to sell off for medical experiments.

Any takers for:

Stay on Target  or

Would You Like to Super-Size this?

Both are in/about MiraMesa & Scripps Ranch area. 

--TT--

O for cryin' out loud, quit begging to get rid of those two caches. I'll take "Stay on Target" because I've been asked for help on it several times. Imagine that!

You'll notice that I haven't scored it so now I must. O rats, now I can't.

How does the adoption work? Do I just look after it or is there some sort of pagan ritual involved?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies