The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

ANNOUNCEMENT:

I hereby announce that I will be retiring from geocaching in San Diego, on or about July 1, 2005.

Puzzle haters, you may now open your champagne bottles.

That is all. 

--TT--

I thought maybe you were hitting the 5,000 mark and would call it quits at that point. Guess not. :P

They seem to know about a new job, hope its a good one for you.

I'm heading up to Reno on 395 with my two boys the last week of this month. Does anyone know where to get a list of waypoints that would be the best places to stop?

Obviously, I would stop at geocaches along the way, but since I'll have my two boys (who think geocaching is a geeky hobby) there's no way they gonna tolerate me stopping to geocaching more than a handful of times. However, if I only stop at the BEST places and there happens to be a geocache.....  :P

So what I really need is a short list of the best waypoints along 395, if anyone knows what those are or where to get them please let me know!

I would also be interest in knowing any "popular" caches that could be found on the way up the 395. I think I'll be heading up to Owens Valley and Mono Lake next week.

Got MapSource TOPO USA today....sweet.

Moving this up to this new page so it doesn't get overlooked! :P

ANNOUNCEMENT:

I hereby announce that I will be retiring from geocaching in San Diego, on or about July 1, 2005.

That is all.

--TT--

Good luck to you TT, don't forget to have fun in the Garden State.

So does this mean that you will pick up all of your caches and take them to New Jersey?

Matchmaker Pqmommy will now have to start a New Jersey dating game for you. I know a couple of NJ dames. Both of them can do that arm-pit-noise thang really well. They both say "Guys love it." Give that some thought, it's apparently a turn-on back there.

Cohen's Deli in Pasaic is to die for, try the pastrami sandwich. Pasaic is the home of Joe Piscapo. Oddly enough that deli is plastered with photos of the Hackensack Kid rather than Joe Piscapo. However if you are going into Jersey City do wear full body armor.

If you haven't spent time in the New York boroughs then there's a great book with hard-to-find information about "New York Neighborhoods." Of course the booth at Duffy Square is the place for night-of-performance bargain tickets.

The best part is that you can drive down to Princeton and see Einstein's little frame house at 112 Mercer Street when he spent his last days working at the Institute for Advanced Study. That's where the old guy kept atomic-bomb secrets in his basement on the sly. There's lots of photos of Albert sitting or standing on that porch.

So this amplifies the matter of of the next Geo-Picnic. It has to be scheduled so that you can attend before leaving San Diego.

Best wishes for your future,

Harmon and the other Sandy Creek Cowboys

70a04ea1-d1cd-4387-89d7-418234e5a750.jpg

112 Mercer Street, Princeton, New Jersey

ANNOUNCEMENT:

That is all.

--TT--

I hope I wasn't something I/we said! Bummer.... The place will never be the same again! Now, is there some way for us to warn those poor cachers in Jersey? :P

The actual facility I'm going to is in Somerset, NJ. About 45 minutes from NY and an hour from Philly. Fairly close to Princeton, actually. I've been to NY and Philly before and honestly, I prefer Philly. The more I can avoid the Holland Tunnel, the happier I'll be. But this is a win-win for me.

More pay + cheaper gas = more caches.

I'm not sure what to do with my caches yet. I think I would like to fire bomb the Jersey crowd with the ones I've created here...ya know...announce my presence with authority kind of thing. But I'd hate to leave a large vacuum here as well.

I may do with the ones here what I did with the one puzzle I created in NC. Find someone to take it over and adopt it (maybe change the name so I can take the names with me to NJ). That way at least you all can still find them, and the Jersey crowd won't pester you for hints. You know how pushy they can be.

I'll think about it some more.

HR in Jersey came out to our facility here in SD, and fired a bunch of people (rightly and happily so in my opinion). But what I didn't know was that they also were looking for folks for positions out there. They contacted me (and some others), interviewed me last Friday.

Honestly, it's gonna be sad to leave, but as Don Coreleone was wont to do, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I'm gonna stop now before I get all teary-eyed.

--TT--

I'm heading up to Reno on 395 with my two boys the last week of this month. Does anyone know where to get a list of waypoints that would be the best places to stop?

