The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

A BIG CONGRATULATIONS TO MR. THE VULTURE ON HIS 1000th FIND !!!!!

:rolleyes: WE PERSONALLY KNOW HOW MUCH FUN YOU HAVE HAD FINDING THEM.

AND...........DID WE MENTION THOSE AMAZING LOGS YOU WRITE?????

NOT BAD FOR A WEENIE.........

DILLION GANG, CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU ON YOUR 1000th.

JUST SEEMS LIKE YESTERDAY, HUH??

THE SPLASHES !!

Is there still a G.I. Joe's downtown near Horton Plaza? (The address listed is 544 6th Ave. We got some nifty camo spraypaint there a while back, as well as ammo cans.) I think there's also one in Encinitas now.

That's where I get mine. IIRC, it's $4.95 for a standard size can.

Is there still a G.I. Joe's downtown near Horton Plaza?  (The address listed is 544 6th Ave.  We got some nifty camo spraypaint there a while back, as well as ammo cans.)  I think there's also one in Encinitas now.

Wait a minute! Cammo spraypaint! Does it come out all green and black and tan when you spray it?!? How does THAT work?!? Must be like Tim using a roller to paint the plaid from Al's shirt on Tool Time......

Edited by FlagMan
Say, did I mention how Texans fish?

Does it involve lighting a fuse? <_<:rolleyes:

Reminds me of a joke -- puchline, "So kid, you gunna talk or you gunna fish!"

An oldie but a goodie!

How about this quote: "Did ya use enough dynamite thar' Butch?"

Shore nuff, it's a dynamite technique. Thang is y' just walk along th' bank an' pick 'em up several at a time. For convenience just train y'r ol' 'coon dawg t' fetch 'em when they come down.

Y'all will be pleased t' know that this is where th' phrase "rainin' cat's and dawgs" comes from. What most people don't understand is that th' phrase actually refers to catfish and 'coon dawgs.

Actually I surprised to see so many of y'all take an honest interest in Texas-style fishin'. As a favor I've decided t' fill y' in on a few facts about Lone Star fishin'.

Texans honor th' "catch and release" concept but the phrase means somethin' different in th' Lone Star State.

If you field a fish while it's still in th' air after th' explosion then that's called a "catch."

If you let go of the dynamite stick as y' try t' th'ow it into th' creek then that's called a "release." Failure t' release is the main reason that a lot of Texas fishermen don't have an opposable thumb on their th'owin' hand.

Here's a tip, th' best fish will be found on the bank nearest the explosion. Think about it, already scaled and skinned, already filleted, no bones t' speak of, and a faint after-taste of Nitroglycerin. Mmm, good.

Edited by SD Rowdies

The Things I Learned From a Gecko!

• 9f8567b5-0a17-40bc-8923-02a0b9614c65.jpg

• Geckos are really fast!
  • Always wear 2 pairs of socks when hiking (prevents blisters)
  • There's always time for pictures
  • Nature is for enjoying....then leaving it the same for someone else to enjoy
  • Geckos adapt well to heat....even if its a dry heat
  • Even with a busted knee cap, a gecko can out run an outlaw
  • Geckos distain car caching, but are willing to compromise

Thanks again Gecko Dad for joining me on a wonderful adventure. The company was great! What a team!

Congrats to Gecko Dad on his 2000 , Team Dillon on their 1000 and Trailgator on his 700,and thank you all for your kind acknowledgements of my reaching 1000 caches.

The Vulture

PS.As many of you know I arrived at this number KICKING an SCREAMING. The $kimmer who you may or may not know is just a I LITTLE on the compulsive side and feels I need to care about the numbers. I keep telling her it's not about the numbers it's about the experience and she says ya ya just keep moving we're burning day light.

Congrats to Gecko Dad on his 2000 , Team Dillon on their 1000 and Trailgator on his 700,and thank you all for your kind acknowledgements of my reaching 1000 caches.

The Vulture

PS.As many of you know I arrived at this number KICKING an SCREAMING.  The $kimmer who you may or may not know is just a I LITTLE on the compulsive side and feels I need to care about the numbers.  I keep telling her it's not about the numbers it's about the experience and she says ya ya just keep moving we're burning day light.

You are lucky to have such a devoted "Motivator" to go caching with! I cache alone and have just now, after almost 4 1/2 years of caching, topped 220.

Jim

The Vulture

PS.As many of you know I arrived at this number KICKING an SCREAMING. The $kimmer who you may or may not know is just a I LITTLE on the compulsive side and feels I need to care about the numbers. I keep telling her it's not about the numbers it's about the experience and she says ya ya just keep moving we're burning day light.

My question is:

Who wrote THIS?????????????

The WJTB's are out!

How big is it?? Is that it next to one of the original YJTBs? People will have a hard time fitting them in anything other than an ammo can or bigger if so!

Yes, that's it! It is quite a bit bigger than the YJTB. I guess we'll be hiking more to find these WJTBs in the larger cache containers!

The WJTB's are out!

How big is it?? Is that it next to one of the original YJTBs? People will have a hard time fitting them in anything other than an ammo can or bigger if so!

