Radical Geezer

eporkchop

beeque

livingrttoo

Zar

wolflogic

nemethmik

Commander Cache

Anyone got the stories on their disappearances.. Or is it just like Jimmy Hoffa? An unsolvable mystery?

--TT--

I ran into Vagabond at the SoCal Geocacher's picnic last year. I think he lives in the Elsinore area now.

Sorry for giving you all a scare. I am not DOA or MIA I was just taking some time to do some indoor caching :o

I will be back in the swing of things soon...I am in withdrawal...after picking up 100 caches a month in my first 3 months...I had not had a California cache in over a month :) However comma we did manage to pick up some caches in: Florida, Oklahoma, The Bahamas, Cozumel Mexico and The Cayman Islands. So all in all I would not trade the time off for all the puzzle caches in the world...However I am willing to talk if you throw in a Mount10Bike coin. :(

Sorry for giving you all a scare.  I am not DOA or MIA I was just taking some time to do some indoor caching    :(

I will be back in the swing of things soon...I am in withdrawal...after picking up 100 caches a month in my first 3 months...I had not had a California cache in over a month    :o  However comma we did manage to pick up some caches in:  Florida, Oklahoma, The Bahamas, Cozumel Mexico and The Cayman Islands.  So all in all I would not trade the time off for all the puzzle caches in the world...However I am willing to talk if you throw in a Mount10Bike coin.  ;)

Great...the other FTF hound is back. :)

OK folks, we gotta badger and nag D-Jollymon to set up his first hide already.

He's been talking about it, like forever.

I think he's looking for the perfect spot.  That, or he's too busy running out the door to score an FTF - which I can relate to :o .

C'mon dude, just put it somewhere.  :)

OK, OK, OK...cache has been placed and is awaiting approval!!!

This seems like a good thread to introduce ourselves....Greetings from Pioneer 'n' Tiff.

We're VERY new to the game. Pioneer is an native Queenslander from Australia, who thought that the best place in the world to be...was right beside Tiff. Tiff; a life time resident of San Diego, thought his accent was kinda cute...and agreed to marry him earlier this year.

Pioneer is an Australian representative at sailing and Tiff loves to knit...but we didn't have a joint interest. Tiff, being the major "toy collector" of the two, thoguht this would be a great adventure and something to take with us as we enjoyed the outdoors either camping or RV-ing. Being the dutiful husband...Pioneer agreed. And thus we have started out ONLY this weekend as we start to geocache across many continents.

See you on the hunt. :)

This seems like a good thread to introduce ourselves....Greetings from Pioneer 'n' Tiff.

We're VERY new to the game. Pioneer is an native Queenslander from Australia, who thought that the best place in the world to be...was right beside Tiff. Tiff; a life time resident of San Diego, thought his accent was kinda cute...and agreed to marry him earlier this year.

Pioneer is an Australian representative at sailing and Tiff loves to knit...but we didn't have a joint interest. Tiff, being the major "toy collector" of the two, thoguht this would be a great adventure and something to take with us as we enjoyed the outdoors either camping or RV-ing. Being the dutiful husband...Pioneer agreed. And thus we have started out ONLY this weekend as we start to geocache across many continents.

Welcome to the game! I forsee some serious travel bug mileage racking up when you folks go back and forth to the land down under.

:):):)B):):):)B)B):o

CONGRATULATIONS TO THE DILLON GANG!

1000 FINDS!

Cache_kid and I along with his mom and sister had the distinct pleasure of picnicing with the entire Dillon Gang this afternoon. After a nice lunch along the cliffs overlooking the ocean we walked over to the place where The Dillon Gang would log find #1000!

Woo Hoo!!! Lets all give it up for The Dillon Gang!

:):oB):):):):):):):)

Welcome... :)

We are a fairly new caching couple...

GoBolt and Tigger's Mango

:)    :)      :)      B)      :)      :)      :)      B)      B)      :o

1000 FINDS!

Cache_kid and I along with his mom and sister had the distinct pleasure of picnicing with the entire Dillon Gang this afternoon. After a nice lunch along the cliffs overlooking the ocean we walked over to the place where The Dillon Gang would log find #1000!

:)    :o      B)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)

emoticon_thewave.gifYes!!!

Congratulations to The Dillon Gang for half a ton of caches.

