The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Anyone have their caching disturbed by the quake we've just had? Up near Anza, 5.6 magnitude, at 8.41 local time. We felt it quite nicely down here in Mission Bay, hope everyone's OK!

We felt it here in Carlsbad. I would hate to have been in the Arroyo Tapiado mud caves! RM

Felt it here in Ramona...very nice rumbler. Just finished the new Oakoasis Preserve loop by Splashman & Splashette this morning. Ran into D-Jollymon, Chuy, and Duncan. Very nice hike.

I was hiking up at Palomar mountain when I felt it, a little closer to the action than San Diego. It was odd to hear trees moving behind me, then in front of me. Certainly a first to be outside for a good shaker.

Glad I wasn't under the pines when those cones fell out!

Anyone have their caching disturbed by the quake we've just had? Up near Anza, 5.6 magnitude, at 8.41 local time. We felt it quite nicely down here in Mission Bay, hope everyone's OK!

I was sitting on the horse trail in Rancho San Diego logging my FTF on the new jahoady puzzle cache! I made an Instant TB to commemorate. :lol:

Hey All!

Noticed I was on a list of MIA San Diego cachers (along with, I think, Amelia Earhart, Jimmy Hoffa and Judge Crater) and wanted all my firends to know I'm still hangin' around, but just - very sadly - too darn busy to get out and do any caching lately. I think of you all often and I WILL be on the trails again one of these days, but in the meantime:

A. We're (The Wife and I) still working on our novel - a mystery centered on geocaching. We've had a few people read portions of what we've done so far and it seems that the unanimous opinion is that we've got something good there. Just have to find more time to immerse myself in it then find an agent and/or publisher and hope for the best.

B. The major impediment to my geocaching time is that I've had to got back to (gasp!) work. Unable to secure a position in any of my numerous and varied fields of expertise, I'm now working as a chauffeur, carting folks all over San Diego, Orange and Los Angeles counties. I'm enjoying it, but it sure puts a heckuva crimp in my available time. The great news is that during the two years I was out of work, The Wife and I discovered that we really, really enjoy each others' company on a 24/7 basis. But that only made it that much harder to return to the ranks of the employed. Gotta get that book done!

C. Still planning to plant a Travels with Charley cache, but haven't had a chance to scout good locations for it.

D. Any available free time I've had for the past year has been spent with Finnegan, who is now 14 months old and has turned out to be one fantastic beastie. He now holds one obedience title and three herding titles, having won his most recent herding title just last Sunday. One of the judges at his most recent trial told us that she knows all the top Sheltie herders in the country, has seen all of their dogs run, and believes that Finnegan has more talent than any of them. Wow! Really blew us away. He herds kind of like Babe - it's almost like he's made some sort of agreement with the sheep and they just do whatever he asks them to do - no barking, no fuss, and other than a "Watch your sheep" at the beginning of the run and a "That'll do, Finn" at the end, no other corrections or commands from me. Pretty awesome thing to watch, or participate.

Glad folks are still finding my caches - gotta get out soon and do some significant maintenance on Lighten Up, but other than that one they all still seem to be in good shape. Anyhoo, that's the story from here. I do try to keep up on the forum to see if there are any events I might be able to pop up at, but that's gonna be real hard for a while at least, as my normal days off are Mondays and Tuesdays. Hope you are all keeping in good health and having a grand time out on the caching trails - promise I'll be caching up with you one of these fine days!

Peace,

Radical Geezer

Hey All! ...

Peace,

Radical Geezer

Hi Radical Geezer!

Hope to meet you someday; your Thar's GOLD In Them Thar Hills! cache was my first find. What a thrill that was; I still remember the find and the excitement. I'm coming up on 1200 finds and most are blurred, but my first find remains quite vivid.

Cya.l

A. We're (The Wife and I) still working on our novel - a mystery centered on geocaching. We've had a few people read portions of what we've done so far and it seems that the unanimous opinion is that we've got something good there. Just have to find more time to immerse myself in it then find an agent and/or publisher and hope for the best.