I think next year's Jeep TB will be a full-sized Jeep with the license plate being the TB tag. You have to put your cache in the Jeep! :(

But seriously, I think it would be cool if they had a contest where they have a some actual Jeeps drive around. The Jeeps would periodically post their latest coords. Cachers would find the Jeep, sign a log. The person with the most logs wins the Jeep! :o

Kiwimom is taking me to New Zealand to go caching. :o She thinks it is for visiting and sightseeing; I’ll be caching; primarily in Christchurch, but we should get to Dunedin, Queenstown, Rotorua and Auckland. If anyone knows of travel bugs that need a ride, let me know. Rancho Bernardo TB Exchange and airport TB Hotel are handy for me to retrieve bugs. I can pick them up until 18 Jun.

Hi,

Sumrall and I have two extra tickets to tonight’s Padres game...

The Padres are playing the Cleveland Indians @ 7:05.

The only bad news is that one of the seats is next to our seats ant the other is two rows in front. So if you would like one or both call me @ 619-206-3366.

Thanks, Dave

Hi,

The only bad news is that one of the seats is next to our seats ant the other is two rows in front. So if you would like one or both call me @ 619-206-3366.

Thanks, Dave

OK Jeff has taken the one with us...

The one two rows in front is still available...

Hi,

The only bad news is that one of the seats is next to our seats ant the other is two rows in front.  So if you would like one or both call me @ 619-206-3366.

Thanks, Dave

GoBolt, I'd love to go but I have to pickup my in-laws at the airport tonight.....Say! I wonder if they'd mind sitting in the parking lot for a few hours? :o

Hi,

The only bad news is that one of the seats is next to our seats ant the other is two rows in front.  So if you would like one or both call me @ 619-206-3366.

Thanks, Dave

GoBolt, I'd love to go but I have to pickup my in-laws at the airport tonight.....Say! I wonder if they'd mind sitting in the parking lot for a few hours? :o

Can't they just walk over and meet you in the parking lot?

Can't they just walk over and meet you in the parking lot?

It would take my mother-in-law several hours to walk that far and then I'd never hear the end of it....."You mean you made my mother and father walk to the ballpark from the airport with all that luggage!...blah bla blah!..." Nah.....I better pass this time! :o

People often ask me, "What keeps you motivated to keep making those darned puzzles, TT?"

Answer: Conversations like the following IM between Dr. Boggis and bitmap:

Boggis (10:21:49 AM): tony, have you see TT's new one?

bitmap (10:21:56 AM): I have.

Boggis (10:22:04 AM): you getting anywhere?

bitmap (10:22:30 AM): Done some research, but not

any closer to solution.

( a little while later....)

bitmap (10:48:23 AM): don't see the "11" of the 117 pattern...

bitmap (10:48:46 AM): we only have 1/2 of this...typical TT.

Boggis (10:48:53 AM): yep!

Boggis (10:48:55 AM): evil man!

( a glimmer of insight.... Eureka!)

bitmap (11:14:10 AM): wait a second...

bitmap (11:14:36 AM): hahahaha

bitmap (11:14:38 AM): got it.

(tony lets boggis in on the secret.....)

Boggis (11:23:28 AM): ah, right!

Boggis (11:23:31 AM): sneaky bastard!

---------------------------------------------------------

It warms the cockles of my heart to be thought of in such a way. :o:(

Hi,

Thanks, Dave

I would take it, but I have an early rendezvous with Princess Toadstool the next morning to go caching . . .

Look for more red dots in the area of Ramona and Julian to appear on this map after our day up there. :o

SanDiegoFinds1.gif

Anyone know what the trail/road is like on the Bear Valley Loop? I'm hoping to mountain bike it this weekend for a grand caching adventure, but not if it's completely sandy so's I'd be pushing the whole time. Last time I hopped off to push on a sandy trail I almost stepped on a rattlesnake! Guess if it's a bad trail I'll have to resort to finishing those last few SCCC caches.... Harmon, is it hot enough to fry eggs on the gpsr out there yet?

Princess Toadstool and I drove her P.T. Cruiser over the road a few weeks ago.

The road was newly graded, otherwise her car could never have made it.

Another friend and I took his van over the road ten days ago. There are some very steep hills at each end, but the road is not sandy, just rocky.

The weather has been nice out in the East County so far. Low eighties on Sunday up the Old Burma Road, high 70's today in east Jamul (2445' elevation). :)

The Vulture

PS.As many of you know I arrived at this number KICKING an SCREAMING.  The $kimmer who you may or may not know is just a I LITTLE on the compulsive side and feels I need to care about the numbers.  I keep telling her it's not about the numbers it's about the experience and she says ya ya just keep moving we're burning day light.

My question is:

Hey Nighthunter:

Believe it or not, The Vulture DID write his own missive here. Now he's hooked on all this gossip.

But he does say, "He's seen my last message."

