The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

It's because of Harmon that I'm involved in all this madness.  He's the one who got me started.

Aw, shucks, it's all true and I even taught her to square dance. She love t' dress up funny.

85935e0a-0b3c-4ec6-afd2-3191f597aafa.jpg

Don't knock it, there's ten Geocachers in this picture. They are all young people but not right now.

Edited by SD Rowdies
Dittos to the above kudos.

On another note, I wasn't going to post this, but FlagMan talked me into it.

If you're interested in seeing the geocaching segment that aired Sunday night on KSWB, I've saved a copy here:

It's about a 3 Meg video, so it'll take a few minutes if you're on dial-up (my mom thought it was worth it, but you might not).  :wub:

"A few minutes" :D

I've been trying for the last hour to download the whole thing and so far all I have is you walking across that very familiar-to-me bridge. Maybe I'll leave my computer on all night and finally get the whole thing to download over my very slow 24K dialup connection. :wub: Right now the transfer says it will be done in 1 day 2 hours and 32 minutes and 45 seconds . . . :wub:

Actually, what I did see is very cool. Good job!! :wub:

Dittos to the above kudos.

On another note, I wasn't going to post this, but FlagMan talked me into it.

If you're interested in seeing the geocaching segment that aired Sunday night on KSWB, I've saved a copy here:

It's about a 3 Meg video, so it'll take a few minutes if you're on dial-up (my mom thought it was worth it, but you might not).  :wub:

"A few minutes" :wub:

I've been trying for the last hour to download the whole thing and so far all I have is you walking across that very familiar-to-me bridge. Maybe I'll leave my computer on all night and finally get the whole thing to download over my very slow 24K dialup connection. :D Right now the transfer says it will be done in 1 day 2 hours and 32 minutes and 45 seconds . . . :wub:

Actually, what I did see is very cool. Good job!! :wub:

Thank you. I hope the results are worth the effort. :wub:

From Harmon: "Don't knock it there's ten Geocachers in this picture.  They are all young people but not right now"

What he failed to divulge is there are some dead people in that picture too!

Why $kimmer, I'm surprised that you mentioned that. I thought about mentioning it but thought better of it. Now that should surprise you.

Technically none of the dancers were actually dead when the photo was taken.

Just for the record it wasn't square dancing that sent them to their maker. The other thing worth knowing is that the ten Geocachers in that photo, eleven if y' count the photographer, are still living.

What next, an obit's thread?

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

A certain high school is getting about $8000+ per student ADA each year. The science teachers at the school will each have 36x5 = 180 students next year. Total dollars from the government for those 180 students = $1,440,000.

Budget for those teachers to buy supplies for the next year = $600.

Amount spent on science equpiment per student = $3.33

"Second to none!"

[second to none for last place that is... :grin: ]

Cool!  You should see my bolo collection!! :grin:

Do they Geocache in costume too?

In truth is that group has Geocached in costume while between scheduled events at various festivals. The fact is that our local gang of Rowdies mostly wear western attire rather than big-slips square-dance stuff.

Here's the kicker, we dance what is called "Advanced Level." There's also a Challenge level that has a devoted following at uniiversities such as Stanford, MIT, and others. Very procedural and tightly-defined stuff with its own "programming language" and so suited for engineering and scientific types. Amounts to a social life for hard-core geeks.

$kimmer is a very accomplished advanced dancer. She's know far and wide as a "Square Nazi." Doesn't feel the least bit bad about issuing orders to other dancers. So you see square dancing and Geocaching are both perfectly attuned to the needs of poor, unfortunate victims of OCD.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
...$kimmer is a very accomplished advanced dancer. She's know far and wide as a "Square Nazi." ... So you see square dancing and Geocaching are both perfectly attuned to the needs of poor, unfortunate vitctims of OCD.

Harmon

Yeah, you should see what happens if you forget ONE TIME to log your name to a FTF :grin:

Sheesh :rolleyes:

BUT congrats $kimmer on your TON :grin:

Edited by Night Hunter
Hi!

