The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Anyone up for a hike in Escondido to Old Glory Fletcher Point Peak (GCC8A) Monday morning? Its a 3.5 mile hike one way with some good bushwacking near the end. You can also bag Number One Son (GCEA6) on the way out.

Meet at Duenda Rd near Moon Song Ct for the trailhead at 7am. Be sure to wear long pants, bring 2 qts water and some snacks. Email me if you have any questions.

166393_1000.jpg

There, I said it out loud. Now I can't change my mind and go back to bed like I did today!

Edited by Dan-oh

Out caching today in MTRP on South Fortuna Trail. I found a cache called Another Micro in MTRP, or something like that, but it's not on the website? This cache had been stored in my GPSr for a while I guess. and after bagging I Wonder where the bread is this cache was the nearest available.

Anyone know anything about this one.

DBTracker

Out caching today in MTRP on South Fortuna Trail. I found a cache called Another Micro in MTRP, or something like that, but it's not on the website? This cache had been stored in my GPSr for a while I guess. and after bagging I Wonder where the bread is this cache was the nearest available.

DBTracker

TR Violin archived it.

go here

I guess you could still log it, you found it. I did.

D!

Out caching today in MTRP on South Fortuna Trail.  I found a cache called Another Micro in MTRP, or something like that, but it's not on the website?  This cache had been stored in my GPSr for a while I guess. and after bagging I Wonder where the bread is this cache was the nearest available.

DBTracker

Another Micro Cache in MTRP (GCKW2N)

This is one of TRViolin's. I thought he had removed it. I guess not. But your find brings up a good question for the forum:

What is the Forum's take on logging in archived (but found after archiving) caches? I've heard both sides before, but I'm just curious what everyone's opinion is. Anyone know of any archived (or disabled) but still out there caches?

I've been watching one called Petroglyph Peak (GC4DF). Seems like it is still out there. I know for a fact that Close to Home 2 (GC95C0) is still out there, though disabled.

Oh yes....a big congrats to $kimmer and her power cache-o-rama through Ventura and SB to put her over the 2000 mark!

--TT--

...But your find brings up a good question for the forum:

What is the Forum's take on logging in archived (but found after archiving) caches?  I've heard both sides before, but I'm just curious what everyone's opinion is.  Anyone know of any archived (or disabled) but still out there caches?...

I find it horribly annoying when archived (and I assume removed) caches are logged as finds. Actually, it bugs the snot out of me anytime someone logs a find for a cache that's not in place, either removed by the owner or muggled. I guess thats the law and order/follow the rules part of my personality speaking.

That said, caches that are archived but still in place are fair game for finds. Its kinda strange to see but it can be appropriate. There are quite a few cool looking Otis Pug caches that are archived but still in place. Certainly worth seeking if you know which ones to look for. Approvers have the ability to lock a cache and prevent any logging. I assume that includes any changes by the owner too. Thats a good tool for logs or notes that turn nasty.

How about caches that are archived or disabled with nobody taking care of them? If you can go to the effort to hide it, you should be able to maintain or remove it when its done.

Harumph!

Out caching today in MTRP on South Fortuna Trail.  I found a cache called Another Micro in MTRP, or something like that, but it's not on the website?  This cache had been stored in my GPSr for a while I guess. and after bagging I Wonder where the bread is this cache was the nearest available.

DBTracker

This is one of TRViolin's. I thought he had removed it. I guess not. But your find brings up a good question for the forum:

What is the Forum's take on logging in archived (but found after archiving) caches? I've heard both sides before, but I'm just curious what everyone's opinion is. Anyone know of any archived (or disabled) but still out there caches?

I've been watching one called Petroglyph Peak (GC4DF). Seems like it is still out there. I know for a fact that Close to Home 2 (GC95C0) is still out there, though disabled.

Oh yes....a big congrats to $kimmer and her power cache-o-rama through Ventura and SB to put her over the 2000 mark!

--TT--

If it's there why not log it?

Petroglyph Peak is a cool one!

Congrats to $kimmer on 2 :lol::o:D is that $2000 also? :o

I am new to geocaching and am totally enjoying getting out and learning more about this area. I found another incredible place to hike today while finding a geocache. Will be going back to find others in the area when the bushes are not so very big!!!!!! I am looking forward to meeting all of you out and about.