Too bad you couldn't have written a better script for the geocaching episode of "Law and Order, Criminal Intent".

I'm a total L&O junkie- but that episode really stunk.

Good luck on the book- who knows? With the popularity of National Treasure and The DaVinci Code someone may pick up your book for a movie. Just remember us ole' geo folks when you make it big.

Dave

Felt it in El Cajon. I was actually on these forums at the time and Tiff felt the first shake. Told me to prepare for another one...and she was right.

Not me quakes in Australia so I still haven't earned my big boy brown earthquake pants. At the time I was watching some motor racing and a commercial was on. The commercial....UPS.

"What can brown do for you?" :ph34r:

Didn't really feel like getting up yet, but that was a pretty good alarm clock. Hmmm. I wonder if they make such an item for the people that have a hard time waking up on a regular basis. Hmmm.

Glad to see you're still kicking, RG. You know you'll sell about a million copies of your book just to the cachers worldwide. :ph34r: Mention that to the publishers.

Edited by HelBob Duo

I suppose y'all have heard and probably suspect stories of animals that can sense the coming of an earthquake. Well you're in luck t'day 'cause I can tell y' that th' stories are plumb true.

At Sandy Creek Ranch we have a matched pair of ol' dawgs named Ghost and Shadow. The one that's earthquake sensitive is Ghost, wouldn't y' know?

Just b'fore any earthquake ol' Ghost lies down, rolls over on his back, and becomes deathly still. He hardly even breaths. Y'all would swear that he was dead.

We first noticed his unusual but useful behavior way back in th' summer of '96. Dang ol' dawg hasn't moved from that pose since th' '96 quake. Right b'fore every quake since then, shore 'nuff, there's ol' Ghost on his back playin' dead.

Worse part is that ol' Shadow picked up th' trick from him.

I swear, it's th' truth,

Harmon of the Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies

TT left a YJTB in my Dream State cache a few weeks ago,presumably as "bait" to get more cachers up there. ;-)

I hate to see it languishing there (plus I haven't found one yet), so unless someone is currently working on the puzzle and plans on going up there in the next few weeks, I'm probably going to go up this Friday and liberate it.

TT left a YJTB in my Dream State cache a few weeks ago,presumably as "bait" to get more cachers up there. ;-)

I hate to see it languishing there (plus I haven't found one yet), so unless someone is currently working on the puzzle and plans on going up there in the next few weeks, I'm probably going to go up this Friday and liberate it.

Don't do that QDMan. That's precisely why I left it there....to entice more cachers to work on it. If you just want to get the icon, please just log it and leave it.

--TT--

Someone has ripped off at least two Jeep travel bugs (a yellow and now a white).

White Jeep Travel Bug "Kenn"

Jeep 4x4 #2830

Music 101

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

AND WHAT CAN WE DO TO STOP IT?

I would like to see a white Jeep someday...but if people like this think that they can just take them, then I guess I never will.

The Jeep Co. asks of the Jeep TB's, "Log your visit, and move me to a new geocache! "

I understand some things are ok to keep...Mount10bike says if you want to keep one of his coins that is ok. However comma people still feel the need to hide them in disabled caches. If they want to keep one (as approved by the owner) then have the balls to say that you are keeping it and keep it in your name!

--- Edited by Admin to remove personal attack ---

Edited by SoCalAdmin

Don't do that QDMan. That's precisely why I left it there....to entice more cachers to work on it. If you just want to get the icon, please just log it and leave it.

--TT--

As you wish, TT. <_<

Just wondering if any of you know, a Geocaching Tool, by the name of "EMC of Northridge, CA"?

The POS has ripped off at least two Jeep travel bugs (a yellow and now a white).

Jeep 4x4 #2830

Music 101

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I would like to see a white Jeep someday...but if people like this think that they can just take them, then I guess I never will.