Good job! emoticon_thewave.gif

:)    :)      :)      B)      :)      :)      :)      B)      B)      :o

1000 FINDS!

:)    :o      B)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)

WooooooHOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Edited by FlagMan
:)    :)      :)      :)      B)      B)      :o      :)      :)      B)

1000 FINDS!

:o    :)      :)      B)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)

Nice job Dillon gang,

now what is going to replace the wanted poster?????

:)    :D      B)      :o      :)      :)      B)      :o      :)      :)

1000 FINDS!

B)    :)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)      B)      :)

Nice job Dillon gang,

now what is going to replace the wanted poster?????

GOOD JOB!!!!!!! :D:):)

Hey, all. I'm looking for a template to create some stickers that I can leave in geocache log books. I'm sure you've all seen them. They are about the size of a small mailing label and have info about the cacher, etc. Some even have little icons on the bottom to fill out info about the time, weather, etc. They might be in a MS Word or MS Publisher format.

Can anyone help out?

Jim

W9JIM

Other early SD legends that disappeared:

Monteverde

Stork

Zcat

Vagabond

Radical Geezer

eporkchop

beeque

livingrttoo

Zar

wolflogic

nemethmik

Commander Cache

Anyone got the stories on their disappearances..  Or is it just like Jimmy Hoffa?  An unsolvable mystery?

--TT--

I ran into Vagabond at the SoCal Geocacher's picnic last year. I think he lives in the Elsinore area now.

Stork has a website at SuperStork. Not sure if he's been caching or not.

Jim

Hey, all. I'm looking for a template to create some stickers that I can leave in geocache log books. I'm sure you've all seen them. They are about the size of a small mailing label and have info about the cacher, etc. Some even have little icons on the bottom to fill out info about the time, weather, etc. They might be in a MS Word or MS Publisher format.

Can anyone help out?

Jim

W9JIM

They are easy to make using M$ Word. I got the idea from Team Nohoch and then made my own with a smaller label. I even made my own clock and thermomter using Paint and then imported the images into Word. Send me your email address and I'll send you the file I created if you want.

Congrats Steve on 1 :)  :)  :) !

I'll get there someday!  B)  I was happy to get my "Gorilla" this weekend up at Big Bear!!!  :o We all had a blast up there!

How did you guys do out at Palm Springs?

Thanks all for the Congrats!!!! We did Paradize Found for 1000.

134 would be the official count i believe. we stopped saturday around 12:30 - 1ish for lunch and decided to head home to our families for the big number 2000 Team Gecko and 1000 The Dillon Gang (could have made it to 179 or so)

Edited by The Dillon Gang
134 would be the official count i believe. we stopped saturday around 12:30 - 1ish for lunch and decided to head home to our families for the big number 2000 Team Gecko and 1000 The Dillon Gang (could have made it to 179 or so)

You guys drove up there at 6AM Saturday morning and still did 134 caches by ~1PM? :) That's incredible! Congrats to you both if you did that!!!

134 would be the official count i believe.  we stopped saturday around 12:30 - 1ish for lunch and decided to head home to our families for the big number 2000 Team Gecko and 1000 The Dillon Gang (could have made it to 179 or so)

You guys drove up there at 6AM Saturday morning and still did 134 caches by ~1PM? :) That's incredible! Congrats to you both if you did that!!!

I am up for a trip...any one want to join me?

:)    :)      :)      B)      :o      :)      :)      B)      :o      :)

1000 FINDS!

:)    B)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)      :)      B)

WooooooHOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Bravo Zulu to all of you who have reached milestones in our absence.

Dave and Sumrall

134 would be the official count i believe.  we stopped saturday around 12:30 - 1ish for lunch and decided to head home to our families for the big number 2000 Team Gecko and 1000 The Dillon Gang (could have made it to 179 or so)

Um, they drove up Friday, cached into the night, got up early Saturday and cached until noonish. Keep an eye out for Team Geckos big 2K. Should be soon if it hasn't already happened.

Um, they drove up Friday, cached into the night, got up early Saturday and cached until noonish. Keep an eye out for Team Geckos big 2K. Should be soon if it hasn't already happened.

Oops, sorry about the CRS! I remembered 6AM but didn't remember that they were headed up on Friday.

134 is still very good! Coincidentally, that's the same amount we bagged up there. PS is a gold mine for caching! :)

Edited by TrailGators
Keep an eye out for Team Geckos big 2K. Should be soon if it hasn't already happened.

This handsome Leopard Lizard, uber predator of the local backcountry, was spotted on the Pushawalla trail Saturday morning. He/she might know something about 2K but isn't saying ...

