The San Diego Thread

Night Hunter

WE'RE IN!! :D :D

Totally cool!!! :huh:

I was on my way down there, but went to REI first (to get some gaiters for all the foxtails this year) and ended up talking for a long time to a GPSr owner who hasn't been Geocaching. Now he is going to sign up on GC.com.

So, we will soon have another Geocacher in the Chula Vista area, I hope.

Once again, totally cool, FlagMan!!! :lol:

c25bb797-5da7-4dc6-bd93-a345b35a44bf.jpg

Hey Harmon look what I can do now!  :o

Attaboy TrailGators, nice job.

You once asked for some instruction on photo editing as did Princess Toadstool. So tell me which photo-editing package you intend to use.

Who knows, maybe we'll need a local photo-editing Forum thread. For sure there's some talent amongst locals. Senior Sleuth Sally is certainly a top-notch graphic artist and I've seen some other good work posted.

Just what we need, more photographic wiseguys. By the way, that's the Blue Angels support aircraft that's been chasing you around.

Harmon

400bba75-beaa-472d-8d54-bda3651267ec.jpg

Here's another Blue Angels heart-stopper as a monochrome study. Don't try this at home.

Edited by SD Rowdies
WE'RE IN!! :D :D

Yeah, like he said!!! :o

First question goes to John and he spills the beans...

Jess jumps in with smile and mentions puzzle caches...

Tom makes his opening statement/clarification about what this "Geocaching" is and about the time he started explaining puzzles the interview ended, and here we are!!! B):)

Jess never even got to work her close angle!

We all sorta wobbled out of the PB Bar and Grill (no we didn't drink anything while waiting).... and then it hit!! :D:)B)

WOOOHOOO!!!

OK, so we also mentioned the ace-up-our-sleeve :DB)

Good luck to all!

John&Jess

Woohoo! I did it! Ok, Ok.. so.. if I were in San Diego today, this day would be a little more memorable. Today is the day that I cleared all caches within 10 miles of my house. (that I don't own) :D By the weekend, it will be 30 miles! :o

Caches Near Me

As a reference for the new challenge. This weekend I will bike to the cache called "Seven Falls" on the above list. As the crow flies, it's a mere 21.9 miles from my home. Piece of cake! Not so. It is 40 miles one way of mountain roads ( similar to Sunrise Highway type road ) It will take roughly 3 hours each direction on bike. (of course, it could be a lot less challenging by driving the same road in an hour and a half each way, but that wouldn't be so much fun.)

In order to clear the first ten caches on the above list, I will have to drive to the other side of the island. That's roughly 4 hours each direction. How's that for having to convince my wife into driving 4 hours each direction to clear the closest 10 caches to me!

Oh me me me....

Now, gratz to the new 1k cachers! and FTF too! There are some caches in Japan yet to be found. One is on my top ten list!

Good luck folks! Dloaded the local GPX today for the MTRP caches to peruse the puzzles. It's really full there now. Looks like you would have to trip over caches on the Fortuna Loop!

You once asked for some instruction on photo editing as did Princess Toadstool. So tell me which photo-editing package you intend to use.

Hi Harmon, I am messing with Adobe Photoshop. So far it has not been very user friendly to use. I think using this software requires re-programming your brain to do things in non-intuitive ways. Anyhow, any tips or help you could provide would be most appreciated! :o

Edited by TrailGators

Hi Harmon, I am messing with Adobe Photoshop. So far it has not been very user friendly to use. I think using this software requires re-programming your brain to do things in non-intuitive ways. Anyhow, any tips or help you could provide would be most appreciated! :o

TrailGators,

So I get the impression that you haven't really purchased a photo editor as yet.

If not and you are not planning on doing photo editing for money then just purchase JASC/Corel Paint Shop Pro 9.0. http:\\www.corel.com

That will give you all the functionality you will ever need at much less expense than Adobe Premier. Retail on PSP 9.0 is $129.00 and an upgrade is about $59.00. To upgrade all you need is any older version installed on your machine and that's easy to accomplish. :D

So now tell me what you want to do with a photo editor, and how serious are you about photo editing. WARNING: It can becme an addiction.

Of course I have a selfish reason for supporting your photo-editing interest; that is, what with the growing demands of Homeland Security I have been asked to recruit a squad of Sock Nazis to keep watch on local Geocachers. It seems that there is a high percentage of middle-east terrorists that wear unbunched white socks. One can't be too careful nowadays if y' know what I mean.

