The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

I 'm almost done planning my trip up 395 next week.

I found this Earthcache called Tufa Towers that I can hit.

I've never done an Earthcache but it seems like a cool idea! :lol:

92d7b966-a786-4a4d-9ca0-2666032ee5da.jpg

There's another Earthcache north of this one called Travertine Earthcache.

The only person to log it didn't follow the directions and post the required photo, so I won't know what that one looks like until I get there. :yikes:

Thanks again for the ideas:

Masonic Overlook

The Ghost Town of Bodie

Manzanar Waterworks Virtual Cache

Logan Shoals Vista Point

Royal Cascade *But we will most likely save Yosemite for another trip because of time constraints.

If you think of any others let me know! :laughing:

Edited by TrailGators

Be sure to do the close by regular cache Mono Cache and go swimming in the lake! (I did while I was there) The mineral level in the water makes you float like a cork! ... well, maybe a waterlogged cork, but it is an experience. ( I almost said nonetheless or nevertheless but maybe a period is best these days!) Enjoy your trip.

EDIT - Added text and link:

Mono Lake Tufa State Reserve

A swim in Mono Lake is a memorable experience. The lake's salty water is denser than ocean water, and provides a delightfully buoyant swim. Old timers claim that a soak in the lake will cure almost anything. Keep the water out of your eyes or any cuts, as it will sting.

Edited by kawikaturn
Be sure to do the close by regular cache Mono Cache and go swimming in the lake! (I did while I was there) The mineral level in the water makes you float like a cork! ... well, maybe a waterlogged cork, but it is an experience. ( I almost said nonetheless or nevertheless but maybe a period is best these days!) Enjoy your trip.

They also have clouds of weird flys that buzz all around you, but won't land on you! Mono Lake seems like a place from another planet.

Ruscal

wierd looked weird so I changed it...

Edited by RUSCAL

Swimming in Mono Lake!! Nasty. ;)

I did some research up there a year or so ago and it turns out the pH of the water is around 10 or 11, very alkaline. Ran across a Park Ranger who has done some SCUBA diving on some of the tufa towers in the lake, it's not the Bahamas! Made a trip out to Poas Island to inspect some of the unique thermal features out there....just like a mini-Yellowstone. Make sure you eat some of the fly larvae you'll find along the shoreline....they're crunchy & salty like British food. BTW the local Native Americans used to harvest and eat them so they should be safe.

Make sure you eat some of the fly larvae you'll find along the shoreline....they're crunchy & salty like British food. BTW the local Native Americans used to harvest and eat them so they should be safe.

I ain't eating any bugs unless I'm on Fear Factor and have a shot at winning 50Gs!

That reminds me! Whatever happened with John, Jess and Flagman on their Treasure Hunt tryout?

Make sure you eat some of the fly larvae you'll find along the shoreline....they're crunchy & salty like British food.

BTW the local Native Americans used to harvest and eat them so they should be safe.

Not to make too fine a point but I like to mention that there's no longer Native American's living around Mono Lake.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Make sure you eat some of the fly larvae you'll find along the shoreline....they're crunchy & salty like British food.

BTW the local Native Americans used to harvest and eat them so they should be safe.

Not to make too fine a point but I like to mention that there's no longer Native American's living around Mono Lake.

Hence the term "used to" harvest ;)

Hence the term "used to" harvest ;)

I'll be harvesting a Big Mac at nearby McDonalds! :D

I bet the Indians would have done the same if they had had a Mickey Dees back then!

They could have riden up to the drive-thru and ordered a McScalp! ;)

Next time I go there I am bringing an Ipod!

Apple has not perfected the fork option for the Ipod yet. I hear rumours (rumors?) that it (Ifork) will be released soon.

Unfortunately, early rumors of the I-Fork state that it will only work with Apple's I-Food. The I-Fork is expected to be available in 5 happy pastel shades though it is expected to cost twice as much as a standard fork.

Next time I go there I am bringing an Ipod!

Apple has not perfected the fork option for the Ipod yet. I hear rumours (rumors?) that it (Ifork) will be released soon.

Unfortunately, early rumors of the I-Fork state that it will only work with Apple's I-Food. The I-Fork is expected to be available in 5 happy pastel shades though it is expected to cost twice as much as a standard fork.

Is Apple the one that made all the I-Diots?

OK, the Udesignit Card TB will be dropped in a San Diego County cache immediately following the final out in the Padres game this Saturday, June 25th. As an additional incentive, a white jeep TB will simultaneously be dropped in the same cache. My plan is to hook Max up to one of those Dr. Seuss contraptions and dangle a burrito in front of him so that I can (hopefully) mush in a cooler. You may need something cold by the time you make it to the cache!

Forcast for Saturday (Game Time 1:10 pm):

Zone: High/Low

Coast: 68/62

Inland: 82/59

Mountains: 79/55

Desert: 102/68

This just in from Colorado.