-Gecko Dad

2eeb4a0f-c13f-4e20-81a2-7d4c5ba08643.jpg

Keep an eye out for Team Geckos big 2K. Should be soon if it hasn't already happened.

This handsome Leopard Lizard, uber predator of the local backcountry, was spotted on the Pushawalla trail Saturday morning. He/she might know something about 2K but isn't saying ...

-Gecko Dad

Hey Gecko Dad...I spotted this guy on a MTRP hike. What kind is it???

d77e8ec6-c0fc-49bc-b17f-52b0fe4bfcb8.jpg

....was spotted on the Pushawalla trail Saturday morning. 

Cool lizard! What other trails did you you guys hit? Boo Hoff? Morrow? There are some really good ones up there!

For those keeping book, we left San Diego at 6:30 am on Friday. Spent some time hitting a few Palms to Pines on the drive down the hill since neither of us had cached this area before. A couple P2P caches were missing, at least one was off limits, and we passed by several others to allow us to get down to La Quinta at a reasonable time. After Steve picked up some lunch stuff and extra water at Vons, and a car shuttle to leave his Tundra at Lake Cahuilla, we started at the northern La Quinta Morrow trailhead at 11:30 am - not exactly an early start for a day of power caching. For the rest of the day, we completed Morrow, Boo Hoff, and Bear Creek Path, then finished up the La Quinta urbans before calling it a day. Final count was 80 plus 3 DNFs (all presumed MIA).

Saturday we hit Pushawalla at sunrise and enjoyed an aerial dogfight between a hawk and a pair of owls that was unbelievable. Hawk 1 (or 2), Owls 0. We did some of the driveup or short hike caches north of Pushawalla, then did the short hiking loop NE of the Del Webb property. Total count by lunchtime was 135 for the due to As Steve points out, if we had not stopped at lunchtime to preserve milestone finds until our families could participate, it would have been pretty easy to end up with an additional 40-50, particularly since we had not stopped for the Amazing Race cluster or the other 250-300 or so 1/1 driveups in the valley.

This is definitely cache binge territory.

-Gecko Dad

P.S. One of the Leopard Lizard's favorite meals is the Zebra-tailed Lizard, which just happens to be nearly the same size.

Hey Gecko Dad...I spotted this guy on a MTRP hike. What kind is it???

d77e8ec6-c0fc-49bc-b17f-52b0fe4bfcb8.jpg

Most likely a San Diego Horned Lizard, a subspecies of the Coast Horned Lizard (Phrynosoma coronatum). There used to be quite a few in the area but much of their habitat has been turned into housing subdivisions. They are considered a "Concern Species".

Horned lizards preferred food is ants, although I'm told they have difficulty with the aggressive non-native ant species that are also invading most of the U.S. A unique defensive mechanism, which I have seen only once, is to spray a stream of blood out of blood vessels near their eyes. For more information, you might like to check out http://www.sdnhm.org/fieldguide/herps/phry-cor.html

BTW, here are some photos of others I have seen locally. The first, I encountered very near the Hi Point Lookout Tower cache east of Mount Palomar.

5f5b5e69-98f1-4b05-badb-b482adb25bea.jpg

Here is one of a group of several that I found up on Cajon Mountain (El Capitan Open Space) before the Cedar Fire.

1517884_200.jpg

1518158_600.jpg

-Gecko Dad

....was spotted on the Pushawalla trail Saturday morning. 

Cool lizard! What other trails did you you guys hit? Boo Hoff? Morrow? There are some really good ones up there!

For those keeping book, we left San Diego at 6:30 am on Friday. Spent some time hitting a few Palms to Pines on the drive down the hill since neither of us had cached this area before. A couple P2P caches were missing, at least one was off limits, and we passed by several others to allow us to get down to La Quinta at a reasonable time. After Steve picked up some lunch stuff and extra water at Vons, and a car shuttle to leave his Tundra at Lake Cahuilla, we started at the northern La Quinta Morrow trailhead at 11:30 am - not exactly an early start for a day of power caching. For the rest of the day, we completed Morrow, Boo Hoff, and Bear Creek Path, then finished up the La Quinta urbans before calling it a day. Final count was 80 plus 3 DNFs (all presumed MIA).