The Jeep Co. asks of the Jeep TB's, "Log your visit, and move me to a new geocache! "

I understand some things are ok to keep...Mount10bike says if you want to keep one of his coins that is ok.  However comma people still feel the need to hide them in disabled caches.  If they want to keep one (as approved by the owner) then have the balls to say that you are keeping it and keep it in your name!

I know what you mean. The jeep(visit link) that I asked politely for, was sent to me, and I put it into a cache disappeared in a puff of smoke. I've e-mailed Auendave several times with no answer. What can ya do?

D!

Edit: Actually, looks like he took two: (visit link)

Edited by Duscwé!

Well, I know Elin a little bit, and can say she's not a toolbox. A compulsive, mad, puzzle-bent power cacher, but not a toolbox.

But you're pretty much powerless to prevent people from holding onto these items for indefinite periods of time. The jeeps are becoming the new Moun10bike coins. Rare, collected, willing to be killed over. I can say that as for myself, I have been guilty of holding/hoarding YJTB's for longer than normal. I did have at one time 4 in my possession. I now have one. I gave one to redrox after FTFing a cache in Escondido; placed one in a cache in Honduras (since retrieved), and left the other in Dream State. Basically, I am to the point that I only want to give out YJTBs into caches that are so hard or remote (in the case of Honduras), that the average toolbox thief can't get their grubby little paws on them. Dream State sat unfound for a month, and I feel quite confident that the run-o-the-mill jeep thief can't....repeat CAN'T solve it. I recall I also dumped a Jeep off in a cache called Newman Peak (GCH0K2) after a six-hour climb up a mountain with no roads or trails. It's still there.

To be coveted...these jeeps must be earned the hard way.....physically or mentally. That being said...I really would like a white jeep <_<

Just my $0.02.

</rant>

--TT--

I suppose y'all have heard and probably suspect stories of animals that can sense the coming of an earthquake. Well you're in luck t'day 'cause I can tell y' that th' stories are plumb true.

Yep, that stuff is true.

Early Rodent Warning System:

Years ago, when I lived in Riverside, just before a quake hit, a gopher scurried out of her hole and tapped on my front window. <_<

Hey, keep that YJTB in Dream State as I am slowly working on it!

Super Job, ZATYCO, on 500 and 3 FTF today!!!

Someone has ripped off at least two Jeep travel bugs (a yellow and now a white).

Yeah, the whole TB thing can get you down if you let it. I have over 200 TB's and about half of them have been swiped by some tool. Do the math, and that's about $400+ of toys stolen. But, heh, they are just toys after all. And nobody forced me to buy any of them. I like to look at the other side of the human equation. I LOVE to get the message that goes something like this, "Hey, FlagMan, I'm sorry I've been holding on to your [fill in the blank] TB for so long. I found it in the bottom of my tent when we aired it out for the season, blah, blah, blah. We'll get it back into circulation as soon as possible." Or the message that goes like this, "Hey, is it OK if we take your [fill in the blank] TB to Timbuktu and leave it there? I know this may be far from its stated goal, but it would sure get some miles." I LOVE it when someone cares enough to contact the bug owner with a report or a request. Those messages make my day! <_<

So I just decided a long time ago to lighten up about these things. And I decided NOT to attach anything valuable (diamond ring/Rolex watch/etc) to a TB tag expecting it to last.....

I agree with Jeff, though, that the coolest bugs should trade in difficult caches as a true reward for solving something difficult or climbing something steep....

There was a time when there were Pirates lurking the area and they were very public about their intentions of stealing TB's (and caches, for that matter) and then holding them in brigs, etc. That fad lasted some six months or so, but most of the bugs were eventually recovered. There is some guys out there stealing bugs right now. Claims to have accumulated hundreds of them. Some sort of ambush might be warranted for these guiys. But the run of the mill cacher who just can't live without a toy jeep -- don't see as there is really any way to buck that trend.....

