The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

Hello fello San Diego Geocachers

I'm new to this sport and have put a few catches under my belt in the last few weeks since I began. I have to tell you that I'm hooked! It would be nice to share my enthusiasm with others who enjoy this sport...it's not always fun geocaching by yourself, plus it would be nice to get some guidance for a rookie starting out. Are there any local events or meetings coming up? Or a group of cachers heading out to conquer....

Cheers, PassingWind (a.k.a. JR_92065)

Welcome PassingWind!

We talked about you a bit in the past pages, about 3 or 4 pages back. Nothing negative, only jealously 'cause your first find was a FTF. If you stick around, you'll quickly see who the FTF competitors are.

No talk of events coming up, yet. You are in the right place to check for events 'cause most begin with talk here in the forums.

I'm sure I speak for others when I say it's kinda hard to cache with others due to family, work, and other time contraints, commitments and responsibilities. But with the enthusiasm you display, you'll meet other cachers with similar caching traits. I'll email you my "schedule".

Thanks for visiting Puppy Love, Reprised. I set it up in the middle of a hot day, so I know exactly what you went through. Glad to see you hoofed it too.

There's just no stopping these two GeoTravelers. Yesterday Santa Barbara today Ventura. Couldn't talk Splashette into lying on the bench. $kimmer was willing to lie down but finally balked at the bird poop.

Which one has the biggest ... feet?

b6d1d1ea-fa99-4816-a9c5-148a3f28cfed.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies
Hello fello San Diego Geocachers

I'm new to this sport and have put a few catches under my belt in the last few weeks since I began. I have to tell you that I'm hooked! It would be nice to share my enthusiasm with others who enjoy this sport...it's not always fun geocaching by yourself, plus it would be nice to get some guidance for a rookie starting out. Are there any local events or meetings coming up? Or a group of cachers heading out to conquer....

Cheers, PassingWind (a.k.a. JR_92065)

If y' want t' pass some serious wind and graduate from th' rookie ranks real fast then come out to ranch country and try th' cowboy caches.

The Sandy Creek Cowboys

fdf16a3a-debb-4aad-9637-310410a9430b.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies
Nice!!

I live in Ramona so I'm all about the cowboy action......where's my cowboy hat and lasso?

PassingWind

It's great to have a new cacher, PassingWind! If I ever go caching with you I need to make sure I walk in front of you! :ph34r: Anyhow, the cowboy caches are really fun caches! BTW you can always post a time and cache destination and and sometimes you might find a few takers! :unsure:

Hi All,

Long time no post...Have not been out caching in California in a month.

Been caching in! :unsure:

We did manage to get a few in Florida, The Bahamas, Cozumel Mexico and The Cayman Islands.

We leave for Oklahoma City this evening...We will be staying @ Sumrall parents lake house on route 66.

If you have any bugs, coins or a Mont10bike :) that want to make the trip let me know (619-206-3366).

Thanks,

David and Sumrall

PS We will return on the 31st if any one is looking for a caching partner...

Edited by GoBolt
Chuy,

Looks like you won the war with rammjet.  SoCalAdmin archived the two on top of San Miguel since they are on private, non-accessible property.

Thanks...now I don't have to go climb that SOB.

--TT--

I really wanted to climb that mtn; I just couldn't find a legal trailhead. Now, I know why - there isn't any!

I'm sure it's not going to stop Rammjet; after all, he's been hiking it for 18 years. Talk about self-incrimination.

RE Camp 3; and Camp 4 .

I shook my head in disbelief when he said, "...the.south fence line is just an old cattle fence that was used when the houses weren't there to keep the cows in..."

[The "No Trespassing" sign is on this fence line! You can't miss it; the only trail, used by illegals, leads right to the sign.]

Edited by Chuy
Honey who shrunk the Rocket Man? :anibad:

Hint:

Create a new layer. Cut and paste his finger tips into the new layer. (You can leave them on the bigger, lower one as they will be hidden.) Now, go to layers in the menu and create a drop shadow fro that new layer. Then you will see shadows from his fingers on the tin. Play with it so that the shadow angle comes from somewhere above him (look at his own shading for the most realistic effect.) It will make it look a LOT more real.

Parsa

Introducing YMS #14 Dan-oh

It looks like one of those 3D pixelated pictures you have to stare out with you eyes out of focus. :lol:

A stereogram! I got pretty good at doing those! You basically stared through the stereogram to a spot about one foot behind it to see it. That would be cool if someone actually made one of those as a card or maybe even a puzzle cache! ;)

Introducing YMS #14 Dan-oh...

Hey, I can't even see that guy, its just cammo.

Oh, camouflage, I get it now.

Good stuff Tom.

Gotta give Jeff the credit on this one, except for minor tweaks.... I must say, however, I was thinking of doing just about exactly the same thing....

Duscwé! and I are planning a visit to The Proctor Valley Monster Project cache tomorrow evening at approx 9P.

