The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

We say keep the race on!  A small blunder should not prevent the race from happening.

Todd and Marie

I'm only going to do one card at a time. The race is postponed for a week. Let's plan on last out next Saturday, 6/25....

Edited by FlagMan
Last night I saw 2 of these little critters on my hike. Looked 'em up when I got home to find that its a California Black-Headed Snake.

Soon as I touched him, he squirmed around so fast, he wanted nothing to do with me.

tapl.jpg

He's thinner than a pencil and about 10" long. Kinda like a big worm.

Can you say fish bait? :lol:

Thanks for the post, Dan-oh. Always like to learn about new species in our uniquely diverse San Diego eco-habitats.

There is a very similar species that I have seen locally, primarily in the desert - the Western Blind Snake (Leptotyphlops humilis). It is not certain if they are really blind. Theylooks like over-sized earthworms and are sometimes informally referred to as worm snakes.

I have seen blind snakes mostly at night, including on one memorable backpack into between Third and Fourth Grove in Borrego Palm Canyon. Ths one became sort of a camp mascot since it came out of a hole in the ground near my ground cloth at nearly the same time each evening. Because of their tiny mouths, they mainly eat ant and termite eggs.

Here are some descriptive links:

http://museum.utep.edu/archive/reptiles/DDblindsnake.htm

http://www.californiaherps.com/snakes/pages/l.h.humilis.html

http://museum.utep.edu/chih/theland/animal...ptiles/lehu.htm

http://www.nps.gov/tont/nature/snakeblind.htm

-Gecko Dad

Last night I saw 2 of these little critters on my hike.  Looked 'em up when I got home to find that its a California Black-Headed Snake

Soon as I touched him, he squirmed around so fast, he wanted nothing to do with me. 

tapl.jpg

He's thinner than a pencil and about 10" long.  Kinda like a big worm.

Can you say fish bait?  :yikes:

One more attribute of the Western Blind Snake - in addition to looking nearly identical to an earth worm, they don't like to be handled and will try to escape.

Here's another link that I forgot to include.

http://www.werc.usgs.gov/fieldguide/lehu.htm

-Gecko Dad

PassingWind had a healthy baby girl this morning, she was born at 1:15AM !!!!

Here she is !

5323_dramaqueen.jpg

Beautiful, just beautiful. Congratulations once again. I repeat, what's her Geocaching handle?

I'lll get back to you on that photo.

Harmon

f789761e-c955-4e81-a2a2-45a1649fc96f.jpg

Peewee with Fifty-Fifty

Edited by SD Rowdies
After many weeks of contemplation, our decision has been made and we are formally announcing our assault on the Sandy Creek Ranch tomorrow, Jun 18th 2005! Any folks want to join in, we are departing Oceanside early in the AM. See y'all on the trail. :yikes:

Todd and Marie

Y'all have fun. Sure hope y' enjoy our cowboy caches. For maximum enjoyment make sure to do the ones along La Posta Truck Trail.

Can't wait to see your log entries.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

After many weeks of contemplation, our decision has been made and we are formally announcing our assault on the Sandy Creek Ranch tomorrow, Jun 18th 2005! Any folks want to join in, we are  departing Oceanside early in the AM. See y'all on the trail. :yikes:

Todd and Marie

Y'all have fun. Sure hope y' enjoy our cowboy caches. For maximum enjoyment make sure to do the ones along La Posta Truck Trail.

Can't wait to see your log entries.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

We had a great time out there today. Nabbed an even dozen of y'alls caches (Told ya it was gonna be an assault). Still shaking the dust out of our boots and the jeep. Thanks for the geo-hospitality.

Todd and Marie

3eab83a4-3eb5-44d9-afd4-465bdf7fe5ea.jpg

We had a great time out there today. Nabbed an even dozen of y'alls caches (Told ya it was gonna be an assault). Still shaking the dust out of our boots and the jeep. Thanks for the geo-hospitality.

Todd and Marie

Geezo, looking at your logs you made it sound easy. Maybe it's true what they say about east and west of I-5. We're just some dumb ol' cowboys.

Delighted to have you visit our cowboy caches. This time of year we don't hold out much hope for finders. Makes a long summer for Carpenter and I. We thrill at sighting an unfamiliar vehicle rolling by the ranch.

We are in the early stages of preparing cowboy fifteen. Got some buying and fabrication to do.

Harmon

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Geezo, looking at your logs you made it sound easy. Maybe it's true what they say about east and west of I-5. We're just some dumb ol' cowboys.

Delighted to have you visit our cowboy caches. This time of year we don't hold out much hope for finders. Makes a long summer for Carpenter and I. We thrill at sighting an unfamiliar vehicle rolling by the ranch.

Everything is easy in retrospect. Marie and myself really enjoyed the ones that we got a chance to do yesterday, and the jeep even enjoyed the backroads. The weather was perfect also. Maybe I understand y'all more than you think, I am from way west of I-5 (Central Florida to be exact), so once I saw how your minds were thinking most of them were purty easy. Then again, maybe we're just really good geocachers. We are very proud of ourselves for getting 12 SCC cache's in one day, and we made a new record for ourselves for 20 cache's in one day. Thanks for the FUN(!!!) cache's, looking forward to getting out there again. BTW... love them SCC micros! :D

I have just been reading of my exploits out on the ranch and vicinty. I wanted to report that those Sandy Creek ticks are a lot tougher than the rib eye steaks at the cafe. I'm lookin forward to making another run on more of those CC caches.

Ticks? What ticks? You must've nabbed em all, cause we didn't take home any of them. Then again we didn't come out of #16 lookin like you did either. Congrats on that FTF.