Later

Anyone know what the trail/road is like on the Bear Valley Loop?  I'm hoping to mountain bike it this weekend for a grand caching adventure, but not if it's completely sandy so's I'd be pushing the whole time.  Last time I hopped off to push on a sandy trail I almost stepped on a rattlesnake!  Guess if it's a bad trail I'll have to resort to finishing those last few SCCC caches....  Harmon, is it hot enough to fry eggs on the gpsr out there yet?

Iodine,

No, it has been surprisingly decent for this time of year. Worst days have been like 85-F. Besides we are definitely ready to place cowboy-cache number sixteen so's we can get busy on fifteen.

Besides, if y get hot and sweaty then drop in to the ranch and we'll throw you into the pond with the catfish and geese.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

The Vulture

My question is:

Hey Nighthunter:

Believe it or not, The Vulture DID write his own missive here. Now he's hooked on all this gossip.

But he does say, "He's seen my last message."

Later

Who taught The Vuture t' write? Couldn't be you $kimmer, you haven't been home.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
I think next year's Jeep TB will be a full-sized Jeep with the license plate being the TB tag. You have to put your cache in the Jeep! :D

But seriously, I think it would be cool if they had a contest where they have a some actual Jeeps drive around. The Jeeps would periodically post their latest coords. Cachers would find the Jeep, sign a log. The person with the most logs wins the Jeep!  :)

Sounds like my jeep TB... 1:1 scale working model... visits cache's... a log you can sign... etc... But I'm not giving it away. It was difficult enough getting it back from the chop shop in TJ that TT sold it to when he grabbed it from me. I do believe it will possibly be visiting some SCC cache's in the coming weeks. After a warm up run to Mt. Palomar on the Nate Harrison Grade, it has been begging me to visit the Sandy Creek Ranch area.

I would take it, but I have an early rendezvous with Princess Toadstool the next morning to go caching . . .

Look for more red dots in the area of Ramona and Julian to appear on this map after our day up there. :)

Hmm, it's annoying that you can't link to those keenpeople.com maps straight into the forums here. I suppose I'll have to look into getting some webspace so I can store things like that. (It worked on my blog, but the forums don't allow "dynamic" img URLs to be posted.)

Edited by Dr. Boggis
I think next year's Jeep TB will be a full-sized Jeep with the license plate being the TB tag. You have to put your cache in the Jeep! :D

But seriously, I think it would be cool if they had a contest where they have a some actual Jeeps drive around. The Jeeps would periodically post their latest coords. Cachers would find the Jeep, sign a log. The person with the most logs wins the Jeep!  :)

Sounds like my jeep TB... 1:1 scale working model... visits cache's... a log you can sign... etc... But I'm not giving it away. It was difficult enough getting it back from the chop shop in TJ that TT sold it to when he grabbed it from me. I do believe it will possibly be visiting some SCC cache's in the coming weeks. After a warm up run to Mt. Palomar on the Nate Harrison Grade, it has been begging me to visit the Sandy Creek Ranch area.

Don't run over Iodine near the ranch. She'll be riding her crotch-carriage.

I'm heading up to Reno on 395 with my two boys the last week of this month. Does anyone know where to get a list of waypoints that would be the best places to stop?

Obviously, I would stop at geocaches along the way, but since I'll have my two boys (who think geocaching is a geeky hobby) there's no way they gonna tolerate me stopping to geocaching more than a handful of times. However, if I only stop at the BEST places and there happens to be a geocache..... :)

So what I really need is a short list of the best waypoints along 395, if anyone knows what those are or where to get them please let me know!

I'm heading up to Reno on 395 with my two boys the last week of this month. Does anyone know where to get a list of waypoints that would be the best places to stop?

Obviously, I would stop at geocaches along the way, but since I'll have my two boys (who think geocaching is a geeky hobby) there's no way they gonna tolerate me stopping to geocaching more than a handful of times. However, if I only stop at the BEST places and there happens to be a geocache..... :P

So what I really need is a short list of the best waypoints along 395, if anyone knows what those are or where to get them please let me know!

I would also be interest in knowing any "popular" caches that could be found on the way up the 395. I think I'll be heading up to Owens Valley and Mono Lake next week.

Got MapSource TOPO USA today....sweet.

ANNOUNCEMENT:

I hereby announce that I will be retiring from geocaching in San Diego, on or about July 1, 2005.

And you'd just got those smashing new licence plates too. Wonder if the same one's available in NJ? Hope the move goes smoothly Jeff.

Edited by Dr. Boggis
ANNOUNCEMENT:

I hereby announce that I will be retiring from geocaching in San Diego, on or about July 1, 2005.

Puzzle haters, you may now open your champagne bottles.

That is all. 

--TT--

Hey at least NJ is better than Alabama! Sorry to see you go Jeff! I won't be drinking any champagne because I as one of the ones that liked doing those puzzles!

ANNOUNCEMENT:

Puzzle haters, you may now open your champagne bottles.

That is all. 

--TT--

Hey at least NJ is better than Alabama! Sorry to see you go Jeff! I won't be drinking any champagne because I as one of the ones that liked doing those puzzles!

Congrats on the new gig Jeff!!!