Last year while on vacation to kayak some lakes in northern California Sandy and I took in a county fair. While touring the crafts displays we were surprised to see a collection of Geocaching artifacts. Yep, you're right, the collection included several travel bugs. The collection won a blue ribbon by the way.

Tried but couldn't figure out whether the collector was in fact a Geocacher. Reviewing the related TB pages didn't produce any clue as to the collectors identity. Of course we were just passing through so we let the matter drop.

What is clear is that Geocaching travel bugs are becoming attractive to the type of people that collect things.

I have also noted that Geocaching items such as ready-to-go Geocaches of various sorts are being offered on eBay.

Finally there's that twisted group of individuals that refer to themselves as Geocache Pirates. Down where I come from we call their kind a bunch of thieves.

I truly worry that the Geocaching flagship is headed for the rocks. What with the growing tendency to carpet-bomb the countryside with pre-found, "bring your own pencil" micro caches and with the increasing number of Geocachers that play fast and loose with the intent of Geocaching the enjoyment is on decline in my view.

I am glad that I started Geocaching early on. There's already a "good old days" of Geocaching. A recent log entry for Aubrey's Cache remarked "It's nice to find a cache container that we could put something in."

Gosh, now I feel all better.

Harmon

Jeep 4x4 #2830

Music 101

WHAT DO YOU THINK?

I understand some things are ok to keep...Mount10bike says if you want to keep one of his coins that is ok. However comma people still feel the need to hide them in disabled caches. If they want to keep one (as approved by the owner) then have the balls to say that you are keeping it and keep it in your name!

--- Edited by Admin to remove personal attack ---

Well I know who that "someone" is but Admin removed that from my post....because it was a "personal attack". I e-mailed So. CA, No. CA. and the Jeep Co. with an attachment to the original forum post. I asked them what could be done? The only e-mail I have received was From So. CA Admin reprimanding me for my "personal attack", flagging my account...etc..

Over the last 3 months I have sent more than 10 e-mails to Admin… a few were about problems...most were about caches that I had offered to adopt (some missing, some in need of maintenance and the owner was MIA and some that were there but had been archived)...Not one of these e-mails were responded to. (and yes I did e-mail the cache owners first).

I know I don't always go about things in the best manor...I fly off half cocked...and rub some people the wrong way. I am truly sorry for that. My intentions were good and I was trying to help the sport.

Wow it's funny how I stared with the proof that "someone" was blatantly taking Jeeps and ended up the one in trouble.

What with the growing tendency to carpet-bomb the countryside with pre-found, "bring your own pencil" micro caches and with the increasing number of Geocachers that play fast and loose with the intent of Geocaching the enjoyment is on decline in my view.

A recent log entry for Aubrey's Cache remarked "It's nice to find a cache container that we could put something in."

Hear, Hear!!!!

What with the growing tendency to carpet-bomb the countryside with pre-found, "bring your own pencil" micro caches and with the increasing number of Geocachers that play fast and loose with the intent of Geocaching the enjoyment is on decline in my view.

A recent log entry for Aubrey's Cache remarked "It's nice to find a cache container that we could put something in."

Hear, Hear!!!!

Sorry guys but in my view there's nothing wrong with a long enjoyable hike that ends with a log only cache. I personally am a "log-only" kind of cacher. To me most of the trade items seemed geared for kids and that's OK, but I don't indulge. $kimmer is the smartest one of the bunch because she picks up all the money! Anyhow, my point is that there's room in the sport for all types!

Hear, Hear!!!!

Well said SD Rowdies.

Though I'm only in my infancy in Geocaches found I've truly come to love those catches that require hard work to obtain and allow yourself to share items and stories in the cache and logbook. One of my best experiences was last weekend when I took my 3 year old son on his first geocache hunt and to see his eyes light up at the sight of "toy swag" when I dumped out that ammo box, priceless. I rarely get the same rewarding feeling after finding a micro-cache in a parking lot of a strip mall.

