The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Can you guess where we are (without looking at our log)?

-Gecko Dad

Why shore, yo're on top of a big ol' boulder. Shoot, anybody can see tha'ut.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

What remarkable deductive powers those ol' cowboys bring to the table. ;)

-GD

Glad t' he'p out. Just remember, if it's straight thankin' y' need then a cowboy is y'r man.

56a07485-6be2-498d-a32e-88bb04c68f1d.jpg

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

By th' way, Shalla's Horseshoe TB made it t' Pimlico race track and t' Stonehenge. Great photos on th' TB page.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Hawkeye downloaded it a couple of days ago -- it's pretty amazing, seeing the terrain in 3D and everything. I think we're going to end up using it to plan our caching trips, once we buy the paid version and get it loaded up with waypoints. It seems like a far more effective way to identify a cluster of caches (with information on the terrain and ability to get between them) than anything else we've tried yet. We're not crazy about the Windows-only aspect either -- I'm a Mac person and he runs Linux -- but his new computer also has XP and it does come in handy now and then.

Did anyone get there in time to download Google Earth before they disabled downloads? It sounds fantastic - though no Mac version yet, of course. GRRR.

http://earth.google.com

Groovy downloaded it before they stopped supporting new Beta testers. I also installed based on his copy of the self-extracting application (10+ MB).

It is a blast, especially "flying" around San Diego caching areas. I have especially enjoyed replaying past desert treks. Since it is based on a digital earth database, you can also explore world wide, such as the Himalayas or Hawaii or, I suppose, the Lake District. In Windows XP on my laptop, it seems nearly real-time and you hardly notice it is streaming. Hopefully they'll open downloads up to more users.

-GD

-Gecko Dad

About 100 or so feet from JANO at the nearby summit log?

Just my guess ;)

~Jess

The flag at JANO is much more weathered than that one (at least the last time I was up there, and assuming this is a rather current photo).

Photo was taken at noon yesterday on the 4th of July, the 229th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.

For Harmon, here is another shot to point out that the boulder isn't the main clue. ;)

-GD

cef9499c-d860-43c0-aaa0-d740dc644cc2.jpg

Edited by Team Gecko

-Gecko Dad

Just my guess ;)

~Jess

The flag at JANO is much more weathered than that one (at least the last time I was up there, and assuming this is a rather current photo).

Photo was taken at noon yesterday on the 4th of July, the 229th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.

For Harmon, here is another shot to point out that the boulder isn't the main clue. ;)

-GD

cef9499c-d860-43c0-aaa0-d740dc644cc2.jpg

Hey! Hey! Hey! now I've got it ... you're at Mammoth sky lodge.

Seems like y' got there a bit early in th' season.

Thanks f'r th' hint,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

-Gecko Dad

Just my guess ;)

~Jess

-GD

Thanks f'r th' hint,

Harmon

Dang, that Harmon is a sharp one. Note particularly the extremely high water from this year's spring melt (photo taken 45 minutes later and only a half mile from the summit). ;)

-GD

8b1db530-999f-4af0-883a-dba921e573b7.jpg

Edited by Team Gecko

-Gecko Dad

Just my guess ;)

~Jess

-GD

Thanks f'r th' hint,

Harmon

Dang, that Harmon is a sharp one. Note particularly the extremely high water from this year's spring melt (photo taken 45 minutes later and only a half mile from the summit). ;)

-GD

8b1db530-999f-4af0-883a-dba921e573b7.jpg

Dang! I knowed I wuz right all along. Mammoth shore looks like Lake Hodges don't it?

Harmon

Thanks for the great photos by the way, they may come in handy ol' buddy.

I did find a mirror site for Google Earth:

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-E...gle-Earth.shtml

I was playing around with this on my brother's computer this weekend.

Very sweet!

Now I can plan a lot better, and uploading .gpx files into rocks!

--TT--

Smart, cheers Jeff. I'll have a look on the home PC later.

I wonder what the GPSr support will be like on the Plus version - it just says you can "read tracks and waypoints from your GPS", but I presume we'll be able to upload waypoints *to* GPS as well.

Very sweet!

--TT--

I wonder what the GPSr support will be like on the Plus version - it just says you can "read tracks and waypoints from your GPS", but I presume we'll be able to upload waypoints *to* GPS as well.

Yes, I agree! Thanks Jeff! I looked at my neighborhood with this software and the hills and mountains around my neighorhood are all rendered fairly accurately. However, the houses themselves look like those aliens from "War of the Worlds" have visited the area since I left this morning! ;)

Edited by TrailGators

Very sweet!

--TT--

I'm downloading as I type this.

FYI, re Google Maps, I found out if you print in landscape, you will get a print job much wider than that displayed on your monitor.

Google Earth is pretty slick! Here's a shot of Google Earth with the a GPX file loaded with the caches I have not found around Escondido.