Everything is easy in retrospect. Marie and myself really enjoyed the ones that we got a chance to do yesterday, and the jeep even enjoyed the backroads. The weather was perfect also. Maybe I understand y'all more than you think, I am from way west of I-5 (Central Florida to be exact), so once I saw how your minds were thinking most of them were purty easy. Then again, maybe we're just really good geocachers. We are very proud of ourselves for getting 12 SCC cache's in one day, and we made a new record for ourselves for 20 cache's in one day. Thanks for the FUN(!!!) cache's, looking forward to getting out there again. BTW... love them SCC micros! :D

Just you wait, cowboy fifteen will slow you down as well as your four other team members. Like Emeril-Live we're goin' t' kick it up a notch. Bam!

Just a suggestion, you might not want FishnJack on your team 'cause there's a good chance that he brought th' tick with him.

Thanks a heap f'r comin' out our way,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Hi,

Received this info. from SoCalAdmin.

"...we have begun distribution of the new white

jeep TBs here in Southern California and I know that a good chunk of

the ones that we received are coming down to the San Diego area and

should start popping up around soon. Unfortunately we only received 108

of them from geocaching.com for the entire lower half of the state

(from Monterey Bay to San Diego), so they will be few and far between

I'm afraid. We are doing our best to see that they are spread out as

much as possible. What happens to them after they leave our hands is

completely out of our control of course..."

:PB) WooooooHoooooooo! B):P With this log I can now say that I have found ALL TT active caches! Since his Pushing Tin RDU cache is now listed under another user, and his None More Southwesterly is now inactive, I'm finally DONE! (At least for the moment ... until some new, evil creation is hatched.......) B)

Edited by FlagMan
At least for the moment ... until some new, evil creation is hatched.......) :P

Ask...and ye shall receive...but you may not like it.

(Honestly folks...you didn't think I was gonna split town without some sort of valedictory cache, eh? Blame Tom. He opened his big mouth and taunted Happy Fun Ball.)

:P

--TT--

Hi,

Received this info. from SoCalAdmin.

"...we have begun distribution of the new white

jeep TBs here in Southern California and I know that a good chunk of

the ones that we received are coming down to the San Diego area and

should start popping up around soon. Unfortunately we only received 108

of them from geocaching.com for the entire lower half of the state

(from Monterey Bay to San Diego), so they will be few and far between

I'm afraid. We are doing our best to see that they are spread out as

much as possible. What happens to them after they leave our hands is

completely out of our control of course..."

White Jeeps you say???

I wonder who received them in SD County????????? HAHAHAHA

At least for the moment ... until some new, evil creation is hatched.......) :P

Ask...and ye shall receive...but you may not like it.

(Honestly folks...you didn't think I was gonna split town without some sort of valedictory cache, eh? Blame Tom. He opened his big mouth and taunted Happy Fun Ball.)

:P

--TT--

TT, I was hoping you'd reset Geocaching Geometry. It was the first puzzle I actually solved of yours, but never made time to visit it 'cause of its location, a decision I have regretted.

Speaking of location, if anyone has coords for Spam Haiku, I'm willing to join you on the hike/visit. I DNF'ed once already and would rather not have to go back a third, forth, etc... time. After you see where it's at, you won't want to either.

Edited by Chuy

Cegrube and I have been burned twice by Seymour Rocks and Almost a Santee Micro.

We are getting together at 5:30p at Seymours on Tuesday to make the find, or bust.

If you haven't found them, come join us; if you have and want to taunt us, we can take it!

Afterwards, I'm taking my daughters to McDonalds for dinner; you're welcome to join us. Yoo Hoo the Clown is at the Santee McDonalds on Cuyamaca every Tuesday; it's the only clown my daughters like, other than Daddy :P .

Look how purty it were out at Sandy Creek Cowboy Cache #16 Sunday night.

Thanks for all the laughs, Harmon!

Idiosyncratic,

Toward evening is a great time of day out toward the ranch. The mountains shield the low western sun so we get that rubescent light early on. You know, romance of the old west sort of thang. Makes an ol' cowboy break into song.

I was ridin' on th' range

An' came upon a bird,

Who's pecker was stuck

In a fresh horse .... .

Come a ti-yi yippy, yippy yay, yippy yay

Come a ti-yi yippy, yippy yay.

Come on girl, sang it a couple o' times with us. That'd be th' birds bill what was stuck of course.

That's Thing Ranch in your photo as opposed to the historic Thing Valley Ranch that's further up La Posta Truck trail.

Glad you enjoyed our latest effort. Keep in mind that we're working on our masterpiece cache. Cowboy fifteen will be a mind bender.

Your ol' pals,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies
We are getting together at 5:30p at Seymours on Tuesday to make the find, or bust. If you haven't found them, come join us....

Sounds like a plan! I have to drop one of the kids off at the high school at about 5 pm, and the traffic on the 52 can be pretty bad at that time of the day, but I will get there as quickly as I can.....

We are getting together at 5:30p at Seymours on Tuesday to make the find, or bust.  If you haven't found them, come join us....

Sounds like a plan! I have to drop one of the kids off at the high school at about 5 pm, and the traffic on the 52 can be pretty bad at that time of the day, but I will get there as quickly as I can.....

The Splashes will be there.

:lol::D WJTB's are out !! :lol::D

I got a new healthy baby girl and I'm taking some family leave time (no work) and what pops up?..... a White Jeep TB. It was a great morning for a stroll through Oakoasis....lots of wildlife. For those who have not done this series I would highly recommend it!!

This guy WILL be staying in San Diego County but won't be to easy to get to......watch for it to pop up in a catch soon.

d3434477-e63e-443e-84cf-10053841b7fb.jpg

84f94009-6119-4e66-a243-09f9ab304a46.jpg