This weekend I ran into D-Jollymon, Chuy and Duncan at Oakoasis. It was great to listen and share the enthusiasm, excitement, and "war" stories" for this sport as I do.

It's occasions like these that keep people like me coming back for more and not moving to the "Dark Side" aka. Geo-Pirate.

Cheers, PassingWind

I am glad that I started Geocaching early on. There's already a "good old days" of Geocaching. A recent log entry for Aubrey's Cache remarked "It's nice to find a cache container that we could put something in."

Harmon

I echo Harmon's fond recollection of the days when everyone knew everyone (Iron Chef, Yrium, Mark71Mark, etc), when we ALL knew where nearly ALL of the local caches were, and nearly every cache had some kind of special story or was placed in a special place. Of course, using a PYE (plain yellow Etrex) without a map or a PC-interface meant we were more hands on with nearly every aspect of caching. Carried around a lot of paper, too. Reaching #100 felt like quite a milestone - a strong indicator of true addiction. I still remember many of those caches, especially when I drive by one of those legacy sites or spot a mountain top way off in the distance that features/featured a cache. That said, caching is still a tremendously fun hobby, just different these days (I haven't seen a UCSC spoon for a very long time). It remains an exceptional way to enjoy the equivalent of guided tours - by locals - of new parts throughout our magnificent state, country, and world. And being able to share some of our secret spots, cultivated over a lifetime, is unbelievably rewarding.

Yes, a real ammo box or regular sized Tupperware is still a treat - especially one that takes us to a special place, requires some physical exertion, and provides photographic opportunities. Quality does matter (to Geckos).

Cache on.

-Gecko Dad

I received a very informative e-mail from "Hemlock"...here it is:

Date: Tuesday, June 14, 2005 12:42 PM

To: "David D. Rees" <gobolt@adelphia.net>

Don't hold your breath on Geocaching.com doing anything. While I tend to agree

with

you, the simple fact is people do steal TBs, especially the Jeeps. Like it or

not, they

have become collectors items. Jeep understands this. Geocaching.com understands

this.

While most people do the correct thing and log them and move them along, there

are

some that want to keep them. We can do what we can to discourage it, but it

cannot

be stopped.

As a reviewer, my job is to review caches. Nothing else. Travel bugs and logs

are

none of my business. And Geocaching.com is on record as saying they do nothing

about logs and TBs unless they are not family-friendly.

While I understand and sympathize with your frustration, please understand that

it is

likely that nothing will be done. That's the facts, Jack.

As far as your forum post, there are ways to draw attention to the problem

without

resorting to name-calling.

Your contributions to the sport are admirable, and I encourage you to continue,

but

unfortunately the Jeep TB issue is a battle that cannot be won.

Sincerely,

Hemlock

Harmon

I echo Harmon's fond recollection of the days when everyone knew everyone (Iron Chef, Yrium, Mark71Mark, etc), when we ALL knew where nearly ALL of the local caches were, and nearly every cache had some kind of special story or was placed in a special place. Of course, using a PYE (plain yellow Etrex) without a map or a PC-interface meant we were more hands on with nearly every aspect of caching. Carried around a lot of paper, too. Reaching #100 felt like quite a milestone - a strong indicator of true addiction. I still remember many of those caches, especially when I drive by one of those legacy sites or spot a mountain top way off in the distance that features/featured a cache. That said, caching is still a tremendously fun hobby, just different these days (I haven't seen a UCSC spoon for a very long time). It remains an exceptional way to enjoy the equivalent of guided tours - by locals - of new parts throughout our magnificent state, country, and world. And being able to share some of our secret spots, cultivated over a lifetime, is unbelievably rewarding.

Yes, a real ammo box or regular sized Tupperware is still a treat - especially one that takes us to a special place, requires some physical exertion, and provides photographic opportunities. Quality does matter (to Geckos).

Cache on.