05fe2165-5aae-4db5-a658-7a42be378684.jpg

Edited by SD Rowdies
So now tell me what you want to do with a photo editor, and how serious are you about photo editing. WARNING: It can becme an addiction.

I had Paint Shop trial on my PC for a while but the trial ran out and the program kept bugging me to buy it....so I erased it! :) I never figured I'd ever use it. Anyhow last night I was trying to make those callouts on a Photoshop and it took forever. It thought I could just grab a callout and drop it in the photo and type a message but nooooo! I had to hit this star symbol and hit another thing and then select the only callout they had from a dropdown menu. Then I had to change the color from black to white (not sure why the default callout was black). Then I drag and dropped the callout into the photo and resized it. Then I selected that layer and then hit CTRL T so I could flip the callout the other way. Then I hit the text tool and typed a message. Then I repeated this process for the other two callouts.

Question 1: Is there an easier way to do this?

Question 2: How do I extract a person (with a cast on his foot :o ) from a photo and put him into another photo? :D

Finally, if I can master some basic techniques with Photoshop I will become more serious. I'm kind of testing the water right now.....

I had Paint Shop trial on my PC for a while but the trial ran out and the program kept bugging me to buy it....so I erased it! :lol: I never figured I'd ever use it. Anyhow last night I was trying to make those callouts on a Photoshop and it took forever. It thought I could just grab a callout and drop it in the photo and type a message but nooooo! I had to hit this star symbol and hit another thing and then select the only callout they had from a dropdown menu. Then I had to change the color from black to white (not sure why the default callout was black). Then I drag and dropped the callout into the photo and resized it. Then I selected that layer and then hit CTRL T so I could flip the callout the other way. Then I hit the text tool and typed a message. Then I repeated this process for the other two callouts.

Question 1: Is there an easier way to do this?

Question 2: How do I extract a person (with a cast on his foot :lol: ) from a photo and put him into another photo? :lol:

Finally, if I can master some basic techniques with Photoshop I will become more serious. I'm kind of testing the water right now.....

TrailGators,

Which Adobe editor do you have, is it Photoshop Elements 3.0?

Sounds like your first experience is typical and much deserved for planning to pick on a poor ol' man with a broken ankle.

Once I know what application you are using then maybe I can run you through some typical editing tasks. It seems that your first interest is learning to make selections that you can drop into other images with good result. For good results it's a bit tedious but not terribly so. Like anything else, practice makes perfect.

The immediate subject is the use of selection tools and selection editing. As you may have noted an experienced photo editor can turn out a decent image alteration in under a half-hour.

Fact is that Princess Toadstool uses Paint Shop Pro and inquired about the same editing technique. Oddly enough her intent was to alter a photo of me. What did I do to deserve all of this misguided attention?

We'll need to use personal email to keep the Forum users from becoming bored with our special interest.

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

He has Adobe Photoshop CS. That is the full version of Photoshop. It's not Photoshop Elements. RM

Thank you.

Harmon, I agree with you let's take this off line and email for the time being! We could put this in the off topic thread but I think it would get too out of hand with too many people interjecting all kinds of ramblings. However, I think it would be cool if we had a San Diego Off Topic thread to cover stuff like this!

I'm totally bummed that I'm not in a happy place in my life that would allow me to join the "Show me the CACHE" team that will surely whoop a** on the competition on that new NBC show.

Jeff is still incommunicado in Honduras, I hope he gets back in time.

In other news....

... if you want to hear what a complete bozo I made of myself ... next week I'm the guest co-host on the internet geocaching radio show at GeoRadio. My show (episode 4) should go on the 'net on Sunday, May the 22nd.

I even threw out a little plug for the San Diego area. Lemme know what you think.

--Dave, The Cow Spots aka TT the Elder

Edited by The Cow Spots

He has Adobe Photoshop CS. That is the full version of Photoshop. It's not Photoshop Elements. RM

Thank you.

Harmon, I agree with you let's take this off line and email for the time being! We could put this in the off topic thread but I think it would get too out of hand with too many people interjecting all kinds of ramblings. However, I think it would be cool if we had a San Diego Off Topic thread to cover stuff like this!

Perfect. Already responded to your first email. You are about to become a PhotoShop CS2 expert.

Edited by SD Rowdies
I completed Harmon's Photoshop Lesson#1 tonight!

TrailGators excelled on his first lesson. Does he seem proud of his result to you? Check out how Devheads thumb realistically grips that Altoid tin. Daddy Dillon has also joined in for the same editing lessons.

This may be the end of photo postings on San Diego County Geocaches. Everybody is fair game now. Lord only knows what Devhead will be holding onto next time.