Obviously, I would stop at geocaches along the way, but since I'll have my two boys (who think geocaching is a geeky hobby) there's no way they gonna tolerate me stopping to geocaching more than a handful of times. However, if I only stop at the BEST places and there happens to be a geocache.....  :P

So what I really need is a short list of the best waypoints along 395, if anyone knows what those are or where to get them please let me know!

TrailGators,

I don't know where to get a list of waypoints, but I have done a little geocaching near Lone Pine and Rock Creek. The Alabama Hills is a pretty area with lots of places for kids to explore. I like the cache "Mavericks Hideout" in the Alabama Hills. Also, there is a virtual cache North of there along 395 called "Earthquake Memorial" that is quick and easy.

I like the website www.395.com and you might be able to find a link to waypoints there. Good luck and happy driving! Nat

ANNOUNCEMENT:

That is all. 

--TT--

Champagne bottle is opened.... POP!!!

Unfortunately you will have to leave those cache's behind, so they will still be on my list (sigh).

Hope you do well wherever you end up!

Todd and Marie

Congrats on everyones milestones. Sorry to hear someone is leaving the area!!!! Cold over there.

I was wondering if anyone wanted to join me in doing the pines to Palms and palms to Pines, as much as can be done on Friday. If so please message by 3pm Thursday (tomorrow) so we can set up a meeting point. I have a whole 37 to my name so you would be going with a beginner.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

That is all.

--TT--

Oh no Jeff! NOW how will I EVER catch you?

Hope this is something you want and that you learn to LIKE New Jersey. Believe me it IS a come down from Southern California. On the other hand, think of all the caches waiting there for you to find and add to your score.

We will miss you!

Later,

$kimmer (& The Vulture)

ANNOUNCEMENT:

That is all.

--TT--

TT-

I checked the calendar first. It's not April 1. So...this isn't a joke.

Best of luck to you. I for one will miss your puzzles, interesting hides, and fun stories. Remember, even those who retire return every once in awhile to spend some time with the poor working stiffs that were left behind.

I do hope you come back to visit as I will have two puzzles coming out soon. Both with you in mind. Unfortunately, I doubt I will deploy them before you leave as much of my month will be spent in NJ and Boston, only returning slightly before you leave. I do hope that whatever GC event that is thrown for your going away wont be held until atleast the 27th. :P

ANNOUNCEMENT:

That is all. 

--TT--

Sorry to hear you are leaving us...Say it ain't so!!!:P

Good luck out there :P We'll be watchin' ya!

I'm not sure what to do with my caches yet.  I think I would like to fire bomb the Jersey crowd with the ones I've created here...ya know...announce my presence with authority kind of thing.  But I'd hate to leave a large vacuum here as well.

I may do with the ones here what I did with the one puzzle I created in NC.  Find someone to take it over and adopt it (maybe change the name so I can take the names with me to NJ).  That way at least you all can still find them, and the Jersey crowd won't pester you for hints.  You know how pushy they can be. 

I'll think about it some more. 

--TT--

About your hides out here... We are sure there are many of us who would be pleased to check on the occasional ammo can or whatever to ensure that they stay active! There are still plenty of interested hunters!!

Just to start the ball rolling, we would be more than happy to start checking on some of them right away...if you want to send us the coords to Spam Haiku and Punkte und Spuren and we will go check on them immediately! :blink::P

~Jess

I don't know the waypoints . . . just got home from a long day of Geocaching with Princess Toadstool . . . but one place you just have to stop is in the Alabama Hills west of Lonepine. It is BLM land and lots and lots of movies and old TV shows were filmed there. The Whitney Restaurant in town has a little guide for the Movie Road and other trails where you can walk to the scenes from old movies.

The area is very, very cool. There is a campground in Lonepine called Portugee Joe's, another for free on BLM land called Tuttle Creek.

AlabamaHills__243.jpg

There is rock-hopping and hiking and climbing -- and I bet Geocaching on the Public Lands -- that should make everybody happy. :P

About your hides out here...  We are sure there are many of us who would be pleased to check on the occasional ammo can or whatever to ensure that they stay active!  There are still plenty of interested hunters!! 

Forget the caches ....Is there any way I can get that licence plate signed over to me? :P

There are a few caches I too would be willing to take over..especially those I haven't solved yet! :P

Jeff- We will truly miss you!!

if you want to send us the coords to Spam Haiku and Punkte und Spuren and we will go check on them immediately!