Saturday we hit Pushawalla at sunrise and enjoyed an aerial dogfight between a hawk and a pair of owls that was unbelievable. Hawk 1 (or 2), Owls 0. We did some of the driveup or short hike caches north of Pushawalla, then did the short hiking loop NE of the Del Webb property. Total count by lunchtime was 135 for the due to As Steve points out, if we had not stopped at lunchtime to preserve milestone finds until our families could participate, it would have been pretty easy to end up with an additional 40-50, particularly since we had not stopped for the Amazing Race cluster or the other 250-300 or so 1/1 driveups in the valley.

This is definitely cache binge territory.

-Gecko Dad

P.S. One of the Leopard Lizard's favorite meals is the Zebra-tailed Lizard, which just happens to be nearly the same size.

Wow!! Congrats.

Amazing power caching...do you have a list of all the waypoints in the order you found them so the rookies can follow in your footsteps?

I was wondering, is there a place here in San Diego anyone would recommend that I could pick-up some ammo containers ?

Cheers

PassingWind

Here's a shot of a baby one I found by my back door last year.

horned_toad.jpg

Jim

Princess Toadstool and I saw this guy on the way to SCC Cache #1 on the PCT last week. If he hadn't moved, we never would have seen him.

Look at that great cammo job. :D

HornedLizardV.jpg

And, PassingWind -- There is an auto parts store on Main Street in El Cajon near the Broadway intersection that has the small ammo cans for $3.00 and the larger ones for $5.00 (or $6.00 -- I forget).

The also have engine paint in all kinds of colors for cheap (compared to other stores).

The proprietor is also a very nice and friendly guy and would appreciate more Geocachers' business I'm sure. (No, I'm not affliated with the business in any way. :D )

Thanks !! I'll go and see if I can find this place, if it works out we may want to list them as a resource for other cachers. BTW..I love your blog site!!

On another subject. I've got a HP Jornada 540 Series Pocket PC......anyone have experiance doing the "paperless" downloading to this beast?

PassingWind

Looks like you guys and gals need a horny-toad lesson from an old Texan 'cause y'r missin' all th' fun.

Spent my early childhood stepping on goat-head stickers and horny toads. Nothin' worse than a horny-toad under your bare foot as th' wigglin' makes y' jump real fast 'cause it might be a snake.

Anyway, the lesson is how to hypnotize a horny toad. Next chance y' get flip the little guy over on it's back and press your thumb into the center of it's belly. Hold your thumb there for a minute and then let go. The horny toad will lie there immobilized with it's belly sucked in.

Now go ahead and see if it ain't so. Of course don't forget t' flip the little guy over when you're done. Let me know how this works out f'r y'.

You're welcome,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Edited by SD Rowdies
Thanks !!  I'll go and see if I can find this place, if it works out we may want to list them as a resource for other cachers.  BTW..I love your blog site!!

On another subject. I've got a HP Jornada 540 Series Pocket PC......anyone have experiance doing the "paperless" downloading to this beast?

PassingWind

Thanks for the compliment on the blog. I wish I could find the time to really "flesh it out" a bit more.

The Auto Parts store is on the southeast side of Main. It sits back a bit from the road. T.R. Violin has a couple of caches close to the location, and "Radar Enforced" isn't too far away, nor is "A Little Bit Above the Box."

Can't come to town to shop without catching some caches . . . :D

I think GPX Sonar is the program you need for that PDA. I have a leather case for one of those I was going to put in one of my caches if I ever find time to place them.

Congrats Dillon Gang and Vulture on 1000.

Someone mentioned the need for a template for printing labels. MS Word has a template under "envelopes and labels" under the "Tools" drop down.

Ammo cans in El Cajon: GI Joe's at 799 El Cajon Bld, has all types and sizes. Every now and then they have unique containers. e.g. I picked up a mortal tube for $5; hope to place it soon. Good place for swag also.

D-Jollymon, looks like your first hide is a success; I hope to visit it soon.

I've got a new cache coming out called Fairly Odd Parents but you'll need a child to retrieve the container :D .

Edited by Chuy
Anyway, the lesson is how to hypnotize a horny toad. Next chance y' get flip the little guy over on it's back and press your thumb into the center of it's belly. Hold your thumb there for a minute and then let go. The horny toad will lie there immobilized with it's belly sucked in.

Now go ahead and see if it ain't so. Of course don't forget t' flip the little guy over when you're done. Let me know how this works out f'r y'.