Lesson 2 was sent this evening. It is a similar exercise but calls for much more precision in using selection tools. Can't wait to see the results.

I'm so pleased,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies
Looking to go paperless -

Did not get a chance to stay to the end of the 'Paperless Caching' Event

For a first time PDA User - What is your recommendation?

Take it off topic ( My $0.02 ) ;) JK!

Check out the Paperless Event cache page. Rocket man posted a lot of great info on that site after the event!

Take it off topic ( My $0.02 ) ;) JK!

Check out the Paperless Event cache page. Rocket man posted a lot of great info on that site after the event!

Here is a link to the event page. RM

I had a Palm M500 that was underused, until I discovered I could use it with Cachemate ($8.00) for Geocaching.

When I was caching with Princess Toadstool, my older Palm was actually easier to read out in bright sunlight than her color Palm was, so I would recommend getting an older Palm like mine on eBay (or elsewhere), as opposed to buying a more expensive, newer model.

I became a Premium Member, bought Cachemate, and registered GSAK, all within a matter of weeks.

I can't imagine caching from printed cache pages. Cachemate has the hints, as well as the past logs . . . which have been helpful when I've been stumped.

:P It also has descriptions of more than 500 caches in it . . . :D

When I was caching with Princess Toadstool, my older Palm was actually easier to read out in bright sunlight than her color Palm was, so I would recommend getting an older Palm like mine on eBay (or elsewhere), as opposed to buying a more expensive, newer model.

You might tell Princess Toadstoll to try adjusting the contrast on her Palm. Several of the folks that got the Zire 31 color model have had similar problems reading the unit in sunlight, but if the contrast is adjusted properly for those conditions, it is much more readable.

Dave

Harmon, Trailgators, et al.

Please don't stop posting the Photoshoped photos to this thread. I know that Trailgators started a new thread for you guys to talk techie talk about Photoshop, but there is no reason to stop posting the photos here. Funny photos of San Diego folks are definitely not off topic!

Dave

Edit: Here is some fresh material for you guys (Rocket Man from this cache back in 2002):

736154_200.jpg

Edited by Rocket Man
Harmon, Trailgators, et al.

Please don't stop posting the Photoshoped photos to this thread.  I know that Trailgators started a new thread for you guys to talk techie talk about Photoshop, but there is no reason to stop posting the photos here.  Funny photos of San Diego folks are definitely not off topic!

Dave

Hi Dave, How about if keep the photos (output) in this thread and the lessons and all the banter in the other thread?

It's Official -- Night Hunter bagged his KILO today at Fear Factor:  Up The Rat Hole.

CONGRATS!!

:P  :D  :P  :D  :D  :D

It certainly is the season for 1K milestone achievement. Congrats to Night Hunter, one of our local caching pioneers! Well done.

-Gecko Dad

Thanks everybody...

It has been about two months since I have been on the Thread. So let me put out the congratulations to Rocket Man, Chuy, and Kawikaturn on thier 1K milestones as well.

Also thanks Flagman for the Birthday/3rd Geocaching wishes. I'm a little late on that too.

Congratulations on the 1K Nighthunter............

Hope you remembered to sign your name!!!!! hahaha

The Splashes

Talking of congratulations, the Splashes passed the 2500 mark not so long ago. A simple "well done" really doesn't suffice here, but it's all I've got.

Congrats to everyone on their recent (and future) milestones!

(Oh, and keep your eyes peeled for a new puzzle cache from me, I should be placing it tonight and submitting the page shortly thereafter.)

Congratulations on the 1K Nighthunter............

Hope you remembered to sign your name!!!!!  hahaha

The Splashes

Talking of congratulations, the Splashes passed the 2500 mark not so long ago. A simple "well done" really doesn't suffice here, but it's all I've got.

Congrats to everyone on their recent (and future) milestones!

(Oh, and keep your eyes peeled for a new puzzle cache from me, I should be placing it tonight and submitting the page shortly thereafter.)

Wow, I didn't know that either! Congrats to the Splashes too on achieving 2500!!! :o

Well...greetings to everyone from Honduras! I'm on a little island called Roatan on the north coast of the country enjoying my time scuba diving. Congrats to everyone reaching a milestone and a big Whoo-hoo to FlagMan and J&J for convincing NBC that they are camera worthy.

I even found a geocache here. One called "Moon over Roatan". Very cute. I'll upload some photos when I get back so Harmon can have his fun.

Hope that hurricane in the pacific makes it over this way and I get an extra day stranded in paradise. Otherwise..be back on Saturday.

--TT--