Edited by smilinglady13
I am new to geocaching and am totally enjoying getting out and learning more about this area. I found another incredible place to hike today while finding a geocache. Will be going back to find others in the area when the bushes are not so very big!!!!!! I am looking forward to meeting all of you out and about.

Welcome to the Forum thread and to local Geocaching. Take it from me, you are about to fall in with the wrong crowd.

Do try our Sandy Creek Cowboy caches before you can fry eggs on the screen of your GPSr.

Harmon of Sandy Creek Cowboys

So $kimmer went by two-thousand finds like a rocket. Everyone should know that she couldn't have done it without me.

358e2c14-049f-4f49-92bc-72166e98efb1.jpg

Minnie Pearl?

I think $kimmer's gonna sock ya for that one!

minnie%20pearl.jpg

See! what did I tell y'? $kimmer doesn't even need a microphone.

Edited by SD Rowdies
. . . How about caches that are archived or disabled with nobody taking care of them? If you can go to the effort to hide it, you should be able to maintain or remove it when its done.

Harumph!

This brings up a question I have about "A Little Bit Above the Box" in El Cajon. I found it last week and it was a nice little hike, however, the owner hasn't been on the site since last September and the cache is in dire need of a maintenance visit.

I would offer to "adopt" it, but I don't live anywhere near there.

I left a T.B. in the cache in hopes someone would read my log and make a visit to retrieve the T.B. and maybe help out the cache a bit. Everything in it is very moldy because the container leaks.

What should/could/can be done? I think the cache is in a neat location.

It's on its way....the new 2005 California Geocoin

7thdraft.gif

The ordering process has already started and there are about 340 more left to order. Check out the following web pages for information

A fellow geocacher said he didn't know these were out there, so i am posting in this thread for those who read it.

2005 California Geocoin Order Page

.PDF Order Form

Coins should be arriving around the first of july

NOTE: If you use paypal you are automatically charged shipping and a fee for paypal. if you pickup in san diego, i'll get thta shipping money back to you when i distribute the coins.

ORDERING IS CLOSING ON JUNE 10, 2005

Princess Del Cerra Neighborhood Park

This 5.5-acre City-owned site, located on Wenrich Drive, is currently being developed and will provide this area with two small ball fields, a multipurpose court, picnic areas and a tiny tots play area.

or

Minutes of the Council of the City of San Diego for the Regular Meeting of Tuesday, February 5, 2002 FISCAL IMPACT:

Funds in the amount of $157,000 are available from CIP-29-530, Hearst Elementary School -Joint Use Improvements as follows: $95,000 from Capital Outlay Funds, Fund No. 30245, $22,000 from Park and Recreation Matching Funds, Fund No. 10365, $1,579 from Lake Murray/Del Cerro Park Service Funds, Fund No. 11370 and $38,421 from Navajo Development Impact Fees, Fund No. 79505 for this purpose.

I'm starting to wonder Tom. No mention of "Del Cerro Park" or "Del Cerro Community Park" on the SD City web site other than a special fund. Anyone want to do a title search and see whats what?

If it really is a city park, lets have an event cache there! :ph34r:

Congrats to our buddy $kimmer on her 2000th find!!!!

It was the perfect cache too. We parked illegally, as per our M.O., the name of the road was 'Dump Road', and the cache was on the edge of a cliff!!

This cache had her name all over it!!!

We took the 2000th find picture, which with luck, and instruction, will post it.

The Splashes

P.S to PQ cachers....kudos to you also for your 500th! Wished Bear Valley would have worked out, maybe you can find your 600th there!!

So $kimmer went by two-thousand finds like a rocket. Everyone should know that she couldn't have done it without me.

358e2c14-049f-4f49-92bc-72166e98efb1.jpg

Minnie Pearl?

I think I forgot to add my congrats to the chorus! Way to go, Marty!! Now, let's see, how many of my lifelines did you need? :ph34r:

Regarding the Tree Hugger cache

I found a PDF file that may be good info regarding Del Cerro Community Park.

Here's the link:

http://www.sandiego.gov/planning/pdf/commp...drecreation.pdf

Find the section on the Document Page 60 - Private Park

I'll summarize- the courts and pool are for the use of members of the Del Cerro Community Association. But the picnic facilities are for the use of the general public.