Anyone interested in joining us email either one of us.

We will be meeting onsite as he is coming in from the west (Pt Loma), and I from the east (Lakeside).

Afterwards, ¿quien sabe? more caching?

Count me in!!!! This has been #1 on my "closest to home" list (except for all those new ones that keep popping up) for way too long. I might even bring some kids along -- we can have a snipe hunt afterwards.... :lol:

Duscwé! and I are planning a visit to The Proctor Valley Monster Project cache tomorrow evening at approx 9P.

Anyone interested in joining us email either one of us.

We will be meeting onsite as he is coming in from the west (Pt Loma), and I from the east (Lakeside).

Afterwards, ¿quien sabe? more caching?

And I will come from the East as well, only from Jamul.

That one has been on my list for a while. Thanks for the opportunity to team up with you.

While out letterboxing today we found a geocache (we're new to this sport). Wanted to let the owners know that their cache needs attention. We put something in the cache, signed the log book and rehid it as best we could. I didn't have the sense to write down the name of the cache :lol: I don't want to post a spoiler here. I tried to list the caches around the area but couldn't match up where we were (south of Lake Hodges) to any of the posted clues.

The Ramona Girls

(with 2 geocache finds under our belts!) ;)

While out letterboxing today we found a geocache (we're new to this sport). Wanted to let the owners know that their cache needs attention. We put something in the cache, signed the log book and rehid it as best we could. I didn't have the sense to write down the name of the cache  :lol:  I don't want to post a spoiler here. I tried to list the caches around the area but couldn't match up where we were (south of Lake Hodges) to any of the posted clues. 

The Ramona Girls

(with 2 geocache finds under our belts!)  ;)

Was it under a pile of rocks? ;) Jest kidding! Can you give any more details about it? Maybe I can help you figure out which one it was so you can tell the owner of the cache that his cache needs some tending to when you log it.

While out letterboxing today we found a geocache (we're new to this sport). Wanted to let the owners know that their cache needs attention. We put something in the cache, signed the log book and rehid it as best we could. I didn't have the sense to write down the name of the cache :lol: I don't want to post a spoiler here. I tried to list the caches around the area but couldn't match up where we were (south of Lake Hodges) to any of the posted clues.

The Ramona Girls

(with 2 geocache finds under our belts!) ;)

Might have to check the archived caches as well; it might be one that got washed away from the recent rains.

Gecko Dad and I are heading up into the fire (Palm Springs) we are heading out next friday around 6am ish and planning on returning back to town by 9pm saturday...any more takers?

I was in PS a couple of weekends ago for a business meeting. If you get a chance, check out hangin' round. A quick find, but a treat, nevertheless.

I know there are some other forums for this but I wanted to get some input from the local, seasoned, cachers.

For those of you in this forum who use Garmin GPS units, what's your prefered Mapsource Map(s) for this region?

I'm considering getting the US TOPO since I've already got the US TOPO National Parks West and the World Map purchased through my work. Is CitySelect worth anything for "geocaching" ?

I'm still somewhat new to this so I'm trying my best to figure out the best way to manage all the waypoints, routes, and tracks while optimizing my geocaching experiance, of course! My next step will be to figure out that darn PDA and go paperless.

I wish I could join you on the Proctor Valley cache this evening..sorry :laughing: I haven't been snipe hunting since I was a scout in the midwest....next time.

Cheers....PassingWind

I know there are some other forums for this but I wanted to get some input from the local, seasoned, cachers.

For those of you in this forum who use Garmin GPS units, what's your prefered Mapsource Map(s) for this region? 

I'm considering getting the US TOPO since I've already got the US TOPO National Parks West and the World Map purchased through my work.  Is CitySelect worth anything for "geocaching" ?

I'm still somewhat new to this so I'm trying my best to figure out the best way to manage all the waypoints, routes, and tracks while optimizing my geocaching experiance, of course! My next step will be to figure out that darn PDA and go paperless.

I wish I could join you on the Proctor Valley cache this evening..sorry :laughing:  I haven't been snipe hunting since I was a scout in the midwest....next time.

Cheers....PassingWind

City Select is awesome if you have an autorouting GPS like a 60CS. I bought topo software but I seldom use it. So it all depends on your equipment and what you like to do with it. It is smart to find out the options before you start dumping money into stuff that you may not need!

Edit: I would strongly suggest checking out the other forums. There are several that discuss this exact topic!

Edited by TrailGators
From the News Station...

Hello!

As you all probably know the Magellan “Be There” geocaching contest got underway this past Monday. 

KSWB in San Diego is planning to tape a segment this Thursday about geocaching and the upcoming Magellan contest. They would love to interview some local geocachers about the various steps involved in finding a cache.

If you are interested in participating, please contact me by phone or e-mail ASAP!  You will need to be available between 9 a.m. And 2 p.m. on Thursday.  The station is located in the Kearney Mesa/Clairemont area @ 7191 Engineer Road and the interview would take place at a park or other location in that area.