We are there with John and Jess on this one. Your orphaned cache's must be cared for properly! Now of course someone will have to come up with the TT Memorial Cache Series. Just a few minor puzzle cache's involving vector math, pictograms, chemical encoding algorithims, triple ultra-secret encoded ciphers, moving TB's, ultra micro double camoflauged containers, all based on quadrouple relational databases. And of course no trading, just TNLNSL.

Also, we should make July TNLNSL month, in tribute to our missing legendary cacher.

Good luck Jeff!

Todd and Marie

Obviously, I would stop at geocaches along the way, but since I'll have my two boys (who think geocaching is a geeky hobby) there's no way they gonna tolerate me stopping to geocaching more than a handful of times. However, if I only stop at the BEST places and there happens to be a geocache.....  :lol:

I don't know the waypoints . . . just got home from a long day of Geocaching with Princess Toadstool . . . but one place you just have to stop is in the Alabama Hills west of Lonepine. It is BLM land and lots and lots of movies and old TV shows were filmed there. The Whitney Restaurant in town has a little guide for the Movie Road and other trails where you can walk to the scenes from old movies.

The area is very, very cool. There is a campground in Lonepine called Portugee Joe's, another for free on BLM land called Tuttle Creek.

AlabamaHills__243.jpg

There is rock-hopping and hiking and climbing -- and I bet Geocaching on the Public Lands -- that should make everybody happy. B)

Wow! That is cool! Thanks Idiosyncratic and Nat for your suggestions. Now I just need to convert those suggestions into coordinates! :lol:

Just to start the ball rolling, we would be more than happy to start checking on some of them right away...if you want to send us the coords to Spam Haiku and Punkte und Spuren and we will go check on them immediately! :lol:B)

~Jess

I KNOW the coords to Spam Haiku and there is NO WAY I'm going back there! :lol:

Thought I heard something last night......OUCH !! Hope it wasn't a cacher.

Thursday, June 9, 2005

Last modified Wednesday, June 8, 2005 11:21 PM PDT

Injured hiker airlifted to safety

By: North County Times

RAMONA ---- A military helicopter with assistance from a sheriff's department helicopter crew located and airlifted an injured hiker to safety, sheriff's Lt. Tim Curran said.

Someone called 911 about 7:40 p.m. to report that a hiker had apparently broken his leg while in the Cedar Creek Falls area and needed help to get out, Curran said.

A helicopter crew found the hiker but had to land and hike in to get to him, he said.

A military helicopter had also been sent to the scene, and the sheriff's helicopter crew ended up helping the man to that helicopter about 9:28 p.m., Curran said.

The man was taken to the Ramona Airport and then transported by local firefighters to a hospital for evaluation and treatment, he said.

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/06/09...05_576_8_05.prt

if you want to send us the coords to Spam Haiku and Punkte und Spuren and we will go check on them immediately!

We are there with John and Jess on this one. Your orphaned cache's must be cared for properly! Also, we should make July TNLNSL month, in tribute to our missing legendary cacher.

Good luck Jeff!

Todd and Marie

Baloney!

Let's have a picnic bonfire and burn them suckers with ol' TT burned at th' stake in th' middle of it.

Hey, it was good enough for Joan of Arc so why not TT? Let's not get all slobbery about that mysterious varmit leaving paradise.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

7fb71f3c-0f15-4859-affd-309e7ef1653b.jpg

T' be honest we like ol' TT. Really we do.

Edited by SD Rowdies
ANNOUNCEMENT:

That is all. 

--TT--

I thought maybe you were hitting the 5,000 mark and would call it quits at that point. Guess not. :lol:

They seem to know about a new job, hope its a good one for you.

Sheesh, at a loss for words here...

We won't break out the champagne because we don't like puzzle caches,

it's just that we are 'puzzle-challenged' cachers.

You have made quite an impact on the local caching scene Jeff, and for that , you will be well remembered, as well as for being a really nice guy!

It won't be the same without you hot on our tails doing caches and getting closer and closer. With all of the new caches in NJ, I'm sure it won't be long before you blow by us in caches found. That being said, it's not about the numbers!!!!!

We wish you happiness!!!

Splashman & Splashette

Let's not get all slobbery about that mysterious varmit leaving paradise.