A while back, Dan-Oh posted a color aerial map of Disneyland that he created using USAPhotoMaps. The San Diego area doesn't have the color maps, but here in Denver they do and they are great (and free). You can load GPX files into USAPhotoMaps and it also talks to your GPS. Here are some examples with geocaches shown:

Color Aerial Zoomed Out One Level

2b88d364-d46f-4ccf-98ad-6e6b52154c8a.jpg

Color Aerial Zoomed In

6c4667c3-8500-4f25-8bb6-a77ecd2511be.jpg

Color Aerial Urban Zoomed Out One Level

895fb7da-3e08-4c52-b1e6-041281c8531a.jpg

Color Aerial Urban Zoomed In

91a8587b-6fb1-4648-bdea-c4ca344fa960.jpg

Hopefully these maps will be available in San Diego soon. RM

Greetings San Diego GeoCachers!

We are new cachers (letterboxers first). We will be going up to the Running Springs Big Bear Lake area and we are hoping to get some recommendations for caches up there. Caches to stay away from, also good to know. Thanks for any help you can give us.  :rolleyes:

Welcome teamjack&birdie! My favorite one up there was Keller Peak!

Edited by TrailGators

We are new cachers (letterboxers first). We will be going up to the Running Springs Big Bear Lake area and we are hoping to get some recommendations for caches up there. Caches to stay away from, also good to know. Thanks for any help you can give us.  :rolleyes:

Log on and review the find list for any one of the Geocachers listed below or send them an email inquiry. They hit almost all of the Big Bear and Running Springs caches together about a month ago. Their log entries should be helpful.

Splashman (Splashette), $kimmer, Rocket Man, Team Reid, Ruscal, and TrailGators.

Of course be forewarned that each and every one of that group are diehard Geocachers. If they can't find it then it ain't there ... or at least they faked the find.

Don't forget to have fun. We'll look forward to hearing about your adventure.

No photos in your profile gallery, dang. Yikes! a Federal Officer ... I didn't do it but I know who did.

Harmon

Mug shot of the perp's.

352999b1-95a4-4eee-9bef-dcd1cd126060.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

We are new cachers (letterboxers first). We will be going up to the Running Springs Big Bear Lake area and we are hoping to get some recommendations for caches up there. Caches to stay away from, also good to know. Thanks for any help you can give us. :rolleyes:

If ya want to do a 5/5 cache give this one a try:

Intent of Infinity

Be sure to take necessary precautions.

D!

Thanks for the help! We saw the Infinty cache and well, I can jump out of planes but get me on a bridge and I get all noodle like. We do plan on attempting some of the other caches by those evil hiders. We already printed out the Keller Peak, looks like a good one! We are thinking of dropping a bone onto infinity and seeing if Jack (other half of Birdie) will crawl down to it for us! (Dogs BTW :rolleyes: ) I emailed one of the cachers on the list who was up in the area but got no reply... that's why I came here. We're actually taking off after work today.

As for the picture of the perps: Yes they do look familiar..... seems to me my canine partner showed some interest in them down at the border, beedie-eyes the lot of em!

Thanks again! :anibad:

Hi,

If you all don't have any one better could you please vote for me?

Voting for the June contest ends on July 15th.

The folowing link will take you to my photo.

Vote for GoBolt!

Thanks for your help.

Cool photo . . . it got my vote. :rolleyes:

Hey now.....what about my votes? :anibad:

The True Original submission from PassingWind - WJTB - "Snowden"

Hi Passingwind, I tried voting for you too but I would have to change my vote to do so. So I can change my vote but I think my vote is worth a beer! So the first photographer to offer me a beer at the next Event cache gets my vote! :lol:

Edited by TrailGators

We are new cachers (letterboxers first). We will be going up to the Running Springs Big Bear Lake area and we are hoping to get some recommendations for caches up there. Caches to stay away from, also good to know. Thanks for any help you can give us. :rolleyes:

The Blonds have a cache in Big Bear...."Quartz site with a view". Off the Pacific Crest Trail in the Baldwin Lake area. You can bag several caches in that same area. Anyone up for a Big Bear Trip in the near future?

"Run pocket queries" doesn't work because it shows a page stating that I have maxxed out my number of queries & need to delete some before I can run more. It doesn't show my list, nor does it tell me how to get to that page. "You can't get there from here!" ;)

Have y' thought of printing out the cache pages?

"Run pocket queries" doesn't work because it shows a page stating that I have maxxed out my number of queries & need to delete some before I can run more. It doesn't show my list, nor does it tell me how to get to that page. "You can't get there from here!" ;)

I've maxed out mine before but it still let me view them. I have no idea what you've gotten yourself into. You may want to ask around in the main forum area for an answer.......or just do what Harmon suggested. :P