-Gecko Dad

I agree. There are several factors that make a cache "special". So I've been pushing for a while to have Groundspeak setup a Favorite Cache System to allow us to share our favorites caches. This will undoubtedly raise the bar on the quality of caches as many cachers try to make better caches with the chance of being acknowledged by their peers for their efforts! :)

Edit: I'm sure that some Sandy Creek caches would be consensus favorites. I bet those Gecko Dad virtuals in Yosemite would be too. Many have enjoyed the TT and Flagman puzzle caches and I know many have enjoyed the cool Dan-oh and Drew 5.10 camo caches. I could go on and on but you see my point: there's all different types of caches that could be favorites!

Edited by TrailGators

To be coveted...these jeeps must be earned the hard way.....physically or mentally.

This is exactly what many of us in Southern Arizona have started doing. If we come across a Yellow Jeep, many of us have promised NOT to leave it in a roadside quickie. Out here, we place 'em on mountaintops or killer puzzle caches. There are 2 Yellow Jeeps in Tucson right now, but they must be earned.

We haven't seen the White Jeeps yet out here, but I intend to treat them the same way. Get em, log em, and put them back out in the wild where the next cacher's going to have to earn 'em, instead of some out of town yahoo cruising through and stealing it.

--Dave, The Cow Spots

Yikes, I touched off a debate. Sorry.

Guess I was being grumpy but this week I'm having to deal with an IRS claim that I owe them more money. The good news is that they are wrong and I proved it.

Anyway, with regard to my comments about carpet-bombing an area with pre-found micro caches, please allow me to explain.

First of all I completely appreciate and approve of the fact that teams are forming up that travel together and Geocache together. That's a really good thing. Fact is I have a grand time handling the webcam captures for such teams. Of course I do mess with their photos a bit before posting them. Wouldn't you?

Secondly I think it's terrific that paperless caching has come into play in a big way.

Finally I do enjoy keeping track of the high-achiever crowd that care a lot about their find count. My gosh, the entertainment I've gotten from watching $kimmer and Splashette's quest has been worth any price of admission. Keep going for it all of you.

So well, so there's this little thing that bothers me but I promise to keep my negative thoughts to myself from now on thank y' very much.

After all, one tiny little irritation doesn't detract in any way from the experience of being part of our local Geocaching community, of meeting many of you crazy Geocachers, and of smarting off as I do on these Forum threads.

In fact I just talked myself out of being bothered by anything at all. My return letter to the IRS is ready to post and so I'm smiling my ol' cowboy smile.

Thing is that any community of people such as we have become must and will accommodate different ponts of view. It's the spice of life.

Bottom line is that Carpenter from Hell and I are pulling out right now to place Cowboy Sixteen. It ain't a micro folks, it ain't a micro.

Harmon

Thing is that any community of people such as we have become must and will accommodate different ponts of view. It's the spice of life.

Bottom line is that Carpenter from Hell and I are pulling out right now to place Cowboy Sixteen. It ain't a micro folks, it ain't a micro.

Harmon

Harmon I know how you feel. I put my own foot in my own mouth several months back when I made a crack about finding ammo boxes stuck in bushes ten feet off a dirt road. Those kind of caches kind of took the challenge out of it for me so I blurted out my opinion in the forum and in the process unknowingly stomped on a bunch of toes. Of course that wasn't my intention.

Anyhow, to me caching is all about the hunt. Since I don't deer hunt anymore, caching fills that void. If you guys have never hunted, you'll never understand the thrill of the hunt. There is no way I can explain it! So in my case I could care less about the type of container (unless it is well-camoed like a Dan-oh type container - those types add to the hunt!) because finding the big, small or whatever sized container is the fun part for me. Signing my name is good enough because the web log is there to share the experience with all! BTW no hard feelings Harmon! My skin is much thicker than that except for my finger tip (inside joke).

I can't wait to find another Cowboy cache! YEE HAW! :)

Harmon

Harmon I know how you feel. I put my own foot in my own mouth several months back when I made a crack about finding ammo boxes stuck in bushes ten feet off a dirt road. Those kind of caches kind of took the challenge out of it for me so I blurted out my opinion in the forum and in the process unknowingly stomped on a bunch of toes. Of course that wasn't my intention.