We're still celabrating the loss of evil puzzle cache's here! "POP".... there goes another bottle of champagne! No slobbery teary eyes here for that. I already know way to much about DNA, chess puts me to sleep, deciphering pictograms brings about dizziness and nausea (wait... that might be the champagne), Seinfeld trivia is not my cup of tea, and the one time I went after one of his cache's... he had removed it for maintenance the day before :lol: (sigh).

Good luck in NJ Jeff. At least you'll be within driving distance of Rhode Island, and you'll be able to clear an entire state. The last time I was in Philly it looked like this:

philly.jpg

What's that white stuff on the ground? And yes that guy is armed! :lol:

:lol:B):D:D

Jeff I am sorry to see you go...You were one of our first Geocaching friends...we will miss you.

On the other hand, I can start getting FTF's again. I got one today and it was closer to Jeff's house than mine! I think he was packing.

Yes! the long drought is over...I had 21 FTF's in my first 2 1/2 months and my last FTF was 15 April 2005 the day before I was married...My first FTF in 2 months.

Well I guess the honeymoon is over. :lol:

We need to have a going away party for Jeff...like a Roast and Toast at the Pub.

B)B)B)B)

If it wasn't for stumbling over Jeff while out trying to find a cache, we would have given up on this obsession.

We were about a quarter mile off, hiking back to our car, when we came across a suspicious-looking character. Hubby asked if he was caching. Yes. Well, can you help US? He set up our GPSr right and we've been caching ever since.

I guess I'm going to have to get up early to finally supersize it. And then hit UCSD for the master.

:lol: As far as the picnic/going away partygoes, Sundays are good. Otherwise, I'm off the 25th. Lets not have it after he leaves! (On second thought.... :lol: )

B)B) We're going to miss you, TT, even if we couldn't figure out 1/2 of your caches!

ANNOUNCEMENT:

That is all. 

--TT--

I don't hate puzzles; I just can't solve them as quickly as Flagman or John/Jess or PQcachers or Sliderule or Gobolt or The Dillon Gang or Duscwe! or [insert any cacher here] ..... :huh:

You will leave from sight but not from our hearts and minds.

Cya.

Edited by Chuy
The actual facility I'm going to is in Somerset, NJ. About 45 minutes from NY and an hour from Philly. Fairly close to Princeton,

Whoo-hoo!

Let me be the first to welcome you to NJ. "Bring it on!"

I do believe you have a little unfinished business out here anyway. :huh:

SD's loss is Central Jersey's gain! We're looking foward to it.

See you soon!

Hey, TT- Sorry to hear you are leaving SD. We will all miss you, but you will always be remembered. Hopefully your caches will live on. I may never get them all, but it would be nice to have them around. Looks like you already have some friends over there. I am sure they will welcome you as we did. Keep in touch - See you at an event soon. If nothing else, how about an event at The Blarney Stone and hear Tony Cummins!??

Enjoy!

Edited by kawikaturn
The actual facility I'm going to is in Somerset, NJ.  About 45 minutes from NY and an hour from Philly.  Fairly close to Princeton,

Whoo-hoo! Let me be the first to welcome you to NJ. "Bring it on!" I do believe you have a little unfinished business out here anyway. :huh: SD's loss is Central Jersey's gain! We're looking foward to it. See you soon!

Six months in the Garden State, look at him now. Don't forget your red Swingline TT.

b828a0f5-5e8b-45a0-a46e-5a2163753f60.jpg

Y' know, TT, I have this feeling that you are going to fit right in back there.

2dd35a47-e9f5-412e-b25b-71ca3baeba84.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies

Obviously, I would stop at geocaches along the way, but since I'll have my two boys (who think geocaching is a geeky hobby) there's no way they gonna tolerate me stopping to geocaching more than a handful of times. However, if I only stop at the BEST places and there happens to be a geocache..... :huh:

The Alabama Hills area west of Lone Pine is quite spectacular. It was once used by Hollywood for filming westerns. Head east west on Whitney Portal Road and then follow your GPSr to posted caches.

There are also a couple of virtuals at Manzanar. Ours is GC82E0

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...13-788be2d08647

Try running a Pocket Query on zip code for Lone Pine = 93545

There are a bunch around the Mammoth Lakes area, too.