You're welcome,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Now, Harmon, really. Let's show some respect for these little guys. How would you like it if a komodo dragon or another lizard critter more your size rolled you over on your back to see if you stayed immobilized with your tummy sucked in? Hmmm, maybe we can find you a free ticket to Jurassic Park ...

-Gecko Dad

You're welcome,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

Now, Harmon, really. Let's show some respect for these little guys. How would you like it if a komodo dragon or another lizard critter more your size rolled you over on your back to see if you stayed immobilized with your tummy sucked in? Hmmm, maybe we can find you a free ticket to Jurassic Park ...

-Gecko Dad

Harmon, I suppose I better not tell him about putting those frogs in the payloads of those Estes rockets when I was a kid......

Thanks !!  I'll go and see if I can find this place, if it works out we may want to list them as a resource for other cachers.  BTW..I love your blog site!!

PassingWind

Thanks for the compliment on the blog. I wish I could find the time to really "flesh it out" a bit more.

The Auto Parts store is on the southeast side of Main. It sits back a bit from the road. T.R. Violin has a couple of caches close to the location, and "Radar Enforced" isn't too far away, nor is "A Little Bit Above the Box."

I think GPX Sonar is the program you need for that PDA. I have a leather case for one of those I was going to put in one of my caches if I ever find time to place them.

I think I got it figured out for the paperless method for my Jornada 540 Pocket PC.

Using the waypoints in GSAK I can export the file to HTML then transfer this file to Pocket PC via Microsoft ActiveSync....Sweet!

I realize that I need to be a premium GC member to reap the details from the gpx or loc files (Pocket Queries) that I can download from GC. I guess that's my next step.

How many waypoints can you download in one "Pocket Querie" from GC? For example, can you get all of the caches in San Diego county in one file?

From what I understand I can then use Mapsource to create jpg maps of selected areas to view on the Pocket PC. This is neat!!

Thanks for the info!

PassingWind

PassingWind

I think I got it figured out for the paperless method for my Jornada 540 Pocket PC.

Using the waypoints in GSAK I can export the file to HTML then transfer this file to Pocket PC via Microsoft ActiveSync....Sweet!

I realize that I need to be a premium GC member to reap the details from the gpx or loc files (Pocket Queries) that I can download from GC. I guess that's my next step.

How many waypoints can you download in one "Pocket Querie" from GC? For example, can you get all of the caches in San Diego county in one file?

From what I understand I can then use Mapsource to create jpg maps of selected areas to view on the Pocket PC. This is neat!!

Thanks for the info!

PassingWind

Here is the answer to all of your questions.

Cachin in Fashion (Paperless Fashion That Is)

Max number of caches per PQ is 500, so no, you can't fit all of SD county in one! I run a few to try to cover the areas I'm likely to be in. You can have up to 20 saved queries, and run up to 5 of them each day. In practice, for your regular areas, once a week (to update GSAK) is enough, and have a New Caches one bookmarked so you can check it regularly :D

You're welcome,

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

-Gecko Dad

Ooo, it's sounds kinky. Have y' tried it Gecko Dad?

Makes me think of the Douglas Adams book "Last Chance to See." If you want to know how badly Komodo Dragons are being treated read that book.

The good news is that my family and I are very Green. My oldest daugher has spent years in the Education Department of San Diego Zoo. She's now working for the very first company in our county to qualify as a Green Industry.

She just received the award from the mayor and may be called to Sacramento so that Ahnold can present a Green Business award from the State.

dd8dac86-5ab7-4265-9c2c-fef7f418ba4e.jpg

In truth I haven't hipnotized a horny toad in decades.

Say, did I mention how Texans fish?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Max number of caches per PQ is 500, so no, you can't fit all of SD county in one! I run a few to try to cover the areas I'm likely to be in. You can have up to 20 saved queries, and run up to 5 of them each day. In practice, for your regular areas, once a week (to update GSAK) is enough, and have a New Caches one bookmarked so you can check it regularly :D

I would conservatively estimate that there are 1200-1400 active caches in the county limits. The last time I mapped all of my "to find in county" (a couple of weeks ago) I needed another 450 or so just within SD county to clean it out. Mostly east east county and Anza Borrego.

Sigh...cleaning out the county will never happen!

--TT--

Thanks !! I'll go and see if I can find this place, if it works out we may want to list them as a resource for other cachers. BTW..I love your blog site!!

PassingWind

I use the 540. PQ's and MobiPocket work for me. Only problem is seeing the screen in the daylight. :D