Is this the same park in question?

Dave

I'll summarize- the courts and pool are for the use of members of the Del Cerro Community Association. But the picnic facilities are for the use of the general public.

PRIVATE PARK

In addition to the population-based parks in this community, a private park of approximately three acres is operated by the Del Cerro Community Association. This small park, on Del Cerro Boulevard, is fully developed with tennis and multipurpose courts, a small swimming pool and picnic facilities. The courts and swimming pool fill the needs of dues-paying Del Cerro Community Association members. However, the picnic facilities are available for use by the general public and serve to supplement existing City parks in the area.

That does somewhat sound like a private park in spite of the "general public" clause.

Congratulations $kimmer!

Your achievement is unimaginable to this newbie who, :o:P while caching with Princess Toadstool today, hit #200. :D :D

And,

Congratulations to Princess Toadstool who found #600 today!emoticon_thewave.gif

Sure were alot of milestones yesterday. Congrats to both of you too!

I found an archived cache a few months back - Pueblo Lands #2 - not far from the merge. It was archived after 1 DNF, and the owner had moved and couldn't/wouldn't come and check up on it. I just had the numbers in my GPSr when looking for something else, and found it without too much trouble - it was only when I went to log it that I discovered that it had been archived. I offered to maintain it, but nothing happened after that.

What do you have to do to "adopt" a cache?

Oh, and congrats to everyone, again! :P:o:D

What is the Forum's take on logging in archived (but found after archiving) caches?  I've heard both sides before, but I'm just curious what everyone's opinion is.  Anyone know of any archived (or disabled) but still out there caches?

Bob & the 3 bears and i used to go after archived or missing caches to see if they were there...actually found a couple and helped get them back up. I often have a back up cache ready to go in case the cache i'm heading to needs help. i even clean out trash and add more trinkets to empty cache boxes.

What do you have to do to "adopt" a cache?

As for adopting the cache, a simple email to admin stating that

• the owner has left and refuses to maintain
  • you have contacted the owner and they are okay with it...send copy of the email

Dittos to the above kudos.

On another note, I wasn't going to post this, but FlagMan talked me into it.

If you're interested in seeing the geocaching segment that aired Sunday night on KSWB, I've saved a copy here:

It's about a 3 Meg video, so it'll take a few minutes if you're on dial-up (my mom thought it was worth it, but you might not). :D

If you're interested in seeing the geocaching segment that aired Sunday night on KSWB, I've saved a copy here:

It's about a 3 Meg video, so it'll take a few minutes if you're on dial-up (my mom thought it was worth it, but you might not). :D

Way to go QDman! :wub:

Nice one! Now where can I find the next bucket?? :wub:

At least you weren't carrying a shovel :D:wub:

:wub: :wub: :wub:

Came out pretty well I'd say, not exactly in depth of course, but what can you expect from local news.... :D

It's about a 3 Meg video, so it'll take a few minutes if you're on dial-up (my mom thought it was worth it, but you might not).  :D

It must be pretty darn expensive to start this game called geocaching since "you need to buy one of these; a global positioning system".

Man, I don't think I can afford to buy one satellite, let alone an entire system. A receiver does sound like something I have money for though. :wub:

Reporter misspeak aside, you did good QDman!

Thanks to all for your encouragement on my ton of caches.

To answerr TT's question, made over $19, on 202 caches in the Ventura/Thousand Oaks/Santa Barbara area. That is balanced by the fact that I had my wallet stolen while there. Thank goodness I run with rich friends, Splashette supported me, finacially while we were on our caching rampage.

Without Harmon, I would be married to a MUCH happier guy, I'd be home a lot more, and not in harm's way. He's such a worry wart. It's because of Harmon that I'm involved in all this madness. He's the one who got me started. Not to mention I wouldn't have 25 of my 26 WebCams. He's my official photographer. And yes, tha't an UNALTERED photo of me, I REALLY like hats!

Finally, when Harmon got Splashette and me together I had something like 300 caches to my credit. Think she's influenced me? You don't know the half of it. Oh the stories the Geobabes could tell. She's my kinda buddy, we may end up caching into the sunset someday, never to be heard of again.

Want to congratulate everybody else who hit milestones this past week: pqcachers, Idiosyncratic, & Princess Toadstool. Way to go GIRLS!