This is a great opportunity to promote geocaching.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Melisa

--

Melisa Glasberg

DeLyon-Hunt & Associates

P: 310.374.6893

C: 702.378.6760

F: 310.798.1173

melisa@delyon-hunt.com

Well I just got back from taping the segment noted above. It was a lot of fun. I was asked about geocaching in general, blah, blah, blah, then we went out and "found" a cache. Actually, we went out to one of my caches. I didn't want to accidentally give away the location of someone else's cache, plus I wanted to make sure I could actually find the cache we were looking for. :laughing:

I think (hope) it went well. The reporter said she had read about the Magellan contest and thought it would be a timely piece. Plus, some of her friends are 'cachers.

At this point, it's supposed to air Sunday night @ 10pm on KSWB. They taped me for over an hour, so I have no idea what they're actually going to air. Can we make a pact that if I come off looking like a doof and say all the wrong things, that we'll all pretend the segment never aired? :laughing:

I'm considering getting the US TOPO since I've already got the US TOPO National Parks West and the World Map purchased through my work. Is CitySelect worth anything for "geocaching" ?

I have the Mapsource Topo, and it is sometimes very useful to see if there's a canyon in your way when you're trying to plan an approach. The road stuff is less useful unless your GPSr does autorouting, otherwise you might as well just use a regular map. I rarely use the GPSr for driving navigation.

As for paperless, check out the links and presentations from the recent Paperless Caching Event for lots of great information. Personally, I use GSAK (Windows) and Cachemate (Palm OS), and find them both well worth the money to register, which is something I can't often say about computer programs!

Well I just got back from taping the segment noted above.....

Way to go, Randy! I'm going to give TIVO a special treat to make sure she records this segment and keeps it around for a while! Oh, by the way, did you find the cache OK? Believe me, I have DNF'ed my own caches before and then had someone else find it the same day! :laughing::drama:

Edited by FlagMan
Well I just got back from taping the segment noted above.....

Way to go, Randy! I'm going to give TIVO a special treat to make sure she records this segment and keeps it around for a while! Oh, by the way, did you find the cache OK? Believe me, I have DNF'ed my own caches before and then had someone else find it the same day! :laughing::o

Funny! No, it was there, nice as pie. I kind of aimed Parette (the reporter) at it, so she's on tape finding it and signing the log book. I'm anxious to see it (and a little scared as well). :drama:

While we are staying at a RV park near PB for the weekend, I planted a new cache, Rose Canyon Bike Path . My curfew limited me from posting a note here last night. Of course, you know who got to it less than an hour after it was approved! (fastest approval and FTF I have ever had). The catch is the FTF prize will need another $100. to eat there! Have fun and congrats Jeff. Everybody have a fun and safe M. weekend. See you around town caching this weekend!

Spesking of FTFs, honestly I was surprised more of the power folk weren't all over the Nationwide Magellan "BE THERE" cache competition. One of the three adventures was right here in San Diego.

The final coords went live this morning and first prize of value (at least) $500) was on the line.

Turned into a race through Penasquitos Canyon between me and Scorpio. Where was pqmommy? FlagMan? D-Jollymon? J&J? ANy of the others who live in that neck of the woods?

And oh yeah. FTF for me! Sweet! I could use a new GPS and gear!

--TT--

Spesking of FTFs, honestly I was surprised more of the power folk weren't all over the Nationwide Magellan "BE THERE" cache competition.  One of the three adventures was right here in San Diego.

The final coords went live this morning and first prize of value (at least) $500) was on the line. 

Turned into a race through Penasquitos Canyon between me and Scorpio.  Where was pqmommy?  FlagMan?  D-Jollymon?  J&J?  ANy of the others who live in that neck of the woods?

And oh yeah.  FTF for me!  Sweet!  I could use a new GPS and gear!

--TT--

:D:DGood job Jeff ;):D !! Yes, you could use a new GPSr :D

We have an alarm that doesn't work on the weekends so we overslept the release of the coords. Got there a few hours behind. The consilation is that we will be able to send away for a Magellan hat :)

~J&J

Spesking of FTFs, honestly I was surprised more of the power folk weren't all over the Nationwide Magellan "BE THERE" cache competition. One of the three adventures was right here in San Diego.

Turned into a race through Penasquitos Canyon between me and Scorpio. Where was pqmommy? FlagMan? D-Jollymon? J&J? ANy of the others who live in that neck of the woods?

And oh yeah. FTF for me! Sweet! I could use a new GPS and gear!

--TT--

If you used a Garmin to get the FTF, you have to forfeit the prize to me! HaHa ;)

Way to go TT!

As for why FlagMan wasn't in on the race to the Magellan cache this morning, it might have been because of what he was doing last night.

Here he is signing the log at "The Proctor Valley Monster Project" after 10:00 p.m. last night.

f12b43a6-39ac-4949-90cd-32fb7f18af0e.jpg

Great fun was had by all! ;)