Notice that RocketMan and Aardvark56 went back to paper. They would have needed some paper had they turned around and spotted that Grizzly right behind them.

41609903-7402-46e5-8a4e-306fb2ad2db2.jpg

Actually they are showing off a very difficult FTF that they scored in Denver.

I had heard that they bearly found that one! :anitongue:

Notice that RocketMan and Aardvark56 went back to paper. They would have needed some paper had they turned around and spotted that Grizzly right behind them.

You will notice that Aardvark56 is using paper, I am not!

At first, Dave, I was sure that you were wearing a pocket protector in that photo. Naturally I checked the high-resolution version of the photo and found that you are off the hook with the style police.

Love the way you posted the photo on that cache page, as though it is a spoiler.

Sleepy in Seattle? Nah, "Notorious in Denver."

That's why I haven't listed mine yet . . . I wanted someone else to get a chance and then cegrube beat you to P.T.'s latest one.

By the way, Chuy, look what I found carved into the sidewalk yesterday when I was out doing Misha's Missing Microfilm :anitongue:

By the way, a belated congratulations to Idiosyncratic for her thousand posts on the Forum. Begs the question, anybody done two thousand? :anitongue: It is all about the numbers isn't it?

Edited by SD Rowdies

EDIT - Added text and link:

Mono Lake Tufa State Reserve

A swim in Mono Lake is a memorable experience. The lake's salty water is denser than ocean water, and provides a delightfully buoyant swim. Old timers claim that a soak in the lake will cure almost anything. Keep the water out of your eyes or any cuts, as it will sting.

If it is at all possible try to get to Bodie very early in the morning and sign up for the guided tour they fill very fast. When we were there last year we were fortunste to get a guide that has been preparing to write a book on the history of the town which at one time was actually larger than San Francisco. Good luck

That's why I haven't listed mine yet . . . I wanted someone else to get a chance and then cegrube beat you to P.T.'s latest one.

By the way, Chuy, look what I found carved into the sidewalk yesterday when I was out doing Misha's Missing Microfilm :anitongue:

By the way, a belated congratulations to Idiosyncratic for her thousand posts on the Forum. Begs the question, anybody done two thousand? :anitongue: It is all about the numbers isn't it?

Why thank you, Harmon. I also just passed 300 caches, something I couldn't have done without P.T. as my caching companion two days a week, and the "anonymous cacher" as my companion on another day of the week.

I wish those numbers were reversed however. . . .

At first, Dave, I was sure that you were wearing a pocket protector in that photo. Naturally I checked the high-resolution version of the photo and found that you are off the hook with the style police.

Love the way you posted the photo on that cache page, as though it is a spoiler.

Sleepy in Seattle? Nah, "Notorious in Denver."

Darn, I'm busted. That thing in my pocket is actually a copy of the cache page. You weren't supposed to notice!

:anitongue: I noticed that today also, but saw the date and figured everyone had already congratulated them . . .

Congrats to Team Gecko on 2000!!!!!! ] :anitongue:

Way to go Team Gecko!!!

Yeah, way to go Don. Don't lets forget that every Gecko find is probably worth ten of our finds. That man is an off-road vehicle all by himself.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Holy Smokes!  Did I miss the memo or something?!?!?  Team Gecko hit the tonne mark on June 12th!  Log Entry  That was almost two weeks ago without recognition!  [by me at least]  Way to go, Don and company! 

2 :anitongue:  ;)  :D

Oh my! Well, we have no excuse :anitongue: . We've been reading through (and enjoying) all your posts almost on a daily basis trying to figure out where you may have left something(s) of interest... :)!! Guess we got too caught up in the cool links and info you share, thanks! And so... even though we knew that you were coming up on this amazing accomplishment we somehow just missed it...whoops!

WOW! Congratulations on 2 :D:(:D !!

Thanks Team Gecko for all your contributions to the local geocaching community!

John&Jess

Me and the ol' lady are fixin to make our way out of town (again).

We will be hittin' the road the morning after The "Shakespeare Quiz 2: Farewell to TT (Event Cache)"...If we are not toooooo hungover.

We will be driving to Oklahoma via the 40 and returning by way of Show Low AZ.

If you have any bugs, Jeeps or Mount10bike coins :ph34r: that would like to make the trip (one-way or RT) bring them to the Pub.

PS If you know of any "Must do" caches along the way please let us know.

PPS Doc...did I use all the words in the proper "Queen's English" type way?

OK...Is there an easy way to plot caches along a long route?

Edited by GoBolt

We will be hittin' the road the morning after The "Shakespeare Quiz 2: Farewell to TT (Event Cache)"...If we are not toooooo hungover.

If you have any bugs, Jeeps or Mount10bike coins :ph34r: that would like to make the trip (one-way or RT) bring them to the Pub.

OK...Is there an easy way to plot caches along a long rout?