Anyhow, to me caching is all about the hunt. Since I don't deer hunt anymore, caching fills that void. If you guys have never hunted, you'll never understand the thrill of the hunt. There is no way I can explain it! So in my case I could care less about the type of container (unless it is well-camoed like a Dan-oh type container - those types add to the hunt!) because finding the big, small or whatever sized container is the fun part for me. Signing my name is good enough because the web log is there to share the experience with all! BTW no hard feelings Harmon! My skin is much thicker than that except for my finger tip (inside joke).

I can't wait to find another Cowboy cache! YEE HAW! :)

Ouch on the inside joke.

Me? I'm cool.

Yikes, I touched off a debate. Sorry.

nothing wrong with debate....as long as it is civil, people will benefit from all points of view.

if i remember correctly there was a medical study on married couples that debated(argued) versus those that had little conflict....turns out those that had "arguements" more often stayed married than those who kept it all in.

so its in our best interests to debate...keeps ya heathly!

Edited by The Dillon Gang
One simple test for a memorable caching experience is how your children react to a find.  Smiles are a good measure.

-GD

Yes, Geocaching with little kids is an enriching experience. On the other hand Geocachig with really old people is pure entertainment.

"Little" is the key word! I have yet to meet any "big" kids that would go caching without begging or bribery. :) But Father's Day is coming up, so it's time to "cache" in with the big kids! :D

One simple test for a memorable caching experience is how your children react to a find.  Smiles are a good measure.

-GD

Yes, Geocaching with little kids is an enriching experience. On the other hand Geocachig with really old people is pure entertainment.

Actually, the "little" Geckos are pretty large. Groovy turns 20 next week. He's 6' 3", 228 lbs. Gecko Gurl turns 15 next month and is the more discriminating about "worthwhile" caches. They aren't on the trail with me very often but their smiles are genuine enough, under the right circumstances.

Can't speak to "old people". Afraid I don't know any - not who cache anyway. :)

-GD

-GD

Actually, the "little" Geckos are pretty large. Groovy turns 20 next week. He's 6' 3", 228 lbs. Gecko Gurl turns 15 next month and is the more discriminating about "worthwhile" caches. They aren't on the trail with me very often but their smiles are genuine enough, under the right circumstances.

Can't speak to "old people". Afraid I don't know any - not who cache anyway. :)

-GD

Sounds like Groovy could do Sandy Creek Cowboy cache #3 without the ladder! :D My daughter is 16 and is the only one of my three kids that will occassionally go caching with me (once every 3 months). You are a lucky man!

-GD

"Little" is the key word! I have yet to meet any "big" kids that would go caching without begging or bribery. :mad: But Father's Day is coming up, so it's time to "cache" in with the big kids! :D

TG, you haven't met my nephew. He likes to cache but doesn't get the opportunity unless I visit him or he visits me. His dad, my brother, also enjoys caching when we get together but still has yet to catch the bug enough to bother to spend some $$$ on a GPSr. My nephew keeps bugging dad for a GPSr but hasn't been sucessful yet. Anyhow, 'Big' kids that like caching do exist, although probably somewhat rare.

I'm very greatful that my son (9 years old) likes to go caching with me. The two of us have found over 200 caches together which is about 40 percent of my finds and 99.5 percent of his finds (he found a cache without me and without a GPSr once when on vacation :D ). He now logs his finds separately from me. I hope he stays with the game for as long as I do.

I just looked at that thing on the earthquake map and it's pretty scary to see a huge freaking sqaure right off the coast. Poor Crescent City was the town hit by the 1964 tsunami cause by the giant Valdez earthquake. This was no 8 or 9, but the surges might be pretty high in an hour. Any extreme surfers out there?

JuneEarthq.gif

Parsa