One of my favorites on the drive up is to hike to and around the Lava Falls near Little Lake/Coso Junction (you actually take Cinder Road off 395). Here are some photos from an old log of mine at that site:

Fossil Falls (8/8/2002)

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cachelog_de...=89278&L=512241

Enjoy.

-Gecko Dad

Head east west on Whitney Portal Road and then follow your GPSr to posted caches.

oops ... make that west. Good trails both north and south of Whitney Portal Road on both the east and west sides of the Alabama Hills. There is nice camping at Whitney Portal Campground early in the season or midweek. More alpine than the lower elevation camping and stocked with trout, too.

-GD

Head east west on Whitney Portal Road and then follow your GPSr to posted caches.

oops ... make that west. Good trails both north and south of Whitney Portal Road on both the east and west sides of the Alabama Hills. There is nice camping at Whitney Portal Campground early in the season or midweek. More alpine than the lower elevation camping and stocked with trout, too.

-GD

Thanks Gecko Dad! I'm starting to see the makings of a good trip here. So I will definitely check out the Alabama Hills! Now I have stops at the Alabama Hills, Yosemite, and Lake Tahoe. I still need to make it to Reno for my daughter's Volleyball tournament by mid week so we won't have a ton of time to hang at each spot. I'll try to save the best waypoints so I can share them with others that might make a similar trip someday!

Thanks Gecko Dad! I'm starting to see the makings of a good trip here. So I will definitely check out the Alabama Hills! Now I have stops at the Alabama Hills, Yosemite, and Lake Tahoe. I still need to make it to Reno for my daughter's Volleyball tournament by mid week so we won't have a ton of time to hang at each spot. I'll try to save the best waypoints so I can share them with others that might make a similar trip someday!

TG-

If you get over to Yosemite Valley, there are a number of world class scenic have virtuals you might sample. We have several as well. Here is a sampler of ours:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...48-23b678247e45

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f1-dec4db46dbaf

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2a-570c5c35a903

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ff-b1804bf25fe2

If you run a Pocket Query around any of these, you should find something to suit your time and interests.

-GD

TG-

If you get over to Yosemite Valley, there are a number of world class scenic have virtuals you might sample. We have several as well. Here is a sampler of ours:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...48-23b678247e45

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f1-dec4db46dbaf

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2a-570c5c35a903

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ff-b1804bf25fe2

If you run a Pocket Query around any of these, you should find something to suit your time and interests.

-GD

Thanks GD! Virtuals are perfect because I can keep my caching clandestine! I'll tell my two boys that I am using my geepus to locate the coordinates of the best spots. I'll even promise them that I won't sign a logbook just to prove that I'm not caching! :P

QUOTE (TucsonThompsen @ Jun 8 2005, 02:55 PM)

ANNOUNCEMENT:

That is all. 

--TT-- 

We only met you once, on a rainy evening at Me-luh-LOO-kuh, but San Diego won't seem the same without you. Best of luck in Joisey.

:laughing:  :laughing:  :antenna:

I would like to congratulate Duscwé! (Duncan) on 1800 caches and 100+ in the last week.  Bravo Zulu!

:antenna:  :antenna:  :antenna:

WooooHoooooo!! Go get 'em, Duncan!

Thanks guys! :laughing:

I took several days at my Dad's cabin near Lake Arrowhead and went crazy. Funny, I saw TR Violin's sig at a cache in San Bernardino. So? It was the same morning! That man has got to get a cell phone!

I won't tell you the story of my jeep getting stuck in some deep sand and having to shell out 200 clams to get it unstuck...uh...I guess I just did. I had it in such a bad spot I didn't think they could get it out, but they did. Hazards of caching I guess. So when's the big party? I'll need to get more champagne.

D!

Champagne? Is that to send TT off? Or to celebrate? Or just because you love :antenna: us so & want to share. :laughing::laughing:

I went out & grabbed another TT cache today after work. B):antenna::antenna: Gotta get them while we still can. (I don't think we'll ever get all of them. :antenna::laughing: )

A little from column A and a little from column B.

D!

Anyone have their caching disturbed by the quake we've just had? Up near Anza, 5.6 magnitude, at 8.41 local time. We felt it quite nicely down here in Mission Bay, hope everyone's OK!

We felt it here in Carlsbad. I would hate to have been in the Arroyo Tapiado mud caves! RM