Is anybody thinking about planning a caching event for this summer? The kids and I really enjoyed the Pizza event at Round Table in Escondido a while back, and we'd like to see if something new is coming up.

I've been thinking the same thing too. Maybe a simple pizza event that I'm glad to host and a picnic later on?

Who's covered a picnic before?

Hi!

Is anybody thinking about planning a caching event for this summer?  The kids and I really enjoyed the Pizza event at Round Table in Escondido a while back, and we'd like to see if something new is coming up.

I've been thinking the same thing too. Maybe a simple pizza event that I'm glad to host and a picnic later on?

Who's covered a picnic before?

hmmmm, a picnic! time to plan the summer fun already?

Awsome video - Where did you get the walking stick?

Wilderness Walkers on eBay. When mine came in the mail, my wife loved it so much we ordered one for her. Great product, great price, great service. No, I don't work for them. :D

I'm cheap.

I use an old broom handle for a walking stick; it's light, strong, and just the right length. I also have a collapsable tube I kept from a cargo net I was throwing away.

Did I mentioned I'm cheap? :D

Congrats PQcachers on 500.

Congrats $kimmer on 2000.

Congrats Princess Toadstool on 600 (I missed your 500).

And, I don't think I ever congratulated Night Hunter on 1000; congrats!

Did I miss someone?

OK folks, we gotta badger and nag D-Jollymon to set up his first hide already.

He's been talking about it, like forever.

I think he's looking for the perfect spot. That, or he's too busy running out the door to score an FTF - which I can relate to :D .

C'mon dude, just put it somewhere. :D

OK folks, we gotta badger and nag D-Jollymon to set up his first hide already.

He's been talking about it, like forever.

I think he's looking for the perfect spot. That, or he's too busy running out the door to score an FTF - which I can relate to <_< .

C'mon dude, just put it somewhere. :lol:

Thanks for pointing that out Chuy!!!! I swear I'm VERY close to getting one out. Should be this weekend....or sooner.

. . .

Did I miss someone?

. . . :lol: . . .

Ahem . . .

<_<

. . .

Did I miss someone?

. . . :lol: . . .

Ahem . . .

<_<

Ah yes icon_smile_blush.gif, congrats on 200. And Kawikaturn on 1000.

Edited by Chuy
'Ere, anyone got a Marauder's Map? I got stumped at a couple of the Wizard's Chess locations last weekend....

Duscwe and I completed the series without the map, but it took us three nights and alot of hair pulling. Each cache had a multi waypoint, so, the challenge for me now is trying to remember which cache is which. I'll email you my #.

I've got a vague plan for tomorrow.

I should be at the parking for SPT#1 around 9.30am, to start off nice and easy with the Senior Sleuths' SPT series. I'll be in the Alfa (4RIP182) and will leave a few of my cache cards under the wipers with my mobile number on. I'll be scooping up caches in Poway until lunch, then heading down to Scripps Ranch for the afternoon - if anyone wants to join me there, it'll probably be about 1pm and I think I'll start at Max's Favorite Park .

. . .

Did I miss someone?

. . . :) . . .

Ahem . . .

:)

Ah yes icon_smile_blush.gif, congrats on 200. And Kawikaturn on 1000.

Premium Member

Maybe someday we'll make the big time, but for now we'll take our 300th we picked up today.

We do-do'ed with GCP555.

Monday we are going to the Gold Country, Tahoe and Sacremento.

Thanks to RocketMan's class and his crew, 110 caches are loaded in a Palm and in the GPS. Thanks! Where could we put 110 pages of cache info. in the Miata?

Maybe have a picnic at Kit Carson Park in Escondido. There are lot's of caches there and for a quick grab, Snakes and Latters.

Nick & Sharon

TeamGrnZoom

Premium Member

Maybe someday we'll make the big time, but for now we'll take our 300th we picked up today.