There are several methods to do this. The one I favor is to dump all of the waypoints into mapsource and select the ones I want (or the ones that I don't want). Then, using GSAK, I can filter out just the ones I want. If you have mapsource and GSAK, let me know and I will give you the instructions.

Dave

OK...Is there an easy way to plot caches along a long rout?

There are several methods to do this. The one I favor is to dump all of the waypoints into mapsource and select the ones I want (or the ones that I don't want). Then, using GSAK, I can filter out just the ones I want. If you have mapsource and GSAK, let me know and I will give you the instructions.

Dave

Yes I have mapsourse and GSAK.

Thank you,

David

PS I have already run my pocket queries and have the caches in GSAK and exported the files in an MPS file...but would like to narrow that down to caches that are along my route.

PPS How are things for you and yours?

Instructions for selecting caches along a route by selecting waypoints on the map in Mapsource.

1. Download multiple Pocket Queries spaced along the route.

2. Put them all into one folder and open them all into GSAK at once using these settings (change the path/folder name to the folder where you put your PQs):

35175cc7-8753-42bf-bb37-541a9489a607.jpg

3. Export all of the waypoints into Mapsource from GSAK, leaving the GC numbers in tact:

0c9db962-30f1-46c0-89e7-136b26f05b30.jpg

4. On the map in Mapsource, use the arrow tool to select the waypoints you want to delete (left click and drag the box to select a bunch at once. Hit the delete key to delete them). Note: alternatively, you can select the ones you want to keep and copy and paste them into a new Mapsource window (just run Mapsource a second time to get another Mapsource window).

5. When you have only the waypoints you want in Mapsource, save them as a GPX file using the Mapsource "Save As" function. (Note: You must have Mapsource 6.5 or newer to save the waypoints as a GPX file. You can download a Mapsource update here.)

4c5ccab1-f273-4ca7-9f23-88a10989e82f.jpg

6. Open the GPX file that you just created into your existing GSAK session using the following settings (this will set the user flag for the waypoints that were in your Mapsource file, Note: Make sure you are using the latest version of GSAK):

1455119b-e85b-4d6c-9d76-9bd844988b0b.jpg

7. Last step - Tell GSAK that you only want to look at the caches that have the user flag set using the GSAK filters:

3c04b5ba-bef6-4127-91d0-66edf7141cfb.jpg

You are now looking at just the caches that you had selected in Mapsource. You can now export them from GSAK to wherever you want them, including creating a new GPX file with all the cache info in it (unlike the one that Mapsource saved which only contained the waypoint names and coords).

It is easier than it sounds. Give it a try.

Dave

Edited by Rocket Man
So, will it be one last puzzle FTF for Jeff? Or can somebody else beat him to it?

This one's been active since 7.45 this morning.....

Dude...it's 11 AM...I just woke up. And now you want me to do acid-base equilibrium?

Keeeee-rist!

--TT--

Not that I had a fighting chance in the first place but when I saw the cache page and the H-H name came to mind, my hands started to shake so bad I had to stop. :laughing: It's all yours, TT, hope it's 0.1 from Spam Haiku :ph34r:

Caches Along a Route, Round 2

Ok, since I showed you my preferred method for getting caches along a route, I thought I also should show the more standard method using one of GSAK's more powerful features, the Arc filter. This method is actually easier, but I prefer to pick and choose on the map using the other method.

Here are the instructions using Mapsource:

1. Draw your route in Mapsource (this is easy if you let Mapsource autoroute).

2. Save the Mapsource file in the old .mps format using Save As (this is necessary because GSAK can't read the newer file format):

a4fefb32-ac51-42e4-932b-6214892d574e.jpg

3. Open GSAK and Load all of your GPX files using the instructions on my previous caches along a route instructions.

4. Open up the GSAK filter dialog and go to the Arc/Poly tab. Click on Load from File and select the .mps file that you saved in step 2 (This will input a bunch of waypoints in to the Arc/Poly dialog box, representing your route - the waypoints are already loaded in the dialog in the image below):

e4a4a551-47de-4ea8-86cc-1fdc9d0771ea.jpg

5. Now just select the distance from your route that you want the filter to use and click GO. The filter will eliminate any caches that are more than 1 mile from your route (at least it will approximate that. You can now export the remaining caches to any of you applications that you want.)

Here is TG's 395 route with a 1 mile distance selected:

cd9d99ed-aff6-43a8-9679-6207377289cb.jpg

Note: This also works with Magellan Mapsend routes.

Take your pick,

Rocket Man

Edited by Rocket Man

There's a new kid in town! As I was going to plant a new cache today, I happened upon someone searching around GCHKMC. I approached as he was filling out the log. His handle is "Pioneer", and he's half of "Pioneer 'n' Tiff".

He's from Australia, but married an American gal and they are now living in El Cajon. Seems like a nice fella. Keep an eye out for him.