We do-do'ed with GCP555.

Thanks to RocketMan's class and his crew, 110 caches are loaded in a Palm and in the GPS. Thanks! Where could we put 110 pages of cache info. in the Miata?

Maybe have a picnic at Kit Carson Park in Escondido. There are lot's of caches there and for a quick grab, Snakes and Latters.

Nick & Sharon

TeamGrnZoom

Congrats on 300, and to Rocket Man on 1000.

We do-do'ed with GCP555.

Nick & Sharon

TeamGrnZoom

Nice job, Nick and Sharon!

OK, Time for a little SD caching trivia!

I recently picked up a few of my caches (ammo cans) from the San Dieguito River Park office that the rangers had confiscated almost two years ago. I found one of these in all three caches. Who put them there?

Note: You can't answer if you started caching before Jan 04.

eb2aca6f-d672-4a7a-a302-09d7d1bc0316.jpg

I recently picked up a few of my caches (ammo cans) from the San Dieguito River Park office that the rangers had confiscated almost two years ago. I found one of these in all three caches. Who put them there?

My guess:

Was it mark71mark?

~Jess

I recently picked up a few of my caches (ammo cans) from the San Dieguito River Park office that the rangers had confiscated almost two years ago.  I found one of these in all three caches.  Who put them there?

My guess:

Was it mark71mark?

~Jess

NICE WORK!

Yes it was Mark71Mark.

At one time he was the #1 cacher in the area. He had 500 caches when it was considered big time to have 100 caches under your belt. I remember when Ruscal and KNIC were trying to catch up to him and there was no way it was going to happen, that is until Mark stopped caching. He put one of those Bridge Passes in every cache he visited. Here is the back side:

52dcb813-9dfd-4a8d-a1ed-e284f0286fec.jpg

I recently picked up a few of my caches (ammo cans) from the San Dieguito River Park office that the rangers had confiscated almost two years ago.  I found one of these in all three caches.  Who put them there?

I saw one of those just last week in a cache by the Sweetwater Reservoir.

Where'd that guy go! He and Angie got married and both just disappeared! GoBolt and tigger's mango, are you listening?? Please don't let this happen to you!! ;)

Edited by FlagMan

RichardLee and I made our way out to the Proctor Valley Monster Project last night. It's a great cache and I recommend it to any who haven't tried it yet. Be careful, though. When I got home and viewed the pictures I had taken, I saw this...(cue scary music and thunder)

rick.jpg

Ever thought of making a "mark71mark" YMS (devhead) card with the commute ticket to honor one of the early cachers in the area?

Already been done. Yrium made mark71mark as one of the earlier series. Yeah, I'd like to know where he disappeared to. Dude's got a moun10bike coin he's just sitting on.

158_1600.jpg

And yes...gobolt, please do not let marriage ruin what is turning into a fine caching career. I am avoiding it myself like the plague, despite pqmommy's most vehement efforts otherwise to get me married off.

;)

--TT--

How nice to see the old familiar names!! I often wonder what happened to Mark71Mark he placed some memorable caches that are still favourites today!!

Zcat went to England and I believe still caches over there. He pops back here now and again but as yet we have not been able to meet up! Phoenix Cache (formaly the Auf Widersehen Cache) is one of theirs and one of the the highest caches I've done!

ttfn

jane

aka

jane8276

silverhorde

Member since Monday, August 13, 2001

Edited by Silver Horde
Other early SD legends that disappeared:

Monteverde

Stork

Zcat

Vagabond

Radical Geezer

eporkchop

beeque

livingrttoo

Zar

wolflogic

nemethmik

Commander Cache

Anyone got the stories on their disappearances.. Or is it just like Jimmy Hoffa? An unsolvable mystery?

--TT--

Radical said he was writing a book, Livinrgttoo was very ill, and eporkchop moved to another state. I guess life gets in the way of geocaching sometimes, whatta drag. If only Jeff got married... ;)

D!